Sign in to follow this  
trevlix

Upcoming from Chaosium

Mograg

I hope that we see many excellent titles from Chaosium, Miskatonic River Press, Sixtystone, Pagan Publishing, Super Genius Games, Cubicle 7, Goodman Games and the other companies in 2012 and forward. Call of Cthulhu is my favorite game, and so it is exciting when companies have plans to expand on the great old game.

Cheers,

- Brian C.

David_Conyers
last ever? oh?

Writing and editing fiction these days, and enjoy that a lot more :)

dce
But... there's already a scenario called The Art of Madness. It's by Terry White, 1987, and is available on this very site - I played it a while back. Good research there, Chaosium.

Umm ... I'm sure that's true, but (by my count anyway) there are now well over 700 professionally-published scenarios for CoC -- not even including obscure pseudo-home-grown things like the Terry White scenarios alluded to here. If people are going to come down hard on companies or authors for "name collisions" like this ... well, we're going to start getting some pretty obscurely named scenarios popping up :-)

Dean (from Adelaide)

Shimmin Beg
If people are going to come down hard on companies or authors for "name collisions" like this ... well, we're going to start getting some pretty obscurely named scenarios popping up :-)

Dean (from Adelaide)

I'm not saying they should be hanged or commit sepukku :) But it does seem unnecessary and potentially confusing. Given they renamed the Corbitt scenario as "The Haunting" precisely to avoid confusion, it seems like they do appreciate the awkwardness of two scenarios with the same name. Googling "Cthulhu" and "art of madness" brings up White's scenario immediately, so it's not especially difficult to check; and to be honest I would actually expect a professional publisher to check scenario listings on major fansites like YSDC.

Also, I am totally in favour of obscurely-named scenarios. In fact, obscurely-named things in general.

trevlix
If people are going to come down hard on companies or authors for "name collisions" like this ... well, we're going to start getting some pretty obscurely named scenarios popping up :-)

I suggest we impose a ruling that henceforth any Call of Cthulhu scenario must use the following generator to create its name: http://www.wyrmworld.com/interactive/lovecraft/lovecraft.html

Seconded?

:)

Shimmin Beg

Works for me.

The other fun possibility it suggests is a scenario competition - generate a one-page seed to fit a random title.

StuartB
I suggest we impose a ruling that henceforth any Call of Cthulhu scenario must use the following generator to create its name: http://www.wyrmworld.com/interactive/lovecraft/lovecraft.html

Seconded?

:)

With the generator spouting things like "THAT QUIESCENT PUDDING..." who am I to disagree? ;)

dce
I'm not saying they should be hanged or commit sepukku :) But it does seem unnecessary and potentially confusing. Given they renamed the Corbitt scenario as "The Haunting" precisely to avoid confusion, it seems like they do appreciate the awkwardness of two scenarios with the same name. Googling "Cthulhu" and "art of madness" brings up White's scenario immediately, so it's not especially difficult to check; and to be honest I would actually expect a professional publisher to check scenario listings on major fansites like YSDC.

Also, I am totally in favour of obscurely-named scenarios. In fact, obscurely-named things in general.

Hmm ... well, I'm all in favour of publishers trying to avoid names being re-used -- I just think that as the number of published scenarios grows, it's inevitable that things will slip through the cracks. Yes, I like the fact that someone at Chaosium decided to rename the Corbitt scenario so that it wouldn't be confusing ... but that's only one of four "near-collisions" that have occurred in published scenarios (the other three are around "The Madman", "Shadow Over Hollywood" and "Murder of Crows").

Face it ... it's gonna happen. Eventually. (though it'd be nice if authors tried to keep thing straight ... and personally, I doubt if it's the kind of thing that professional publishers --Chaosium or anyone else -- would even check).

Dean (from Adelaide ... author of the upcoming "Doom that came to Zarntrhrax'q'rlyeh" :-))

StuartB
"Doom that came to Zarntrhrax'q'rlyeh"
:D

Soon to be followed by "Beyond the Mounds of Mania", "Escape from Weymouth", and "The Masks of Narcolepsy", no doubt.

Cthimothy
:D

Soon to be followed by "Beyond the Mounds of Mania", "Escape from Weymouth", and "The Masks of Narcolepsy", no doubt.

Have you ever been to Weymouth? The title is not as far-fetched as you might think :)

Myrddin

While the list as a whole might be somewhat ambitious, especially for Chaosium, they seem to be chugging along. Not CoC, but they announced the Magic World product this morning. http://www.chaosium.com/article.php?story_id=508

SDLeary

The_Tatterdemalion_King

What is the cash flow issue with Chaosium, exactly? I've heard it blamed on Mythos, the card game, but other than that...

Pookie
Have you ever been to Weymouth? The title is not as far-fetched as you might think :)

Almost every Summer as far as my sister is concerned, and this Summer in particular.

Pookie
What is the cash flow issue with Chaosium, exactly? I've heard it blamed on Mythos, the card game, but other than that...

Shannon Appelcline has written a history of Chaosium that you can read here.

KRoss

In answer to Ye Tatterdemallion King, the Mythos card game was one of the earliest, most serious of money problems for Chaosium. What Shannon Appelcline's history article doesn't quite say is that when the Mythos card game took off, Chaosium nearly TRIPLED the size of their staff. OK, great, we've got all this money coming in (and going out), and we have this huge staff, so things are really hopping now!

Except they didn't. Despite the increase in staff, there was NO increase whatsoever in output.

As for what the problem is now, I can only speculate. I was only guessing that there was a money problem, given that I wasn't being paid, and having heard that they were having trouble coming up with money to print books. This is a serious problem when your core rulebook is out of print, you're gearing up for Gaslight, and now Malleus Monstrorum is also OOP. Now that I hear something like Jeff Moeller not being paid for a book, and bearing in mind the print versions of some of the contest monographs are still MIA, I'm guessing there really is a serious money problem. (This, I point out, in spite of the fact that they did numerous reprints last year. Many of those products should have required little money being spent other than printing and layout, since they were old enough to be mostly work for hire. So where did the money they should have made there go?)

What it boils down to is this, quite simply: Chaosium have never been very smart when it comes to handling money. They repeatedly make bad business decisions, whether it's with actual money, or with firing Keith Herber, or what have you.

Again, I feel like a fool for having hoped for better things when I was defending them last summer. I forgot who I was dealing with, even having watched them struggle in the mire for over 20 years.

KAR

StephanieMcAlea

I have it on reasonable authority from someone who had worked with them closely that they cleared the debt arising from the Mythos CCG issue last summer. I have to keep the source anon for their own interests.

The_Tatterdemalion_King

What would be involved in actually getting a look at Chaosium's finances? How much is the rights to the Call of Cthulhu brand worth, do you think?

KRoss
What would be involved in actually getting a look at Chaosium's finances? How much is the rights to the Call of Cthulhu brand worth, do you think?

I haven't the foggiest of ideas for answers to either of your questions. I'd recommend just letting Chaosium wriggle in the mire and putting your faith in the remaining licensees instead. And if there are any licensees out there looking for an old gunhand, I know where there might be one with a little life left in him.

KAR

wombat1

Most of the titles on the list seem straight forward enough. But what is 'Canis Mysterium.' I am no particular expert, but this is the first time I have seen a reference to this.

StephanieMcAlea

'Dog mysteries'?

Kevin, you could do worse that trying Angus Abranson's Chronicle City or Cubicle7.

Badger

On a purely biased and personal issue, that sci-fi novel mentioned in the list, "A Long Way Home", was written by my dad. Once it's out, i'd be very grateful if it got some love from some of you Yoggies out there. :)

-=b

PhoneCallOfCthulhu
On a purely biased and personal issue, that sci-fi novel mentioned in the list, "A Long Way Home", was written by my dad. Once it's out, i'd be very grateful if it got some love from some of you Yoggies out there. :)

-=b

What kind of sci-fi is it?

wombat1
'Dog mysteries'?

Yes, I can translate the Latin tolerably well, got that part figured out. But among the mysteries is, what exactly IS it?

wombat1
.... putting your faith in the remaining licensees instead. ... I know where there might be one with a little life left in him.

What exactly does it take to get a license from Chaosium--the job printers in Ames, Iowa aren't terribly expensive and can match what we are seeing for quality from the current publications. And while e-printing is open to fraud, it doesn't seem to require a high start up cost either.

Taavi

Given the number of people wandering around saying "Chaosium owes me money", I'm suprised they haven't formed a class action and taken the company over. It would seem the simplest solution.