JudoMonk

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Kickstarter

Zed Lopez
Hi folks. I'll be talking with Chaosium about the Kickstarter tomorrow. I can't make any promises, but I will raise any issues, requests or questions that are posted on this thread. We want to know what you think so please let us know.

I'd like to know more about what "cleaner page layout" means. Who's doing the graphic design? Can we be assured no white-on-black text? The Cthulhu game I played in at the aforementioned con featured repeated instances of the GM squinting at tables in the 6th edition and then handing it to a player asking if he could read it.

The_Tatterdemalion_King
I'd like to know more about what "cleaner page layout" means. Who's doing the graphic design? Can we be assured no white-on-black text?

Ask them.

delrio
To be honest I long ago became completely disenchanted with the 6th edition and went back to using the old early 5.whatever (Chaosium could remove a major thorn from its own foot by eschewing fractional document release numbers in its future editions in my opinion) to run games as I can at least find stuff in it when I need to and the game it presents is actually playable from the content.

Is 5.x actually that different from 6? I learned the game ages back using someone's photocopied 1st or 2nd edition, and eventually bought both 4th and 5th. These days I use 6, just because it's what I have to hand. All the versions of the game that I've played felt substantially similar to me... I'm sure they've tweaked some things over the years, but from an actual gameplay perspective I can't say I really notice all that much difference. If someone held a gun to my head and said "WHICH VERSION??" I'd probably pick 4th, but that's due to peripheral reasons, such as I liked the fold-out size chart with the Dhole sprawled across the equivalent of 3 or 4 pages - it always got an Oh Sh-t reaction from players. :8E:

synthboy
Hi folks. I'll be talking with Chaosium about the Kickstarter tomorrow. I can't make any promises, but I will raise any issues, requests or questions that are posted on this thread. We want to know what you think so please let us know.

Hi Paul.

My concern/questions is that the prices seem a little steep, especially at the PDF level (even more so when you consider what the Achtung Cthulhu Kickstarter was offering). Is there anything more concrete about what the stretch goals are likely to be? I'm probably looking at softcover (for various reasons): any chance of PDFs being bundled with those as well? Additionally, is there any news on what else Chaosium is going to be bringing out to support 7e? I'm going to want this for completeness but I'd also hope that my/our contributions are going to be a way for Chaoisum to hopefully reinvent and restart this game we all so love.

Zed Lopez
Is 5.x actually that different from 6?

This is the most thorough answer I've seen.

Zed Lopez

Ah! Badger McInnes did nice work on Cthulhu by Gaslight and I'll rest easy about the layout.

Fallingtower

My number one question is of course, 'be it colour'd and glossy or be it black and white'?

HomoLupusDomesticus
I've just checked with Chaosium and you should be ok using PayPal

Mike

So, how exactly does one donate using PayPal without using a credit card or Amazon acount?

Was thinking I wouldn't go for this, but what the wotsit. Confused by the shipping though, so have just messaged Chaosium via Kickstarter. I want to back at $100 but currently baffled by whether I need to add $20 or $22 for international shipping.

That would be $22 dollars.

Shawn_Kehoe
Hi Paul.

My concern/questions is that the prices seem a little steep, especially at the PDF level (even more so when you consider what the Achtung Cthulhu Kickstarter was offering). Is there anything more concrete about what the stretch goals are likely to be? I'm probably looking at softcover (for various reasons): any chance of PDFs being bundled with those as well? Additionally, is there any news on what else Chaosium is going to be bringing out to support 7e? I'm going to want this for completeness but I'd also hope that my/our contributions are going to be a way for Chaoisum to hopefully reinvent and restart this game we all so love.

I feel that pain - shipping costs kept me to just getting the core books for Achtung! Cthulhu. Thankfully for me, this project has a Canadian shipping option. :)

Badger
Ah! Badger McInnes did nice work on Cthulhu by Gaslight and I'll rest easy about the layout.

Thanks, Zed! :) I'm gonna do my best...

Cheers,

-=b

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

I won't participate in the Kickstarter (for various reasons mentioned before) but still wished to congratulate the authors for completing this project.

It is not because the game isn't for me that it won't please lots of others.

I'm kind of sad that, to me, CoC isn't good old CoC anymore and that Chaosium decided to change a game that IMHO needed only minor revisions and cleanups but to each his own.

So once again, sincere congratulations to the authors. I know they put in a lot of hard work in delivering their vision of Call of Cthulhu.

Lisa

I'm confused -- I sent a query on the kickstarter page. But, basically, this is two books, one for Keepers and one for Investigators?

The funny thing is that if the authors did it independently of Chaosium, I'd be feeling better about the kickstarter. This is not fair to Chaosium, as the HotOE kickstarter is not yet late or a disappointment or anything of the sort. Chaosium has not yet developed any kickstarter reputation I consider justified, and won't until it does or doesn't follow through (or hits some point on the continuum between Does and Doesn't) on the first one.

Butters
I won't participate in the Kickstarter (for various reasons mentioned before) but still wished to congratulate the authors for completing this project.

It is not because the game isn't for me that it won't please lots of others.

I'm kind of sad that, to me, CoC isn't good old CoC anymore and that Chaosium decided to change a game that IMHO needed only minor revisions and cleanups but to each his own.

So once again, sincere congratulations to the authors. I know they put in a lot of hard work in delivering their vision of Call of Cthulhu.

I will probably back it if they get the Pledge levels sorted out, but I agree with your sentiments both on congratulating the Authors and the dismay at what they thought needed changing. It seems to have lost something and become just another way to play in the Lovecraft universe. Which is not a bad thing but its not quite Call of Cthulhu any more.

Cthulhugh

One thing that the lads mentioned in the MU Podcast that I thought was an exceptional idea was the whole concept of optional rules so that new and experienced players can play the type of game they want to play.

As for the books themselves, to be truthful I hadn’t given thought to should they be in colour or black and white till now, I’d prefer it in full colour-maybe more colour options in the books with yet to be announced stretch goals?

Time will tell.

Eudaimic

Very much looking forward to this (although I just bought a 6.0 PDF yesterday evening. DOH!). I would say though, that the prices for printed copies are a little steep; I'll think I'll wait those out.

ElijahWhateley
I'll take it as a given that nothing is "for sure" until you've got the book in your hand. That said, I was inquiring about the scale of the changes under consideration. You know, out of curiosity. The threads in MrBlueSky's list were about presentation, not rules content. I'm interested in that, too, but when someone said they had playtested the actual new game content, I was of course curious to hear (from someone who has first-hand knowledge) whether there might be big changes for a game that hasn't had a really substantive overhaul since I started playing it 20+ years ago.

edit: actually I see that paladin answered the question, and that "yes" big changes are (or were) at least under consideration - thanks!

I was a playtester, and in my opinion, the proposed changes did not make a big change to the rules. However, other people very strongly disagreed, and felt that the playtest version did make a very big change. I won't go into explanations of either opinion, but they can be found in those previous threads.

Laraqua

I'm going to keep an open mind. I've always found the rules a bit clunky (don't hit me) but that was probably because they're all about the place and difficult to find. Simple lay out changes might have solved that for me. Of course, the rule changes might be awesome. They might be crud. I hope that those of you who won't purchase it take a look if one of your friends do just to see if your fears are justified. There's absolutely no reason you have to move to a updated system but you never know ... you might actually be won over and come to prefer it!

As for the Kickstarter, I can understand the hesitation. Kickstarters are massive enterprises. I haven't done one myself but I've been following along with my Tenra Bansho purchase and the guy running that show has sent us consistent emails letting us know how things are going and its slow going and busy work. It'd be easy to get snowed under by having two Kickstarters going and I don't envy any who try it. Hopefully Chaosium hire on a few casuals to help them through it.

jcfiala
Very much looking forward to this (although I just bought a 6.0 PDF yesterday evening. DOH!). I would say though, that the prices for printed copies are a little steep; I'll think I'll wait those out.

Okay, I keep hearing that, and I don't understand it. It's no more expensive than buying the books from Chaosium now. The cost (in the us) for both books in softcover is $75, representing the $70 funding level and $5 shipping.

Looking on Amazon.com, the current Manufacturer price for the main core book is $35, and the price for the Investigator's companion is $30. And this totals up to... $75.

Now, admittedly, you can buy these books for something like $45 currently on Amazon, because they discount stuff. But in addition to getting the softcover books, you're also getting both pdfs, which Chaosium is willing to give out for $30. So, it still sounds reasonable to me.

So, $75 sounds like a chunk of money, but for two reasonably sized softcover books, I don't think it's unreasonable at all.

Moths

The tiers seem exhorbinately priced for a B&W book. The art we've seen is passable, but compared to previous and foreign-language editions it's... well, bad. Why aren't you offering something of that calliber? I wanted the French one and I can barely read French. Or look at the Spanish Collector's edition. It's gorgeous.

I got an impression that the books currently on KS are intended to be a starting-point or baseline to improved upon, and that the "final" books will be worth the asking price - but getting people to latch onto a new edition is an uphill climb and you're asking people to bet a lot that they (and their groups) will adopt it.

We watched the rest of the world get fantastic books and sets, but made do with our lackluster English 30th Anniversary printing. It seemed like the big guns and art assets were aimed at the rumored 7e, right around the corner. I admit these were high hopes, but I don't consider them unreasonable. Why can't we take the pretty foreign books and put words I can read in them?

gladius

Based on the Kickstarter being 75% funded after a mere 12 hours, I'm guessing we'll see stretch goals pretty soon, so some of the concerns voiced here are likely to be addressed well before the end of the 31-day KS campaign. 366 backers in 12 hours - not a bad start.

dce
Why can't we take the pretty foreign books and put words I can read in them?

While I agree with this sentiment -- I'd love to see something like that, too -- I doubt it's as simple as that. I would imagine that the Euro licensees own the rights to their own designs, so to re-use them in an English-language 7th Edition book would probably mean that Chaosium would need to pay $$$ to the French/Spanish publishers and probably also to the original artists as well. That may be an option ... but it wouldn't surprise me if Chaosium went via the different route of buying/commissioning their own art and relying on the considerable talents of Badger to put together something equally beautiful.

Like others here, my fingers are crossed that one or several of the stretch goals for the KS will be "If we reach $XYZ, we will add extra full-colour art plates into books" or "If we reach $XYZ, both books will be full-colour throughout". Mind you, if that happens ... the current projected schedule for the delivery of two sizeable books is going to make the creation of substantial new and beautful artworks a bit of a challenge.

Dean (from Adelaide)

GraaEminense

Hereabouts, Cthulhu is the go-to game when you want to run something. Not just Noun of Cthulhu, but also homebrews, diceless or Cthulufied versions of other systems. The Old Ones are alive and well, I think.

Supported the Kickstarter, since I´d be buying these anyway and am excited for a new edition (never did pick up 6th). Not thrilled with the Kickstarter though, the backer levels are a mess. Why is it so hard to have levels of PDF1, PDF2, both PDFs, book 1 softcover, book 2 softcover, both softcovers, book 1 hardcover, book 2 hardcover, both hardcovers, then add luxury levels? And why on earth are not the PDFs automatically included with the books?

StephanieMcAlea

Well I know they'll be using some new art. Mine. I shall be drawing the maps.

PaulFricker

Synthboy - Not much I can do about the pdf pricing I'm afraid - Chaosium set the prices and they've priced the pdfs in line with that of the other pdfs they sell on their site.

Falling tower - Chaosium want to raise the standard through stretch goals. I'm confident we'll see colour.

Lisa - The Keeper's rulebook is the standard rulebook, akin to the present rulebook. The Investigators (players) book is similar to the present Investigator's companion, though the actual content is new and varied; lots of occupations, investigator groups, 1920s info etc. Does that clarify sufficiently?