Beyond05

Alan Moore's Providence

Beyond05

Link.

I don't know if this is another massive tax debt to be paid off, and the inclusion of a secretly gay and Jewish policeman is slightly worrying, but I'm going to set my brainscrew for "cautiously optimistic."

trevlix

I've never realized how scary Alan Moore looks.

GBSteve

Japanese tourists have on two occasions mistaken me for Alan Moore. What he'd be doing in Borders on Charing Cross Rd, I'm not sure.

hamster
I've never realized how scary Alan Moore looks.

You want to try running into him in the local petrol station, that's scary;)

WinstonP
Japanese tourists have on two occasions mistaken me for Alan Moore. What he'd be doing in Borders on Charing Cross Rd, I'm not sure.

Perhaps he's stealing copies of Before Watchmen to burn then in some magical rite? Or just burn them for the hell of it.

(I once thought I saw Al Jourgensen in a Pizza Hut, so, one never know...)

I don't share AH's optimism. I don't think Moore gets Lovecraft.

Justin F
Link.

I don't know if this is another massive tax debt to be paid off, and the inclusion of a secretly gay and Jewish policeman is slightly worrying, but I'm going to set my brainscrew for "cautiously optimistic."

My optimism is perilously unrestrained. This looks great.

GBSteve

I think the Courtyard demonstrates AM gets HPL. I think the sequel demonstrates that he sometimes takes it too far. That said, he's illustrating what HPL implies.

Beyond05

I've been reading up on Alan Moore's take on HPL for my essay, and I think he finds the man more fascinating than the fiction - and while he might dwell on his flaws (Moore would certainly disagree with HPL on nearly any social or political issue), I think it's just the strangeness of his life and positions that click with AM.

StephanieMcAlea

What is more disturbing is not running into Alan Moore, but having Alan Moore run at you.

Cthimothy

Did... did Alan Moore actually charge at you? Good grief, the mental image is equally hilarious and terrifying.

What is more disturbing is not running into Alan Moore, but having Alan Moore run at you.

Beyond05

I think nothing about Alan Moore is more terrifying than when someone created a magical girl manga based on him.

Cthimothy
I think nothing about Alan Moore is more terrifying than when someone created a magical girl manga based on him.

Oh cripes, don't remind me.

Badger

lol wut

Pics or it didn't....no, wait. On second thought, i'm just gonna take your word for it.

-=badger

StephanieMcAlea
Did... did Alan Moore actually charge at you? Good grief, the mental image is equally hilarious and terrifying.

A brother of a friend. Alan Moore mistook him for an old friend and ran at his car, banging furiously on his windows. Said frightened driver just sped away.

themaninawhitecar
A brother of a friend. Alan Moore mistook him for an old friend and ran at his car, banging furiously on his windows. Said frightened driver just sped away.

I'm surprised said driver didn't have a heart attack out of sheer terror. I've never met Mr. Moore, but every picture I've seen presents him as an intimidating sort of man.

BenJoss

Not seen this news elsewhere on the site, although I've admittedly not looked too hard.

Mr Moore is releasing a new Lovecraft based comic book series called 'Providence'.  You can read an interview with him regarding the series on the link below:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/05/alan-moore-heralds-providence-time-go-reappraisal-lovecraft/

Personally I found Neonomicon a difficult read, enjoyable in places but deeply disturbing in others.  Will be interested to see where this goes.  I do love the artwork of Jacen Burrows.

PoC

Threads merged.

Beyond05

The sad thing is, I know which book of Lovecraft criticism he's talking about. The very sad thing is, it isn't mine.

deuce

8)

deuce

I'm surprised said driver didn't have a heart attack out of sheer terror. I've never met Mr. Moore, but every picture I've seen presents him as an intimidating sort of man.

I have a couple of buddies (more like "acquaintances") who look very similar, only taller/bigger. Alan's a bit manic, but I never considered him "intimidating". Sort of a more erudite and articulate "Aqualung".

BTW, I look forward to more blog posts, Mr. Derie!  :D

christian

suddenly realizes he's never offered to post the itw he did with Alan Moore in 1987 here..........

Aklo

Personally I found Neonomicon a difficult read, enjoyable in places but deeply disturbing in others.  Will be interested to see where this goes.  I do love the artwork of Jacen Burrows.

Yes the artwork is on point. I'm looking forward to this myself, and yes, I found Neonomicon quite disturbing...but wasn't that the point?

I'm often suprised by how many people dislike Neonomicon for being too creepy, disturbing, horrific, etc. Isn't that the point of HPL's writings?

Also, AnicentHistory! Those annotations are awesome thanks!

BenJoss

Yes the artwork is on point. I'm looking forward to this myself, and yes, I found Neonomicon quite disturbing...but wasn't that the point?

I'm often suprised by how many people dislike Neonomicon for being too creepy, disturbing, horrific, etc. Isn't that the point of HPL's writings?

Also, AnicentHistory! Those annotations are awesome thanks!

Yes, but Lovecraft didn't have Mr Moore's overtly graphic sex scenes in his writings.  I've got nothing against creepy, disturbing horror but I felt this went into uncomfortable territory for me with how the female agent was treated.