Sign in to follow this  
SquibblyDibbly

Clockwork and Cthulhu ?

SquibblyDibbly

I just noticed this new release from Cubicle 7, can anyone tell me some more about it ?

I gather that it is designed for the Clockwork and Chivalry setting, but is it easily converted and is there enough background information for it to be useable in a more historical Call of Cthulhu game ?

HomoLupusDomesticus

The only thing I know is that the system used, the Renaissance system, is a d100 system based on D101 Games' OpenQuest rules, so it should be fairly easy to use with Call of Cthulhu.

Zarozinia

I'm tempted by Clockwork and Cthulhu myself, but I've not bought it yet. I own Clockwork and Chivalry, and while the game includes rules for alchemy and clockwork contraptions, and an alternative timeline where these elements change the course of the Civil Wars, the core rules could certainly be played as a straight historical game (I particularly like the rules for the different ideological factions!), and it's close enough to BRP/CoC to steal ideas with a minimum of difficulty. I suspect that Clockwork and Cthulhu will be much in the same vein but I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive answer either!

GBSteve

Forbidden Planet had a copy that I had a look at last weekend. I like the concept but I wasn't particularly impressed by the presentation. Other than that, I don't recall much about it.

Careless

I believe one of our members, Taavi, did a rather extensive review of C&Cthulhu.

I browsed through the product myself a while back - it takes the pseudo-historical situation presented in C&C and tries to foist on both connections and explanations of an inspired bent toward the Mythos.

Off the top of my head, in the normal C&C setting there is a third "force" if you will, a faction that does not run the spectrum between Rupert of the Rhine/Charles' II Royalists or Cromwell's Parliamentarians/New Army. Its the Witch-Queen of Cornwall and her sect who are in fact Satanists a la 16th century witchcraft...

..C&Cthulhu posits them and all Witches (different from the Alchemists of Oxford or the New Army's Clockwork Preachers) to be servants/cultists of Shub-Niggurath.

That's really just a minor point of course, but I did get the feeling from what i've read that our dear Civil War folks don't really understand just what they are dealing with as everything seems refracted through their religious/philosophical/metaphysical assumptions.

liebkraft

Clockwork and Cthulhu already has a fix place on my bookshelf... only need to by it :)

Lisa

So, anyone know when it's hitting stores, especially stores in the USA (like, oh, my local gaming store in NYC)?

Paulito
So, anyone know when it's hitting stores, especially stores in the USA (like, oh, my local gaming store in NYC)?

I saw it on the shelf at Dr No's comic store here in GA well over a month ago, so definitely available.

Lisa

Huh. The Strategist doesn't have it, or at least the NYC one doesn't. How odd.

liebkraft

by the way, I'm currently reading this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Pillars-Hercules-David-Constantine/dp/1597803979/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355146182&sr=8-2&keywords=pillars+of+hercules

it's more the genre of Bronzepunk, but does also fit for Clockwork. The story itself is just amazing in my mind and I hope to mix it with Cthulhu Invictus one day....

doomedpc
Huh. The Strategist doesn't have it, or at least the NYC one doesn't. How odd.

It's definitely available - Cubicle 7 are the publishers, and it has been out for a while. If the store can't order PM me and I'll try and resolve it :)

Roman
It's definitely available - Cubicle 7 are the publishers, and it has been out for a while. If the store can't order PM me and I'll try and resolve it :)

I don't see it as available yet through Amazon.com--any idea when that might happen?

liebkraft

the problem seems to be that only very few books of Cubicle 7 make it to Amazon, eg I never found the Laundry on there.... maybe try it with the store of Cubicle 7: http://shop.cubicle7store.com/

nclarke

Liebkraft, your Google-fu is sadly lacking. I just typed in to Amazon.co.uk "The Laundry RPG" and all the books came up, including two that aren't yet released. Same for Clockwork and Cthulhu although only one copy came up and that in NY at USD 129.

liebkraft

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! :)

but on my behalf, since I'm from Austria I just thought auf Amazon.de.... and there sad but true, not much can be found from Cubicle 7

rogerd
The only thing I know is that the system used, the Renaissance system, is a d100 system based on D101 Games' OpenQuest rules, so it should be fairly easy to use with Call of Cthulhu.

It is and quite frankly I prefer the Renaissance system to BRP and tend to incorporate aspects of the rest in it.

I'm tempted by Clockwork and Cthulhu myself, but I've not bought it yet. I own Clockwork and Chivalry, and while the game includes rules for alchemy and clockwork contraptions, and an alternative timeline where these elements change the course of the Civil Wars, the core rules could certainly be played as a straight historical game (I particularly like the rules for the different ideological factions!), and it's close enough to BRP/CoC to steal ideas with a minimum of difficulty. I suspect that Clockwork and Cthulhu will be much in the same vein but I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive answer either!

It is basically Clockwork and Chivalray with mythos gribblies basically and is the best D100 system in use to date......not the least of which is the Witchcraft system and Alchemy bit fit rather neatly with Nephilim RPG - which is totally awesome. I am a big fan of all the Renaissance, C&C, C&Thulhu stuff at the moment and hope they release another part for sorcerers and other stuff.

preacher95

Anyone read the new edition ?

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this