Tony Williams

ToC Resource PDFs - Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu & Enchiridion of Elucidation

Heron

I downloaded this guide from the link three posts up and also the one that is now on the Pelgrane Press site. And I was wondering what differs between them. Because the file that you link to three posts up is almost double the filesize then the one on the Pelgrane Press site. But they both seem to be the 3.0 version.

Anyway, thanks for this guide Tony. :-)

Tony Williams

I think you've probably got v3.1 from my OneDrive there.

It just fixes an issue with the cover blurb and I changed the text "player characters" to "investigators" a bit throughout. Nothing different about actual rules etc.

Heron

I checked and it was almost a week since I downloaded the file from your link above, and it was marked as the 3.0 version. And its filesize is almost twice as big as the version 3.0 file that Pelgrane Press has (5,6MB vs 3,1MB).

But I downloaded the new 3.1 version from your link and compared all three files, and the only differences I found in the new 3.1 version, is that the "3D-effect" on the bottom text on the front cover is corrected. But the one and only textual difference I found is a small change on page 14, under the headline "Version 1", in the first sentence of the second paragraph, "When that happens roll the die again...". So no "player characters", "investigators" or similar had been changed.

So that made me wonder if there is an even newer version of the file? :-)

Tony Williams

You probably got some working version between versions ( I use my OneDrive to backup the "in progress" beta version ).

I haven't really released v3.1 into the wild yet but when I do it will just be cosmetic tweaks rather than new stuff.

The file size difference may come from me compressing the PDF before I send it to Pelgrane Press for their site. Which I sometimes forget to do.

Heron

Sorry Tony, english is not my first language. So I'm not sure that I understand you correctly.

But as I said earlier, I have just downloaded the file from your link above, and it is marked as a 3.1 version. Have I then understood you correctly that you mean that that file is not the fully updated 3.1 version yet?

And if so, any idea when you will release the final 3.1 version? And will you announce it here in this forum then? :-)

Tony Williams

But as I said earlier, I have just downloaded the file from your link above, and it is marked as a 3.1 version. Have I then understood you correctly that you mean that that file is not the fully updated 3.1 version yet?

You understand correctly.

Yes I will announce the v3.1 release here ( but the changes will be cosmetic, not new rules ).

It will probably be in 7 days or so.

Heron

Okay, got it. I'll just wait with printing out the guide until then.

Thanks Tony. :-)

Tony Williams

The Enchiridion of Elucidation

Version 3.1 official release (check document version number on page 36 ):

Mostly just formatting fixes apart from pages 4-5 and 22-23 which get rewrites ( I think I've really nailed down what needs to be said there now regarding clue-giving ). No actual new sections or rules.

Download them from the ToC Resource page at the Pelgrane Press web site.

Tony Williams

The Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu

Version 6.4 released ( check document version on page 24 ).

Download them from the ToC Resource page at the Pelgrane Press web site.

Changes:

All mention of "Special Benefits" is renamed to just "Benefits".

Extra paragraph added on pg. 23 about Benefits.

The order of Contests ( pg. 9 ) and the order of mass combat ( pg. 11 ) has had a minor rewording/tweaking ( this is the official GUMSHOE rule for all games going forward starting with the upcoming Fear Itself 2nd Edition - it's the same rule as for current edition NBA ).

Tony Williams

Enchiridion of Elucidation

Version 3.2 official release.

Because of comments in this thread: http://www.yog-sothoth.com/topic/30193-about-clues-and-point-spends/

Pages 2 and 21 have been amended somewhat to explain the subdivision of non-core clues into Zero-Point Clues and Point-Spend Clues after the publication of the main rulebook. Also some blah has been added to try to explain the difference between what they are used for.

Also Zero-Point Clues were being called Zero Spend Clues in previous editions of the Enchiridion ( Zero-Point is the correct GUMSHOE terminology ).

Also any reference to Supplementary Clues has been removed as this is not an "official" GUMSHOE nomenclature and was confusing some readers.

Download from the links in my signature below...

and

Version 6.5 official release.

Because of comments in this thread: http://www.yog-sothoth.com/topic/30193-about-clues-and-point-spends/

Pages 22 and 24 have been amended somewhat to explain the subdivision of non-core clues into Zero-Point Clues and Point-Spend Clues after the publication of the main rulebook.

Also Zero-Point Clues were being called Zero Spend Clues in previous editions of the Condensed Rules ( Zero-Point is the correct GUMSHOE terminology ).

Also the wording under Benefits on page 23 has been slightly rewritten.

Tony Williams

Version 3.3 official release.

No changes or additions to actual rules.

Several minor text rewrites to correct grammar, punctuation or make sentences scan more easily.

Download from the link in my signature below...

Tony Williams

Version 6.6 official release.

The subsection Psychological Triage on pages 19/20 has been given a slight re-write to clarify the process.

Tony Williams

Version 6.7 official release.

The following sections have been given a rewrite to fix or clarify rules:

Automatic Firearms (page 14)

Inured or Susceptible to Stability Tests (penultimate paragraph of page 17)

Confidence Roll (page 20)

Denying the Mythos (page 20)

Temporary Psychological Triage (page 22)

Keep watching this thread for a possible (if Pelgrane gives the thumbs-up) new product. Non-Core Clue: "Can 16 become 7?"

numtini

Last December I started a TOC game despite never having played in one before. I cannot express how much these tools help run a game. Thank you! Wish we could get something like this for NBA. 

Tony Williams

I think I'd have a nervous breakdown trying to do one for NBA - there's so much more crunch.

numtini

Is this a fan production or an official Pelgrane or a hybrid?

(Great timing! The copy machine cop is out of the office, so I have nice stapled color copies!)

FreddieF

Thanks for the update, Tony. Downloaded just now.

Tony Williams

Is this a fan production or an official Pelgrane or a hybrid?

Well they are all fan productions (me) but I donate them to Pelgrane for their ToC Resource pages as I wouldn't want them out in the "wild" if Pelgrane weren't happy.

Tony Williams

Version 6.8 official release.

Apologies to those who have already printed v6.7 out but I forgot to make a small amendment to the Automatic Firearms rule (page 14) yesterday. It's not earth-shattering so I think you will be happy with a printed v6.7.

Tony Williams

Version 6.9 official release.

Fix to "Fleeing from Combat" on page 12 - the test can be against Athletics or Fleeing.

Also updated with new Pelgrane Press logo on covers and Credits page.

Tony Williams

Version 7.0 official release.

Managed to squeeze some more vehicle rules into page 15 first column and page 23 call-out box.

Heron

In the latest version (7.0) of The Condensed Rules, on page 15, in the second paragraph under Vehicles Under Fires, â€engine block†and â€fuel tank†seem to have swapped places for some reason. This was correct in version 6.9.

What happened to that new document that you released? Was gonna download it, but you had then removed it.

Thanks Tony.

Tony Williams

Good call - the engine block and fuel tank armour numbers are fixed now. Re-download for correct PDF.

The new document is only going to be allowed to be hosted on the Pelgrane Press website - I'll post in this thread when they have it up. I think everyone who likes the Condensed Rules PDF will find it exciting/useful.

Tony Williams

Version 7.1 official release.

Minor wording re-writes for rule clarifications

Page 17 - bottom of middle column - First Aid - better wording

Page 19 - middle column - Shaken ( investigative spend when shaken is optional rule not definite as per NBA )

Page 20 - Denying the Mythos - denial improves Sanity pool points as well as rating

Page 21 - False Sanity procedure - the 3 successful sessions must be contiguous ( not just consecutive ) and Sanity pool points are restored not just rating.

( Generally, in those situations there Sanity rating is affected up or down an equivalent bump or dip in pool points happens too. The converse is not the case i.e. if just Sanity pool points are affected then rating is not automatically affected too. )

Tony Williams

Version 3.4 official release.

No changes or additions to anything of relevance to playing the game.

Updated Pelgrane Press logos.

Updated copyrights and credits.

Fixed a broken external weblink.