Sign in to follow this  
yellowsigh

[Dreamlands] Quick setting question

yellowsigh

Just wondering if, aside from the main Dreamlands book (in various editions) and what can be dug out of The Dreaming Stone, is there much out there, official or otherwise, written about any Dreamlands locales.

I'd love to see one of the Dreamlands cities given its own guide, in the same way as Arkham or Kingsport, because I think that would help make the Dreamlands a stronger setting. At the moment it's more of a travelogue of place names and curious inhabitants, without presenting a details environment to explore. I know there's a wealth of fiction out there, but it seems that with there being little concrete information a lot of Keepers and writers have struck out in directions that don't always knit together well.

In the meantime, however, has anyone attempted to map out or detail any parts of the setting? I'm hoping to use the Dreamlands to bridge a campaign between the Gaslight years and into the early 20th century.

csmithadair

Other than what has been developed in various scenarios placed in whole or in part in the Dreamlands, there hasn't been much in the way of what you're looking for. It's possible someone here has created their own material, though, which they might be willing to share.

WinstonP

There was a Dreamlands special issue of The Whisperer about a decade ago. Dennis Detwiller is working on a campaign, The Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man (portions of which are available on his website). There is also a scenario from Adventures in Arkham Country called The Whore of Barharna set partially in the Dreamlands.

yellowsigh

I think I have a copy of that Whisperer somewhere - I'll have to dig it up.

I may need to work up some details ahead of the the introduction to the setting. Although the Dreamlands is essentially timeless, I may have to build around the aspect of the Dreamlands that appears at the end of Lord of the Dance. I was wondering whether there was an obvious way to make Nyarlathotep a foe from the Gaslight period, and couldn't think of any obvious Nyarlathotep scenarios set in the Gaslight era (without tweaking a 1920s scenario), but I suppose a natural progression from Lord of the Dance to the Dreaming Stone would be a good way to naturally progress the campaign, introduce Nyrlathotep to the player characters (and vice versa) and set up a later 1920s confrontation in Masks.

I'll try to work up some material towards making a Dreamlands city a little more realised (based on existing material) and see if there's enough there to bounce back into the community. :-)

GBSteve

Robin Laws (with some input from Ken Hite and me) is working on Dreamhounds of Paris, a collision of the Paris of the surrealists and the Dreamlands.

But in response to your question, precisely mapping out Dreamlands seems a bit weird to me. I think the setting should be fluid to reflect its dream nature so I'm much happier with vague overlapping details from different dreamers rather than a fixed and, to some extent, dead setting.

yellowsigh

I suppose it's a little odd, but there seem to be certain constants in the Dreamlands that just seem a little vague, and I'd only really focus on one area, like the city of Celephaïs, or maybe one of the cities closer to Ulthar and the Enchanted Woods, in order to explore how to take the bare threads of possibilities and weave them into something more solid, yet still retaining that magical element.

I love the idea of the Dreamlands as a place, but I find it really hard to pin down and get a feel for. Still, I suppose if I only run The Dreaming Stone I'll have given the players a good taste of the setting.

Shimmin Beg

I think to some extent it's awkward because fluid dreamlike locations can become a bit indistinct and indistinguishable, whereas yellowsigh probably wants different locations to feel different, even if they don't need to be precisely nailed down. Does that make sense? So if you can settle on a few distinguishing features for the cities, for example, you can try to instil them with an overall atmosphere that sets them apart from each other.

Taavi

I'm quite fond of Don't Rest Your Head as a Dreamlands supplement.

Necrothesp
I'd love to see one of the Dreamlands cities given its own guide, in the same way as Arkham or Kingsport, because I think that would help make the Dreamlands a stronger setting.

I second that. Just rereading Lovecraft's Dreamlands stories at the moment. Very evocative.

Wayland

A french company has produced a wonderful, fully mapped out guide to Kadath. "Kadath - une guide de la cité inconnu" (Or something similar).

Hardback, wonderful artwork.

I got mine in Paris, it is worth learning French.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this