The_Usernameless_Horror

The Best Villains Ever

Thorulfr
Ahhh, yes, the film version of Starship Troopers come to mind. (Jumps into trench and waits for the first mortar to drop.)

My, you DO like living dangerously, don't you? :wink:

Over on the Traveller Mailing List, that would have marked the opening salvo of the biannual "Starship Troopers proves Heinlein was a fascist!"/"No he wasn't, Heinlein is God!" flame war.

(...to be quickly followed by another round of the Great Piracy Debate, the Near-C Rock Debate, and if someone is feeling particularly perverse, they might bring up the "Female Aslan in Comfortable Shoes" debate just to bring the flamewar to a properly surreal end.)

thor

To quote Dune: Long live the Flamers!

Badger
I've heard rumors that the storyline in the now-no-longer-to-be-made movies 7-9 (it was originally envisioned as a set of three trilogies): the rumor was that some time after the Rebellion had finally defeated the Empire, that region of space was invaded by something truely nasty from the outside. It turns out that Palpatine had some foreknowledge of this event, and decided that the only way that the galaxy could likely survive was to become a unified, ruthless, highly militarized empire.

Azathoth, maybe? :twisted:

-=Badger

thor

Bah humug; The New Republic got what it deserved...

EzekialLockhart

Make fun of me if you want. I nominate Pumpkinhead. I love that movie and I don't know why.

Spearman23

Ah thank you Thor for jogging my memory

Baron Vladimir Harkonen - disgusting, cunning, evil, and brutal whats not to love?

How about Mr Wednesday and Low Key liesmith from American Gods?

(Spoiler)

Anyone who can have himself killed to acheive his goals wins points in my book.

Any member of the family from Roger Zelaznys Amber series - they are all villians at some point

Vader is always going to be favorite. I remeber being glued to my seat everytime he came on the screen as a kid.

Bending the rules a little- The Borg. Before the queen borg and the watered down voyager borg, they were ruthless, implacible, unstoppable, baddies. A villian too powerful for the short sighted writers to work with.

Suteck from Dr Who pyramids of mars.

Al Pepper from Millenium, he was only in one episode, but it was enough for me to model a character after him years later.

Vezini (wallace shawn) from the princess bride for his abusive tounge

Dr. Phibes - Vincent Price- need I say more?

I'll think of some more after a bit of sleep

The_Usernameless_Horror

I'd also go for any members of the Covenant Family from Clive Barker's Undying, especially Bethany and Jeremiah Covenant, and, of course, Otto Keisinger.

Gallowglass
Ahhh, yes, the film version of Starship Troopers come to mind. (Jumps into trench and waits for the first mortar to drop.)

My, you DO like living dangerously, don't you? :wink:

Over on the Traveller Mailing List, that would have marked the opening salvo of the biannual "Starship Troopers proves Heinlein was a fascist!"/"No he wasn't, Heinlein is God!" flame war.

(...to be quickly followed by another round of the Great Piracy Debate, the Near-C Rock Debate, and if someone is feeling particularly perverse, they might bring up the "Female Aslan in Comfortable Shoes" debate just to bring the flamewar to a properly surreal end.)

You forgot Jump-torpedoes...

:mrgreen:

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

(who largely avoids Traveller fandom these days...)

Thorulfr
Ah thank you Thor for jogging my memory

Baron Vladimir Harkonen - disgusting, cunning, evil, and brutal whats not to love?

Perhaps - but only if it is the novel version and not the guy from the David Lynch movie. The movie portrayal was far more twisted, but the novel's Baron was far more interesting as a villain. To him, there were rules - there were certain forms that had to be obeyed, and there was even a strange sense of honor to the way he approached the conflict. It was both disconcerting and fascinating. It makes more sense, too - in the later books where Aliya makes her devil's bargain with the genetic memory of the Baron, there is no way she would have trusted the dribbling pervert of Lynch's movie.

Spearman23

Agreed, the lynch Harkonin was played for gross out shock value. But then again alea wasn't the paragon of stability. I liked the Sci-fi channel Harkonen though.

Oh two other villians

The Master from Dr. Who (anthony ainley/roger delgado) Sophicated and amoral but following a personal code of ethics.

Pinhead- not my favorite but seemed to deserve honorable mention for his steady stream of quoteable lines.

Thorulfr
Agreed, the lynch Harkonin was played for gross out shock value.

Though I must admit - "Squood break!" became the standard call for refreshments in my gaming circle.

Badger

Anyone remember the inbred family featured in the "Home" episode of the X-Files? I emphatically nominate them.

Has anyone put up Khan from Star Trek II? If not, i will. :twisted:

The Chtorr from David Gerrold's War Against the Chtorr books. Nothing'll ruin your day more than having to fight an entire alien ecology complete with giant worms...

-=Badger

ninthcouncil

One that's just come to mind - Henry Fonda as Frank in Once Upon A Time In The West. Very nasty, and all the more effective for being played by an actor previously associated with "Mr Nice Guy" roles. And the final revelation as to exactly why Charles Bronson has been pursuing him armed with a harmonica is one of the great "grand guignol" moments in cinema.

Sinclair

Mr. Cross in "Chinatown", if he hasn't already been mentioned.

Macy's character in "Fargo". He's a great example of how general ineptness can result in very unpleasant consequences.

General Mireau in "Paths of Glory" (the film version). He is a self-serving, amoral bastard.

thor

Harkonnen is great in the novels, and still as twisted ( I think; I haven't seen the movie for at least 5 years) "Bring the boy to my room. *the boy that looked so much like that Paul Atreidies...*"

shadowheart

Hmm...villians...this may require some thought as many of the great ones have already been listed...

My initial list would have to include Vader, Lector, Harkonnen, et al..

However, another comes to mind that seems to have been slightly overlooked, or maybe I am the only one rooting for him...The Joker from the darker series of Batman comics - not the laughing idiot so prevalent in most of the comics, cartoons and movies.

And while most would not consider him a villian, and especially not in the Disney version of things, who can forget the Cheshire Cat (especially as portrayed in the American McGee's Alice game). A true disciple of chaos and discord if I've ever seen one. Sure, he leads with soft words and enigmatic clues, but just why is he leading Alice to all of these potentially harmful places?

RF from ever so many of King's works is another long time fave of mine. The plotting sorcerer from Eye of yhr Dragon, the megalomaniac plaguebearer froim the Stand and the enigmatic wanderer always a step ahead of the hero in the Dark Tower cycle.

From books, I am rather fond of Raj Aten (?) from The Rune Lords (author's name escapse memory at present). He goes on a crusade of conquest as he feels that by doing so he is the only one who can save the world from the evil that threatens it and is ever so much worse than he is. The fact that he will become dictator of all the world just serves to sweeten the deal for him and his chosen companions/servants. Even to the point of his death he maintains that he is the only one capable of fighting off that which is to come.

well, thats about all I can think of for now. will post more if and when they occur to me...

Kiyohira
Anyone remember the inbred family featured in the "Home" episode of the X-Files? I emphatically nominate them.

EWWW they were FOUL 8O Great nomination!

Snoopy
EWWW they were FOUL Shocked

Maybe I've spent too much time in Norfolk, but they seemed strangely familiar... :?

Gallowglass
EWWW they were FOUL Shocked

Maybe I've spent too much time in Norfolk, but they seemed strangely familiar... :?

"Bootiful" :twisted:

Sorry, couldn't resist (and remember, Norfolk AND Suffolk are Deep One country...)

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Snoopy
Sorry, couldn't resist (and remember, Norfolk AND Suffolk are Deep One country...)

Ah yes. The legendary Watchers of Walberswick. I think of it everytime I drive past that town...The really strange thing was at my cousins wedding in Norfolk. I wasn't the groom. What are the odds of that in Norfolk?

And another villain I'd like to add: Retsudo from Lone Wolf and Cub. Elderly, cunning, ruthless, and chillingly honourable. The scenes where he takes care of the "cub" and acts like a father to the child are genuinely tense as the reader knows that Retsudo is quite capable of cheerfully killing the child and its only his fragile honour that stops him from doing so.

Kiyohira

The really strange thing was at my cousins wedding in Norfolk. I wasn't the groom. What are the odds of that in Norfolk?

LMAO, classic!

While we're on the subject of creepy inbred towns, i live a couple miles outside Harwich, Essex... it's small, it's isolated, and it's a port town - it even has a few acres of marshland. I never, ever, EVER go there, I take the 20 minute drive inland to Colchester whenever I need to visit a town... thankfull that I was born THERE instead of in Harwich.

Now that i think about it, the original town of Dunwich isn't very far away from me...

Gallowglass

The really strange thing was at my cousins wedding in Norfolk. I wasn't the groom. What are the odds of that in Norfolk?

LMAO, classic!

While we're on the subject of creepy inbred towns, i live a couple miles outside Harwich, Essex... it's small, it's isolated, and it's a port town - it even has a few acres of marshland. I never, ever, EVER go there, I take the 20 minute drive inland to Colchester whenever I need to visit a town... thankfull that I was born THERE instead of in Harwich.

Now that i think about it, the original town of Dunwich isn't very far away from me...

My friend Keith comes from that part of the world, he helped build Sizewell B and now works as a Government Scientist for the Food Standards Agency, deciding which pesticides etc are "OK"... 8O

I have yet to successfully check his hands and feet for webbing mind... :wink:

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Thorulfr

Here is a villain that is sick, cruel, and completely without honor or redeeming qualities: Drip, the personification of the deadly sin 'lust' in the web comic Jack (WARNING: EXTREMELY mature subject matter).

The story arc "Dinner at Arloest's" starts here. Drip's final bit of emotional savagery is probably the cruelest act I have even seen in a story...

Badger

Ah yes. The legendary Watchers of Walberswick. I think of it everytime I drive past that town...The really strange thing was at my cousins wedding in Norfolk. I wasn't the groom. What are the odds of that in Norfolk?

Care to clue us ignorant 'Merkins on this? :wink:

-=Badger

Kiyohira

I am seriously dubious regarding the sanity of the person who wrote that webcomic... anthropomorphic animals + emotional cruelty + eternal rape and sodomy? 8O By the outer gods, Y'Golonac LIVES...

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now