StephanieMcAlea

Chaosium Kickstarter: Horror on the Orient Express Box set

dce

Looks like the Kickstarter has been off to a good start -- one day in and the project is about to hit the 75% funded mark.

I hope the folks at Chaosium take this as a sign that this is a viable business model for making nice, polished, high-quality versions of their products.

Dean (from Adelaide)

red_bus
If Chaosium mark it as "book" or "printed material" then nothing at all... the problem is making sure that Chaosium does that.

Adam is spot on here. Printed material is zero-rated. As to other materials, one option is to ask Chaosium to send any bags/figs/obviously-not-paper-ephemera separately. Sometimes You can get lucky...if a package looks like it is books, then you can often get away with a few odds and ends inside. But if Chaosium stamp "GAME" all over the outside - then you are traipsing along to the sorting office to hand over pounds to a grumpy teller on Saturday morning.

msk

OK, so I'm in too. I hope I got this right: I went for the $60 campaign option but, if I've read it properly, I had to add an extra $25 to my pledge for being an overseas (i.e UK) order. I would have liked an option that included the dice but I wasn't interested in the tote bag etc that comes with the next level up.

yockenthwaite
OK, so I'm in too. I hope I got this right: I went for the $60 campaign option but, if I've read it properly, I had to add an extra $25 to my pledge for being an overseas (i.e UK) order. I would have liked an option that included the dice but I wasn't interested in the tote bag etc that comes with the next level up.

There's a bit of uncertainty at the moment re overseas shipping surcharges. Meghan of Chaosium issued an update last night (see the updates tab on the kickstarter page) revising the charges. But we're still trying to verify what they are. I originally added $25 for my Campaign Deluxe order, but it looks like I might just need to pay $10 now. She will clarify things as soon as possible, but since Chaosium are at Gencon there may be a bit of a delay.

justadame

Of course, kickstarter is just like pre-ordering, with more leeway and options. Yeah, makes more sense.

Easy to forget how small some firms are, and of course, small, high quality print runs, cost a lot of money.

Well, I hope they make it a good one, I used to have the old edition (in the paper sleavey thingy) but sold it in a mad clear out on Ebay some years before {sigh}.

cjearkham
I know it's ridiculous to suggest as the Innsmouth House Players probably don't have money to burn, but wouldn't it be cool if (using the Rogues Gallery pledge level) we could get Betty Sunderland, Professor Morretti, Colonel Goodenough, Violet and Grace as pre generated characters in the book :)

I've written Chaosium to request that these characters be added anyway, as a tribute. I think YSDC's recorded campaign has done more to promote this product than anything Chaosium themselves could have done -- and that's without the associated publicity from drooling over the German edition (which seems to be happening for pretty much anything a European licensee puts out these days).

Pookie
I've written Chaosium to request that these characters be added anyway, as a tribute. I think YSDC's recorded campaign has done more to promote this product than anything Chaosium themselves could have done -- and that's without the associated publicity from drooling over the German edition (which seems to be happening for pretty much anything a European licensee puts out these days).

It would be easy to include as a funding reward. As yet, Chaosium has not announced any of those so...

MrBlueSky
As yet, Chaosium has not announced any of those so...

I did get a response about my question. It was "sounds good, we're focused on Gen-Con, check back next week". Probably fair enough. I assume that applies to most updates on the Kickstarter.

Regarding my question, for those interested, soon there might be some backer levels above First Class designed for Players/Keepers (rather than retailers). I was disappointed I had to choose between the T-Shirt (Campaign Deluxe) or Keeper Screen (First Class) without an option to get both. Hopefully we'll see more options next week.

Also, just $327 to go!

Tigger_MK4

Goal achieved !...

WiseWolf

I am glad that Chaosium finally decided to do this. This will give them money to do something big. It is their opportunity to do something great or once and for all step on their supportive fans. First class traveller for this.

dce

Hmm ... I'm sure Chaosium would certainly be happy if the Kickstarter really *were* trending towards ending at $243,000 [click the link and you'll see what I mean] ... that's probably their operating budget for (I wouldn't care to speculate how many) years!

Personally, though, I'm just happy that the project has reached its target and we really will be getting a nice, deluxe reprint of HotOE!

Dean (from Adelaide)

TAK

Personally, though, I'm just happy that the project has reached its target and we really will be getting a nice, deluxe reprint of HotOE!

Dean (from Adelaide)

True that, but if it goes over and one can imagine it should get to around 100k at least considering HotOE has never been reprinted and it is a good campaign. And of course, if you look at things like Monte Cook's Numenera or Shadows of Esteren, I won't be surprised if it will go high.

Noble

I am having a little bit of a blonde moment chaps, do you need to add $25 for shipping on the First Class Edition?

It isn't stated under the blurb.

Black-Seal-Editor

Yes you do. Its in the first or second update. But not the blurb.

TAK
I am having a little bit of a blonde moment chaps, do you need to add $25 for shipping on the First Class Edition?

It isn't stated under the blurb.

For all perks under FIRST ClASS level please add $10 for international shipping, and for FIRST CLASS level please add $30 (US shipping is expensive, we apologize).

So, it's actually $10 or $30. Which is why I went with 1 below First Class to save $20 on shipping and apparently receive a t-shirt instead of the keeper screen. While I would like the keeper screen, I'm not will to pay $40 for it and lose the t-shirt.

WiseWolf

I thought it was total 30 outside US. Regardless of what you wanted, Toni. So you better check your pledge.

Zarozinia
True that, but if it goes over and one can imagine it should get to around 100k at least considering HotOE has never been reprinted and it is a good campaign. And of course, if you look at things like Monte Cook's Numenera or Shadows of Esteren, I won't be surprised if it will go high.

I hope so too, but I'm less confident. I think for it to do really well it would need to attract interest from the wider roleplaying audience (I mean, those of us here on Yog-Sothoth are queuing up to give Chaosium our money, but our numbers represent a fraction of the wider gamer population), and unfortunately HotOE doesn't seem to be attracting much excitement on other RPG forums (it was only listed yesterday on RPG.net's list of Kickstarter projects).

TAK
I thought it was total 30 outside US. Regardless of what you wanted, Toni. So you better check your pledge.

That is a direct copy and paste from the update. And I haven't seen anything else since. I specifically asked them because First Class was missing the shipping info.

Noble

Well I joined in at First Class level $120, just go to settle in for the long haul.

PoC

What a lovely thought!

If Chaosium get in touch with us about such an idea, I'll let you know.

Pookie

The good news is that Chaosium has posted an update, including news of its first Stretch Goal, which is at $50,000.

Shipping rates have also been confirmed.

Emrys
Shipping rates have also been confirmed.

Well, sort of. It still doesn't clarify what the shipping is for First Class - it only says what the shipping costs are for above First Class and below First Class (and that still contradicts the "Details of Rewards" section directly above the FAQs).

WiseWolf

We can assume that above First Class is an inclusive statement.

I don't like the stretch goal reward, where is the benefit for the other 400+ backers that cannot aspire to travel to a Con in the US? I don't think it is a valid one. See the other kickstarters stretch goals, they added something for every layer of the project.

Apofis
We can assume that above First Class is an inclusive statement.

I don't like the stretch goal reward, where is the benefit for the other 400+ backers that cannot aspire to travel to a Con in the US? I don't think it is a valid one. See the other kickstarters stretch goals, they added something for every layer of the project.

I think you got it wrong, the stretch goal reward gor $50,000 is improving the quality of maps and handouts