Sign in to follow this  
neilford

[Cthulhu Dark] Bubbles and Trouble scenario

neilford

Saw this on RPGNow and thought it might interest a few people:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=97647

You play as part of a crew returning to the underwater facility, the Nautilus Bio Sphere, only to find the NBS is completely abandoned. Now it’s up to you to discover the location of your missing crew and wrestle control away from what dark force that now hold the station.

It’s a horror/suspense setting that involves a lot of investigation but a little combat. This is a game set up for three to five people and was written for the Cthulhu Dark rule system.

Please Note: I have no connection to the writer/publisher, nor have I purchased a copy yet. I am posting this purely for information purposes.

- Neil.

ShadowDenizen

I'm a big fan of Grahams (LOVE the Cthulhu Apocalypse stuff!) and am intrigued by the Cthulhu Dark system. [i'm a proponent of rules-lite systems].

For the .99 price tag, I figured it was worth it to support the system, epsecially since the scenario itself sounds intriguing. (Some time ago, I ran the "Grace Under Pressure" scenario from pagan to excellent effect, and this seems to be in that same vein.)

Havent read it yet, however, but I'll post my impressions when I do.

WiseWolf

I am running this tomorrow. I read it and definitely it is worth the price. It's got a couple of things I will fix but overall looks like a really interesting one shot. I am using it with my non-rpgers friends so I will put CD at test as well. I will let you know how it goes.

Mysterioso

Wise Wolf: How did this go?

WiseWolf
Wise Wolf: How did this go?

I completaly forgot about posting. Really good. The scenario has issues , but are easy to solve. I believe that for a dollar, this gives you a lot of fun for an afternoon. It also has some art that really give the players an idea of where they are going. I will post more on the issues and how I solved them later tonight. Worth the money. Better to play with beginners and not very experimented players. Cthulhu Dark has a huge plus though.

WiseWolf

1- The shuttle could not go back to the surface until the next six hrs, it was automated. Forcing them to stay there and not go back as soon as they had the first encounter.

2- Some bubbles were only accessible through specific bubbles, therefore, they where forced to go to some important and cool parts of the scenario, otherwise they could just skip them al together and go to the end.

3- The scene with the sleepers I downgraded the letality, I had only three players and that could have been the end of it. I made one fo the sleepers infect one of my players, that worked really well and served paranoia and some cool roleplaying.

4- There was no communication with the surface once they where inside the facility, it was a top secret project so communication was off.

5- The end needed more drama, I added some lines to the handout of the girl because it just didn´t make sense in the way it was written. That´s my opinion only.

The scenarios has several pros, the pre-generated characters have some hidden agendas that really allow the game to be more dynamic and increase the sense of paranoia, which is really good.

It was a nice and short adventure, it took us some three hrs to finish it. It fits the Cthulhu Dark system really well.

Again, for the price, you won´t be dissapointed at all.

Mysterioso

Thanks! I got to play Cthulhu Dark over the weekend and remembered this list. I'd like to try running something with it myself as the system is so light I can be sure to remember everything with the story. I think I'd like to take a scenario specifcally written for CD out first.

How did your non-RPG friends take to the CD system?

WiseWolf

Extremely well. They got it in 10 minutes, they'd ask things like 'do I see...' or 'can I tell if he is lying to me?' instead of calling for a spot or psychology, but that is the idea of the system.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this