Sign in to follow this  
PoC

French Call of Cthulhu 30th Anniversary edition (L'Appel de Cthulhu)

PoC

So a surprise package arrived at the door of Innsmouth House today. Said package turned out to contain a copy of the new 30th anniversary edition of Call of Cthulhu - but this time the French edition (L'Appel de Cthulhu).

In short, it is the most handsome edition of Call of Cthulhu I've ever seen (in 30 years of collecting), in fact it's probably the best-looking RPG book I've ever seen.

To give you a sample of what it's like I'll post a few photographs here.

coc-fr-30th-01.jpg

The endpapers and face page. The book comes with an internal bookmark.

coc-fr-30th-02.jpg

Just a sample of the full-spread colour art featured throughout the book.

coc-fr-30th-03.jpg

How to make a Mythos timeline look interesting.

coc-fr-30th-04.jpg

Examples of how character professions are presented.

coc-fr-30th-05.jpg

More full colour double-page spread artwork.

coc-fr-30th-06.jpg

This edition of the Call of Cthulhu rule book is a true anniversary edition. Besides bringing back some of the wonderful art from the game over the past three decades, throughout the book there are entries discussing Call of Cthulhu supplements that have appeared during the game's history (Both French and English, from multiple publishers) .

(Click on the images to see larger versions.)

PoC

A few more photographs.

coc-fr-30th-07.jpg

An example of highlighting art from the history of the game. In this case Les Edwards' "Chiller".

coc-fr-30th-08.jpg

The use of a 'woodcut' style for creature illustration (also put to effective use by Pegasus Spiele in Germany).

coc-fr-30th-09.jpg

Example of the bestiary section.

coc-fr-30th-10.jpg

Sample of how the accompanying scenarios at the back of the book are presented.

I could take a picture of any page from L'Appel de Cthulhu Édition 30e Anniversaire and the standard would be the same. The book weighs in at just under 1.6 Kg for 398 full colour pages. This is a book you'd want to show off. It is an exemplar of beautiful presentation.

A brilliant anniversary edition by Sans-Détour. If you can read French you will not want to miss it.

WiseWolf

Thanks, Paul. I believe I am sticking to this release. It looks gorgeous. I will have to save a lot in order to get it and I hope that it won´t sold out before October.

StephanieMcAlea

:(

so annoyed. It is a beautiful book... If ANYTHING warranted a kickstarter project it's an English version of this book. Sadly, due to whatever esoteric wranglings go on in the industry we're likely never to see it. I REALLY wish that a certain company would get their visual act together. It seems sad that the more that license holders bring out books like this, the worse the original publisher looks. They just cannot put a reprint in a hardcover and call it a special edition anymore.

DrVincent

Wow, that is amazing. Thanks for posting. Can we please have this in an english version... no really, who do I have to kill }:-E

StephanieMcAlea
Wow, that is amazing. Thanks for posting. Can we please have this in an english version... no really, who do I have to kill }:-E

You won't need all 3 guesses...

OK... I'll behave now.

Mograg

I just e-mailed Charlie Krank at Chaosium to ask him if he would entertain the idea of reprinting this gorgeous French 30th anniversary edition in English. I know that Chaosium just reprinted the sixth edition rules in a leather cover as an anniversary edition (and acknowledged that in my e-mail)...but dear god look at that French edition...I told Charlie that I don't even read French and have entertained the notion of buying this thing just on the presentation alone. If it were to be published in English...I would snap it up in a hot minute.

Maybe if enough of us appeal directly to Chaosium (charlie@chaosium.com) we can make this wish come true.

Best,

Brian C.

Chelmsford, Massachusetts

mograg@hotmail.com

P.S.: I'd be willing to pony up for a ransom/fundable effort for this book if that is what it took.

WiseWolf
Maybe if enough of us appeal directly to Chaosium (charlie@chaosium.com) we can make this wish come true.

I sent him an email a long time ago on the same lines about Sàns Detour´s DG books. I am still waiting for a response.

PoC

I've just heard from Sans-Détour. They clarified that this edition isn't a collectable one. It's the standard edition from here on out (and apparently it has a huge print run).

I've just been looking through it some more and there's wonderful attention to detail.

On page 58 there's an excellent "info graphic" detailing the major Call of Cthulhu campaigns, their timelines and locations around the world.

StuartB

Could not resist. Gah. Purchased.

Thank goodness my wife speaks fluent French. The registration message might as well have been in Yithian! 8O

I now officially have too many copies of the CoC rules... an eBay auction might be warranted.

Noble
I now officially have too many copies of the CoC rules... an eBay auction might be warranted.

Well make sure you leave space for 7th ed, and then all the nicer non-English versions that will come out, grrr!

cjearkham
I've just heard from Sans-Détour. They clarified that this edition isn't a collectable one. It's the standard edition from here on out (and apparently it has a huge print run).

Oh, good. I attempted the Sans-Détour site with the help of Google Translate, but I was unable to get it to acknowledge my newly created account. I've successfully used amazon.jp through Google Translate, so I looked at amazon.fr, but they currently have only the 2008 edition. I'll wait to see if this one turns up in a few weeks.

Mograg

The latest edition of the (English language) Keeper's Screen is, as I understand things, a clone of the French language edition Keeper's Screen. Could not the same thing be done with the core rulebook? If the French have done the masterwork job, could not Chaosium as the license-holder simply replicate it in English (with a generous and wholehearted tip of the hat to Sans Detour for their inspired work).

Yes it would mean translating the core rules book, but there must be a few people in the business capable of that. And the layout, images, and all that are already there, so no guesswork involved on what works and what does not. Simple translation. And the thing would be a surefire seller, based on the reactions in this forum (including my own - I wish I'd paid more attention in my high school French classes!).

I held off buying the English-language 30th Anniversary Edition since I already have the sixth edition rules in three other hardcover formats (standard rulebook, the 20th anniversary "green leather" rulebook, and the 25th anniversary "looks like the old boxed set cover" rulebook). If this Sans Detour edition came out in English I'd have my credit card out so fast it would create a minor sonic boom.

- Brian C.

Chelmsford, Massachusetts

mograg@hotmail.com

StephanieMcAlea
If this Sans Detour edition came out in English I'd have my credit card out so fast it would create a minor sonic boom.

hahaha... yeah me too. But then, why would Chaosium do that? it's in their interest not to so that people still buy their version and not the Sans detour English version.

Mograg

Well I suppose you have a point, there. All these wonderful French and German Call of Cthulhu productions...truly I am envious of my French and German literate gamer brethren.

Dr_Zarnak

Magnificent. So, is the game this popular in France that someone can afford to put out something like that? Is the RPG industry over there being subsidized by the government?

By the way, Ludik Bazar will be getting stock of the book in a week or so, and their website has an English version.

PoC

I believe Call of Cthulhu is particularly popular in both France and Germany. Germany has a long tradition of games-playing and my understanding is that French literary circles have always considered Lovecraft a serious author. Both countries still have on-the-shelf Games/RPG magazines the last time I looked.

Sans-Détour have been putting out some beautiful editions like the Beyond the Mountains of Madness Collector's Edition; the German edition of Horror on the Orient Express is also a high water mark in production value.

From what I hear Chaosium have a group of people working on a 7th edition of Call of Cthulhu which I imagine won't be identical to the French version. However it certainly wouldn't be impossible for Chaosium to pour in the English language content into the French presentation format (that's essentially what happened with Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu 20th/30th anniversary edition and the German limited edition of the time).

It's really up to Chaosium to have the will to do something like this. I imagine the English language market would be the biggest of all.

StuartB
Well make sure you leave space for 7th ed, and then all the nicer non-English versions that will come out, grrr!

I do hope that Chaosium are listening and will step things up for the 7th Ed. Paul makes a perfect point: there is a huge English-speaking market for this!

Wake up and smell the ichor, Chaosium! 8-O

As is, with the Sans Detour edition shipping this morning, I'm going to eBay my 6th Ed. while hanging on to my workhorse hardback 5.6Ed. for reference. In time I may get rid of that as well.

yockenthwaite

Got my copy today. It looks lovely, and on a trivial but still rather important point it was very well packed in lots of bubble wrap and a good strong cardboard box. So no chance of being damaged in transit. Very pleased with it. Now where's that French dictionary ... ;)

christian

Thanks to you, ô english speaking nerds. I did not even know this had come out. Will snap it up pronto ;-)

Now I ONLY I could read German too.....

WiseWolf
It's really up to Chaosium to have the will to do something like this. I imagine the English language market would be the biggest of all.

Specially because it includes a lot of Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, Finish, etc, etc, etc speakers.

patrick1971

I just been looking through it some more and there's wonderful attention to detail.

On page 58 there's an excellent "info graphic" detailing the major Call of Cthulhu campaigns, their timelines and locations around the world.

If this isn't a collectable edition, whats the chances of Innsmouth house getting in a supply? I think I'm seriously considering learning to read French and German...

PoC

Unfortunately from previous experience with foreign language editions we've found that it's not viable to import them.

In these cases direct ordering is usually the best.

booga

I just received this edition in the mail today and it is just plain amazing (I now live in the US, but come from Paris and started playing l'Appel de Cthulhu some 25 years ago. I still play AdC online in French using Teamspeak/Skype and Maptoo, which is why I still use some of the French books). I already owned the "regular" sans-detour 6th edition that was already pretty beautiful (albeit in B&W). But this anniversary edition is a work of art. I agree that it's probably one of the most beautiful RPG books ever published, and the content is incredible as well. A lot of material (both fluff and crunch) was added, including a lot more of HPL universe references, references to previous CoC products both US and French, a new mini campaign etc... It's a great hommage to both CoC and to HPL. I'm blown away.

The general quality of the Sans-Detour line of CoC product is quite amazing, it includes some remastered Chaosium classic, some original French books (one being a very complete weapons reference by Dr Incubus, another a book called "forensics, profiling and serial killers". Both these books are within the CoC universe but can be very useful references to arcane keepers). The translation to the Beyond the Mountains of Madness is especially well done, and the collector edition as incredible as the 30th anniversary book (came in a crate stenciled with hte expedition name, had a flag, expedition picutres, the 700 page campaign, other really well made clues for the players, and other cool features ). Sans-Detour is now working on the Delta Green translations and already published the main DG book and its first sourcebook. Rumor has it that the next big project is an expanded "Masks of Nyarlathotep" campaign with added locations, expanded descriptions and less linear synopsis. The project involves the "Trouver objet caché" team (http://www.tentacules.net, the French equivalent of Yog-Sothoth.com). I know I'll be getting this one as well :)

The latest edition of the (English language) Keeper's Screen is, as I understand things, a clone of the French language edition Keeper's Screen. Could not the same thing be done with the core rulebook? If the French have done the masterwork job, could not Chaosium as the license-holder simply replicate it in English (with a generous and wholehearted tip of the hat to Sans Detour for their inspired work).

This is true, I do own the French edition of the Screen and checked the US one at a convention and they are very similar (same art, same layout). Actually it's interesting to notice that a lot of the data was litterally translated from French to US, even though the rules they apply to only exist in the French Edition. The French 6th edition is still using the BRP as a base, but has otherwise revamped a lot of the rules. The combat system has been streamlined, the skill system expanded, the sanity rules as well. For example when cumulative modifiers add up to less than -20, a special success has to be rolled. The very nice chart on the screen with the cat,dog,human, elephant silhouettes doesn't really make sense with hte US editon, but works with the French edition. I hope this means that the next version of the US CoC will include some rule elements from the French one, or maybe it was translated by someone that does not know both game systems.

Yes it would mean translating the core rules book, but there must be a few people in the business capable of that. And the layout, images, and all that are already there, so no guesswork involved on what works and what does not. Simple translation. And the thing would be a surefire seller, based on the reactions in this forum (including my own - I wish I'd paid more attention in my high school French classes!).

By all means, if Chaosium is interested in buying the rights and translating this edition, I'll be more than happy to work on the translation !

I believe Call of Cthulhu is particularly popular in both France and Germany. Germany has a long tradition of games-playing and my understanding is that French literary circles have always considered Lovecraft a serious author. Both countries still have on-the-shelf Games/RPG magazines the last time I looked.

Right you are, HPL has had quite a bit of respect in France for as long as I can remember. CoC was translated since the first edition and has known a lot of success since. Most if not all the Chaosium and Pagan Publishing addons have been translated but Jeux Descartes, and quite a few original campaigns and addons published over the years. Jeux Descartes is no more, but Sans-Detour picked up the flame and is now publishing Coc products of great quality.

Unfortunately from previous experience with foreign language editions we've found that it's not viable to import them.

In these cases direct ordering is usually the best.

You may be able so save a bit on shipping by purchasing these books from "Le Valet d'Coeur", an online store located in Montreal, QC : http://levalet.com/ Their webiste is bilingual and I always have had good experience with them.

Last if you purchase the French edition and need a bit of help with the language, let me know !

Eugene

It is beautiful! Since its been mentioned, just what are the differences between the current French version and the Chaosium one, in terms of rules?