Tony Williams

ToC Resource PDFs - Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu & Enchiridion of Elucidation

FreddieF

Cheers for all the work you've put into this, Tony. A really handy document and beautifully laid out. How did you manage to set it up in the style of Pelgrane's Trail of Cthulhu publications?

Tony Williams

How did you manage to set it up in the style of Pelgrane's Trail of Cthulhu publications?

Start with a page of the real rulebook and steal from there...

If you load the PDF of the rulebook into LibreOffice Draw you can then hack it around, copy bits you need, delete bits you don't and so on and so on.

I used a combination of LibreOffice Draw and a commercial program called Foxit Advanced PDF Editor to get the PDF to how I wanted it.

I wouldn't have gotten away with it if Pelgrane weren't on board though. I've donated it to them because, basically, it's their game, their layout and their art so I could hardly put it on the internet if they weren't happy.

FreddieF

Thanks for this, Tony. I wonder if I can achieve the same things using Photoshop and InDesign - I'm writing up a scenario that Cat has agreed to host on the Trail resources pages and it would be nice to have it fit in with their style. Obviously, I'll have to contact Pelgrane about it.

Tony Williams

I've only ever had access to InDesign once for a few hours, but it looked like overkill for what you might need to do. But if you know your way around it then maybe that will be good for you.

I only needed a graphics package to resize and crop artwork from the rulebook so GIMP was good enough for that. But if you are making your own scenario then I presume you will need more from the graphics package. You can't get more featured than Photoshop.

I'd suggest loading my Condensed Rules into LibreOffice Draw ( the title is misleading - it is more like a page layout programme than a Drawing programme ) and messing around with it in there to get used to everything. It's pretty easy to understand - every item on the page has it's own x,y start position and x,y width, height. Click an item and then right click for properties and you'll see how everything works. Each item also has its own layer depth for moving in front or behind things on the page. That's all there is to it really.

I used the Foxit Advanced PDF Editor programme for editing text in the text boxes as that behaves better in that respect than LibreOffice Draw does when it comes to more than a few words ( i.e. you can control line and paragraph spacing, tabs and indents better in Foxit than LibreOffice Draw ).

FreddieF

Thanks for all the advice. I'll have a play around with it this weekend, in between writing up and finishing of the research for this scenario.

bomberclaad

Hi Tony! Many thanks for your condensed rules, they are beautifully put together and an invaluable help for starting out with ToC.

I'm toying with the idea of making my own version of what I think should be on a ToC Keeper screen which might fit the criteria.

This sounds very interesting, I'm working on one as well. I followed your instructions regarding the pdf tools but didn't have the fonts, so I extracted them with the mupdf tool. Only problem is some of the fonts can't be imported (on windows 8, says invalid font file). I tried downloading some free versions, but it doesn't look like yours when opening in LibreOffice Draw.

How did you do with the fonts when you started out with the real rulebook?

Tony Williams

To anyone who uses the Condensed Rules please consider filling out this poll thread -> link

rylehNC

You should check with Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan about adding the Correspondence ability.

Tony Williams

Pelgrane Press are hosting a booklet of help I've put together to explain "how to play" Trail ( advice for both Keepers and Investigators ).

Stuff like answering common questions, explicit advice on how the GUMSHOE clue-giving process works at the table, some house rules and a bit more.

Most of the stuff is pulled from Pelgrane's Page XX articles, useful posts here on Yoggy and my own musings, but now it can be found all in one place instead of hunting all over the inter-ma-web.

Click here and then look for the Enchiridion of Elucidation link.

Between this and the previous Condensed Rules for Trail of Cthulhu booklet I think they should cover most questions about playing the game.

The Enchiridion of Elucidation can be a living document so if anyone thinks it should cover a particular topic then shout out.

ragr

Great stuff, Tony. I'll certainly have a mosey when there's a spare moment or two.

Zed Lopez

This looks great, Tony -- thanks!

rylehNC

@rylehNC - see here

Fantastic, thanks for devoting your time & skill!

Yrvi

You are just continuing to deliver the goods aren't you Mr Williams. Thanks!

Tony Williams

I aim to please...

kolgrim

That is a fantastic resource. Thank you. I had a nice chuckle with the example of the Keeper's response to the use of the Craft skill.

Tony Williams

I had a nice chuckle with the example of the Keeper's response to the use of the Craft skill.

I can't take credit for that - it's Gareth's joke, I just amped the humour up with some editing.

@Paul - thanks for the frontpage hype.

P.S. don't forget people can suggest ideas to add to the document ( already there is a call to add some new Drives ).

Tony Williams

Ok, never say never...

The Condensed Rules PDF has had an update on page 17 to make a clarification about Consciousness Tests.

I've decided to give it a version number now, to make identifying the latest version easier. The version is printed on the last internal page on the bottom corner. This latest version is v6.1 ( don't ask ).

Download from the Pelgrane Press ToC Resources Page

Tony Williams

The Enchiridion of Elucidation

New version 2.2 ( the version number is printed on bottom corner of the last internal page ).

It's had a big facelift.

And new bits added:

1. New Drives
  2. Clarification about Consciousness Tests
  3. NPCs Reneging on Deals

Downloadable from the Pelgrane Press ToC resource page

Laraqua

Now we just need New Professions!  There's *so* many others that could work.  And yes, assigning abilities isn't too hard but the special occupational perks are a bit trickier.  :)

Taavi

It's not very clear to me what parts are "official" Trail of Cthulhu rules/terminology/guidelines and what parts are your own terminology/house rules/etc. THis could be an issue if, for example, it was given to new players as a guide.

Tony Williams

Well, "House Rule" is used to flag a rule change/addition that is not described in the rulebook ( but even the source of some of those is the Pelgrane Press website, usually See Page XX articles ).

Those marked without "House Rule" are not really dealing with rules, more play advice or style which doesn't really fall under 'official' nor 'unofficial'.

The new drives are as official as you deem them to be - they mostly come from Pelgrane Press products or their website or staff.

All the sources for every section are given at the back of the PDF for you to make an informed judgement about how 'valid' you think anything is.

FreddieF

Tony, the Enchiridion link is broken on Pelgrane's website.

FreddieF

Brilliant. Cheers!

Tony Williams

The Enchiridion of Elucidation

New version 3.0 available from the link two posts up ( until Pelgrane Press get the website link fixed ).

No actual changes to content; just punctuation tweaks, an extra credit, and reformatted to US Letter size to match other ToC publications.