Tresmegistus

Miskatonic University Podcast

Donnovan_Sunrider

Thanks! Yep, it said from Fangoria. I'm glad Jon could correlate you with the post name. I probably wouldn't have put it together.

I had a flippin' webcam on my shirt. All it takes is a little Audacity magic to make things sound good. ;-)

fubarinpa
Episode 6 has just been released! http://www.mu-podcast.com/6

Another great episode. Can't wait to hear more actual play.

liebkraft

Congratulations to this project, you do the job really well and I'm a regular listener since episode 1

WiseWolf

You guys are going too fast! I can't keep up with you!!! :)

Looking forward to catch up. I am still listening #4.

Donnovan_Sunrider

You have two weeks until episode 7. Better get cracking. ;)

mjmedwick

Just finished listening to the character creation/live play episode for The Ilsley Variant. Apologies - I know you've already touched on this elsewhere, but can you share just a little more of your technical know-how about how you get such good recording quality? Given the fact that you are all joining in from remote locations, it's really top notch -- almost sounds as if all three hosts are recording in the same physical space. I detect distinct improvements since earlier recorded episodes. I asked Paul MacLean a similar question about his recording techniques for the Innsmouth House games, and he mentioned that he's planning to do a technical essay on capturing live sessions, presumably related to binaural audio. That said, games mediated over Skype or phone lines present their own, distinct challenges in that regard. I know that Keeper Dan uses Audacity software, but would love to hear any other insights and observations about recording and refining the audio files. Maybe a few notes on the MU website?

I'm very much looking forward to the next live play installment. Aside from being great fun to listen to, I think these game sessions make an excellent complement to the regular MU episodes, particularly when the keeper and players pause very briefly now and again (as you do) to discuss the practical application and adaptation of the rule set. That's pure gold for those of us who are still keeper-neophytes. For my own part, I'm about to run a long-delayed, original CoC scenario using Fantasy Grounds/Skype about two weeks from now. It's my first time in the keeper's chair in about 20 years, and following along with the MU podcasts has been great preparation as well as a real confidence-booster.

Again, this whole enterprise is proving to be an exceptionally valuable one for those of us interested getting to grips with the nuts and bolts of CoC, and the milieu of Lovecraftian gaming in general. Given the quality of the shows and the listener feedback you've received thus far, it's easy to predict that the MU Podcast is going to snowball into something much bigger over time. Proud to have been one of your loyal listeners since episode 1.

- Michael

PoC
I asked Paul MacLean a similar question about his recording techniques for the Innsmouth House games, and he mentioned that he's planning to do a technical essay on capturing live sessions, presumably related to binaural audio.

Actually it's a book and it covers the lot. :)

mjmedwick
Actually it's a book and it covers the lot. :)

That's great to know, Paul -- sorry I hadn't fully grasped the comprehensive nature of your project. Certainly, an ongoing conversation covering the gamut of techniques, hardware and software can only be valuable for those of us planning to make our own games available to listeners. As mentioned previously, my fondest wish would be to see a consolidated directory of live-play Lovecraftian games on, or associated with YSDC -- not the actual recordings themselves, aside from the Innsmouth House sessions of course -- but a group-curated list of links to other locations on the web where the media files are housed. I intend add my own little contribution to the body of such material, but I need to learn more about the technical aspects of production first.

In any case, it's encouraging to see through the MU Podcast what can be done with tools as simple as the free Audacity software and a webcam microphone!

JonHook

Hi Michael, thanks for the kind words. I'm sure Dan will see your note here, but I'll also be sure to pass it along to him about updating a portion of our MUP website with technical info on what we use to record.

I am not ashamed to admit that I am the moron of our group. Both Murph and Dan record each of our shows, I think it serves a couple of purposes... 1) We have a back-up file of the show, just in case, and 2) Murph's voice can be spliced into the recording, (if need be), to make him sound more "in the same room" kind of thing. Now, as I write this, I do not know if Dan actually does that with Murph's recording. I've only heard that it can be used that way. As far as I know, Dan is just posting the recording he does on his computer. I don't do a dang thing except show up and talk! LOL :)

I'm glad you're liking the Live Play recording. We're having a great time doing it, and I've even mapped out a couple more scenarios to follow-up with, should these investigators survive. :)

We record episode 8 this Sunday, and then record the next installment of the Live Play the Sunday after that. We flip-flop what we record with each Sunday.

PoC
As mentioned previously, my fondest wish would be to see a consolidated directory of live-play Lovecraftian games on, or associated with YSDC -- not the actual recordings themselves, aside from the Innsmouth House sessions of course -- but a group-curated list of links to other locations on the web where the media files are housed.

Sounds like a good candidate for the CthulhuWiki!

Donnovan_Sunrider

Good idea, Paul. I was planning on updating the links on the MUP site to include such things, so I'll mirror any of that content into the CthulhuWiki.

Thank you for all the kind words about the quality of our shows. Murph did record his separately for a while, but then he stopped. I have only the tracks I have on my side.

Here's a quick break-down of what I have...

Here's my microphone. For the cost, this thing is awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E2X3PU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

It needs this cable to go to the USB on the computer:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050CEEIW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

This kind of mic needs to be powered (the USB does that just dandy), usually from a mixer. I hope to eventually get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302USB-Premium-5-Input-Interface/dp/B005EHILV4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I167HT94TJYCHN&colid=30S8DH2MKGFDW

We use Skype for the call, and I have Call Graph to record the calls (also free).

http://scribie.com/free-skype-recorder

The first few episodes, I had to insert the sound effects while editing, but now I play them live so the other hosts can hear them with a program called Morph Vox, from http://www.screamingbee.com/

There's a free version of the program that has a few locked-down voices and sound effects. I paid for the full version and I love it. You know the voice of the old man talking (Armitage) as you're walking down the stairs to the Special Collections vault? That's me. I have other cool stuff in mind for voices, but I haven't had the extra time to follow through on them yet.

We do have episode 2 of the live play on my hard drive. Those take longer to edit than regular podcast episodes, so I'm procrastinating on it. I think I may do a monthly release on them so I can be a few episodes ahead on the post-production side.

I do intend to make a full page for those who are curious about the tech side of the podcast thing. It takes a lot of research to get a handle on what method would work for you and your group.

One of the best resources I've found is this podcast: http://theaudacitytopodcast.com/

The host, Daniel Lewis has a great way of breaking down the basics. It's well worth a listen.

There is also this site: http://podcastanswerman.com/learn-how-to-podcast/ with some good videos that explain some of it. That host is more about selling you stuff than helping people learn though. Daniel has been far more helpful for me in my learning.

There are also the ubiquitous podcasting Dummies books, which help with some basics. And I fully intend to buy Paul's book when it's finished. I'd love to learn from his experience.

Cthulhugh

Joking,had to say it as it was me,another great show guys.Speaking about recording stuff I recorded the bumper on my my new toy that seems to do everything in one package,Its a Zoom H2next Handy Recorder,seems like a good compromise for a newb like me.

WiseWolf
You have two weeks until episode 7. Better get cracking. ;)

Finally I finished! Good stuff all around, I sent you a recorded message. The scenario from Jon that I am talking about is The Faculty Party (I did some research, you see).

BTW, when are you going to release the next game session?

liebkraft

I really like this Podcast and since you said that you could use some people to speak about various Cthulhu Sourcebook, I hereby volunteer. I could do the monograph 'the Cruel Empire of Tsan-Chan'

Donnovan_Sunrider

Great!

Record something and send it in. We'd love to add it to the show.

WiseWolf- I still have to edit the second live play session. I'm thinking of releasing them one a month. The last couple of intended recording sessions of the game have been delayed, so the two is all we have so far.

tanstaafl

OK, I'm caught up. Waiting on episode 7 and part 2 of your play session.

One comment on something from your live play. Can I just say that I don't like "traits"? You seemed to be happy with finding out that your character was greedy, but my thought was "if I wanted to play a greedy character I'll role-play one". I don't like it when a game system tries to tell me how I should be playing my character. (Within broad limits of course; certainly a CoC campaign requires a certain type of character but you know what I mean.)

Not having seen the new Gaslight myself I can't really comment, but are the traits of the "you have to play your character this way" type?

JonHook
OK, I'm caught up. Waiting on episode 7 and part 2 of your play session.

One comment on something from your live play. Can I just say that I don't like "traits"? You seemed to be happy with finding out that your character was greedy, but my thought was "if I wanted to play a greedy character I'll role-play one". I don't like it when a game system tries to tell me how I should be playing my character. (Within broad limits of course; certainly a CoC campaign requires a certain type of character but you know what I mean.)

Not having seen the new Gaslight myself I can't really comment, but are the traits of the "you have to play your character this way" type?

The traits are totally optional. It even says that if you don't like what you rolled up, then just ignore it. What I like best about them, is that they can be a great source to motivate the player to role-play in a particular way that he/she may not normally do so as. And, if there are any game mechanic bonuses or penalties, the game designers have already thought about that for you. So if you wanted to role-play a character with a particular trait, you can not worry about rolling for a trait, look it up on the chart, and see if you get any enhancements to your character because of it.

liebkraft
Great!

Record something and send it in. We'd love to add it to the show.

WiseWolf- I still have to edit the second live play session. I'm thinking of releasing them one a month. The last couple of intended recording sessions of the game have been delayed, so the two is all we have so far.

I'm looking forward to it, but since I'm wrapped up a bit currently, it'll be a short while, but I'll get back to you once I've finished the recording

Donnovan_Sunrider

Episode number 7 has just been released! http://www.mu-podcast.com/7

We finish out the Combat rules and visit the Bestiary.

Now with an all-new web site!

Cthulhugh

Another fine podcast boys,speaking of Cthulhu Dark,I was looking at RPPR Actual Play website a little while ago and I found this

Hope Murph makes it back for the next one...not that number 7 was lacking..... ;)

Chad Out of Space
Episode number 7 has just been released! http://www.mu-podcast.com/7

We finish out the Combat rules and visit the Bestiary.

Now with an all-new web site!

Great episode, Fighting Cephalopods! And thanks for using my feedback, and for the insightful answers. Missed the Murph, of course, but glad you won't let schedule issues bring the show to a halt.

Oh, and thanks for publicly accusing me of being a cultist. You'll be hearing from my people. (creepy emoticon here)

Whoever (Dan?) revamped the website: hats off to you. The design is very pleasant, with nice paper textures and new tile layout for the front page -- top-shelf all the way! Bully!

John, glad to hear you'll be playing Cthulhu Dark at your local con. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, and I do hope we get to listen in! I think CD, ToC and other Lovecraftian systems really help to inform Call of Cthulhu investigating and Keeper-ing when we come back to the home system. I really dig ToC's "Drives" mechanic, for example. It's a great way to create characters that have an entry point into supernatural investigation -- which can sometimes be a challenge. I have used the Drives list when starting a new campaign, and allow players to take or leave them. Some players like having such background details to lean on. Others come to the table with a character concept fully formed.

Similarly, about "Traits": I'd certainly rather not see CoC become an advantage-disadvantage system like GURPS or Hero, but rolling randomly can help a player see their character from a slightly different angle. I would, of course, support players always having veto power over those traits, though.

Just to follow through on the feedback dialogue...

John: I agree about the challenges of con settings. Seems like it's tough to raise goosebumps amid all the distractions, but if you're lucky maybe you can give players a scene or two that would haunt them later.

Dan: I was thinking both campaigns and one-shots, but I like what you said about having a campaign cover a range of play styles within the narrative. That way, everyone gets a little bit of their favorite stuff, and hopefully also explores something outside their comfort zone, too. You're right that it's impossible to sustain broodiness indefinitely. I tend to be drawn to one-shots and mini-campaigns because of my preference for darkness, but maybe I should think about campaigns in the "tv episode" way that you described.

The question was spurred by a problem I had in which one player wanted to kind of min-max a character and be more of a cartoon, and another player resented that choice. I'm really uncomfortable when players criticize each other's choices, so this is an overall gaming challenge I feel I need to work on.

I'm flattered at the invitation to contribute regularly. I'll put my thinking cap on and maybe toss out some ideas. If you're looking for Monograph reviews, I'd be up for covering Secrets of Tibet.

Thanks again!

Chad Out of Space
Another fine podcast boys,speaking of Cthulhu Dark,I was looking at RPPR Actual Play website a little while ago and I found this

Hope Murph makes it back for the next one...not that number 7 was lacking..... ;)

Yeah, I liked the RPPR AP for Cthulhu Dark, but they went a little far in the comedy direction for my taste. One of the optional rules of the game is that if anyone at the table thinks it would be "more interesting" for any of the characters to fail their action, they can roll to dictate how it happens. I think this rule is brilliant, but it encouraged some silliness with this particular group -- and perhaps that is the most likely effect of such a mechanic.

In fact, it might be how RPPR's "Killsplosion" Kickstarter PVP RPG idea originally took hold....

JonHook
I'm flattered at the invitation to contribute regularly. I'll put my thinking cap on and maybe toss out some ideas. If you're looking for Monograph reviews, I'd be up for covering Secrets of Tibet.

Excellent idea. I can't wait to hear your review. :)

HomoLupusDomesticus

I'm about 3/4 into episode 7 and it's been another great listen so far. Perhaps in a future episode you could also address the issues some people have with parts of the rules and go into some of the commonly enountered alternatives either adapted from other games or house rulings.