The_Usernameless_Horror

The Best Villains Ever

AkronTony

I have to agree with others who previously suggested Norman Bates as a favorite villian.

I also like the narrator of The Tell Tale Heart.

There is also the villian across the courtyard (forgot his name) in the movie, Rear Window.

Last but not least, Alice Cooper. The character gets killed in every concert and keeps coming back.[/i]

Sinclair

I always imagine the literary version of Smith as being something like Jack Nicholson or Albert Finney.

Jack Nicholson? He's a great actor, but I don't think he's that great at playing *friendly* characters...

rylehNC

This is an interesting thread, many of the nominees being ones who are somehow redeemed at the end (Vader), ones who's villainy is done for a noble purpose (Ozymandias and Dudley Smith), or ones who actually do good when they feel like it (Lecter & Hyde). I'll nominate Captain Howdy, or Pazuzu, or whoever the demon is from The Exorcist. Capital E-vil with no waffling.

Mr_Lin

Jack Nicholson? He's a great actor, but I don't think he's that great at playing *friendly* characters...

Oh I don't know. :D I think he'd be good at capturing Smith's rather overbearing affability which of course hides something a lot darker and malevolent.

themaninawhitecar

Two words:

Carl Stanford :twisted:

Those of you who do not know him, buy "Shadows of Yog-Sothoth" as soon as it comes out.

Then, you will understand. :wink:

Anaxphone

Oh I don't know. :D I think he'd be good at capturing Smith's rather overbearing affability which of course hides something a lot darker and malevolent.

Right, imagine him emoting his persona from "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" to cover the pure unadulterated Eeeevil...

Anaxphone, best villian... I dunno, maybe Peter Wiggins?

Sinclair

McMurphy in "Cuckoo" is a guy who dislikes authority and has zero impulse control. I don't know if he'd manage to keep from getting fired from the police force as a grunt.

Do you mean Peter Wiggin as in Orson Scott Card, or WigginS, from something else? Because the former is not really *evil*, just messed up.

A good thing to keep in mind is that most people who do evil, quite possibly all, either think they're doing good, or don't really have any notion of good/evil at all. And the scary part is, how in the end do we really know if we've done good or not? There's no objective standard.

Anaxphone
McMurphy in "Cuckoo" is a guy who dislikes authority and has zero impulse control. I don't know if he'd manage to keep from getting fired from the police force as a grunt.

Do you mean Peter Wiggin as in Orson Scott Card, or WigginS, from something else? Because the former is not really *evil*, just messed up.

A good thing to keep in mind is that most people who do evil, quite possibly all, either think they're doing good, or don't really have any notion of good/evil at all. And the scary part is, how in the end do we really know if we've done good or not? There's no objective standard.

I wasn't saying McMurphy as Smith, but referencing it as evidence that Mr. Nicholson could do a blustering, good-natured Irishman persona- a point you had questioned earlier.

Yes, I was referring to Peter from the Orson Scott Card novels. I would say that it is at least debatable as to whether or not he's merely "just messed up", but true evil isn't a requirement for a villian. As you've pointed out above, some of the worst actions have been caused by those who are convinced that they're doing the right thing, after all.

Anaxphone, I like my villainy tinged with moral ambiguity

Thorulfr

If we are talking about Jack Nicholson, why has no one yet mentioned "The Witches of Eastwick"? Now THERE is a smooth, slick, charming villain. All the more interesting because (at least in the movie), you never find out what is really at stake - we have our suspicions, but the full details of the nefarious plot are never revealed. Also, he may have been thwarted...for now, but with the way his kids react to him, you know it is only a matter of time.

Badger

Herr Starr - Preacher. If the top villian isn't a German, bald, white suited, one eyed, former GSG-9 officer, Christian fundamentalist and sociopath with a series of increasingly extreme sexual dysfunctions and missing body parts then life just isn't worth living. Just one word - "Swordfish". :lol:

I can't believe i forgot about Starr! *smacks forehead* All Hail the Allfather!!

Cassidy also Preacher - the best friend from Hell who'll smile at you as he slips a knife firmly between your shoulderblades.

I dunno if i'd consider Cassidy a villain- it's not like he sided with Masada or anything. He was just a very flawed, human character. I would say that the Saint of Killers was more a villain than Cassidy, and even that's a stretch.

-=Badger

TheKingInYellow

Walter Sullivan, from Silent Hill 4: The Room...

I don't sleep well anymore, thinking he might be looking through my peephole... In the hallway... Please! What do you want from me!?!

Sinclair
Yes, I was referring to Peter from the Orson Scott Card novels. I would say that it is at least debatable as to whether or not he's merely "just messed up", but true evil isn't a requirement for a villian. As you've pointed out above, some of the worst actions have been caused by those who are convinced that they're doing the right thing, after all.

Peter Wiggin isn't really a *villain*, he's more a semi-antagonist.

Orson Scott Card is a great writer, but in some books he just seems to have to have the main characters spend half the damn time beating themself up. After a while, I start to have more sympathy for the villains, or even the misguided (Like whatshisname, Admiral or whatever Lands, who was going to MD Lusitania) because at least they aren't so self-doubting.

Still, he's written loads of great stuff, and at least characters who doubt themself is better than characters who never do.

Langdale

Tak from Stephen King's Desperation

Although I know its Disney, Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame, just love the part of the priest turning evil by his lust for a woman.

And I definately agree about Sheriff Lucas Buck from American Gothic, a series that was unfortuantely not able to make the ratings apparently, but should have.

Aquilia

ok here's a couple of my favorite villains

Betty from Kung-Pow enter the fist i mean anyone who beats you up while dancing to rap has got to be evil.

the kid in the movie identity, i still dont trust little kids anymore thanks to that.

brick-top in snatch and probobly hawkeswill from the sharpe novels of course there are heaps more bu they have already been listed for the same sorts of reasons i have.

The_Usernameless_Horror

the kid in the movie identity, i still dont trust little kids anymore thanks to that.

Never trust kids. Give them a fly and a pair of tweezers instead and they'll be happy for hours.

thor

I resent that, you see, in actual- wait! Are those TWEEZERS! FLYS! THIS COULD KEEP ME ENTERTAINED FOR HOURS!

Sylv
I resent that, you see, in actual- wait! Are those TWEEZERS! FLYS! THIS COULD KEEP ME ENTERTAINED FOR HOURS!

Look at the little scamp go!

Some more villains: If anyone else has seen the Emperor's New Groove I nominate the tag team of Yzma and Cronk, Evil Sorceress/Mad-scientist and idiot bodyguard respectively. I don't think I've ever seen a duo quite like them. (ENG was, by the way, probably the funniest thing Disney has ever put out. If there's any justice the writing team will be hired back again.)

Invadser Zim from, uh, Invader Zim: I really liked his arrogant obliviousness to his own incompetence combined with the spastic voice acting.

Dr Forrester from MST3K: How could I have forgotten him? His lime-green labcoat, his abusive relationship with TV's Frank, his glowering hatred of Joel and Mike...Truly a villain for the ages.

The_Usernameless_Horror

I've noticed there are an awful lot of mad scientist villains suggested in this post, e.g. Fabius Bile (OK, I said him, but people agreed), Dr Forrester, Dr Moriarty, Dr Jekyll, Fu Manchu etc.

By the way, isn't 'Fabius Bile' just the best villain name ever.

wendigogo

On the comical side, don't forget Jean-Baptist Emmanuel ZORK from The Fifth Element

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0119116/

Zorg:"Life, which you so nobly serve, comes from destruction, disorder, and chaos"

Mythos

Let us add another mad scientist, one who, imo, does not get enough credit.

Doctor Miguelito Quixote Loveless, from the orginal Wild Wild West.

RdphCarter
Easy one: Darth Vader.

Bah! Vader was nothing next to the calm understated power of Emperor Palpatine. "And now young Skywalker, you will die." Classic stuff.

Thorulfr

I've heard rumors that the storyline in the now-no-longer-to-be-made movies 7-9 (it was originally envisioned as a set of three trilogies): the rumor was that some time after the Rebellion had finally defeated the Empire, that region of space was invaded by something truely nasty from the outside. It turns out that Palpatine had some foreknowledge of this event, and decided that the only way that the galaxy could likely survive was to become a unified, ruthless, highly militarized empire.

Talk about your moral ambiguity...

A pity that they won't be made; the story could have some interesting resonance in the post 9/11 world.

Bruinsfan

Hmm. Maybe it's just the surroundings here, but using the words " region of space was invaded by something truely nasty from the outside" makes me think of stuff that lightsabers and blasters probably wouldn't be too effective against.

Though I suppose the mythos would explain both the Sarlaac and that giant asteroid worm that apparently hung out in space waiting for food to land in its gullet.

FunGuyfromYuggoth
I've heard rumors....turns out that Palpatine had some foreknowledge of this event, and decided that the only way that the galaxy could likely survive was to become a unified, ruthless, highly militarized empire.

Talk about your moral ambiguity...

Ahhh, yes, the film version of Starship Troopers come to mind. (Jumps into trench and waits for the first mortar to drop.)

thor

That has already come to pass... lets just say that after the attack of the Youzhann Vong in the "New Jedi Order" 20 book series, the galaxy has officially had its a** handed to it...

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now