Yog-Sothothery Newsletter Read more... ×
rylehNC

Investigator Weapons in three volumes

rylehNC

Over on the DG yahoo list Hans-Christian Vortisch has mentioned that the first volume, for classic era weaponry, has been written, and a modern sourcebook is to follow. Anyone who has seen his work for GURPS and DG understands the cupidity I am feeling.

Is there any word on a release date?

Noble

Not what you're after, but if you can't wait for a modern version of a weapons listing try The Company if you want to know the rules for a HALO drop, or give your agents a pistol through to a ICBM, this is the book for you. Gun-Bunny's Ahoy!

Gil_Trevizo
Anyone who has seen his work for GURPS and DG understands the cupidity I am feeling.

I can happily say that you are right to feel such cupidity. Based on what I read in the rough drafts, the first volume is an incredible piece of work. It has massive amounts of useful information, answering a lot of questions that, in my experience (and I suspect with others as well, based on firearms-related discussions here), aren't fulfilled, not just by game books but by Internet research or even non-gaming books on firearms (at least not all but the really obscure ones). There is also a lot of work on combat rules (I really like how Hans handles suppressive fire). And the book is more than a resource for gunfondlers in that it gives Keepers a lot of information for them to realistically complicate their investigators easily acquiring, possessing, transporting, and lawfully using firearms. So there's a lot there for everyone, and it's not just a "list o' guns" book. I really feel it's going to be up there with must-buy supplements for Keepers like Dan Harms' The Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia, The 1920s Investigator Handbook, and the big yellow BRP book. I'm not as versed on the second volume, but I'd suspect that based on the quality of the first, it's also something special.

I don't know anything about release dates, but Sixtystone needs to get this one out ASAP. And Dan Harm's Yig book as well. And the Colonial Cthulhu books. And I want a pony. Where's my pony, dammit!

rylehNC

One of the things I have always enjoyed about Hans' work is that he will note the guns used in TV shows and movies.

Gil_Trevizo
One of the things I have always enjoyed about Hans' work is that he will note the guns used in TV shows and movies.

The Internet Movie Firearms Database is also pretty good for that. I've had quite some success also using that site to create PC and NPC images for character sheets and photo stands.

HANS
Over on the DG yahoo list Hans-Christian Vortisch has mentioned that the first volume, for classic era weaponry, has been written, and a modern sourcebook is to follow. Anyone who has seen his work for GURPS and DG understands the cupidity I am feeling.

Good to hear!

Is there any word on a release date?

INVESTIGATOR WEAPONS, the first volume for the classic era, is still in layout. Chris Huth is doing an absolutely awesome job. The basic layout is done, though, and I have seen a first version of the cover. It shouldn't be too long now . . .

Cheers

HANS

HANS

I love movies -- but primarily I do that because it can serve both as inspiration for what a character might be armed with and as illustration for how that looks, works, and sounds -- within reason, of course, as even the most realistic films and shows usually cannot really convey how damn loud the things are, how they shoot, and what happens if they hit. Still, a well-done film scene can show you more than you can describe in a few paragraphs.

Cheers

HANS

HANS
The Internet Movie Firearms Database is also pretty good for that. I've had quite some success also using that site to create PC and NPC images for character sheets and photo stands.

It is cool because of the screencaps and also some of the user-generated photographs, but their identification is less than error-free -- and don't get me started on their editorialization. It generally pays to watch the film in question yourself, if you're curious about the gun-useage in it.

Cheers

HANS

HANS
So there's a lot there for everyone, and it's not just a "list o' guns" book. I really feel it's going to be up there with must-buy supplements for Keepers . . .

Thanks! I hope so too. Note, however, that I specifially wrote the book in such a way that both players and Keepers can enjoy it (all the Mythos-related info is in an appendix, which the Keeper can easily withhold from the players). In fact, I heartily encourage players to read it. I put a lot of info in there specifically for the benefit of the investigators, such as how you actually operate specific guns, how you carry ammo, etc.

A pony, he wants. Tsk, tsk.

Cheers

HANS

Pookie
I can happily say that you are right to feel such cupidity. Based on what I read in the rough drafts, the first volume is an incredible piece of work. It has massive amounts of useful information, answering a lot of questions that, in my experience (and I suspect with others as well, based on firearms-related discussions here), aren't fulfilled, not just by game books but by Internet research or even non-gaming books on firearms (at least not all but the really obscure ones). There is also a lot of work on combat rules (I really like how Hans handles suppressive fire). And the book is more than a resource for gunfondlers in that it gives Keepers a lot of information for them to realistically complicate their investigators easily acquiring, possessing, transporting, and lawfully using firearms. So there's a lot there for everyone, and it's not just a "list o' guns" book. I really feel it's going to be up there with must-buy supplements for Keepers like Dan Harms' The Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia, The 1920s Investigator Handbook, and the big yellow BRP book. I'm not as versed on the second volume, but I'd suspect that based on the quality of the first, it's also something special.

I don't know anything about release dates, but Sixtystone needs to get this one out ASAP. And Dan Harm's Yig book as well. And the Colonial Cthulhu books. And I want a pony. Where's my pony, dammit!

Agreed, but then Gil and I have been fortunate to see the drafts as Hans has been doing them. In return, Hans has been inordinately patient and understanding with us as we have raised queries and made suggestions. Given what we have seen to date of both books, I think that this resource will prove itself to be a necessity for most Keepers,and a useful book for many players too.

Black-Seal-Editor

And just to whet your appetites here's the cover.

We hope to hope to have this on PDF sale by the end of the year. With print publication to follow in 2012.

post-135-137675620685_thumb.jpg

The cover is by the excellent Chris Huth, otherwise known as the Tatterdemalion King.

All I can say is that Hans delivered more than I asked for in a best of breed RPG weapons books. I think IW 1, 2 and 3 will become the benchmark.

Oh and IW 3? That's going to be Gaslight - British Empire and Old West orientated. Other than that I will say no more.

rylehNC

Fantastic!

WinstonP

Oh and IW 3? That's going to be Gaslight - British Empire and Old West orientated. Other than that I will say no more.

Am I the only person who was hoping Volume 3 would cover Future weapons? I'm very curious to hear Hans evaluation of phased plasma weapons operating in the 20 megawatt range... ;)

HANS
Am I the only person who was hoping Volume 3 would cover Future weapons? I'm very curious to hear Hans evaluation of phased plasma weapons operating in the 20 megawatt range... ;)

I like to try out the things first -- that's going to be difficult with future gear ;)

Also, are there any credible settings for futuristic CALL OF CTHULHU games? I must have missed them, if. Anyway, we'll deal with the three popular settings first. If there's any interest left after that, I think I would rather like to do a WWII volume (I just love all those SOE/OSS/Résistance histories, and think many interesting topics could be covered there). But that's all, ahem, in the future. Let's concentrate on the projects at hand ;)

Cheers

HANS

rylehNC
If there's any interest left after that, I think I would rather like to do a WWII volume (I just love all those SOE/OSS/Résistance histories, and think many interesting topics could be covered there).

There's always the Cold War, too.

Pookie

Much of the Cold War would be covered by the second book.

rylehNC
Much of the Cold War would be covered by the second book.

Blast your subjunctive case! There's two decades of modern weaponry between then and now, and another 45 years more back to the start of the Cold War. Depending on the depth Hans chooses to plumb - and he writes arms supplements like he owns the Glomar Challenger - he could fill as many pages as he wants to fill.

Max_Writer

Will links be posted here when these become available for purchase?

Badger

And don't forget Dark Ages!

<_<

>_>

What?

;)

-=b

submitswfa

I really am looking forward to anything from Sixtystone Press. But with the French weapons manual from Editions Sans-Detour and the German Waffen Handbush from Pegasus Spiele, won't we end up with 3 different stats for the same weapon models/types?

Black-Seal-Editor
I really am looking forward to anything from Sixtystone Press. But with the French weapons manual from Editions Sans-Detour and the German Waffen Handbush from Pegasus Spiele, won't we end up with 3 different stats for the same weapon models/types?

I think you are worrying over small details. The English-speaking audience to a very large degree don't read German or French, and I think Hans wrote the German book anyway. Your problem is primarily for English-reading French and German players and they are already addressed by their native publishers.

Pookie

Only if you are trilingual. Which would be impressive for all concerned.

HANS
I think you are worrying over small details. The English-speaking audience to a very large degree don't read German or French, and I think Hans wrote the German book anyway.

1. Adam is right. I wrote the German CTHULHU WAFFEN-HANDBUCH, so there's a great amount of continuitiy between these products -- although this doesn't mean all the stats are identical (and all the text is completely new; I didn't simply translate it). In the years since the German book's publication, I've interviewed dozens of shooters of all descriptions (target shooters, soldiers, police officers, SWAT officers, Federal agents, etc, from four continents and dozens of countries and several generations), read hundreds (!) of new books, and shot many thousands of rounds myself, all of which helped to make a better book.

2. While there are differences in stats, they aren't substantial. Most are explained in the text or are so minor you won't even notice them.

3. We already have several sets of different stats, between the different editions of the basic rules, works like FATAL EXPERIMENTS or the 1990s HANDBOOK, and the non-Chaosium material such as DELTA GREEN. In fact, one of my aims with these new books is to provide a coherent set of stats that takes all the previous material into account and streamlines or corrects them where necessary, but otherwise leaves them untouched. Despite some of the obvious problems of the basic rules, I've made sure that my books are fully compatible, and most of my new rules are completely optional.

4. Finally, the INVESTIGATOR WEAPONS books are not, actually, all that much about game stats, but rather about use and users. Yes, I list the stats, cause you need them for play, and yes, I have tinkered with some of them. However, most of the text deals with questions like: Where would I find this weapon? What can I do with it? What does it cost, both retail and on the black market? Do I need a permit and what happens if I don't have one? What can I do in the way of accessories or special ammunition? Which kind of character might own one of these? How do you actually load or unjam it (I describe this step by step, almost like a manual)? How much time does this require both actually and in combat rounds? Etc, etc. No CALL OF CTHULHU book has ever lavished much attention on these details, many of which being actually more important to an investigator in his actual, day-to-day life than knowing whether the thing will do enough damage to a Shoggoth.

Cheers

HANS

submitswfa
one of my aims with these new books is to provide a coherent set of stats that takes all the previous material into account and streamlines or corrects them where necessary, but otherwise leaves them untouched.

Wow! That's way more than I could expect. I can't wait for these supplements now!

HomoLupusDomesticus
(...)Oh and IW 3? That's going to be Gaslight - British Empire and Old West orientated. Other than that I will say no more.

Not so interested in modern era weaponry personally, but the other two books definitely have my interest. Will Colonial Call of Cthulhu include plenty of colonial era weaponry or might that also get a separate weapons supplement later on?