Sign in to follow this  
PhoneCallOfCthulhu

[L'ADC 30e Anniversaire] Translation Thread

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

I'm offering to translate parts of Sans-Detour's L'Appel De Cthulhu 30e Anniversaire in english to the best of my capabilities.

I'm in no way a professional translator but if I can help, just post your request here.

Other french speaking members are welcomed to help/suggest/criticize if they want :)

Krypter

Could you translate the Dervishes of Suakin adventure since it's something new to the core book, or is that too long?

Second request would be an elucidation of the revised martial arts and combat rules. Thank you!

fojo

Err... wold not mind helping (even if nor English nor French is my first language) but... is it legal?

PhoneCallOfCthulhu
Could you translate the Dervishes of Suakin adventure since it's something new to the core book, or is that too long?

Second request would be an elucidation of the revised martial arts and combat rules. Thank you!

At 47 pages it is a bit too long :) And like fojo said I'm really not sure it would be legal to translate such a huge part of the book. It would basically make some of the book's content available to everyone including those who don't own the book.

I haven't read the book yet (just received it) and thus have not checked the martial arts and combat rules, though that could be a huge section to translate also. I'll read it and try to make a general resume of the rules here instead of doing a word-for-word translation (again for the legality of it).

I guess that some small blocks of text could be literally translated as that would be the equivalent of quoting a rule or two in the forum. But more than that, I'm not so sure.

Krypter

Fair enough, I didn't realize it was so long. When my copy arrives in the next few days I'll probably ask for some more specific bits to be translated, especially when it comes to roleplaying jargon that a general English-French dictionary might not encompass. Thanks for helping out!

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

I've started reading the combat section yesterday. I'm not done yet, but I'll try to explain part of it ASAP.

cjearkham

Could you translate what's mentioned on the various Mythos map pages, as I sort of did here?

Krypter

Baratin ("To Flannel") is the French equivalent to Fast Talk. I think. Gamer jargon is even funnier in French.

PhoneCallOfCthulhu
Could you translate what's mentioned on the various Mythos map pages, as I sort of did here?

Yep that's seems reasonable. Once I'm done with my paraphrasing of the combat chapter, I'll take a look at those nice maps.

cjearkham
Yep that's seems reasonable. Once I'm done with my paraphrasing of the combat chapter, I'll take a look at those nice maps.

While I appreciate your willingness to try what I asked for, I've just learned that Sans-Detour released the map pages in a separate publication, "L'Atlas du Mythe". My "excerpt" request now becomes more like copyright infringement, so I withdraw it.

Apologies to those who might have been looking forward to this.

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

Ok no problem. In all cases I think that I'll paraphrase in order to avoid any legal problem.

Paddurz

I'm slowly making my way through the French rules but it isn't easy. Google translate and a dictionary does most of the work but quite often it is only my knowledge of the English CoC that makes the sentences understandable.

So far I've come to the conclusion that the French rules for handling injuries are more interesting than the Chaosium version. Ditto the way poisons and diseases are handled are way better than the old rules. I also like (but haven't translated them so I understand them yet) the way they describe for each skill what it means to be amateur (25-49%), professional (50-74%) and expert (75%+). I can see some rules being introduced in my English CoC soon.

SDT certainly seems to have addressed some of my gripes (although in general they are minor gripes) with the rules system.

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

My impression up to now is that they aimed for a more realistic type of game with l'ADC compared to CoC.

Personally I find the injuries rules a bit overkill. For example: Dice rolls to determine if a wound will infect or not. Sometime useful (like when lost in a jungle) but most of the time I don't care for that level of detail.

They have fixed length rounds (5 seconds I think) with precise measured character movement per round. But personally, I prefer the "The round is an elastic unit of time that lets character do one action" of CoC.

My feeling is that people that felt that CoC was too vague in regards to combat and such would actually prefer the ADC's implementation of Lovecraftian horror roleplaying.

All the rules that I've read thus far in l'ADC sounds right and well thought out. But often they just add too much crunch for my taste.

Only exception to that up to now is the Aplomb points. Which just feels to me like Hero points or Fate points and I've never been a fan of mechanics like these.

That said, some of the things they did, like the skill levels that Paddurz talked about are really neat. Also a nice simple sidebar that explains the meaning of the having a certain score in an ability. Like what having 8 of SIZ could mean. Really helpful to new players.

So up to now (and that could change at some point), l'ADC feels like an awesome book full of ideas to integrate or use once in a while in my CoC game. But I'm not ready for a full system switch, even though the book is in my and all of my players' mother-tongue.

Paddurz

I like that many subjects, like rules for the chance of disease in the injuries if you fumble your first aid roll, are there if you want to use it.

I can agree that it certainly seem to be grittier than normal CoC - at least if you play the Lovecraftian horror (the normal 20 times EDU skill points) and not the pulp version (40 times EDU skill points!!!) but I'm sure there will be things that are not too my liking. And I do love the layout of the book!!! It certainly is a lot deadlier!

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

Ok, so here the first part of my translation/explanation of the combat rules. It might be a bit hard to follow and a bit all over the place but I hope that it'll still be understandable. Also, it is not a complete word for word translation (that would be illegal). It is me trying to explain in english what I understood of the rules. The subjects are written in the same order as the Combat chapter to help those with the book follow along and it helps me be sure that I talked a bit about everything.

One last thing, when I use the word character(s) it means both PCs and NPCs.

In L'ADC, each combat round are precisely 5 seconds long and they are each composed of two phases. During a round, every character can act twice (once per phase). The possible actions include attacking, defending, moving, using a skill, simultaneous actions, etc…

You might ask yourself what are simultaneous actions? In other RPGs you might have encountered that concept as splitting your dice pool. Basically, it means doing two things at the same time (irrelevant to the two phases per round I just talked about). In L'ADC's mechanic it means that if someone, for example, wants to attack and defend himself (or drive and shoot, sing and dance, etc...) in the same phase, he suffers a 10% penalty to his main action and a 20% penalty to his secondary action.

The basic initiative order is the same as in CoC, in DEX order descending. But the two systems have some differences. For example, someone with a ready and aimed firearm receive a +10 to his initiative value for this combat phase instead of getting an extra shot before everyone else like in CoC.

As previously said each 5 seconds round is divided in two action phases. In each action phase, characters can perform a short action or combine the two phases to perform a prolonged action (which actions are short and which are prolonged is described in the book, but basically keep in mind that most combat actions are short). First thing to do at the beginning of a round is to declare your intentions for both phases. All characters must declare what they intend to do in ascending order of initiative. This way faster characters can react to the actions of the slower ones. Also, a character can only declare he's defending against already declared attacks. Normally you have to stick to your declared actions but it possible to switch an attack for a defence or the other way around but your relevant roll will be penalized by 20%.

Both action phases are executed in the same way; going down the initiative order each character can do their previously declared action and once both phase have passed a new round can begin.

For all attack types the mechanic is always the same. To hit, he must succeed a roll of the corresponding skill. If his opponent is not defending himself against that particular attack, it is a simple under or equal roll. But if his opponent is defending, it is instead an opposed roll. In an opposed roll both characters roll their skill normally and if both succeed, they compare the quality of their successes (in L'ADC if you roll under or equal your skill score it is a normal success, under one fifth of your skill score it is a special success and 01 is a critical success). If both attacker and defender get the same quality of successes the result is left to the Keeper (with some guidelines written in the book about it).

They also have special rules if you want to aim at specific regions of the body, use multiple weapons, attack multiple targets, charge your opponent or strike with heavy blows.

Now about defence. When a character declares his intentions and he's declaring a defence, he has three tactical choices. He can dodge (an opposed roll using Hand-to-Hand for melee attacks and Athletism for ranged attacks), a parry (an opposed roll using the weapon's skill) or to spend his whole round dodging (in which case he receives a bonus to all his dodge rolls).

Armors subtract points from damage rolled but also have an hindrance factor depending on armour type which gives you a penalty to all skill checks. Attack penalties for cover is also listed for multiple cover types.

During a round, in addition to his actions an investigator can freely move around 5 meters. But if he choses to Move as one of his action he can move double that amount. There are also rules for crawling, getting up and attacking a prone target.

Other actions. Drawing a weapon is done in one action. So shooting an holstered firearm would take your two action phases. Reloading could take one phase (one bullet in a revolver, change the clip in an automatic), be a prolonged action (reload the whole barrel of a revolver) or up to two rounds (load up an ancient musket). There is also information about distracting your opponent or using non-combat skills in combat.

What's left in the chapter is some info on damage, melee combat specifics (like knock-out, grapple, etc...), martial arts, ranged combat specifics (target size and range, moving targets, etc...) and the different type of shooting (blind firing, covering fire, fast shooting, etc...).

Hope you enjoyed!

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

I think this means that there is no need for a Part 2.

Black-Seal-Editor

How do the Aplomb rules work?

And are there any rules for contacts?

Or any rules for researching information when not in a library, e.g. on the street, rumour, etc.?

Paddurz

Or any rules for researching information when not in a library, e.g. on the street, rumour, etc.?

There is a large section on research, although what it contains I'm yet to find out. It takes forever to get a understanding of the text... A big reason for that could of course be that I don't read or speak French...

PhoneCallOfCthulhu

I didn't check this thread since last posting, I'll take a in-depth look at the Aplomb rules and explain it here.

I'll also see if I can find something about research outside a library.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this