StephanieMcAlea

Chaosium Kickstarter: Horror on the Orient Express Box set

stefman123

I said I wanted a box set so I'll be putting my money where my mouth is and be backing for 90 dollars

stefman123
Oh dear. I had to chuckle when I read "The $40,000 we are trying to raise ..." when the campaign's target is actually only set up for $20,000.

It's good that Chaosium are continuing with their proofreading traditions.

20k is the actuall amount they need to. Produce it 40k is a streatch goal what that means is for every x amount over the 20 up to 40 they'll put something extra in for backers or this is how kick starters usually work anyway

hamster

I know it's ridiculous to suggest as the Innsmouth House Players probably don't have money to burn, but wouldn't it be cool if (using the Rogues Gallery pledge level) we could get Betty Sunderland, Professor Morretti, Colonel Goodenough, Violet and Grace as pre generated characters in the book :)

PoC

A lovely idea, alas we don't have $3,000 to burn. ;-)

For those who'd like the Call of Cthulhu stats for our HotOE characters, they can be found on the Lovecraftian Tales DVD-ROM as well as in the Community Patrons' Area.

hamster
A lovely idea, alas we don't have $3,000 to burn. ;-)

Sounds like we need to do a Kickstarter project to raise the $3,000 necessary :D

trevlix

Wow...1 day into it and they are already at 43% of their goal. I realize that this momentum will slow down, but its a good sign!

tlynch999

I, too, have boarded the train. First class, of course. Is there any other way to travel? ;)

Karloff

Ye Gods. Which of you loonies gave 'em $500 and will now be a pre-gen character, complete with portrait? I see one of those rewards is already taken, not that I can afford that sort of pledge! My money's on PoC, but you never know ... Not that I'm decrying the Kickstarter, far from it!

PoC
YMy money's on PoC, but you never know...

Not me, I'm afraid. ;-) Had to be much more modest (especially when factoring the additional P&P to the UK)!

Jonathan Wilson

I went First Class, but thinking about upgrading if I could get the wife's permission...lol

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

The Retailer's Delight seems like a good deal even for non-retailers. Six copies for 180$, so 30$ a piece that's interesting (don't know how much it'll cost to ship though).

Contrary to Paul, I think it matters if it's a product stated for 6th or 7th edition. And that has nothing to do with my stance you might have read in the Curse of Chaosium thread. I just have a problem with paying now for a campaign in a system that I do not know if I'll like or not. Of course, I already hear some of you telling me not to back the KS project and wait for it to hit retail. But then it doesn't help reaching its funding goals and usually retail version of a KS project are more expensive and/or not as easily available.

Guess, I'll either have to wait for infos from Chaosium (edition or a playtest of 7th) or do a leap of faith.

Karloff
Not me, I'm afraid. ;-) Had to be much more modest (especially when factoring the additional P&P to the UK)!

Ha! :)

I went as a mere Passenger; the .pdf will suit me fine.

TAK
Oh this is very encouraging indeed! I shall certainly be backing it, and I hope if it goes well then Chaosium will use Kickstarter to help fund 7th edition and we'll end up with a lovely looking product. Maybe even, dare I even dream such a thing, the new rules in a boxed set!

Oh dear, I think I'm drooling a little...

Tigger_MK4

Here, take my money. I dont need to eat this month.

justadame

I hope people will forgive my ignorance, but why can't Chaosium find the funds itself. Is $20,000 or $40,000 really that big a sum for their corporation to find ?

Just finding this all a bit strange.

red_bus

I think one of the advantages for them is that they get the money in advance (I think I understand this correctly..?), which is cheaper than borrowing it and also easier - especially with the way banks are at the moment (I assume US commercial bank culture is broadly similar to UK practice).

But the BIG advantage is that they get to know much more about the demand for this in advance. Some successful kickstarters get just enough to fund the product. Some go way over the top, sometimes many many times over what the initial target is. So, Chaosium will have more information to go on when estimating what the demand will be. Of course we all know here that this will sell - but the question is how much? Will there be demand for 3,000 box sets, or 50,000 ?? Kickstarter helps Chaosium to know a bit more about the potential demand and judge how many to print etc...

neorxnawang
I hope people will forgive my ignorance, but why can't Chaosium find the funds itself. Is $20,000 or $40,000 really that big a sum for their corporation to find ?

I would refer you to the very long Upcoming from Chaosium thread in the forums for a discussion of people's perceptions in this regard. And regretfully, I still haven't been paid for the last publication that I wrote for them--the anniversary date is coming up.

sda

Seems like more and more established companies are going this way. As pointed out, this gives them working capital up front, plus an idea of the numbers of books that might be needed. Also, Chaosium is notoriously and historically REALLY bad with money. Without going into gory details, they are long-known as a company VERY difficult to get your money out of after you write or produce art for them. I think this is a perfect way for them to do business, especially on bigger projects. I'm glad to see they finally jumped on the Kickstarter band wagon.

TAK

Yeah, I don't know if you have noticed, but there isn't really that much money in printing RPGs.

That makes Kickstarter awesome. As red_bus mentioned, you get to see the scope before hand and get paid for the printing before hand.

Also, what sda said.

PoC

After discussions within the Innsmouth House this evening, we've decided to up our pledge to "Retailer's Delight", so we'll be getting six copies into the UK (though we won't be able to confirm any pre-orders at this time).

Roquefort

Anyone have an idea what the import duties would be to the UK, or should I just not worry about it and buy...

Roque.

Pookie
Anyone have an idea what the import duties would be to the UK, or should I just not worry about it and buy...

Roque.

In my experience it varies. I have paid £38 before and I have paid more.

Of course, Customs & Excise might not actually open your parcel at all, and just let it be delivered, but rest assured that if it does, you will be charged for their checking as well as being expected to pay for the import duties.

Black-Seal-Editor

If Chaosium mark it as "book" or "printed material" then nothing at all... the problem is making sure that Chaosium does that.

Evilgaz

If it was WotC it wold be a bit cheeky. Chaosium is essentially three or four people in a shed. Corporation sounds grand, but really its a small family business.

A lot of money is sunk into stock and until its sold, it means other books can't be paid for. Kickstarter allows for the monies up front and the project can then rock on without any delay due to cash flow and what not.

Not that I've got any insight into the financial status of Chaosium, I'm just drawing parallels to similar operations. I know it took a while with Delta Green stuff, because the team on that couldn't afford to print new product until the old stuff sold and they got the cash that had been tied up in books (for example).

Pookie
If Chaosium mark it as "book" or "printed material" then nothing at all... the problem is making sure that Chaosium does that.

The other issue is that the box will contain dice. That might attract the attention of Customs & Excise.

Dice are for gaming and gaming equates to gambling.