The_Usernameless_Horror

The Best Villains Ever

Magpie

For me, its got to Darth Revan and/or Darth Malak from Knights of the Old Republic - often so much better than the movie villains (though the less said about the sequel the better).

I also loved Bill from Kill Bill - whatever he does, you just can't help but love him, and be drawn into his ego.

Duc_de_Nevers
My All-Time-Favorite is Sheriff Lucas Buck from American Gothic

The good-looking friendly Head of Justice, the moral center of the Town, working for the good for his community called Trinity, and being the Ultimate Evil.

He scared the s… out of me... 8)

He's on my list as well. Absolute b*****d, a murderer and rapist, but so bloody charismatic you can't help but admire him in some ways. Definitely knows more than a few Things That Man Was Not Meant To Know.

SummerPudding

It's gotta be Baron Hauptman from The Fungi from Yuggoth. What a cad.

;)

ParadoxHazard
For pure evil SOB, I'd have to go for the Antony Ainley incarnation of the Master..."Peoples of the universe, your attention please..."...you cant claim he thought small.

I have to agree. For me, The Master is one of the best villians out there. He might be pretty cheesy at points, but that just makes him a better foil to Dr. Who.

Danforth

Oh, aye, forgot about Baron Hauptmann, he is a nasty piece of work alright. Not too sure about the Master from Doctor Who though, as the Doctor once said, "he's an unimaginative plodder". Thought the Roger Delgado version was pretty intimidating and amusing, especially when he quotes Tennison "I have the strength of ten for my heart is pure"-sorry may be misquoting but you get the irony I hope. No disrespect to the late Anthony Ainley-I liked his performance but some of the scripts he appeared in were not well thought out and the Master began to look like a pantomime heavy more to be laughed at rather than feared. Maybe the Daleks should also get a mention in this cavalcade of baddies?

Benedict

Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Marty

Dunno about best villain, but certainly one creepy man was the Deacon from Poltergeist 2. Hoowee did he give me the willies.

Tigger_MK4
No disrespect to the late Anthony Ainley-I liked his performance but some of the scripts he appeared in were not well thought out and the Master began to look like a pantomime heavy more to be laughed at rather than feared.

Some of the scripts were a bit pantomime, admittedly...it depends what story/take you use...

Personally, I always prefer the double regeneration trilogy take...very definitely in the brilliant sociopath section...

Beyond02
Faustian bargain nerdery: What exactly does giving your soul to the Devil entail? I mean, if someone evil's soul would end up in Hell regardless, I figure anybody handing it over in exchange for something is getting a good deal. Why? Because anybody willing to sell their soul to the Devil probably isn't getting beyond the Pearly Gates.

Your soul is that one part of you that is truly good, it is God's finest creation and it is immortal. Giving your soul to the devil (selling it) is always a bargain for the devil becuase nothing else is immortal. Furthermore your soul doesn't belong to you, it belongs to God to selling it is a deep affront on that level. Plus, redemption is always a possibility, but if you have sold your soul, you won't believe you can be redeemed and Satan's gonna claim his purchase as soon as possible so your soul doesn't slip through his fingers. Lewis' Screwtape says he and other devils eat people's souls (actually, drink them like fine wines).

If you believe in that kind of thing . . .

Beyond02

I meant to also put Screwtape up here as a truly magnificent villain (even if he was a creation of that yutz C.S. Lewis).

It;s hard for literature to compete with real life when reality gives us Idi Amin Dada, Pol Pot, Jim Jones (who if he were a literary character rather than a real person would have been on hell of a cool villain).

Lots of movie and comic book villains leave me yawning, Doom in particular does nothing for me.

Lovecraft doesn't really deal with the idea of villainy, bad things just happen in his stories.

I liked the Astronomer in the Wildcards series of shared fantasy novels. A sick, crippled, depraved old man commiting a continual series of vile sex murders . . . in order to save the world from Cthulhu (essentially).

theshoveller

Lovecraft doesn't really deal with the idea of villainy, bad things just happen in his stories.

...because the idea that we are totally insignificant is scarier than a chap in a black cape twiddling his mustache. :)

Duc_de_Nevers
...because the idea that we are totally insignificant is scarier than a chap in a black cape twiddling his mustache. :)

Thanks. You've just given me a mental image of Cthulhu twiddling his tentacles. 8O

theshoveller

Glad to be of service! :)

EzekialLockhart

Dr. Phibes from the Abominable Dr. Phibes. An ingenius murderer, but you can't help but feel sorry for the guy.

Jeppe

Most on my list have already been named, but here goes.

Mr Wednesday and Low Key from American Gods by Gaiman, they definetly qualify.

The Joker, especially in the Arkham Asylum comic.

Vern Schillinger, from the Oz tv-series, a truly nasty character.

Christopher Walken as Gabriel in God's Army.

And of course the dear herr Starr of the Preacher comics.

Mr_Lin

Vern Schillinger, from the Oz tv-series, a truly nasty character.

Brilliant choice, can't believe I'd forgotten about him. Quite interesting to juxtapose him with his alter ego Dr Skoda from Law and Order. Apparently a lot of the Oz and L&O stuff were filmed more or less concurrently and JK Simmons would commute from one role to the other. One of the best actors around I reckon. Then of course there's Stabler from L&O and his Oz counterpart Chris Keller...and Dean Winters as Brian Cassidy/Ryan O'Riley.

YCthuhaquaa

Hannibal Lector is evil enough for me, though he loves some he'll kill anyone that gets in his way. He's seductive and cleverly smart. Though I dislike serial killers in films most of the time I love Anthony Hopkins and his acting as Lector is great.

Gaffer

I've got to support Noah Cross from Chinatown and Baron Harkonnen from Dune.

But my favorite for his bland, insinuating evil is the Mayor from Buffy.

Dudley Smith in LA Confidential is so cold-blooded and off-hand in his villainy.

And I've just recently read Tim Powers' Last Call with two excellent villains: Pogue and Leon Georges.

Hymneth

Hmmm. I didn't notice him mentioned yet, so maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm rather fond of Diogenes Pendergast from the books by Preston and Child. He doesn't really blossom as a villain for quite a few books, but his depth of planning and ruthless efficiency mark him as a keeper.

Also, have to second "The Thing." I love that movie

ChristianII

Artemis Fowl. He is such a great villain that he actually became more of the hero than the good guys for me. Actually started rooting for him very quickly :)

Hannibal Lecter - Duh.

Darth Vader - Blows up planets for a hobby + spooky voice and breathing.

Ringwraiths - Very nice. Corrupted glory.

I will probably come up with some more later :)

[add]

Just remembered. That kid from Zappa. Rich, spoiled, psychopath. Whats not to like :wink:

banshee

My votes go to:

Prowse & Jones' Darth Vader in Star Wars ep. IV-VI

Viggo Mortensen's Lucifer in The Prophecy/God's Secret Army - yes, Walken does a very impressive job as Gabriel, but Mortensen just pwns him in the short while he's there, given more time, he would have stolen the entire film... :)

Harvey Keitel's Lieutenant in Bad Lieutenant.

Ian McDiarmid's Palpatine in Star Wars ep. I-III & VI, but especially in ep. III.

Gary Oldman as Stansfield in The Professional/Léon and Zorg in The 5th Element.

I suppose I could add a host of other memorable villains (many of whom have already been mentioned)...

---

Oh, yeah. Got to add: Boba Fett!

North73

Ian McKellen's 70s Macbeth is terrifying.

Mr_Lin

Maurice Jobson aka "The Owl" from the Red Riding novels. A man whose moral weakness makes him party to terrible acts, but who achieves a kind of redemption at the end.

Patonius

Tony Soprano...

Bruce Willis in the movie, The Jackal

Lord VOLDEMORT

Though I have massive hero worship where he is concerned, I can certainly admit there was the villian in Napoleon BONAPARTE

Gaffer
Ian McKellen's 70s Macbeth is terrifying.

Absolutely! One of the very best villains ever.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now