Sign in to follow this  
Pookie

Macabre Tales: New Lovecraftian RPG

CynthiaCM

By the way, another glowing review has been posted to RPGnow. The last sentence or two of the review really blew my mind and made me as giddy as a schoolgirl (or perhaps a tentacled schoolgirl). Check it out.

CynthiaCM

Annnnnd yet another review. This one goes section by section in the book, detailing each chapter. He has broken it up into multiple parts and only the first two parts are available at this point. Either way, it's a very positive review. Click here for the first part. A link to the second can be found at the end of Part One.

CynthiaCM

The folks at Flames Rising have posted my "design essay" for Macabre Tales today, so if you're interested in some of the "how's" and "why's" of the game, go check it out.

Also, the files fior the softcover version have been approved by the printers, so I've ordered a copy to ensure that it looks good. The files for the hardcover version are still being approved at this time.

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

Nice. Will the softcover or hardcover prints be offered with a PDF in a combo or do you have to buy the electronic and paper copy separately?

CynthiaCM

We will be offering a bundle deal. Basically, if you choose a bundle, you'll get the print version at full price and the PDF for an additional $3.

JudoMonk

It has been a week...any updates on print release?

We will be offering a bundle deal. Basically, if you choose a bundle, you'll get the print version at full price and the PDF for an additional $3.

CynthiaCM

Hi, JudoMonk.

I'm waiting for the test copy of the softcover version to arrive at my house before I can release it, as I don't want people to purchase a book and then find out that it looks wrong or has some other flaw. It should be here within 1-3 more days. I received a notification saying that it was sent out on Saturday. As soon as I look it over and can say that it looks right, I'll click the button on my DriveThru page and then let everyone know it's available.

As for the hardback version, it's still listed as being in "Pre-Media". Hopefully, it will be ready within a day or two, so I can have a copy sent out to me for testing.

Either way, the softcover will be released first. It's not due to a marketing ploy or anything like that though. It's simply because it'll be ready to be sold sooner than the hardcover version.

CynthiaCM

Spectrum Games is pleased to announce the “Tale of Terror†contest! If you’re an aspiring writer/designer who is interested in getting your work published and winning a copy of Spectrum’s newest role-playing game, Macabre Tales, then you could be in luck!

We are looking for short adventures (called “tales†in the game) for inclusion in an upcoming supplement. That’s where you come in! To enter, simply submit a summary/premise of your tale (between 500 and 1,000 words in length) to cynthia.spectrumgames (at) gmail.com by December 6th, 2011.

On December 8th, three entries we feel are the most intriguing will be selected as the winners. The three authors in question will be sent the PDF version of the Macabre Tales rulebook so that they can learn the game rules and flesh out their respective tales into a short adventure (between 4,000 and 5,000 words in length). The tale must be received before January 15th, 2012 at which point Spectrum Games may suggest alterations. The final draft will be due on January 28th. The softcover version of the Macabre Tales rulebook will be sent to the individual authors when their final tales have been turned in.

To reiterate, here’s the timeline:

Dec. 6th: Summary Deadline

Dec. 8th: Three Winners Announced

Jan. 15th: First Draft Deadline

Jan. 28th: Final Draft Deadline

BASIC RULES FOR TALES:

• Tales must be set in the 1920s or 1930s

• Tales must be designed with a single primary character in mind.

• Tales should stay as true to the spirit, themes and tropes of Lovecraft’s stories as possible.

• You can only use tomes, characters, artifacts, entities or creatures taken from H.P. Lovecraft’s fiction or from your own imagination. Anything created by H.P. Lovecraft’s successors or peers (August Derleth, Brian Lumley, Robert E. Howard, etc.) is off limits.

• Submissions must be sent via email as attachments in Word or txt. format. Should you include any maps or handouts, they should be sent in TIFF or PNG format.

• The subject line of the email with the summary entry should be “Tale of Terror Submission – [name of your tale]â€

• On the attachment file itself should be your name, email address and telephone number.

OTHER CONTEST RULES:

• The contest is not open to employees of Spectrum Games or their personal friends or family members.

• Participants may submit up to three tale summaries, though only one tale per person can be selected. That is, we will not select more than one tale from a single participant.

• Spectrum Games gains ownership of the three tales chosen as the winning entries.

• This contest is subject to federal, state and local laws, where applicable.

• Should the author fail to meet the stated deadlines, his or her submission may be withdrawn by Spectrum Games in favor of a runner-up.

• Spectrum Games reserves the tight to withdraw the contest at any time.

• Spectrum Games reserves the right to edit the text as needed in order for it to be as professional as possible.

CynthiaCM

I just received my copy of the Macabre Tales rulebook and I'm very pleased with how it looks. As such, it's now for sale at DrivethruRPG.com! Hopefully, the hardcover version will be ready in the next week.

Thanks for your patience.

JonHook

I'm totally entering this contest!!!!

NeferSutekh

Lovecraftian solo adventure. Interesting. When you say "taken from H.P. Lovecraft’s fiction" I assume that you mean anything ever mentioned in a story by Lovecraft himself...even if it was originally created by another author and later "borrowed" by HPL?

CynthiaCM

I've tried to avoid that for the most part, but it's done on a case by case basis. For example, Hastur (who was created by Ambrose Bierce) is not mentioned.

CynthiaCM

We're running a Black Friday sale that includes Macabre Tales. Use the links below to redeem the discounts! The sale lasts until Sunday, November 27th!

Macabre Tales Print + PDF $18.99 (normally $22.99)

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=96123&discount=89266

Macabre Tales PDF $10.99 (normally $14.99)

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=96123&discount=18726

JudoMonk
We're running a Black Friday sale that includes Macabre Tales. Use the links below to redeem the discounts! The sale lasts until Sunday, November 27th!

Macabre Tales Print + PDF $18.99 (normally $22.99)

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=96123&discount=89266

Macabre Tales PDF $10.99 (normally $14.99)

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=96123&discount=18726

Very tempting I might say, but I am holding out for the hardcover books.

CynthiaCM

Understood. The printers still have the hardcover version listed as being "in premedia". I do so hope they hurry up.

CynthiaCM

Yesterday, the files were approved by the printers. I immediately ordered one so I can ensure the quality. I even spent extra cash to have faster shipping, because I really, really want this version available to gamers as soon as possible.

CynthiaCM

The hardcover version is available now! I damn near cried when I saw my test copy. That's how proud I am of how it looks! You can purchase it here.

tutunaku

Consider it bought!

JudoMonk
Consider it bought!

Double that....i am buying least two copies!

DrVincent

Just ordered my copy. Can't wait to see and play :)

Cheers,

Dr. V

CynthiaCM

Thanks, guys. I really cannot say enough how much I appreciate your enthusiasm about the game.

By the way, there's a brand new review up now.

JudoMonk
Thanks, guys. I really cannot say enough how much I appreciate your enthusiasm about the game.

By the way, there's a brand new review up now.

Yet another great review! I had been running CoC RPG games for over 6 years and after reading the reviews believe Macabre Tales will be a great addition to my groups gaming fun!

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

I have another RPG to purchase from RPGNow that should be coming out soon.

As soon as it is, I'm ordering it and Macabre Tales.

Congratulations Cynthia.

JudoMonk

WOW...I just ordered two hardback copies of the rules. One for me and the other a gift...spread the love! After the holidays I might order 1-2 more copies for my CoC group.

CynthiaCM

Thanks, PhoneCallofCthulhu! I hope the game is to your liking.