Yog-Sothothery Newsletter Read more... ×
PoC

Cthulhu Wars (A Sandy Petersen Game)

Carcosa

Yes this game would probably be my favorite boardgame of all time. Cannot afford the kickstarter right now (I am doing Cthulhu 7e) but I hope the game will be available somewhere after the kickstarter is finished!!! Good work Sandy!!

Oh yeah, and while it is kind of expensive, all those miniatures make that price actually fairly reasonable for what you are getting.

Carcosa

I couldn't hold out and ordered the game. I will probably not get this paid off before either this or the CoC 7e project arrive, so I will have to live out of cans of beans and tuna for several months to pay this off!!

Carcosa

Don't worry I won't actually be living out of canned tuna and beans...

SandyPetersen

Obviously for any board game, play value is to an extent subjective. I love Twilight Imperium, but my oldest son loathes it (though usually our tastes run similarly). I do have this one data point on Cthulhu Wars to take into consideration.

I have been testing it with a group of former co-workers of mine at Robot Entertainment, stealing their once-a-week boardgame night for my playtest purposes. We've been doing this since February of this year. These guys know nothing about Cthulhu. A couple times I felt guilty about using up their game night, and offered to play some other game with them. Every time, they demanded to p\lay Cthulhu Wars instead. They love the game. In fact, I was unable to go to Robot for the last two weeks, and one of them came on his own initiative to my house Friday night because I said we'd be playing it. He is "Brian" from the gameplay video - the quiet guy. Also they have not been playing with the "real" miniatures - but with substitutes. The Dark Young they used, for instance, were triremes taken from another game. The undead were musketeers. So without any of the visual panoply or history of the Mythos, they have been taken by the actual play of the game itself.

But of course the neat figures just make it all better, in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that humans are not a faction lacking in my own collection of figures is, in fact, for me an argument against at least a normally-arranged human faction. I have been pondering and testing a very unusual human faction, however, and it might be a little more cool for those of us who like HPL figures. For instance, instead of "human soldier" a figure might be "Herbert West". You heard it here first.

I can see how some folks would be excited for a human faction, but for me part of the draw is using this as an opportunity to pick up 28mm scale miniatures of GOOs and their minions, particularly more obscure ones. In terms of practicality, I'd rather see figures available of Hounds of Tindalos or Yithians first, before we get humans and vehicles I could scavenge from other miniature games. Adding humans certainly isn't a deal-breaker, but it wouldn't be a must-have faction.

Overall, I have to say that this feels like the game of a lifetime, one I've waited almost 4 decades to see come to fruition. Well done!

Carcosa

I have a few different boardgaming groups in the area, so I will be able to get a couple sessions in per week if I can find the time!

christian

Sandy and crew have posted this:

Great News for our International Backers!!!

Update #36 · Jun 17, 2013 · 36 comments

After consulting with several logistics companies, we are happy to announce that we will be able to help you save money on import taxes. Because pledges on Kickstarter are explicitly for the "funding of a project in a pre-retail environment," we can ship our products to you with a declared commercial value equal to the core manufacturing cost, rather than your full pledge amount. This should save a lot on any VAT taxes which may apply. We are also exploring other options which could potentially provide additional savings, including manufacturing and distribution from within the E.U.

The effect of this post have been curious. The announcement of a possible drop in the overall tax has created some disquiet because many European backers, it seems, hoped for what is still hinted at in the last part of the update: "We are also exploring other options which could potentially provide additional savings, including manufacturing and distribution from within the E.U. "

PoC

I've just completed a phone interview with Sandy about Cthulhu Wars and Kickstarters, it should be on YSDC tomorrow.

revnye

Sweet! Thanks, Paul.

Carcosa

Human factions sound cool with Herbert West and Lovecraft etc. Glad you are not doing tanks or mechs like CthulhuTech Sandy!!

Furongian

I'm fairly excited about the game, but what has my motor really running is the miniatures. Does anyone know what kind of plastic they are made of and if they can be painted? Given the level of detail I'm guessing they are cast in polymer plastic and if so they will take paint well, but it would be good to find out for sure.

rbiddle

Sandy, any chance you or your team are going to BGGCON in Dallas this November?

It seems like a great place to demo your game some, and there'd be tons of volunteers to play and give feedback (my wife and I are going and would love to).

CthulhuLives

Reading the rules, and this line perplexed me:

The Attacker (the faction which initiated the Battle) does any Pre-Battle effects first, followed by the Defender. (For instance, if Cthulhu is the Attacker, and Crawling Chaos chooses a Nightgaunt to be devoured, that Nightgaunt cannot use Abduct.)

Is that supposed to read:

"For instance, if Cthulhu is the Attacker, and chooses a Nightgaunt to be devoured"

Because that makes more sense.

Also, and more concerning is the battle system, it all seems too luck based.

Roll one die per combat point

6 = Kill

4,5 = Pain

1,2,3 = nothing?

Right there you are feeding the huge gaping maw of the Gods of Luck, that make all the Great Old Ones shake in fear.

50% of the time nothing happens? It is quite likely that a player with only a few combat points will achieve absolutely nothing in a battle. Or if the Gods are smiling, can roll straight 6’s and win the battle.

4,5 = pain = retreat. But:

If one or more units cannot retreat, Kill one of the Pained units, and the rest may remain in the area with no further penalty.

So for example a player rolls 8 dice, and gets 6 pain results and no kill. But because of the board placement at that time all that results is one kill. If the board had allowed that player to retreat, the result would have been that up to 6 units retreat. That’s a big difference, and totally controlled by luck.

Just my 2c, I doubt my humble post will have any effect on the game at this late stage.

Afraid of the dark

Well it is a board game, that relies on luck, just as Snakes and Ladders would! That said, board games are becoming more adult, so perhaps with the game being so popular, there might be add on supplements, rules etc.

geronimo

Long time lurker here, first time poster.

We're the ones lucky enough to be responsible for producing the master models for the minis in Cthulhu Wars and I have to say, the whole thing has been an immensely enjoyable experience. The success of the KS thus far has been the icing on the cake as far as we're concerned :)

christian

Great to have you here among us. As a european, I sincerely hope Sandy and fenris games will find a way to send the games to europeans from inside the EU... The minis are excellent

Shimmin Beg
Cthulhu is the Attacker, and Crawling Chaos chooses a Nightgaunt to be devoured, that Nightgaunt cannot use Abduct.

My guess would be that Cthulhu's devouring ability devours one target, but the Defending player (Nyarly) gets to choose which of their units is lost. Thus:

1) Cthulhu initiates a Battle

2) Pre-Battle:

2a) Cthulhu's Pre-Battle powers go first. Cthulhu's Devouring ability kicks off, so Nyarly must lose a unit. Nyarly chooses a Nightgaunt to lose.

2b) Nyarly's Pre-Battle powers happen. Any remaining undevoured Nightgaunts can use Abduct.

3) Battle occurs.

Having the owning player choose units to lose is a common rule that prevents auto-kill abilities from unbalancing a game by always taking out the enemy's most powerful creatures.

geronimo
Great to have you here among us. As a european, I sincerely hope Sandy and fenris games will find a way to send the games to europeans from inside the EU... The minis are excellent

We're working on it. Iirc Sandy will have definite news some time next week.

CthulhuLives
My guess would be that Cthulhu's devouring ability devours one target, but the Defending player (Nyarly) gets to choose which of their units is lost. Thus:

1) Cthulhu initiates a Battle

2) Pre-Battle:

2a) Cthulhu's Pre-Battle powers go first. Cthulhu's Devouring ability kicks off, so Nyarly must lose a unit. Nyarly chooses a Nightgaunt to lose.

2b) Nyarly's Pre-Battle powers happen. Any remaining undevoured Nightgaunts can use Abduct.

3) Battle occurs.

Having the owning player choose units to lose is a common rule that prevents auto-kill abilities from unbalancing a game by always taking out the enemy's most powerful creatures.

Oh that makes sense, thanks!

revnye

Also, and more concerning is the battle system, it all seems too luck based.

Roll one die per combat point

6 = Kill

4,5 = Pain

1,2,3 = nothing?

Right there you are feeding the huge gaping maw of the Gods of Luck, that make all the Great Old Ones shake in fear.

50% of the time nothing happens? It is quite likely that a player with only a few combat points will achieve absolutely nothing in a battle. Or if the Gods are smiling, can roll straight 6’s and win the battle.

4,5 = pain = retreat. But:

If one or more units cannot retreat, Kill one of the Pained units, and the rest may remain in the area with no further penalty.

So for example a player rolls 8 dice, and gets 6 pain results and no kill. But because of the board placement at that time all that results is one kill. If the board had allowed that player to retreat, the result would have been that up to 6 units retreat. That’s a big difference, and totally controlled by luck.

Just my 2c, I doubt my humble post will have any effect on the game at this late stage.

Many games use dice like this, counting on odds to even out effects while still giving variations in results.

There are several very popular wargames (of the board variety) that use a similar system, with a hit occurring on a 5-6.

If combat was completely mechanical, players could determine the outcome at a glance. How much fun would that be?

SandyPetersen

Yes, the defender chooses WHICH unit for Cthulhu do Devour. Similarly, if the Nightgaunt performs his Abduct, the defender chooses who the Nightgaunt flies away with.

Actually it is quite difficult to surround an area pre-Combat and cause a unit to "pop" or fail to retreat. It never happens once in probably 75% of the games played, and when it DOES happen, it is because one of the players planned carefully to pull it off. So whether or not a unit can retreat is really not luck.

There is absolutely luck involved in the game. It is not a pure euro-type game.

CthulhuLives
Yes, the defender chooses WHICH unit for Cthulhu do Devour. Similarly, if the Nightgaunt performs his Abduct, the defender chooses who the Nightgaunt flies away with.

Actually it is quite difficult to surround an area pre-Combat and cause a unit to "pop" or fail to retreat. It never happens once in probably 75% of the games played, and when it DOES happen, it is because one of the players planned carefully to pull it off. So whether or not a unit can retreat is really not luck.

There is absolutely luck involved in the game. It is not a pure euro-type game.

OK, that clarifies aspects of gameplay, but one question remains:

"euro-type game"

Euro-Type?

What's that?

revnye
OK, that clarifies aspects of gameplay, but one question remains:

"euro-type game"

Euro-Type?

What's that?

Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, 7 Wonders, Agricola, etc.

Carcosa

Yes, but I think he (she?) is asking what exactly defines those as Euro-games... that they are short, resource oriented games? not sure what else might describe or define them better...

revnye
Yes, but I think he (she?) is asking what exactly defines those as Euro-games... that they are short, resource oriented games? not sure what else might describe or define them better...

Okay, good point. I would say that Euro-games in general can be described as "Games that typically revolve around a point scoring mechanism with a veneer of theme pasted on, mostly absent of player on player conflict."

In a Euro Game, in most cases the same system could be used directly with another theme without any changes.