Fallingtower

Garum, Garum and more Garum. Roman Food...Supersizers Style.

Fallingtower

post-142-137675648326_thumb.jpg

I went and did it, got me a bottle of Squid Brand Fish Sauce.

My mini review.

First off...it tastes nothing like 3 month old rotting fish guts. Think fish food flakes, maybe saltier.

Now what should I sprinkle some on? Lunchtime approaches.

Hah! they have a slick webpage.

wombat1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3958[/ATTACH]

I went and did it, got me a bottle of Squid Brand Fish Sauce.

My mini review.

First off...it tastes nothing like 3 month old rotting fish guts. Think fish food flakes, maybe saltier.

Now what should I sprinkle some on? Lunchtime approaches.

Hah! they have a slick webpage.

Oh, anything to hand--chicken, bread, salads, pickled salads, mooshed-down peas with onions in them, mooshed-down peas without onions in them, stewed melons, sausages, dormice, and even fish, and while the Romans did not quite have our ice cream, they did seem to have some dish involving snow and ice, plus fruit so perhaps also on a 'slurpee.' for desert.

I must admit the name sounds like the ideal product for a 1920s or modern campaign--the horror from the "Squid Brand" factory, another fine division of New World Industries.

Fallingtower

I must admit the name sounds like the ideal product for a 1920s or modern campaign--the horror from the "Squid Brand" factory, another fine division of New World Industries.

Yup, I can see that.

If you're a deep one and you fail the master...into the vat!

Not only does he sleep with the fishes...he is one. Just wait and skim.

I have this image of a gaggle of pre-change stevedores, after a long day at work, sitting at the bar downing mug after mug of frothy ice cold garum.

wombat1
Yup, I can see that.

If you're a deep one and you fail the master...into the vat!

Not only does he sleep with the fishes...he is one. Just wait and skim.

I have this image of a gaggle of pre-change stevedores, after a long day at work, sitting at the bar downing mug after mug of frothy ice cold garum.

Those wanting something stronger can have a Caesar, substituting the garum and the Worcestershire Sauce:

http://www.drinknation.com/drink/caesar

JeffOkamoto

Wombat1, that bottled fish sauce is NOTHING compared to what you can really find. Look for smaller glass jars with actual pieces of fish inside them. The liquid will be cloudy and unfiltered, not clear.

wombat1
Wombat1, that bottled fish sauce is NOTHING compared to what you can really find. Look for smaller glass jars with actual pieces of fish inside them. The liquid will be cloudy and unfiltered, not clear.

Cloudy and unfiltered with bits of fish floating in it. I am not the one with the fish sauce to begin with, Falling Tower is, but to my veddy Midwestern mind, it sounds more like a treatment than a treat.

Kuroda

Oh, but the cloudy kind with bits of fish in it usually isn't as long-fermented and is maybe even less stinky than the clearer stuff, IME ;) Fishier-smelling and tasting, but without that, erm, rich warm depraved chestnut aroma. Though there's at least twenty different brands on the shelf just at the grocery I go to; I'm sure that's a random tip of the iceberg.

Also, the smell is a lot stronger than the flavor -- and is also more pungent raw than after you've cooked it. (Again, that's just my experience/delusion!) Anyway, I'd encourage anyone who hasn't sampled it to give it a try. It's no more disgusting and exotic than, say, yogurt.

Fallingtower

I enjoyed hearing Neal's efforts to insert a bit more Roman cuisine into the LoAL game.

Milk fattened snails in garlic and wine sauce & sliced apples baked in honey and cloves.

Poor Helen didn't get her doormouse snack for lunch.

Tomorrow I'm going to make Roman Hamburgers aka ISICIA OMENTATA.

deuce

I've enjoyed the Pass the Garum/ blog for accessible, palatable-to-moderners Roman food. I think a little plate of dulciaria would be a lovely spot of immersion at a Cthulhu Invictus table.

Thanks for the link, Elmo!  I've been an "historical foodie" for quite awhile. Lots of good recipes on there.

I totally agree that food is a good "immersion tool" for gaming.  I've also done several house parties where the food matched up historically with the movie or the origin of the (often obscure) holiday.