Sign in to follow this  
trevlix

Upcoming from Chaosium

Naked Samurai

Atomic Age Cthulhu -- COC Adventure Collection

This popped out at me. Cold War Cthulhu has a lot of promise.

StephanieMcAlea

if they're all full books then cool, If most of them are monographs, no thanks. Also, id read 2012 as 2012-2013.

nclarke

Steff, Lower down the page it does say "Additionally, we have many, many monographs in the works." implying that the listed works are not monographs.

Nigel

JonHook

I'm excited for the Atomic Cthulhu, the CoC adventures, and the BRP pulp stuff.

Agent_Bluescale

"Shan Campaign"?! I would be all for that! I always enjoyed those crazy crazy insects from Shaggai.

StephanieMcAlea
Steff, Lower down the page it does say "Additionally, we have many, many monographs in the works." implying that the listed works are not monographs.

Nigel

Yep. Saw that. Will wait and see. They've done this before.

LoneKharnivore
Yep. Saw that. Will wait and see. They've done this before.

Oh, you jaded old b*gger :P

dce

A few of these upcoming products have been (unofficially) announced previously in various threads here on YSDC. There's a page on the CthulhuWiki (with many sparsely-populated product sub-pages) which tries to collate all the "intel" on what's in the works, not just by Chaosium but by all the licensees. There's lots of intriguing stuff being worked on ...

Dean (from Adelaide)

KRoss

They get more than 5 of those out (even giving them the 1st 2, which are already out in PDF) and I'll be absolutely dumbfounded. From what I can see at the moment, they have no money. Or, as I like to call it, business as usual for Chaosium.

Frankly, I think Steff's estimate of this being a release schedule for 2012-2013 is being unbelievably optimistic.

KAR

StephanieMcAlea

Yep. Jaded old bugger. Or Buddha. Both work.

While they HAVE paid me correctly and on time (well ok, a little lagging behind) for any maps I've done for them, I know a few who haven't been paid. This has led to hardship for some, no joke. I'd more impressed if it was a list of people they have finally paid than a list of titles.

KRoss

Huh. Being paid by Chaosium. What must that be like? he ponders....

Pookie
They get more than 5 of those out (even giving them the 1st 2, which are already out in PDF) and I'll be absolutely dumbfounded. From what I can see at the moment, they have no money. Or, as I like to call it, business as usual for Chaosium.

Frankly, I think Steff's estimate of this being a release schedule for 2012-2013 is being unbelievably optimistic.

KAR

I have to agree with you, but right now, I would be surprised if Chaosium got more than one of those titles out this year, let alone on schedule going on its record in 2011. Yes, Chaosium published more than a single title in 2011, but only one of them was a new title and not a reprint, and even then that title was material not used in a book published in 2009.

Every other title for Call of Cthulhu in 2011 was a reprint.

KRoss
I have to agree with you, but right now, I would be surprised if Chaosium got more than one of those titles out this year, let alone on schedule going on its record in 2011. Yes, Chaosium published more than a single title in 2011, but only one of them was a new title and not a reprint, and even then that title was material not used in a book published in 2009.

Every other title for Call of Cthulhu in 2011 was a reprint.

Hey Pookie, refresh my memory: what all did they publish in 2011? I can only vaguely remember a few monos... and even then they didn't get out dead tree copies of some of the contest monos -- right?

Pookie
Hey Pookie, refresh my memory: what all did they publish in 2011? I can only vaguely remember a few monos... and even then they didn't get out dead tree copies of some of the contest monos -- right?

RPG.net lists the hardcover version of the current rules, which would be the disappointing thirtieth anniversary edition; H.P. Lovecraft's Dreamlands; and Cthulhu Invictus Companion, the only title with any "new" material.

I have the feeling that many of the titles that are listed as having been released in 2010, actually came out in 2011, but that could easily be my memory playing tricks. Or that the releases in 2010 were memorable for less than positive reasons and have stuck in the memory, of which I would suggest, Call of Cthulhu Keeper's Screen is only a highlight.

KRoss

OK, I just did a quick scan through Chaosium's news articles for last year, and came up with:

Keeper's Screen (reprint)

Invictus Companion (NEW!!!!!!!!!)

BRP hardcover (reprint)

Eldritch Evolutions (fiction)

Curse of the Chthonians (reprint)

CoC 30th Ann Ed (reprint)

BRP Magic (reprint?)

Dreamlands (reprint -- but 2011 or 2012?)

Yeah, I'd say that new 2012 schedule is VERY optimistic.

LoneKharnivore

Ow, my youthful enthusiasm :)

MikeM

Cheer up chaps, its the gaming industry.

Plus, as the world's ending in December, a few books released will be all we need!

; )

StephanieMcAlea

MRP has (i think) the same number of staff and far less of a budget than Chaosium, and they still put out more new content than Chaosium.

On the other hand, maybe the Ol' Wyvern knows more than we do... maybe something has happened to turn it around! :)

(wow. these drugs really work)

sda

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the one obvious thing missing from the "schedule" -- where's CoC 7?

Mysterioso

If Chaosium needs money, why doesn't it release all its fiction collections for the Kindle and the Nook? OOP collections go for ridiculous sums in the used book market. E-books would bring in money for them, rather than used book sellers, which could be put towards new projects

malcojones

I can vouch for the fact that House of R'lyeh is in production, and far enough on that it could - in theory - come out before the end of the year.

This is barring delays, and things have gone quiet on that front over the past fortnight.

Cold War Cthulhu went through this exciting stage last year but hasn't reached us yet.

We can only hope.

Best, malcojones

neorxnawang

Chaosium simply does not have its act together. Thanks for the kind words about my last book (and I do mean last) for them, Bret. There simply aren't many (any)? full time employees, and its difficult to attract freelancers when they have a nasty habit of not paying, which they've fallen back into at least from my vantage point. I didn't get paid (as in, totally stiffed) on my last (and I do mean last) book for them and every rhetorical device I could think of has failed. They're just totally ignoring me. I have no insight and have given up trying to figure it out. I'm only writing for licensees from now on.