Sign in to follow this  
Pookie

The Enemy Within Returns!

Pookie

If you are British and roleplayed in the 1980s and 1990s, then the likelihood is that you will have come across Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, arguably Games Workshop's answer to Dungeons & Dragons. Its heavy mix of magic, chaos, peril, and grime made it a favourite with many, and with the release of The Enemy Within, the game received a campaign that many have argued to be equal to that of Masks of Nyarlathotep. Only released for the game's first edition, FFG has just announced the return of The Enemy Within, which it describes as "...a brand new story drawn from the themes and concepts of the original."

I am a big fan of the original. I genuinely think that the Bradford Players could easily play through the original and it be enjoyed by fans of Call of Cthulhu as it certainly veers towards being Lovecraftian.

TheHistorian

All true, but this new "version" is for WFRP 3E, which is sort of... meh.

Cole

Not British, but a WFRP fan in the '80s who enjoys 3e. Very excited to see this. Especially, because it's new material inspired by the old instead of just a rehash updated for 3e.

I converted Shadows to 3e and ran it for two different groups that are now hooked on WFRP. High hopes for this one.

Pookie
TheHistorian said:
All true, but this new "version" is for WFRP 3E, which is sort of... meh.

Opinions vary of course. I have to say that I rather enjoyed it when we played. It took some adjustment upon our part to work with the cards and the dice, but The Gathering Storm was a fun campaign to play through.

Oh, and Graeme Davis has said that it is possible to adapt the scenario to the earlier editions of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay if you so choose. Anyway, he has a post about the new version on his website.

justadame

I quite liked Warhammers tabletop battle rules (first one in white box), but each new edition seems to be a reinvention with new ways of doing things. The WFRP that followed was good and I do have the Enemy Within on my shelf !

I liked the ending of the Empire in flames, which was changed in the Black Library version, which I collected quite a bit of, but I didn't like the Rolemasteresque spell lists !

The stronger Wizards and Necromancers of the box set were better in my opinion, the winds of magic stuff didn't work for me.

And they never really created Wizard Artificers as a career !

Oh well all good fun ! (Not seen new version of Warhammer, fiscally knackered, to use a common Economists phrase of the 21st century).

csmithadair

A friend of mine bought the first part of the campaign (the eponymously titled The Enemy Within) when it first hit the shelves in San Diego. We only ever played that and Shadows Over Bogenhafen back then, but played quite a bit of the game in general over the years. In 1990, another friend started up a TEW campaign that lasted one session, just enough time to complete "Mistaken Identity." My own TEW campaign in the early 90s was aborted after one session (again, enough time to complete "Mistaken Identity") due to scheduling conflicts. I finally ran the campaign during and after playtesting the second edition of the rules; I had planned to take the campaign somewhere else entirely after Power Behind the Throne, but the party was destroyed during the climax of that scenario, so I didn't need to after all.

Frankly, while it is a much beloved campaign, I do think it is an uneven one. I'm intrigued by a new version, especially one released in its entirety, and even more so one that Graeme Davis is involved with. I ultimately think it is for the best that it is a new campaign in the style of the original rather than an update.

Pookie
A friend of mine bought the first part of the campaign (the eponymously titled The Enemy Within) when it first hit the shelves in San Diego. We only ever played that and Shadows Over Bogenhafen back then, but played quite a bit of the game in general over the years. In 1990, another friend started up a TEW campaign that lasted one session, just enough time to complete "Mistaken Identity." My own TEW campaign in the early 90s was aborted after one session (again, enough time to complete "Mistaken Identity") due to scheduling conflicts. I finally ran the campaign during and after playtesting the second edition of the rules; I had planned to take the campaign somewhere else entirely after Power Behind the Throne, but the party was destroyed during the climax of that scenario, so I didn't need to after all.

Frankly, while it is a much beloved campaign, I do think it is an uneven one. I'm intrigued by a new version, especially one released in its entirety, and even more so one that Graeme Davis is involved with. I ultimately think it is for the best that it is a new campaign in the style of the original rather than an update.

Although I would certainly love to see an update, you are probably correct. Having got some Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay III experience under our belt, we will probably have another go with the release of The Enemy Within.

As to the original campaign, it is very uneven, especially in the fourth and fifth parts. The preceding three parts are superb though. I would like the opportunity to play them again at some point.

justadame

Actually, they would really have to go some to beat the quality of the Death on the Reik box set. I loved the fold out castle map !

Anyway Morrsleib has spat upon the face of the Empire again, will they find the Warpstone or is this just the beginning of another cheesy '80's style Zombie film ?

WiseWolf

Is this for the FFG Wargammer books or just Workshop's?

Pookie
Is this for the FFG Wargammer books or just Workshop's?

I am confused by your question. All I can say is that the new The Enemy Within is published for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, the roleplaying game published under license by Fantasy Flight Games. I do hope that this answers your question.

WiseWolf

It does so you were not that confused after all. I thought Game Workshop was going to release this under their flag.

Butters

Thanks for the information Pookie The Enemy Within was what got me into roleplaying in the first place so its great to hear that F.F.G is bringing it back for 3e.

Especially since when I played it the campaign ended at Castle Wittgenstein so I never did find out how it all turns out.

LoneKharnivore
I never did find out how it all turns out.

Rocks fall, everyone dies :)

Pookie
Thanks for the information Pookie The Enemy Within was what got me into roleplaying in the first place so its great to hear that F.F.G is bringing it back for 3e.

Especially since when I played it the campaign ended at Castle Wittgenstein so I never did find out how it all turns out.

Well, to really find out what happened, you needed to play through Empire in Flames, the last part. This new edition is not an adaptation, but a re-interpretation of its themes and ideas.

Butters
Rocks fall, everyone dies :)

Lol at least that makes a change from disease or mutation. ;)

TheHistorian
Opinions vary of course. I have to say that I rather enjoyed it when we played. It took some adjustment upon our part to work with the cards and the dice, but The Gathering Storm was a fun campaign to play through.

I'm a huge WFRP fan - I even just shelled out some $$$ to finish my Warpstone collection! 2E is both better and worse than 1E, and there is strong cross-adaptability... but 3E is something else, in my mind. It might be fun, but it's not an RPG; wonky dice and cards and all that - it's a boardgame.

Pookie
I'm a huge WFRP fan - I even just shelled out some $$$ to finish my Warpstone collection! 2E is both better and worse than 1E, and there is strong cross-adaptability... but 3E is something else, in my mind. It might be fun, but it's not an RPG; wonky dice and cards and all that - it's a boardgame.

Having played the game, in particular, The Gathering Storm campaign, our experience was anything but that of a board game. For starters, there was no board involved. The dice are anything, but wonky, but themed heavily to the setting, as are the mechanics. The cards provide a wealth of options and ideas that spur the players' imaginations.

It is a roleplaying game. It might not look like a roleplaying game because of the abundant number of cards and cardboard counters. Indeed, these might make it look like a board game. It is, nevertheless, a roleplaying game.

ash

I'm prepping a group for Power behind the Throne for next year. We will play through 12 sessions, once a month and Im going to sandbox and spice up the adventure with a bit more action. That's 2nd edition rules with 1st ed scenario. Some of the players have played as far as Wittgenstein in the 3rd part.

I was wondering if it would be possible to play 3rd ed rules with 1st ed ENW? Or would that be a major headache.

I tried 3rd ed rules with some players as a one shot and although the dice and cards were novel it did turn a bit wooden and clunky for the players. They found the dynamic more interesting than 1st and 2nd ed when we played Lichemaster last year but they seemed a bit miffed about how everything worked. As a Gm it took me a few reads of the rules to get it set in my head and I haven't played it since March so probably forgotten it now.

Anyone played the new version of ENW yet?

Pookie
I'm prepping a group for Power behind the Throne for next year. We will play through 12 sessions, once a month and Im going to sandbox and spice up the adventure with a bit more action. That's 2nd edition rules with 1st ed scenario. Some of the players have played as far as Wittgenstein in the 3rd part.

I was wondering if it would be possible to play 3rd ed rules with 1st ed ENW? Or would that be a major headache.

I tried 3rd ed rules with some players as a one shot and although the dice and cards were novel it did turn a bit wooden and clunky for the players. They found the dynamic more interesting than 1st and 2nd ed when we played Lichemaster last year but they seemed a bit miffed about how everything worked. As a Gm it took me a few reads of the rules to get it set in my head and I haven't played it since March so probably forgotten it now.

Anyone played the new version of ENW yet?

I have no idea whether it is even out...

Plus it is not an adaptation. Rather it is a thematic sequel of sorts for more advanced characters.

WiseWolf
I have no idea whether it is even out...

Plus it is not an adaptation. Rather it is a thematic sequel of sorts for more advanced characters.

I say we sit and wait until a formal review appears on Reviews from Rlyeh.

I am truly tempted to play Fantasy again using the Warhammer universe.

Pookie
I say we sit and wait until a formal review appears on Reviews from Rlyeh.

I am truly tempted to play Fantasy again using the Warhammer universe.

I have yet to review the core game, let alone the new version of The Enemy Within.

justadame

The tabletop box set was good fun, and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay was, but then the spell lists of the black library edition (too Rolemaster like) and apparently the latest one is meh. What I've seen of the latest well, looks aimed at the younger market, which is no bad thing in itself, but don't appeal much to me.

The Box Sets Necromancers had far better spells than any of the later books !

Bring on the Zombie Hobbits !

WiseWolf
I have yet to review the core game, let alone the new version of The Enemy Within.

There is no rush...we can wait, Pookie :)

Pookie
There is no rush...we can wait, Pookie :)

I am glad, because right now, I am too busy with editing to get any writing done!

csmithadair

I've played a few sessions of 3rd edition, and I've been enjoying it so far. It feels like the WFRP world, but it is certainly a different experience to the first two editions.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this