The_Usernameless_Horror

The Best Villains Ever

The_Usernameless_Horror

Who (or what) would you say are the greatest fictional villains ever, for such characteristics as their originality, motives, methods and personality?

I'd vote for Sadako Yamumuru from the Ring films - you've got to love a villain whose purpose is just to cause as much suffering as possible in revenge on the world and does so by the most bizarre and surreal means imaginable. Her appearance is one of the most chilling in all horror films, her powers are interesting and terrifying and the audience can actually sympathise strongly with her motives.

Moth_maggash

Karikahara from Koroshiya - Itchi the killer. Man, is he twisted...

And the default vote for Hanibal Lecter. How can one not love him?..

I really like sadako as well, especially after i herad how she came to be in the ringu film(I forget which one), where the explains how there used to be only one of them, but somehow, somewhere along the line, she split in two. Yikes! 8O

Bruinsfan

Would Frankenstein's monster actually be considered a villain at all? If so, the whole angry vengeance for having been created in the first place angle is a pretty impressive motivation.

ossadagowah

In the Call of Cthulhu universe, my vote would

go for Mr. Shiny.

My other favorite fictional villains include Sadako,

Samael in Silent Hill, Pyramid Head in Silent Hill,

Gendo in Evangelion, Hellmaster Philbriizo in Slayers,

the nation of Zaibach in Escaflowne, and Kagato from Tenchi Muyo.

Mithras

Movie-wise, I'll root for -

Daniel Day-Lewis as (semi-fictional) William 'Bill the Butcher' Cutting,

F. Murray Abraham as (semi-fictional) Antonio Salieri,

Jason Isaacs as (semi-fictional) Col. William Tavington,

Tetsuo from Akira,

and Jack Nicholson as Col. Nathan R. Jessep.

Can't rule out the Prowse/Earl Jones Darth Vader either.

In TV,

Nickolas Grace as Robert de Rainault, Sheriff of Nottingham,

Pete Postlethwaite as Sgt. Obediah Hakeswill

and Adrian Pasdar as Jim Profit.

thor

Horus from the Warhammer 40,000 universe. A good man (or superman I guess...) who tried to save humanity and failed... and then was potrayed as a traitorous bastard by the victors of that war, while his followers became twisted shadows of their former selves.

Badger

Oooo, good question...

- Gabriel from Prophecy (well, pretty much *any* villian that Christopher Walken plays, but Gabriel has some of the best lines ever)

- The Thing from The Thing (okay, i know it's not even remotely human, but c'mon- as Lovecraft influenced villans go, it takes the cake. And all the partygoers too. Yum!)

- John Doe from Se7en

- Krychek from The X-Files (if you ever need to come up with a slimy doublecrossing bastard for your DG game, look no further)

- Magneto from X-Men I and II (one of the most complex villians put to screen in recent memory, IMHO)

- "Bob" from Twin Peaks

- Hans Gruber from Die Hard (fun and ruthlessness, all rolled into one!)

- For a direct Call of Cthulhu reference, i'll say Stephen Alzis

- and finally....Lo Pan from Big Trouble In Little China! ("Shaddap, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to 'get it'!")

-=Badger

noah456

My favorite fictional villain of all time is Randall Flagg from the Eye of the Dragon. by Stephen King. The bit with the enchanted gauntlet and the poisoned spider is the coolest fantasy scene ever. I hear he's a key player in the Gunslinger series, and of course he's in The Stand. But he's done best as a plotting sorcerer.

Thorulfr

Ooooh, this one would require a lot of thought...

In anime, Zagato from Magic Knights Rayearth is a very interesting as a villain - through most of the series he seems to be a standard-issue, 2-dimensional bad guy, but in the final episode the plot twists hit and the truth is pretty mind-blowing.

I agree about Hannibal Lector, but I am going to make myself unpopular by stating that I far, FAR preferred the portrayal by Brian Cox in the first movie "Manhunter" (the one directed by Michael Mann), and NOT the portrayal by Anthony Hopkins in "Silence of the Lambs" - Hopkins is so over-the-top that Lector turns into a cartoon villain. Brian Cox is way more chilling because he seems so NORMAL: this quiet, likable doctor that you might meet on the street. It is only through tiny hints and little comments that you get a hint of the monster within.

While explaining the possible motivations of the serial killers puzzling actions: "Have you ever seen blood by moonlight? It turns quite black."

I am also quite fond of Elijah Price (played by Samual L. Jackson) from "Unbreakable"...a very sad, twisted individual, but one whose actions make perfect sense when seen from his own perspective.

cynick

Judge Death, simply for his purity of vision - Crime is committed by the living, so life itself must be a crime. The only possible sentence is death!

(Plus he is the only decent Dredd villain who hasn't been killed off at the first encounter)

thor

Oooh, I had forgotten about Randy Flagg, also known as The Walking Dude, and, The Crimson King. He is off da fozizzle! King's first description of him in The Stand is great. Plus the simple idea of a modern day sorceror walking across a post apocalyptic America is... chilling.

Moth_maggash

But that's exactly the thing about Lecter; his cool rationale crosses over to something surreal, he's never bothered by anything!(this is really going to hurt...) He has such a complete understanding of the human mind, and its ways, and how we percieve the world, mixed with either, A. a consciouss way of being, to unsettle people and put them off guard, ad thus more vulnerable, or B a complete lack of understanding/care for how humans act, making him the perfect predator in our society. And come on; Anthony Hopkins is brilliant! Every line is a qote in it's right self. I mean, even "Hello Clarice" is a classic! I don't even understand how you fail to fall in love with the guy instantaneously?!? It's not a sexual thing, I assure you. He's just so proper, so civil! Damnit, had he existed in reality, britney spears and christina aguilera had been the first to go! I'ts not just an average-of-themill-psycho, there is an absolute method to his madness. Realistically portraying him as the ultimate cultists is my dream as a Keeper, and his current manifestation is named Jürgen Teller, a nazi that has survived world war 1 to the 1920's...

8O

Wait!

That was supposed to be in antoher thread...

... Never mind.. I'll post it later..

I need some help anyway

And this is turning into a rant.. Actually I just confessed to my own rant.. That DEFINETLY makes it a rant... People, please bear with me... I have a chronic comma disorder :roll:

Moth_maggash
Horus from the Warhammer 40,000 universe. A good man (or superman I guess...) who tried to save humanity and failed... and then was potrayed as a traitorous bastard by the victors of that war, while his followers became twisted shadows of their former selves.

That being said, Kharn, the betrayer, is the true hero of chaos. I'm sure you've read why, and no-one else cares, so I'll leave it to you. Do you agree?

thor

Hmm... not so sure about Kharn, because, the World Eaters as a whole were kind of evil from the start. Horus needed their services... hes more of a butcher then a hero.

SteelScarab

man.. you guys missed the best villain of them all. Blixx from "Legend". that has o be the absolute best portrayal of a goblin that I have ever seen. He is my favorite villian.

Moth_maggash

Alright, if people are gonna pull out vageriues, I chose Morg'n'Thorg from the original Blood Bowl. Everybody else just played the game, and tried to survive; Him? He did it because he thought it was funny...

As to this goblin character, I need some information. Well, I WANT some information... And about Kharn, That's true! The "gods" wanted blood, and the petty soldiers hid from rain and bombshells?!? DAMNIT! Kharn was the man with plan! And had everyone-else stood by him, in his endless onslaught, despite the constant barrage of hell-fire missiles, he wouldn't have had to kill them all, now, had he?!? "It's all a matter of will-power!"

Besides, it's all about getting your essential vitamins! That's the trick!

thor

I guess I see your point... vaguely. Of course, willpower didn't save him from having his brains spattered all over the Emperor's Palace now did it?

Moth_maggash

No, it didn't, but that's not the point! And besides, he was woke up from his "rest" be the gods, was he not?!? It just goes to show who the winning team is... Not necessarily the coolest, or most fun team, but still, Khärn got himself a made man, to use mafioso terms... (I have watched a fair amount of sopranos, and I feel this is enough to qualify my in theese terms)

Kiyohira

Just a few of my personal favorites...

Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII) - 'nuff said.

Temozarela (from the manga, Priest) - A renegade angel who, feuding with god, seeks to attack him via the rape and ruin of his prized creation, mankind. Descending to earth, he and his followers embark on a campaign of savagery, corruption and vile subversion from the battlefields of the crusades to the halls of the inquisition...

The Ringwraiths (Lord of the Rings, but you don't need me to tell you that) - Glory become tragedy, turned to eldritch nightmare... merciless, unrelenting horrors and, simultaniously, reminders of the frailty and folly of humanity.

The Thing (The Thing) - Unspeakable gribbly horror from the stars! While not openly a Mythos creature, the Thing is undeniably one of the most lovecraftian villains ever to grace the screen.

Kayako (Ju-On: the Grudge) - One of a family of Gaki (japanese ghosts) created by thier rage at thier own horrible deaths, Kayako stalks, terrorizes and eventually devours the souls of those unfortunate enough to come to her attention. Think Ringu's Sadako (also one of the finest villains ever) only worse - while Sadako relied on the fear of anticipated death, Kayako turns her victims' lives into a nightmare of ghastly apparitions and macabre hallucinations before finally closing for the kill.

The Fallen Lords (Myth) - I'm listing them as a group because i couldn't possibly choose just one. Among the ranks of these undead tyrants are Soulblighter, a vile sorcerer who cut off his own lips and tore out his own heart in a dark ritual* to prolong his unnatural existance, and Myrdred, whose campaign left a kingdom "choked with the shattered remains of two armies and pregnant with diseases of the blood"...and whose tactics included marching zombies into a river feeding a major city - there to stand until they rotted away, befouling the city's entire water supply.

* = a ritual evidently practiced by Hellboy's villainous undead nazi Kroenen, prior to becoming a clockwork zombie assassin. As one does...

Nodens

Easy one: Darth Vader.

The_Usernameless_Horror
Hmm... not so sure about Kharn, because, the World Eaters as a whole were kind of evil from the start. Horus needed their services... hes more of a butcher then a hero.

I'd actually go for Fabius Bile as the best (worst) of the chaos villains. I wish we knew more about him - he is possibly the only person who serves the forces of chaos not because of his belief in it but because he has the most to gain from it - a classic definition of evil. Plus I like mad scientists a lot.

Sylv
Easy one: Darth Vader.

Can't argue with that one. I'm also going to second Pyramid Head and Samael.

Bester and Morden from Babylon 5: They're terrific "love to hate them" characters. They play their parts with lots of smarm and self confidence and it's so still good to see them get what's coming to them.

Megabyte from ReBoot: He's the epitome of smooth, charming megalomaniac combined with a terrific British accent and lots of false sincerity. Possibly my favorite villain ever.

Kiyohira mentioned Kroenen and I'm going to have to put him on the list. He wasn't just an undead clockwork nazi cyber ninja. He was a stylish undead clockwork nazi cyber ninja.

From the Invisibles, the Archons and their servant Sir Miles. The Archons were horrible, fascinating things to stare at and Sir Miles was a despicable, tired old man who nevertheless elicted my sympathy if not my support.

Shodan from System Shock: Merciless, terrifyingly intelligent and with an ego so enormous that the AI thinks she's achieved godhood. The best part was her voice, which was distorted, looped, fed back and obscured by babbling, sighing and harsh whispering to reflect her unstable state of mind once her ethical constraints were removed.

Soultaker from the Black Company series. One of those villains whose mysterious at first but who doesn't become any less dangerous or interesting once origins and identities are revealed over the course of the novels.

The_Usernameless_Horror

While not exactly a villain, I'd also vote for Neil Gaiman's Lucifer from the Sandman books. His particular depth and style and his final repentance are amazingly well portrayed. And the Sandman is generally cool, and it features many Lovecraftian allusions e.g. Arkham asylum, and various books from mythos stories (and the Liber Paginum Fulvarum - 'The Book of Yellow Pages').

Also I'd go for most of Pratchett's villains, especially the Queen of the Elves who is basically Galadriel fused with the Marquis de Sade.

Sylv
Also I'd go for most of Pratchett's villains, especially the Queen of the Elves who is basically Galadriel fused with the Marquis de Sade.

It's interesting how she's turned into one of his recurring villains. Did you catch her latest apperance in Wee Free Men? I loved that crazy dreamland.

I also dug Teatime (it was probably the eye) and was unsettled deeply by Vorbis. I don't think he's ever done a more frightening villain.

Mr_Lin

My favourite fictional villain is Dudley Smith from James Ellroy's LA Quartet novels (and their predecessor Clandestine). The perfect example of a man who believes the ends justifies the means. If those means also happen to make him rich into the bargain that's even better.

I am going to make myself unpopular by stating that I far, FAR preferred the portrayal by Brian Cox in the first movie "Manhunter" (the one directed by Michael Mann)

So did I. :)

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now