JudoMonk

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Kickstarter

paladin2769

Yeah, I was disappointed about the Mi-Go illustration as well. And Shub Niggurath must have had a face lift of sorts, as I don't recognize her now. I fear that the whole lot of creatures, et al will get a makeover. I only hope they come out better than some of the costume choices from the New 52 DCU.

Fallingtower
Yeah, I was disappointed about the Mi-Go illustration as well. And Shub Niggurath must have had a face lift of sorts, as I don't recognize her now. I fear that the whole lot of creatures, et al will get a makeover.

Oh yeah, you're right I thought the second illustration was a shoggoth, not Lumpy Space Princess Niggurath.

yockenthwaite

Was thinking I wouldn't go for this, but what the wotsit. Confused by the shipping though, so have just messaged Chaosium via Kickstarter. I want to back at $100 but currently baffled by whether I need to add $20 or $22 for international shipping.

MechSpike

Welp. Gotta save some money for this. I'm really bummed about their tier choices. I really want a Keeper's softcover and an Investigators PDF, but to get those two together I have to pledge $100? Lame.

jcfiala
Welp. Gotta save some money for this. I'm really bummed about their tier choices. I really want a Keeper's softcover and an Investigators PDF, but to get those two together I have to pledge $100? Lame.

Well, what I did was pledged at the $30 level to get both pdfs, and I'll wait and see if and how I can upgrade later to get different results. If nothing else, I can wait for the books to come out and pick them up over time to have physical copies. (IE, using store credit, gift cards, or secondhand copies.)

paladin2769

I would be thrilled to finally get a form-fillable Call of Cthulhu character sheet. Can we run it up the flagpole and see who salutes over at Chaosium?

Also, I would highly doubt that this is the only way to get these books. I mean, they have to go for sale at the regular retail level shortly thereafter, right? Unless all the local game shops have to get them via the Kickstarter.

The thing is that we are paying now to have our voices heard as to what we want in the book (so to speak) and pay for it ala carte, more or less. And get it before it goes on sale elsewhere. :)

MechSpike
Well, what I did was pledged at the $30 level to get both pdfs, and I'll wait and see if and how I can upgrade later to get different results. If nothing else, I can wait for the books to come out and pick them up over time to have physical copies. (IE, using store credit, gift cards, or secondhand copies.)

I did think about doing the same...but I really like having a physical copy of the Keeper's book. My 6th edition I got used through a weird freak accident at a comic shop. (Called to see if they had one, they didn't, but a random customer overhearing the conversation said he had one in his car that he would sell to the store.) It's been worn and torn through use since then and I really would like a new one. *Sigh* I might just get the PDFs...

Fallingtower

I keep staring at the Mi-Go artwork...I'm not digging it. At all.

I will support the project still, probably going with the pdf option (gonna wait til payday).

I'm big on artwork, so if I end up liking the finished product I will pick up the hardbacks at my local shoppe.

C'mon Chaosium, please blow my mind with some wicked artwork. Make us proud.

I'd love to see a full colour, glossy hardbound. That would be my dream.

Something that looks like the D20 Cthulhu or Trail of Cthulhu books would be awesome.

paladin2769

Wow, that's a funny story, MechSpike. I have sold comics from my collection like that, except in person while overhearing the conversation, rather via telephone. I made sure it was ok with the store or else they would have been upset that I was trying to "compete" with them.

- - - Updated - - -

I checked out the artist's website. He's done work with Chaosium before but it's not my style either. I don't begrudge him at all, but I'd rather see the same art get re-used for the monsters than his.

We can get a full color glossy hardcover. We just have to pay for it, quite possibly with blood. Not necessarily our own, mind you. ;)

I agree, I like the D20 version and Trail version in terms of layout and design.

Pookie
I keep staring at the Mi-Go artwork...I'm not digging it. At all.

I will support the project still, probably going with the pdf option (gonna wait til payday).

I'm big on artwork, so if I end up liking the finished product I will pick up the hardbacks at my local shoppe.

C'mon Chaosium, please blow my mind with some wicked artwork. Make us proud.

I'd love to see a full colour, glossy hardbound. That would be my dream.

Something that looks like the D20 Cthulhu or Trail of Cthulhu books would be awesome.

Again, I have to agree. Neither pieces of art are in any way inspiring, and to be honest, if Chaosium wants another $40,000 from us, this book should be in colour.

MechSpike

Okay, not going to lie...I'm not sure what the problem everyone is having with the artwork. I mean I understand it's one thing to not like his style, but these creatures we're barely described in the books. I don't really think you can get them wrong in terms of how they look...I'll admit I'm partial to the original 80s illustrations, but I don't see a problem with these new ones.

wombat1

Out of idle curiosity, how are things going at Chaosium with the Horror on the Orient Express kickstarter? Wasn't that supposed to be ready by GenCon?

Fallingtower
The comments to the news posting are particularly interesting.

By interesting do you mean disheartening? Or am I missing something?

wombat1
By interesting do you mean disheartening? Or am I missing something?

I think you miss very little, Fallingtower.

Now, as for the black and white art, what I thought of when I saw it was "First Edition D and D Monster Manual" style. On the one hand, very clean, very crisply drafted, very workmanlike. Quite technically proficient. On the other hand, very First Edition D and D Monster Manual style, very clean, crisply drafted, and workmanlike, and so leaves nothing to the horrified imagination. So while they are quite good drawings, and of a professional caliber that would fit in many wargame or roleplaying publications, many may see them as not quite right. (Or perhaps, not quite wrong enough).

Someone has commented above that for the prices asked for support, they wanted more color illustrations--the thing does have to be priced at a level that will be able to find support in the game market. I love my hard bound Aces and Eights rules set by Kenzer and Co, which is lavishly illustrated by the color paintings of Remington and Russell, but good lord, I am almost afraid to open the thing because it did cost both an arm and a leg. Given the era most associated with Call of Cthulhu being the roaring twenties, it would have been interesting to see some color work done in the style of the great American commercial illustrators, Rockwell, and Pyle and Chandler Christy, taking a turn for the Mythos, but I would be surprised if that could be arranged at anything like affordable prices.

ErikB

>>>Now, as for the black and white art, what I thought of when I saw it was "First Edition D and D Monster Manual"<<<

I thought old school chaosium...

Fallingtower

Someone has commented above that for the prices asked for support, they wanted more color illustrations--the thing does have to be priced at a level that will be able to find support in the game market. I love my hard bound Aces and Eights rules set by Kenzer and Co, which is lavishly illustrated by the color paintings of Remington and Russell, but good lord, I am almost afraid to open the thing because it did cost both an arm and a leg. Given the era most associated with Call of Cthulhu being the roaring twenties, it would have been interesting to see some color work done in the style of the great American commercial illustrators, Rockwell, and Pyle and Chandler Christy, taking a turn for the Mythos, but I would be surprised if that could be arranged at anything like affordable prices.

Well Trail of Cthulhu (the main book) is in the same price range as Cthulhu 6th ed., so if Pelegrane can pull off a glossy hardback with color (ish) art, then I'd think Chaosium should be able to follow suit.

MikeM

Hi

The b/w artwork on the kickstarter page is just some examples of new material - I know Badger has posted elsewhere on the forums asking for art recommendations - it's all work in progress so to speak. Help shape the book and ensure your comments re. artwork get to Badger and/or post on the kickstarter message board etc.

Cheers

Mike

jcfiala
The comments to the news posting are particularly interesting.

I'm surprised by the comments - it's a rare kickstarter that's done on time. Usually you can look at the date and add three months and be more correct.

Roxysteve

I don't know if I shall be buying a new edition of Call of Cthulhu. Certainly not if the price climbs to levels I've seen bandied about in some posts here. To be honest I long ago became completely disenchanted with the 6th edition and went back to using the old early 5.whatever (Chaosium could remove a major thorn from its own foot by eschewing fractional document release numbers in its future editions in my opinion) to run games as I can at least find stuff in it when I need to and the game it presents is actually playable from the content.

But I spent a couple of seasons experimenting with other forms of the Gothic/Cosmic Horror Game Presentation Experience and though they all offered remedies to specific perceived shortcomings of Call of Cthulhu it came at a cost: Very different gameplay for Realms of Cthulhu, mountains of Keeper overhead for Trail of Cthulhu.

A singular advantage was that I could get players to try a game because the systems were new and shiny to them, and I couldn't scare up a game of Call of Cthulhu on a bet because the gameplay is no longer sought so eagerly given that the horror RPG experience is now deliverable in a number of alternative milieus that don't involve Cthulhu in the title (believe it or not that is an actual reason people have given for lack of interest in gaming in the Lovecraftian Mode when asked). A significant portion of the Call of Cthulhu audience now prefers to play Noun: The Gerund from WoD. In the UK there are even more options, some of them super exciting to these tired old eyes: Hot War stands out. I don't include the Laundry as that is not really a Cosmic Horror setting as a setting to which an element of Cosmic Horror has been welded, but if you do I won't argue with you.

But the thing that begins to interest me is getting to know just how popular the Lovecraftian Gothic/Cosmic Horror Game Experience is taken as a whole. Do sales of RoC and ToC and (Insert Noun)oC collectively suggest that there is any sort of market for even a radically revamped, remade/remodeled Call of Cthulhu?

Because all though my RoC and ToC games were well attended and the enjoyment of all concerned was high, interest in doing more of same has been sporadic and quite low - the same two people want to play from a target audience numbered in dozens (I run games at a local game store), and interest in buying rulebooks for those other systems was virtually nil (one person wanted ToC but was foiled because it was on backorder long enough to kill the sale).

Is it possible that the Writing for this particular style of RPG is on the wall, at least in the USA? Has Cthulhu had its day?

Egad! What if R'lyeh rose and nobody had nightmares?

Roxysteve
Well Trail of Cthulhu (the main book) is in the same price range as Cthulhu 6th ed., so if Pelegrane can pull off a glossy hardback with color (ish) art, then I'd think Chaosium should be able to follow suit.

Or perhaps monochrome with the chrome in question being something other than black. Trail of Cthulhu does it with a green tint which tricks the eye and looks spectacular & they also use photo montages which knock the stuffing out of most of the drawn art lying about (Realms has a really good Mythos library painting though...).

Even the old 20th Anniversary Edition looked better than any of the otherwise identical printings Chaosium put out afterwards because they used rose-colored ink.

Oh well.

Cole

Casually we've seen scores of other games borrow heavily from Lovecraftian elements and themes over the years. We have witnessed new games poach gameplay components from CoC. My only hope is that the new edition brings excited new players, writers, and that Chaosium and licensees position themselves to cultivate rebirth in what has been a decaying game.

Zed Lopez
I'm surprised by the comments - it's a rare kickstarter that's done on time. Usually you can look at the date and add three months and be more correct.

Looks to me like the frustration has more to do with their ducking the questions about the schedule than with the lateness per se. (I didn't back Orient Express and have no dog in the race.)

Is it possible that the Writing for this particular style of RPG is on the wall, at least in the USA? Has Cthulhu had its day?

I just attended a 4-day con, and I can say the Cthulhu games were hot tickets. Pelgrane seems to be happy enough with sales of their Trail of Ctulhu line to be publishing new material on a regular basis; Modiphius just collected about a quarter million dollars in a kickstarter to make original Cthulhu campaigns; I'll betcha at such time as Arc Dream kickstarts the new Delta Green it'll break 6 figures no problem. I think Cthulhu gaming is clearly doing just fine.

PaulFricker

Hi folks. I'll be talking with Chaosium about the Kickstarter tomorrow. I can't make any promises, but I will raise any issues, requests or questions that are posted on this thread. We want to know what you think so please let us know.