Sign in to follow this  
PoC

The Express Diaries - Fundraiser & Fulfilment

PoC

Over the past few months we've been dropping the odd hint here and there that a new book was in the works from Innsmouth House Press, well it's time to formally announce it...

The Express Diaries

express-diaries-cover.jpg

The Express Diaries is a novelisation of the Innsmouth House Players (Bradford Players) quite particular journey through this epic Call of Cthulhu campaign. The adaptation is written by Nick Marsh (Soul Purpose, Past Tense, The Ancients) and features superb art by Eric M. Smith (Lovecraftian Tales from the Table and myriad YSDC art). It will be available as an eBook and a wonderful jacketed hardcover.

This book has been years in the making and as you know, printing books and paying authors & artists isn't cheap. As such we'll be holding an IndieGoGo fundraiser (a European-friendly version of Kickstarter).

[update] NOW COMPLETED at

http://www.indiegogo.com/expressdiaries

Some of the fundraiser incentives will include a small number of options for having your name or likeness immortalised in The Express Diaries.

It's a great book, featuring what have become some well-loved characters and I'll be proud to see this published. With your support we can make that happen.

yockenthwaite

I proofread this for Nick. It's really really good :D I think it works if you've heard the audio adventures, but it also works if you haven't, whether you're familiar with the original campaign or not. It captures the players' characters very well, and is a real page-turner. Thoroughly recommended. Looking forward to having a copy in my sticky mitts.

Cthimothy

Excellent! Nick's other books are great and I have no doubt this will be just as good. I wonder if this will be the first published novel based on an RPG campaign (as opposed to novels based on campaign worlds, like the Dragonlance series)?

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

Looks awesome. Definitely looking forward to it.

Thanks Nick, Eric, Paul and all the Bradford/Innsmouth House players!

patrick1971

Could someone put up a link, I'm being inept and having a real issue finding it!...

PoC

The fundraiser doesn't start until mid-late April. ;) The first post was just a heads up that it's coming!

LoneKharnivore

I can only say what I told Nick once I had finished proofing this for him...

"Wow. Just... wow. I haven't finished the audio campaign yet, so this was almost entirely a new story to me, and... well, if you'll permit me to gush for a moment, this book made me laugh, cry, shudder in disgust and shiver in fear; it's a journey in and of itself. You write romance with as deft a touch as you do grisly horror and courageous action. The death of each character is as much of an emotional wrench for the reader as it is for their friends, and the finale was literally stunning. One of the best things I've ever read!"

So, yeah, it's pretty damn good :D

lordof1

*blush*

Thanks LK, YT and Cthimothy.

I owe it all to Garth Marenghi, of course :)

Draugmith

By the Key and the Gate, that is some gorgeous art! Is that a trois-quart portrait of Auntie Betty? :)

Noble

Looking good, will be ready to back this project once it starts up. Grand art work too, I love a wash!

Emrys
Some excerpts from the ms. (and more art samples) are available over on Nick's blog:

The Express Diaries - 2

Is it me or does one of those journal entries indicate that the book's not following the audio game precisely?

Specifically Milos Valinchek's journal entry for Venice when he didn't actually join the party until Trieste.

lordof1
Is it me or does one of those journal entries indicate that the book's not following the audio game precisely?

Quite right, Emrys - well spotted. There are a few changes to the plot, partially for brevity (the book currently weighs in at around 105,000 words) but mainly because what works in a game doesn't always translate well into a novel. What this means is that if you know the audio campaign like the back of your hand, there will still be a few surprises in store for you in The Express Diaries!

On a related note - I was hoping to release a Special Edition version of the audio game to commemorate the release of the book, where all Violet's lines are re-dubbed by a New Zealander, Milos shoots in self-defence rather than cold-blood, Beylab the Perspirer is replaced by a rubbery CGI alien, and the Jigsaw Prince screams 'Noooooo!' during the climactic scene. Sadly, Paul wasn't keen on the idea. Can't imagine why...

Emrys

Ah, that makes sense (tweaking the plot, that is, not Paul's reluctance to produce a Special Edition).

Draugmith
I was hoping to release a Special Edition version of the audio game to commemorate the release of the book, where all Violet's lines are re-dubbed by a New Zealander, Milos shoots in self-defence rather than cold-blood, Beylab the Perspirer is replaced by a rubbery CGI alien, and the Jigsaw Prince screams 'Noooooo!' during the climactic scene. Sadly, Paul wasn't keen on the idea. Can't imagine why...

Laffin like a goon over here. :D

Kallisto73

Yay, I will so back this!

CAThompson

So cool.

Quite right, Emrys - well spotted. There are a few changes to the plot, partially for brevity (the book currently weighs in at around 105,000 words) but mainly because what works in a game doesn't always translate well into a novel. What this means is that if you know the audio campaign like the back of your hand, there will still be a few surprises in store for you in The Express Diaries!

On a related note - I was hoping to release a Special Edition version of the audio game to commemorate the release of the book, where all Violet's lines are re-dubbed by a New Zealander, Milos shoots in self-defence rather than cold-blood, Beylab the Perspirer is replaced by a rubbery CGI alien, and the Jigsaw Prince screams 'Noooooo!' during the climactic scene. Sadly, Paul wasn't keen on the idea. Can't imagine why...

Did you remember to offer to let him do the accents?

HomoLupusDomesticus

This sounds and looks really cool. I'll definitely back this project if I can.

cjearkham
E I wonder if this will be the first published novel based on an RPG campaign (as opposed to novels based on campaign worlds, like the Dragonlance series)?

Probably not. I remember reviews of a number of fantasy books published during the '80s and '90s which said they read like the record of a role-playing game. It may, however, be the first to explicitly admit to being an adaptation of a particular game.

PoC

The fundraiser for The Express Diaries will be launched on Friday, 4th May.

Check back here Friday after next, and May the Fourth be with you! :D

LoneKharnivore

My favourite day of the year! Hurrah :)

jpowell

I've only recently discovered this site (via the HotOE audio recordings!) but I will be contributing to this!

DrVincent

Sign me up immediately please and thank you :)

Dr. V

PoC
Sign me up immediately please and thank you :)

I must admit, I've always envisaged you as "The Marvellous Davenport" - some of the similarities are uncanny. ;)

A heads-up for those who'd like to know: As is often the case, there will be several reward tiers for the fundraiser; the higher levels have only one or two slots at most. We're not sure how quickly they will go, but they are very limited due to their nature.

There will also be "stretch goals" if we go beyond our initial target.

Those who support the fundraiser will:

1. Get it first.
  2. Get it cheaper.
  3. Have their name in the book.
  4. Get exclusive extras.