Gol-Goroth

Island of Ignorance - The Third Cthulhu Companion

Skyman

That is a pretty wicked pull from Emily Dickinson.

Gol-Goroth

How do you know when a scenario is really going to push the boundaries? When you feel the need to assemble a committee to discuss it before going into re-writes.

We just got the 1st draft of Let The Children Come to Me in house, and wow... just wow... okay... so now we need to talk. How far is too far? That's a question that Golden Goblin Press is ready to ask, and explore and Mark Shireman has given us our first opportunity to do so. Fans can look forward to a new level of darkness and horror from this first time scenario author. We expect great things from him in the future as well.

wombat1
That is a pretty wicked pull from Emily Dickinson.

Yes, a long coach trip with her being cheerful might go under the heading "Second Worst Vacation Ever."

I will say that this is the most intriguing and promising thing to come along recently, so I am looking forward to it.

neorxnawang
Yes, a long coach trip with her being cheerful might go under the heading "Second Worst Vacation Ever."

I will say that this is the most intriguing and promising thing to come along recently, so I am looking forward to it.

Please spread the word everyone. We are $1350 away with 10 days and change to go. Actually we are $850 away since if it gets to $11K I am going to put my own money where my mouth is and back the book.

Gol-Goroth

Hello everyone!

While our Kickstarter campaign nears its conclusion production on Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion is steadily gaining momentum. Barely a day goes by not that final art isn't submitted, someone’s submission arrives in house or something moves from editing phase into the final manuscript file. So far the project has been moving forward quite smoothly. Golden Goblin Press is committed to delivering our backers a quality book and in a timely fashion.

Currently 50% of our finished interior illustrations are in house! Rueben Dodd of Sorrorwking Studios is cranking out amazing work for this project. We’re getting ready to start sending out assignments to our team Cartographer, Alyssa Faden, for our project’s many maps. Digital artist Jessica Fisher has requested her first back of photos from our Investigator Level Backers and is at already hard at work on them. People are being contacted in the order they backed, so all you Investigator Level backers please keep an eye out.

Which brings me to the Gamer Level Special Offer – If three backers from the same investigator team back at the Gamer Level they will not only get all the benefits of the Gamer Package, but one of the ten remaining Golden Goblin Idols for their home team. Each Gamer Level Backer gets a copy of the book, a vote in the mystery scenario, a copy of the Mystery Scenario PDF, a Pewter Golden Goblin Idol, a moment from your online play illustrated in the book… plus the three of you will get a Golden Goblin Idol to share (just who’s house is gets to stay in you’ll have to decide for yourselves). With only five Gamer Level backer packages left this is a very limited offer, so act fast. All the three of you gamers need to do is back the project and send us a note with the name of your group and the three Gamer Backers in it and your all set. Ed Possner, this offer goes for you too, you’re already one third of the way there!

We have just ten days left of our Kickstarter Campaign, so spread the word. If you've been watching and waiting to become a backer of Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion act soon, your time is nearly up. We still have several upper level backer packages as well.

Thank you!

Oscar Rios – President, Golden Goblin Press

Gol-Goroth

Hello everyone!

We are moving to the end of our Kickstarter campaign. We're excited to be moving into the full production phase of the Island of Ignorance - The Third Cthulhu Companion project and hope to reach several more stretch goals before the end. But you know who's most excited???

The Goblins, that's who! Will one of the remaining 10 become yours? The choice is yours!

We really need to get this things out of Joe's house... before it's too late.

Oscar Rios - President, Golden Goblin Press

post-696-137675648176_thumb.jpg

post-696-137675648164_thumb.jpg

neorxnawang

These Golden Goblin idols are nasty little buggers, especially in multiples.....the wards are complicated and extensive.....save Joe now!

http://www.unz.org/Pub/WeirdTales-1944jan-00028?View=PDFPages

PS Only $580 more dollars now until it hits $11K and I take one off of Joe's hands to hit the next stretch goal.....

Gol-Goroth

Good Morning Everyone,

We are 1/3rd of the way towards our next stretch goal, our more exciting one so far. To have a little fun with the march towards adding our fourth scenario to the Island of Ignorance - The Third Cthulhu Companion I’ll be posting a short unpublished piece of fiction, broken into thirds! When the campaign reaches 2/3rds of the way to the next stretch goal I’ll post the middle of the story. When we reach Stretch Goal Three – Worst Vacation Ever I’ll post the conclusion to the story.

Below is the first third of a story called The Procedure, is directly based on events from my home Call of Cthulhu campaign. Lisa Padol, Associate Editor for Golden Goblin Press, plays an investigator named Millie Danforth, a successful Arkham nurse. Millie met someone… special… during her play through of A Family Way, a scenario I wrote which was published in More Adventures in Arkham Country. The Procedure is inspired by their most unusual love story.

The Procedure

By Oscar Rios

“Now, let’s start from the beginning.” The voice said, “It’s very important that you’re completely honest with me, that is, if you want to live through this. Oh yes, we’re not really set on killing you. We’re not sure how this is going to turn out. We hope everyone can walk away from this. My name is Joe and we’re going to have a little chat. My, well I guess you can say my employer, can’t speak English, but she understands it just fine. I’ll be translating her questions to you. We already talked to the woman, heard what she had to say. If your story matches hers, that’s all well and good. If not, then one or both of you are lying to us and thing get messy.”

I could tell it was a man from the voice. I was still blindfolded and handcuffed, although now I was sitting in a chair instead of lying in the trunk of a car. I knew we were inside now because I couldn’t feel any wind. I’d also been guided up stairs and across a couple of doorways. Exactly where I was I couldn’t even imagine. Time had lost all meaning, blurred by fear and disorientation. It seemed like I’d been stuffed in the trunk of a car for hours as it drove along bumpy, deserted roads. Logically, I knew, it might have been much shorter.

“So… you’re a doctor, a medical doctor?” the man asked.

“Y...yes, I’m a doctor, a surgeon.” I replied. The words were hard to form; my mouth was so dry from the rag they’d used to gag me. The terror I felt probably wasn’t helping. Suddenly my jaw was forced opened by an unseen hand. Before I could react lukewarm water was poured into my mouth. I drank greedily and felt immediately a little calmer. I slowed my breathing and inhaled slowly through my nose; the air stank of the sea at low tide.

“My employer signed to me that I should give you some water, so you have her to thank for that. She wants you to know we’re not monsters. Before we start, she wants to know if your patient is going to be okay. It’s very important that he hasn’t been harmed. He’s still unconscious; it’s making her uneasy.”

“Yes, he’ll be fine in a few hours…um… I’m not sure how long it’s been since you grabbed us all. I put him under for the procedure. He’s a big man, so I was unsure of the dosage. He should wake up any time.” I replied.

“That’s very good Doc. Can I call you Doc? No, let’s be friend here; your name’s Kevin, right? So let’s hear it Kevin. How the **** did you get mixed up in this?”

He must have gotten my name from my wallet. “Yes, it’s Kevin. I’m a surgeon at Congregational Hospital, but I do see a few patients out of my home office. Ms. Danforth made an appointment to see me. “

“So, she came to you?” The voice asked.

“Yes”, I answered. “I recognized her when she came in. She's a nurse, from Arkham, a good one, or so my colleagues say. I haven’t worked with her personally. I’d heard she’s one of those professional women, bit of a plain Jane and old maid. Well, that’s what everyone thought anyway. No one knew she had a… gentleman in her life. “

“What did she want?”

“She wanted to talk, ask me some questions. She knew I’d been overseas studying with some surgeons in London. We trade notes, train one another on the latest procedures and techniques. That’s probably why she picked me. There aren’t many surgeons who can perform the procedure she was interested in; I’m probably the only one in New England, it’s rather new.”

“Now Kevin, this is me asking. Why the hell would anyone want this done?”

I answered, “It started as a way to reduce the size of enlarged prostate glands. Um, you know when older men take a long time to urinate and it’s sometimes painful? The procedure helps that. The other effects weren’t realized until later.”

“So, this was all the skirt’s idea then?”

“Well no, she said her fiancé asked her to find someone who could perform it. She told me it was his idea and that he’d read about it being done in Europe in a magazine.” Then I hear a shifting, an angry sounding stomp of large boots and the scrapping of wood against wood.”

The man questioning me moved about, whispering to someone. It was hard to make out but I got the impression he was trying to calm his employer down. “She wants to know why you’d take her word in that. Why didn’t you talk to your patient first?” Joe paused and then added, “You said her fiancé, right? They’re engaged?”

“Yes, they're engaged. And please explain to her that I did speak to Mr. Ortiz before I performed the surgery. I spoke to them both, together, to explain all the risks. They were in complete agreement over it; if anything Ms. Danforth had more concerns than Mr. Ortiz.”

To Be Continued…

Thanks to Tom Lynch of Miskatonic River Press, for the use of the image of Mario Ortiz. Thanks to Reuben Dodd of Sorrowking Studios for the amazing Illustration. Thanks to Lisa Padol for the years she's spent play testing my scenarios and her hard work at making so many of them ready for publication.

post-696-13767564819_thumb.jpg

Gol-Goroth

Greetings everyone!

We’re getting down to the wire on our campaign, just four days left to go until we cross the finish line. We’re hopefully about reaching the next couple of stretch goals before then. If you've been waiting to back the project until the last minute, or know someone who has, now is the time to act. For those of you who have backed us, we thank you and look forward to bringing you a collection of useful and interesting articles coupled with a handful of challenging scenarios.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/621718369/island-of-ignorance-the-third-cthulhu-companion

neorxnawang

I've seen some of the interior art and it is very kewl. $111 measly dollars away from $11,000 now, and then I have it on good authority that several someones with my last name are going to fund my stretch goal scenario as a Father's Day thang. That's basically 4 copies of the book. Either way, I think Osk has done yeoman's work promoting and putting this book together so far, and I shudder at the prospect of trying to do one myself.

Gol-Goroth

Well, we have come to the last three days... The production team is rolling hot. We have everyone working now, maps, art, editing, even layout is set to begin. We have a theme for our art, maps and layout style which I am called "Updated Old-School". The clean simplicity of the 80's and 90's, with the sophisticated artistic polish of a modern RPG books.

christian

Not to mention strikingly good portraits of insane medics in the Herbert West tradition ;-)

trevlix

Just hit th e $11.5K goal! Thats another scenario people! Less than $1000 to get two more articles and Trail of Cthulhu conversions for the scenarios!!!

Gol-Goroth

Congratulations to all the backers, we made it! Stretch Goal Three - Worst Vacation Ever has been reached!

Island of Ignorance - The Third Cthulhu Companion now contains a total of FOUR scenarios! With Blue Uncertain Stumbling by Jeff Moeller, will take investigators ghost hunting in exotic Key West, where they’ll learn a little about the island’s dark precolonial history. But will they learn enough?

Will backers be satisfied with six articles? I certainly hope not. Stretch Goal Four – Together Again, reunites Miskatonic River Press’ team of Tom Lynch and Oscar Rios for two additional articles! There is Silks of Irem by Tom Lynch, where we learn about a most unusual souvenir the Mad Arab picked up while doing research for the Al Azif. Then Oscar Rios takes a long, well deserved look at an unlikely investigator in Raggedy Clothes and Out-Worn Shoes: A Look at the American Hobo. Many Call of Cthulhu investigators have affectionately called the Hobo the Superhero of the 1920’s!

Finally this also means that backers have unlocked the third and final section of The Procedure by Oscar Rios. Don’t miss the conclusion to this most unusual tale of love.

Gol-Goroth

Greetings Everyone!

Early this morning (at least in my personal time zone), with 39 hours to go on the Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion Kickstarter Campaign, high drama was taking place! Overnight a rush of backers pushed the campaign steadily towards Stretch Goal Four – Together Again, which would add two more articles to the project and reunite Miskatonic River Press alumni Tom Lynch and Oscar Rios. With stunning rapidity the gap closed to just $50 away from the mark.

Then the mysterious Super-Backer known only as Owlglass, already notable as the first Golden Goblin Level Backer, increased their pledge by $50! Stretch Goal Four – Together Again is now achieved! The project WILL have its full complement of EIGHT articles! On behalf of everyone at Golden Goblin Press, thank you to ALL the backers who helped us reach this goal! My personal thanks to The Mysterious Owlglass; I already have plans for a special tribute to you in the eighth and final article of Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion.

BUT, we aren’t done yet… A lot can happen in 39 hours!

Stretch Goal Five – Side Trails is just $500 more dollars away, at the $12,500 mark. Will the fans of the Gumshoe system and Trail of Cthulhu help us reach this important mark, earning conversion stats for ALL of the scenarios included in Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion? Time will tell.

Stretch Goal Six – Back to New England has been set at the $13,750 mark. The investigators return from the Worst Vacation Ever in Key West, coming home to Arkham in the project’s fifth scenario by Jon Hook. In Darkness Illuminated the investigators are drawn to strange happenings at a local school for the blind. Do I need to say more? Arkham, strange happenings, a school for the blind… Yeah, this SCREAMS trouble to any seasoned Mythos Investigator and they won’t be disappointed.

I am really excited to see how things all play out as the campaign draws to a close!

Finally, I would like to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day. To our international backers today is an American holiday dedicated to remembering those brave men and women who gave their lives in military service serving our country. To honor their memory I wish everyone, everywhere peace, because no one loves peace more than those who prepare for war.

Be well and safe everyone!

Oscar Rios – President of Golden Goblin Press.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/621718369/island-of-ignorance-the-third-cthulhu-companion

Gol-Goroth

Greetings Everyone!

There comes a time in every adventure that the team has learned all they can, questioned every witness, read every clue discovered and investigated every lead. The conclusion approaches. The final challenge is in sight. They take a breath, smoke a cigarette, take a draw on the old hip flask, bandage the wounded, reload the weapons and maybe bust out an elder sign. Someone says something dramatic; I’m always a fan of, “Okay, let’s do this! Leroy Jenkins! “ Then the team, or what’s left of them, charges forward to the end.

That’s where the Kickstarter campaign for Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion stands. Today is the final day of the campaign, ending in just 18 hours. We began at midnight forty days ago, we end at midnight tonight. It’s been an amazing journey, but it’s not over yet.

Last night we passed the mark needed to include Stretch Goal #5 – Side Trails in Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion! Conversion stats for Trail of Cthulhu all of the project’s scenarios will be made available on our website, as well as that of Pelgrane Press shortly after the book's release!

But there is still some time. Can this campaign reach Stretch Goal #6 – Back to New England? Will Island of Ignorance – The Third Cthulhu Companion include 5th scenario? One would say it is almost too much to hope for, considering how lucky we’ve been so far. But if there is anything to be said about Cthulhu Investigators it’s this, we push our luck and we never stop hoping in spite of the odds!

So let’s load those shotguns, get that can of kerosene and bucket of oily rags, kick down that door and finish this all up with one big push to the finish line!

To all of this project’s wonderful and generous backers, Golden Goblin Press thanks you! We’ll see you on the other side!

Oscar Rios – President, Golden Goblin Press.

Danharms

I understand there's some other Kickstarter out there people are interested in. If you're heading over, make a pledge for Islands of Ignorance. We've got less than two hours left, and eight more backers will earn us a fifth scenario!

That makes five scenarios, a rumrunning Cthulhu cult, rules for Great War veterans and hobos, eighteen pregenerated characters, and new tomes, artifacts, and monsters, statted out for both Call and Trail of Cthulhu. You'd probably pay the same amount for just the scenarios!

Here's the link again:

neorxnawang

1:15 left, $102 away for Jon Hook's stretch goal. Give the guys at the MU Podcast something to talk about...he was really skeptical last episode that he'd make it but there's been a massive run the last 4 days.....

neorxnawang

One more book needed, 35 minutes left.....

WinstonP

And they reached it, closing at $13,852. :)

The_Tatterdemalion_King

I would've liked to support it, but apparently Kickstarter doesn't take PayPal...?

dce

Congrats to Osk and all who are involved with "Island of Ignorance" -- the final list of contents looks impressive; I'm sure it will be a fantastic and beautiful book!

Long live the Goblin!

Dean (from Adelaide)

Sorrowking

The Kickstarter is done with excellent results. Now to get this puppy finished *Draws like a lunatic*

JonHook
1:15 left, $102 away for Jon Hook's stretch goal. Give the guys at the MU Podcast something to talk about...he was really skeptical last episode that he'd make it but there's been a massive run the last 4 days.....

Yeah. I wasn't holding out hope, but then look what happens! I'm in! This is gonna be fun. :)

HomoLupusDomesticus

Great to see Jon's stretch goal being achieved after all. I think I'll pick this up once it's available.

I would've liked to support it, but apparently Kickstarter doesn't take PayPal...?

This has been my issue with Kickstarter all along. When Modiphius offered the possibility of post-KS pledging through PayPal after the Kickstarter for Achtung! Cthulhu was done, I jumped on the bandwagon immediately. Hopefully more KS projects will offer this opportunity in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.