JudoMonk

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Kickstarter

JudoMonk

Wow! Since my group playtested the new CoC rules, way back last year, I have not heard anything about how 7e was doing. Is it still a go or will it just become vaporware? Unless I missed something, you think they would have had a few updates by now.

PaulFricker

Keep watching Kickstarter over the next day or two! It's just awaiting approval…

MrBlueSky

There's some stuff on the forums at the moment, things we know:

Perhaps most importantly, there's been a lot of heated discussions and more than a little red moderator text. The big thread (20 pages) was here if you want to read it. A lot of people have strong opinions, so just be careful and respectful with discussion.

Edit:

Keep watching Kickstarter over the next day or two! It's just awaiting approval…
Well there you go.

JudoMonk

So, kickstarter means the book(s) is done and the money needed is for making MANY print copies of it?

Thomas Phinney

Urm, no that isn't what "Kickstarter means"—although it could be true.

For a print rule book, using Kickstarter is a way to drive down the unit costs with a bigger print run, and potentially fund larger fixed costs such as better artwork and layout, more writing, etc.

(Me, I just want to see them not using crap fonts for headings or on the cover, and have good layout.)

DrPeterson

Awesome! That's great news!

HomoLupusDomesticus

Will there be an option to contribute to the Kickstarter using PayPal like with Achtung! Cthulhu? Otherwise, I won't be able to back this...

MikeM

I've just checked with Chaosium and you should be ok using PayPal

Mike

WiseWolf

Waiting...fingers ready to click pledge.

HomoLupusDomesticus
I've just checked with Chaosium and you should be ok using PayPal

Mike

If that is so, you can count me in for at least hardcover versions of both corebooks!

delrio
Wow! Since my group playtested the new CoC rules, way back last year, I have not heard anything about how 7e was doing. Is it still a go or will it just become vaporware? Unless I missed something, you think they would have had a few updates by now.

playtested the new CoC rules...?

I realize that you're probably under NDA and can't discuss details, but does this mean that for 7E they've actually substantively changed the core rules?? Or have they just tweaked a few numbers?

gladius

I realize that you're probably under NDA and can't discuss details, but does this mean that for 7E they've actually substantively changed the core rules?? Or have they just tweaked a few numbers?

I'd suggest checking the threads MrBlueSky referenced above rather than opening that tin of worms again.

paladin2769

The real question is how much of the playtest material is being used for the final 7e product. Perhaps it was not an all-or nothing deal and only certain parts were retained from the test. From what I played, that would be a good plan and might satisfy those who were on the fence over massive changes to their favorite rpg of all time. :)

I haven't heard the podcast yet, so I don't know what was discussed therein at the time I am posting my comment here.

ElijahWhateley

Maybe. That's all anyone can say for sure until the final product comes out.

However, for more information, like gladius says, scroll up and look at the threads MrBlueSky linked to.

delrio
Maybe. That's all anyone can say for sure until the final product comes out.

However, for more information, like gladius says, scroll up and look at the threads MrBlueSky linked to.

I'll take it as a given that nothing is "for sure" until you've got the book in your hand. That said, I was inquiring about the scale of the changes under consideration. You know, out of curiosity. The threads in MrBlueSky's list were about presentation, not rules content. I'm interested in that, too, but when someone said they had playtested the actual new game content, I was of course curious to hear (from someone who has first-hand knowledge) whether there might be big changes for a game that hasn't had a really substantive overhaul since I started playing it 20+ years ago.

edit: actually I see that paladin answered the question, and that "yes" big changes are (or were) at least under consideration - thanks!

paladin2769

I highly recommend everyone listen to the podcast at: http://www.mu-podcast.com/mup-specia...r-is-imminent/ . It will answer alot of questions that people have about what is 7e.

Both Paul and Mike discussed the new material that will appear in 7e along with mentioning how the kickstarter would work with the 7e project.

I wasn't sure if I could post their comments from the 'cast here or not. I figured I would err on the side of caution and ask for permission before I do so. :)

MikeM

The kickstarter is live!!!!!

MadCultist
The kickstarter is live!!!!!

Link:

Whoo! Can't wait to get some money to support this awesome project. :)

hamster

WOW that's expensive!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but $90 (£60) for the rulebook and Investigator handbook in softcover (inc. international shipping) or $120 (£80) for a hardback of both plus PDF's!

I'm all up for supporting Chaosium and would love to see the new version of the rules, even if only because I'm an obsessive collector, but this is just a bit too much!

I'm going to have to give this some serious thought.........

paladin2769

Well, the Kickstarter certainly trumps the podcast information but I still have some questions. Nevertheless, I am a Slobbering Shoggoth. ;)

Can't wait for those stretch goals (I only hope being a Shoggoth is enough of a contribution in the long run. I may have to skip a few more meals than I intended).

Butters

I must admit I'm somewhat torn on this but I suspect that I will end up backing it as I am interested in seeing how far they have changed things.

Pookie
WOW that's expensive!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but $90 (£60) for the rulebook and Investigator handbook in softcover (inc. international shipping) or $120 (£80) for a hardback of both plus PDF's!

I'm all up for supporting Chaosium and would love to see the new version of the rules, even if only because I'm an obsessive collector, but this is just a bit too much!

I'm going to have to give this some serious thought.........

Agreed, but I need a copy for work.

paladin2769

I don't have the Playtest rules in front of me (yet) but the info from the Kickstarter sounds very familiar (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). I don't know what I can/can't say or ask questions on until Mike or Paul let me know.

Oh NDA, what a fickle beast you are. :)

Fallingtower

I really always try to be Mr. Positive, but I really don't like the new artwork for the Mi-Go. Which is one of my favorite Lovecraftian critters, so right off the bat I'm a little put off.

bUT, I will keep an eye on things for a bit to see what other goodies they're gonna offer up to us slavering droogies.