The_Usernameless_Horror

The Best Villains Ever

DnDChick

How can this thread go 9 pages without a mention of the Knights Who Say "NI!", the Beast of Caerbannog and the Legendary Black Beast of AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGH!?

:wink:

Thorulfr
How can this thread go 9 pages without a mention of the Knights Who Say "NI!", the Beast of Caerbannog and the Legendary Black Beast of AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGH!?

:wink:

And what about the rabbit? :lol:

DnDChick

That is the Beast of Caerbannog ...

Thorulfr
That is the Beast of Caerbannog ...

"What, behind the rabbit?"

(Way too long since I've watched that...must inflict it on my wife again. Probably too bloody to let my 2-yo son watch still...even though he likes the plush rabbit with nasty, mean pointed teeth.)

oshovah

Typhus, herald of Nurgle. To me Typhus is just the best Warhammer 40k villain there is.

thor

Pfhh... "Typhus" herald of Nurgle. Get with the times man! Now Feytor, theres a devotee of Nurgle I can get behind...

Mr_Lin

BBC1 showed the Sidney Lumet film Q&A last night. Been a while since I've seen it, I'd forgotten how good Nick Nolte was as the deranged Lt Mike Brennan. Definitely a favourite villain of mine.

It occurs to me Brennan would make a good Y'golonac cultist: He's corrupt, depraved and almost certainly mad but is just about functional enough to present a respectable facade. I also thought he had a fair amount in common with LA Confidential's Dudley Smith (see previous discussion on this thread). Smith probably has a lot more self control though.

Tigger_MK4
What, no Godzilla?

I've actually always thought that Prof. Moriarty was kind of a cipher in Doyle's original story, but I'll admit that he's been fleshed out in interesting ways by later writers.

Whilst I'm not a huge Trekkie , I've got to say that the Trek-NG take on Moriarty was fantastic....charimatic, charming, intelligent, principled (in a twisted way) and utterly dedicated to his goals.

For pure evil SOB, I'd have to go for the Antony Ainley incarnation of the Master..."Peoples of the universe, your attention please..."...you cant claim he thought small.

Lucy from 'Millenium' was pretty evil too. Shame they never got to develop her more.

For pure visceral horror tho..gotta go with Alien...

<edit>

SMacks forehead:

Honorable mentions to : Morden from B5

and

"The Knights of Dark Reknown" , from Gemmels novel of the same name. One of the rare occassions when you're not really sure the good guys will win.

Mr_Lin

Whilst I'm not a huge Trekkie , I've got to say that the Trek-NG take on Moriarty was fantastic....charimatic, charming, intelligent, principled (in a twisted way) and utterly dedicated to his goals.

The Futurama version was better.

theshoveller

Lucy from 'Millenium' was pretty evil too. Shame they never got to develop her more.

Lucy was pure evil, her episode was probably the only reason to watch any of season 3 whatsoever. Particularly since they decided to turn Peter Watts into a villain.

Tigger_MK4

Lucy was pure evil, her episode was probably the only reason to watch any of season 3 whatsoever. Particularly since they decided to turn Peter Watts into a villain.

I disagree. I personally found it quite interesting and better than season 2.....but then, I like having that sort of twists in my campaigns.

...and he wasnt a villain..exactly. He was a misguided friendly member of a villainous organisation...we find out in the last episode he's been trying to protect frank, remember ?

I must admit that I didnt like the Xfiles episode "Millenium" tho.

The actor who played Watts (who's name I cant quite remember at present) is the only reason I ever watched "Lost"

Mr_Lin

The actor who played Watts (who's name I cant quite remember at present) is the only reason I ever watched "Lost"

Didn't watch Lost. It looked silly. I think the actor you're talking about is Terry O'Quin. He's pretty good. Well worth checking out in The Stepfather if you've not seen it - another very scary villain.

liveliest_awfulness

My scariest villain from childhood is this fella, what a self serving evil swine (rabbit)

Pipkins12.jpg

The puppetry was all wrong, this was years before Gilliam and Green day used another of the shows gimmicks in thier projects. The TV program was the same sort of creepy as exploring an attic and finding a decrepit childs doll/toy from 100 years ago. The owner of which has long since died and any childs laughter associated with the item hangs frozen in the air like a Sapphire and Steel episode on mogadon.

Leading on to my more mature vote of the Foto Dude wi' no face from episode 4.

ass4d.jpg

Any government that fails to deliver the goods but takes your tax doller is a monumental bad egg. But we don't want to bum everybody out with politics (sorry Paul)

Pete

Mr_Lin
My scariest villain from childhood is this fella, what a self serving evil swine (rabbit)Pete

Shame on you sir. Hartley Hare was a neurotic personality and deserves our sympathy not our condemnation. Are you sure you've not got him confused with General Woundwort from Watership Down? He was a fierce bad rabbit indeed.

Leading on to my more mature vote of the Foto Dude wi' no face from episode 4.

Now you're talking. He scared the hell out of me as a kid. Never been too keen on railway stations since.

theshoveller

I disagree. I personally found it quite interesting and better than season 2.....but then, I like having that sort of twists in my campaigns.

...and he wasnt a villain..exactly. He was a misguided friendly member of a villainous organisation...we find out in the last episode he's been trying to protect frank, remember ?

I must admit that I didnt like the Xfiles episode "Millenium" tho.

The X-Files episode was shocking.

My partner and I never got over the total continuity reset of the 3rd season. Season 2 was ace, it was Suppressed Transmission: the TV series. It ends with a potential apocalypse, Peter has disappeared, Kristen Cloke's character has gone really strange, Catherine has *SPOILER* and ...

...Nah, we'll choose to sweep the ending of season 2 under the carpet and, hey, lets give Frank a new sidekick while we're at it.

ghostdog

Tom Baker's eyes used to scare me when I was a child.

Oh, and the scarecrow maker from Wurzzle Gummage. He was REALLY scary.

The singing boat thing (was it from H. R. Puff n Stuff?) and quite a lot of Doctor Who nasties like Davros.

Ming the Merciless. From the old Buster Crabb serial. Only problem was, he knew he was evil (otherwise why would he carry the moniker 'merciless'). And that sort of spoils what a good villain ought to be about. As it probably goes without saying, a good villain doesn't believe that they are evil. they think they're right and what they do they do for the greater good... depending on your perception of that greater good of course. So Moriarty doesn't cut it either I'm afraid. he's really just a tulpa, a figment of Holmes' inflated ego, sort of the 'fight club' dark side and he also carried the moniker 'the Napoleon of Crime' so out her goes.

I think my numberone fictional villain would have to be "Jack the Ripper". Since he wasn't a real person. an invention of the press. Born september 24th, 1888.

Like Moriarty, he's a tulpa, but that's precisely the reason why he makes for the epitomy of 'fictional' villain. He's not real. he's the collective projection of peoples fears and disgust. He's the top hat and gladstone, moving swiftly through the London fog, the swarthy fellow with the black moustache, clearly a Frenchman for no Englishman would have the gaul (pun intended). He's born of panic and alarm, of widespread gossip and misunderstanding. He's a monster. Anyone but us. Because it suits us to distance ourselves from the actions of another human. He's not one of us. He's something else.

And after years of speculation we're still no clearer of his identity, of the nature of the beast. By our own undoing we'd muddied the waters with our own speculations, letting who really did it and why they did it slip away in favour of fancy.

And that, to me, makes for the perfect villain.

Tigger_MK4

My partner and I never got over the total continuity reset of the 3rd season. Season 2 was ace, it was Suppressed Transmission: the TV series. It ends with a potential apocalypse, Peter has disappeared, Kristen Cloke's character has gone really strange, Catherine has *SPOILER* and ...

...Nah, we'll choose to sweep the ending of season 2 under the carpet and, hey, lets give Frank a new sidekick while we're at it.

I agree the continuity reset was a pain.

However, if you look at season three as a self contained TV series its actually pretty damn good...particularly from a CoC/DG viewpoint

Its over the 3 series arc that it jars somewhat...which is a shame given the good cast and productino values, (etc..etc..).

By the way: Sacariest puppet thingy : Joe 90...that machine with the whirling bars they used to put him in scared the willies out of me when I was a kid...

Scaevola

I love Justin Crowe and Management from Carnivale. In literature I love the vampiric being in The Keep, the Hungry One in The Jimjams, the other mother in Coraline, Jarlaxle in the Dark Elf books, the Ancient Enemy in Phantoms, and Nyarlathotep in all his various forms.

SHODAN from System Shock is hands-down my favorite villain.

dogstar

Darth Vader - Uber Villian, whilst Bond villians stroke cats, he announces how bad he is by throttling prisoners and despite being a horribly burned cripple in black body armour/suit out cools all the Jedi. A blow for equality everywhere.

Darth Maul - Though lets face it with a face like that evil is pretty much the only employer in town. Like a poor mans acrobatic vader...

Ja-Ja Binks - The most evil villian in the universe. He single handedly (ok not quite true) ruins any hope and belief left in you that George Lucas was anything but lucky.

Bob - Twin Peaks - Its an old bloke with long hair and minimal special effects, yet he is horrible when climbing over funiture. Loses points for being scared of one armed men, and promoting paedophillia. Thats just too evil.

Vic - From the Shield - As he justifys his actions. Clever stuff.

Ian MacShane in Deadwood - A bad mans, bad guy. The evil genius who lacks compentent minions and is forced into black comedy...

CAThompson

O'Brian from 1984, the best villains are the ones who play villiains especially when they believe in what they do.

WuMing

Mervyn Peake's Steerpike.

Noreen

Trying to think of names, but drawing a blank. A charming, suave, callous, megalomaniac, sociopath that has everyone (except the protagonist, and they constantly doubt their convictions due to other people defending the person) fooled until it's too late. Must have a dedicated/duped minion or two who will get sacrificed for their credulity towards the end. Doesn't want to rule the world, just wants to play with it. Something like that.

Suteck from Dr Who pyramids of mars.

He wasn't evil, just dead irritated by having to sit on a disembodied hand for all eternity. (In the episode, when Sutehk stands up, you can see the hand of one of the stage crew holding the seat cushion down, then dissapear into the shadows beside the chair. :wink: ) Or alternatively, it was the disembodied hand that was the one truly being punished...

Mr_Lin

Darth Maul - Though lets face it with a face like that evil is pretty much the only employer in town. Like a poor mans acrobatic vader...

Think the vocalist spot in The Prodigy might be vacant?

Danforth

Wow, what a thread! Have just read all ten pages. My tuppence worth is;

The Emperor in Revenge of the Sith. A major league dissapointing film but I did feel like a nine year old again despising the prince of deceit that was Palpatine. One of my friends once postulated that he could be Nyarlathotep and you can see why in how he manipulates Anakin.

Darth Vader; would have said him at one time but the prequels now have diminished him into a niave putz for believing Palpatine.

No-one has mentioned Doctor Doom-I like his meglomania and his sense of nobility. there are sympathetic aspects to his character, saving his mother's soul and his gypsy origins make me admire him. Have been lucky enough to play him in some MARVEL role-plays and have tried to get across his evil nobility. An anti-hero rather than a villain?

Sutekh from Doctor Who definately-mainly because tom Baker plays the Doctor as really scared of Sutekh as a force of evil, wheras other villians were diminished by the Doctor's flippant attitiude towards them. you really beleived Sutekh meant business.

In Cthulhu; David Smythe from Dark Designs

and so to not spoil it for others but the villain in A happy family in Adventures in Arkham County was the most chilling portrayal of insanity I have ever read and keepered.

theshoveller

Sutekh from Doctor Who definately-mainly because tom Baker plays the Doctor as really scared of Sutekh as a force of evil, wheras other villians were diminished by the Doctor's flippant attitiude towards them. you really beleived Sutekh meant business.

"I will crush you like an ant, you... ANT!"

I personally hold that 'Pyramids of Mars' is the Doctor Who story most like a CoC adventure. That is to say, until 'The Unquiet Dead'. Here's hoping there are more next season.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now