Sign in to follow this  
StuartB

Elder Sign: Omens - coming to a handheld device near you...

lordingrey

I have Ipad version and have had perhaps 2 crashes in uptmeen games both at game end anyway [lost game and investigator killed same time seems to cause trouble] (high score about 5200). I encourage anyone to report all bugs to FFG via the user links at the bottom of their forum pages.

Great game, nicely done execution. Now rivals Carcasonne as my favourite ipad game app.

StuartB

I've got the iPhone and full Mac versions. Neither has ever crashed for me. Although I did see an update come out recently through iTunes. I wasn't paying attention to see which version (or both?) were updated, but that might have fixed things.

All I know is that since updating, I've not managed to win a single game on my Mac. Deadly, it is! ;)

This has instantly become my best and favourite game on the iPhone.

yockenthwaite

Just tried my first game of this on my iPad. I have the board game, but haven't played it yet. So I was a complete newbie. I found the video tutorials helpful but also somewhat frustrating, not quite covering things in enough depth, skipping over things that still puzzled me. But I charged on with the game. And lost comprehensively :) But I enjoyed it immensely, and can only improve (at least in game at-ease-ness, if not winning!) in future. Very glad I bought it.

StuartB

I've actually found that over time I've got a much better understanding of how the table-top game should be played as a result of using Elder Sign: Omens.

I thought the original Elder Sign was rather easy... that's because I was unknowingly cheating! Now I see my mistake and balance has been restored.

One thing I thought to mention as well, but I like that the game remembers exactly where you are, so if a game has to be interrupted, you can come back to the exact point where you were previously. I've found this tremendously useful on both the iPhone and full Mac versions.

GadZookFilms

Thought I'd chime in and say that this has become one of my favorite mobile games as well. The spit and polish of the whole thing is pretty awesome.

Flock Of Panthers

I am really impressed with the music.

I mean obviously it's atmospheric and enjoyable, but I love how sophisticated it's context sensitivity is. I don't know how many times I've agonised over a decision while the music swells in tension, only to resolve as I throw the dice.

Paddurz
I've actually found that over time I've got a much better understanding of how the table-top game should be played as a result of using Elder Sign: Omens.

I thought the original Elder Sign was rather easy... that's because I was unknowingly cheating! Now I see my mistake and balance has been restored.

One thing I thought to mention as well, but I like that the game remembers exactly where you are, so if a game has to be interrupted, you can come back to the exact point where you were previously. I've found this tremendously useful on both the iPhone and full Mac versions.

I agree with StuartB - I've obviously not played the board game correctly before! it is my favourite game on the iPad - and as StuartB also said, as the game remembers where you are, without you having to save it, it can be played for a short moments and still be enjoyable.

Noble

I find that when 'The Curator' pops up, I hardly ever seem to be able to beat it, and then I just lose all my points, and then the game. Still loving it though, did anyone notice that 'The Necronomicon Horror', had a update and a add-on posted?

StuartB

The more I play it, the more wary I am of certain cards and yes, The Curator fills me with dread!

I find that I almost have to play with Harvey Walters if I want to beat the Curator and, I have to say, he is incredibly useful otherwise as well. The only other way is with a character who has access to the Yellow and Red dice, and a couple of Clue tokens.

I've heard people comment about Arkham Horror that it is possible to devise 'dream teams' and I suspect the same is true of Elder Sign: Omens. However, I find it more fun to just click the 'Random' button and descend into madness and death... but perhaps that just me.

synthboy

Finally got round to downloading this and I've only played two games (1 loss, 1 win which seems pretty good results from what I read) but I'm loving it. I too like the fact you can just flip your iPad cover shut and come back to the game although I'm not very good at that ("One more card then I'll quit, just one more.") Fingers crossed for some add-ons.

Pickman

Had it on the ipad for about a week. Best score is 2390 closest to winning is 11 elder signs. only had a crash when using the tramp.

This is great for me as I only get to play board games on rare occasions. Agree with harvey walters but always loose badly when the curtor appears. Have found Amanda Sharpe useful as she can comple a number of tasks in her turn.

Money well spent as a very slick production.

Hoping for more conversions.

AndyMcD52

OOh bloody 'The Curator' is a bane I also find myself trying to beat that all the time.

Amanda Sharpe I would say is the best character in the game with the right combo I find myslef beating any challenge.

Still only beat it a handful of times and it still makes me go back to it. I am hoping that there will be more monsters in an update.

Pookie

Is anyone having problems with the update?

GadZookFilms

There's an update? I haven't seen one yet, anyway.

The Curator is definitely one of my dread cards. My favorites to play include Kate Winthrop (gotta love terror immunity and no monster additions on wins), Darrell Simmons, Amanda Sharpe and Joe Diamond (I love stringing a bunch of glyph rolls together with him).

So far, my top score is 5060. That was a fluke, I'm certain of it. I seem to win about 1 out of 5.

Pookie
There's an update? I haven't seen one yet, anyway.

Yes, I got an update on my Android tablet. It took a while to download and install and that was after changing to the Phone format.

The Curator is definitely one of my dread cards. My favorites to play include Kate Winthrop (gotta love terror immunity and no monster additions on wins), Darrell Simmons, Amanda Sharpe and Joe Diamond (I love stringing a bunch of glyph rolls together with him).

So far, my top score is 5060. That was a fluke, I'm certain of it. I seem to win about 1 out of 5.

I have managed to score 4200 and win on my first real attempt after watching the tutorials.

Pickman

After many games finaly won.

Team

Harvy Walters

Mandy Thompson

Gloria Goldburg

Jenny Barnes

Score 5030

Found Gloria is very good for other world areas. Harvey Walters Against the curator.

GadZookFilms
Yes, I got an update on my Android tablet. It took a while to download and install and that was after changing to the Phone format.

Oh! OK. I'm on iPhone and we didn't get an update. I had the same experience where I won once I actually read the rules. :)

yockenthwaite

Well I still haven't won, but I nearly just did, getting 13 Elder Signs, but then failing to get the last one I needed in time. Will win one of these days though, and I'm starting to get the hang of working with clues etc. Enjoying it hugely. Most played game on my iPad.

Zjivagoth

Best score 5130, a nice game and all but I feel that there isnt that much of a replay value here, but a few hours of fun none the less.

yockenthwaite
a nice game and all but I feel that there isnt that much of a replay value here

Not even with the potential to vary your investigative team in terms of members, size etc. and also strategies that you use? I'd have thought there would be lots of replaying potential, even after you've won a game.

And I like the way there is no set-up time, as there would be with the board/card game. And no table full of bits to clear away afterwards either.

Zjivagoth
Not even with the potential to vary your investigative team in terms of members, size etc. and also strategies that you use? I'd have thought there would be lots of replaying potential, even after you've won a game.

And I like the way there is no set-up time, as there would be with the board/card game. And no table full of bits to clear away afterwards either.

Well maybe my attention span is at fault, but after I won I havent really felt like picking it up again, im sure ill give it a try eventually though.

Deepfriedzombie

anyone play the Ncronomnicon Horror on Ipad, Itouch, or Iphone...I cant get enough of it!

Zjivagoth
anyone play the Ncronomnicon Horror on Ipad, Itouch, or Iphone...I cant get enough of it!

Looks nice :) downloading now, ill try to review later.

christian

Finally managed to win with Amanda Sharpe, Joe Diamond, Jenny Barnes and Bob Jenkins, despite the Curator's bane. Difficult game!

epka

Yea!

First win, with score 4800 (in 22 turns and -6 doom).

The whole team (Kate Winthrop, Amanda Sharpe, Bob Jenkings and Joe Diamond) survived, through 18 adventures, performing 47 tasks and killing 6 monsters. 4 gates opened, 15 elder signs collected (none purchased).

It seemed almost too easy (after three lost 'practise games, scores ranging from 350--1200, which made me desperate that it cannot be won), although there was couple of tight spots.