PaulFricker

Art and Design for 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu Rulebook

PaulFricker

One of the key things people have said they are looking for in the new rulebook is new art. Of course Chaosium have some great new art lined up, but I would love to hear from anyone on what art or artists they would like to see featured. I'm sure there are new artists out there that are waiting to be discovered. Please post links here and share the ones you like. I'll add them to the portfolio of those that are under discussion. Watch this space folks - things are afoot!

The_Tatterdemalion_King

"Discovered"?

JeffOkamoto

Tom Sullivan

HomoLupusDomesticus

Erik Kriek : Gutsman Enterprises

Mike Bukowski: LCI: Mike Bukowski Illustrations

And how's about getting INJ Culbard involved?

Then again, I would also love just period photographs.

I'd avoid material that's too goth-y and/or "satanic"... *yawn*

dce

Personally, I would prefer to see Chaosium take the lead of the Euro-publishers, who have delivered some beautiful books by augmenting a healthy crop of (expensive) original art with a healthy dose of (cheap, or free) period photos and out-of-copyright images. This strategy allows for a modest art budget to be stretched much further.

Of course, making the whole book full-colour (like the Sans-Detour 30th Edition) would be a nice thing too ... but would make it a much more expensive book

Dean (from Adelaide)

supreme_martian_overlord

There's tons of brilliant amateur art on deviantart etc so i suggest calling for fan submissions and if anything exceptional passes the muster putting it in with the rest. I don't want to take anything away from the professionals though, but it might be cool to see what gems there might be amongst people whose work might not otherwise be considered.

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Is this actually a call for art submissions or is this just another discussion thread? There doesn't seem to be anything about this on the Chaosium site.

PaulFricker
Erik Kriek : Gutsman Enterprises

Mike Bukowski: LCI: Mike Bukowski Illustrations

And how's about getting INJ Culbard involved?

Then again, I would also love just period photographs.

I'd avoid material that's too goth-y and/or "satanic"... *yawn*

Thanks for those. I agree about avoiding the overly gothy or satanic. The artists you mention do some wonderful work, but all work in what looks to me to be a comic book style that I'm not sure is right for the book.

My use of the word 'discovered' was to imply that there might be artists posting their work on the net that has not been noticed by Chaosium.

DCE - I'm sure a mix of period photos and original art would work well too.

Deviantart is a great site and I know I found a great painting of some people entering a spooky looking temple last year - can't find it again now - d'oh. That's one of the reasons I thought I'd post this to ask people to cast their eyes over the site (and any others) to highlight their favourites.

Zarozinia

I'd really like to see Call of Cthulhu establish a distinctive stylistic look with the new edition, the way that art for Vampire the Masquerade, even when it looked utterly dreadful, looked like it was part of that line.

I like the idea of period photographs because I think it creates the impression that CoC has historical depth.

I really don't like the art used by Fantasy Flight Games, Goodman Game's Age of Cthulhu and Paizo's iteration of Lovecraftian monsters. It's purely a matter of personal aesthetics, but they just look far too cartoonish for my tastes. That style may suit a more 'hack and slash' approach to Lovecraftian gaming but I think it would set entirely the wrong tone for a core product like the CoC rulebook.

Personally, I've always liked the wierdness of Ian Miller's art, ever since I saw his work for Games Workshop in the 1980s, and he's already painted several pieces inspired by Lovecraft.

As a somewhat less likely possibility (because I have no idea about copyright and royalties such), I think it would be great to see art included by artists that feature in Lovecraft's writings like Sidney Sime. That would really establish a distinctively different style from other games.

HomoLupusDomesticus
Thanks for those. I agree about avoiding the overly gothy or satanic. The artists you mention do some wonderful work, but all work in what looks to me to be a comic book style that I'm not sure is right for the book.(...)

I personally wouldn't mind comic book style if it's kind of retro/vintage in flavour. Resurrecting Hergé (of Tintin fame) for this job would be close to perfect IMHO if a bit hard to pull off.

I've got Erik Kriek's recent Lovecraft comic book and I think its style would be great for an RPG book. He may also well be very interested in such an assignment, since he used to play Call of Cthulhu himself, though I've no idea of the kind of budget this would require.

I think everyone pretty much agreed already in another thread on not wanting FFG's mythos art recycled yet again, hehehe.

On a side note, certain types or styles of art may fit certain sections of the book specifically.

Badger
Personally, I would prefer to see Chaosium take the lead of the Euro-publishers, who have delivered some beautiful books by augmenting a healthy crop of (expensive) original art with a healthy dose of (cheap, or free) period photos and out-of-copyright images. This strategy allows for a modest art budget to be stretched much further.

Dean, if you've got some suggestions for sources of period photos, please feel free to send 'em my way. I'm aiming for a more period look for CoC 7th, so stuff like this would work perfectly.

-=badger

supreme_martian_overlord

Well if we are talking photography there's these of mine http://www.yog-sothoth.com/threads/25241-Fungal-Photography

Alas the original huge files without the close-up insets are long lost when pc and backup cd died on me and my old edition of photoshop wont work anymore and i'm years out of practice so i'm trying to cut my teeth on the gimp program currently so it may be too long before i can produce much new work of the photos (i'm currently working on remaking the missing wood-stamp image after finding the original sketch though and i have taken some new backdrop photos and started on the ink-drawing beginnings of some new mi-go) but having printed the photos out on 6x4 photo paper recently they still come up nice.

Badger

Hey all,

I'm thrilled to announce that i've been tapped to do the book design for CoC 7th edition, as well as the Player's Book and Keeper's Screen! I wanted to let everyone know, in case you're interested in reading up on the progress of the books; you can check out my blog at http://www.squamousstudios.com if you want to read up on the latest.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, with the caveat that i don't have all the answers, and that there's a lot i can't divulge yet. ;)

Cheers,

-=badger

The_Tatterdemalion_King

I expect everyone doesn't really have questions so much as loud, shouty demands.

Boris

Just wanted to say congratulations on getting the job! Glad that a CoC fan is in charge :)

PaulFricker

Yep, good to have you on board Badger :)

MikeM

Ditto.

MrBlueSky

Here are a few from my DeviantArt favourites. Fair warning, some of the linked files are fairly big.

Randolfo:

• Son of Yig

post-8989-137675647705_thumb.jpg

• L'Ultimo Dipinto di Pickman

post-8989-137675647719_thumb.jpg

Xiven:

• Mob Box - Mood Board Gypsy Shop

post-8989-137675647733_thumb.jpg

• Mob Box - Mood Board Church

post-8989-137675647726_thumb.jpg

• Migo

post-8989-137675647738_thumb.jpg

BPuig:

• Wendigo

post-8989-137675647748_thumb.jpg

more in the next post.

MrBlueSky

Lastly, my favourite artist Borja Pindado. I get the impression Cultos Innombrables (Nameless Cults) is some sort of Spanish RPG/supplement where you play as cultists. Unfortunately no hablo español, so it's a little hard to tell.

Cultos Innombrables 01

post-8989-137675647997_thumb.jpg

Cultos Innombrables 02

post-8989-137675648016_thumb.jpg

Hastur

post-8989-137675648042_thumb.jpg

Elder Thing

post-8989-137675648056_thumb.jpg

Ghoul

post-8989-137675648068_thumb.jpg

Investigator

post-8989-137675648081_thumb.jpg

Another thought, original art would be really cool for a 7th Edition Kickstarter backer level, so at least some paintings/drawings for that purpose would be cool.

supreme_martian_overlord

Cool!

Regardless of whether or not i will like the new editions rule changes when i see them i do look forward very very much to seeing them and the book and it's layout and art.

Badger
I expect everyone doesn't really have questions so much as loud, shouty demands.

Stuff like, "No bugs!!" and, "No burnt edges!", that sort of thing? ;)

btw, my aim is not to start another "CoC 6th ed layout sux and here's why lol" thread here. That horse has been beaten, bludgeoned to a pulp, and reduced to its essential saltes. Everyone is aware of the shortcomings of that design, and we're going to strive to make it as Keeper and Investigator friendly as possible. Promise. :)

-=b

Entropy
I get the impression Cultos Innombrables (Nameless Cults) is some sort of Spanish RPG/supplement where you play as cultists. Unfortunately no hablo español, so it's a little hard to tell.

Wow, that's my website :-D

That's right, 'Cultos Innombrables' (Nameless Cults) is a Spanish RPG by Nosolorol where you play cultists and followers of the Great Old Ones. Unfortunately it's still unpublished, it's expected by the end of the present year.

Saludos,

Entro

AdamStarks

Congratulations!

And it's good to hear that we're getting a new Keeper's Screen. The most recent one is gorgeous, except for that whole the-rules-not-matching-the-game thing.

Badger
Congratulations!

And it's good to hear that we're getting a new Keeper's Screen. The most recent one is gorgeous, except for that whole the-rules-not-matching-the-game thing.

Yeah...gonna make sure that doesn't happen this time 'round. ;)

-=badger