PoC

Cthulhu Wars (A Sandy Petersen Game)

christian

Like Keith Herber and Lynn Willis, Sandy Petersen is one of my heroes. On the morning of the day Cthulhu Wars was to launch ( but I did not know that), Kickstarter informed me that Sandy had backed THIS Kickstarter:

I looked, found it very very cool, and pledged

Then a few hours later the Cthulhu Wars KS started, and its awesomeness dragged me in, credit card ablaze, right away.

The game looks great, the minis are OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD, and I'm confident that the gameplay will be worth it.

But apart from that, I feel that we are all part of a tribe. A tribe in which even the GOOs like Sandy can, on the morning of the launch of one the great ventures of their lives, act like usual everyday geeks and pledge for an old-time practical creature FX film with Lance Henriksen. And I love that

synthboy

Coming at the same times the 7e Kickstarter along with international shipping and exchange rates means that I'm probably only going to be able to back one and I think 7e will win out as I'll probably get more use from it (and it's more affordable) but, dammit, I really want this game! Maybe a distant relative will be bequeath me some strange, twisted gold jewelry that I have to collect from their remote ancestral home during a storm...

ElijahWhateley
I got into gaming because it was a cheap hobby and I was poor.

What happened?

Circa 1981, It all started with me giving up on comics and saving my ducats for that little red box.

If you buy used games, download free material form the Internet, and play them to death, it's still cheap. Funding the cutting edge is expensive.

DavetheLost

I still play some games I bought in the seventies!

PDFs have been a great boon to cheap gaming.

I think this would be an ideal game for a club or group to split the purchase price on. Sadly I am going it alone. It is not cheap, but it looks well worth the price. I play board games and wargames of various sorts and the prices on those have jumped too.

SandyPetersen

We are in fact providing a pdf of the rules and other materials at the $10 level so if you want to Go It Cheap it is possible. I am sympathetic to fans with cash-flow issues. Heck, I spent the last 30 months with no cash flow of my own.

dce

The more updates I read describing what this game is trying to achieve, the more I like the sound of it (BTW there were numerous updates today; so go check the KS page for a bunch of extra information!)

It seems to me like a board-game version of what the Trail of Cthulhu guys were starting to do (in RPG terms) with Cthulhu Apocalypse -- start the game with the "end times" where the GOOs awake and just see where things go from there. Of course this time you are cheering for the GOOs to win.

Actually I can imagine this game being a nice thing to play as the global-level finale to a CoC or ToC campaign in which the Investigators fail to stop the rise of the Mythos nasties. Or maybe you could even build an RPG "end-times" campaign between turns of the boardgame ... ?

It's all looking VERY cool :-)

Dean (from Adelaide)

SandyPetersen

I will say that the humiliating abject failure of my previous kickstarter taught me a lot of good lessons, and is one of the reasons that THIS kickstarter has managed to fund.

SandyPetersen

that is a really interesting idea dce.

Another thing - and hey, this is now a Yog-Sothoth.com EXCLUSIVE -- we have been thinking about adding a HUMAN faction to the game. It would not work like a normal monster faction, of course. Instead, you would have plot rings of investigators who would take actions such as closing Gates, blocking the other factions' access to Power, and so forth. What I am hoping to do with it is have the humans start off really strong, but then deteriorate through the course of the game, so by the end they are clinging by their toenails while the Doom track draws ever nearer to its end and the world falls apart.

I am also hoping to add SPECIFIC humans to the plot rings, so each ring would center around a specific character. Herbert West, for instance.

DoctorCyclopean

I hate the very day I first discovered Kickstarter. I'm already in for Heroes of Zed and Deluxe Tunnels and Trolls--and now this, with all the add-on kits and maps. Now I have to go check out the Coc 7th Edition. . . .

DavetheLost

Deluxe Tunnels&Trolls, OGRE: Designer's Edition, Cthulhu Wars. KS has eaten my wallet too. Still on the fence about 7e.

Armitage

I like the idea that Sandy decided to produce a quality game. Doubled sided map boards and gorgeous figures make Cthulhu Wars a hard game to resist. I just wish he hadn't released it the same time as 7th edition was being released.

Shimmin Beg
I can see using it alongside a CoC campaign, with scenarios themed in to what's going on in the board game, and the balance of Cthulhu Wars power shifting based on some of the outcomes.

Coming back to this thought: Games Workshop and WOTC did various things with worldwide campaigns. Play scenarios based on events in the storyline, change the storyline based on the average scenario results... Perhaps YSDC might host a Cthulhu Wars version..?

rbiddle
that is a really interesting idea dce.

Another thing - and hey, this is now a Yog-Sothoth.com EXCLUSIVE -- we have been thinking about adding a HUMAN faction to the game. It would not work like a normal monster faction, of course. Instead, you would have plot rings of investigators who would take actions such as closing Gates, blocking the other factions' access to Power, and so forth. What I am hoping to do with it is have the humans start off really strong, but then deteriorate through the course of the game, so by the end they are clinging by their toenails while the Doom track draws ever nearer to its end and the world falls apart.

I am also hoping to add SPECIFIC humans to the plot rings, so each ring would center around a specific character. Herbert West, for instance.

I would LOVE to see a human faction added as an addon.

And a YSDC Exclusive would be an awesome idea.

SandyPetersen

I am even tossing around two human factions - one would be the Investigator faction, consisting of ... well, you know. And the other would be the Authorities faction. The two factions would not necessarily be friends.

AdamAlexander

I think the addition of human factions is a great idea.

Armitage
I am even tossing around two human factions - one would be the Investigator faction, consisting of ... well, you know. And the other would be the Authorities faction. The two factions would not necessarily be friends.

Adding human factions would definitely add another level to the game. The investigator faction would be commando like while the Authorities would have assets like helicopters, airplanes and submarines (cruise missile a gate site). Oh yeah, I'm very interested.

christian

Sandy, you rock

I love the way you got up from the failure of the first KS and beautifully managed this one.

Thomas Phinney

Just to be clear, I did NOT share Kara’s take on the game as “glorified Risk.†But as she had played it, and I had only watched, I thought it was worth reporting. I thought the game seemed entertaining and fun, but the luck level seemed higher than I would like, which would hurt my long-term interest.

But man the minis are stunning in person. I know the photos look good, but the minis are if anything nicer than the photos.

ElijahWhateley

Two human factions sounds a bit like overkill. Although I suppose there's that cruel empire of Tsan-Chan that pops up around 5,000 AD...

rbiddle

Sandy, any possibility of a bundle of the expansions or map packs?

Not that I'm trying to penny-pinch (although I am), but with 7e and this, my wants a FAR exceeding the amount I want to spend :)

rbiddle
Sandy, any possibility of a bundle of the expansions or map packs?

Not that I'm trying to penny-pinch (although I am), but with 7e and this, my wants a FAR exceeding the amount I want to spend :)

Ignore me... I just saw the update for the map bundle and expansion bundle coming soon.

Thanks!!

Thaoworra

I can see how some folks would be excited for a human faction, but for me part of the draw is using this as an opportunity to pick up 28mm scale miniatures of GOOs and their minions, particularly more obscure ones. In terms of practicality, I'd rather see figures available of Hounds of Tindalos or Yithians first, before we get humans and vehicles I could scavenge from other miniature games. Adding humans certainly isn't a deal-breaker, but it wouldn't be a must-have faction.

Overall, I have to say that this feels like the game of a lifetime, one I've waited almost 4 decades to see come to fruition. Well done!

ratcatcher

Cthulhu Wars broke the $500k mark overnight! (With Call at ~220k, not that it's a competition) Congratulations. I'm still stunned by how will it has done.

PoC

A game play overview has been posted.

[video=youtube;ihNtr7mb8-c]

The board in the video looks even bigger than I thought.

ragnarhedin

The game looks fantastic, though I'm going to hold off on pledging until I have a slightly better idea as to the depth and replayability of the game. And of course I would love if each expansion faction for CW wasn't the price of a standard high end boxed game on its own.