Sign in to follow this  
GBSteve

Menacing Missives - A postcard scenario competition.

GBSteve

In celebration of H.P. Lovecraft's birthday and Summer (although, of course it is raining as I type this), I'm running a competition. The idea is simple: send Yoggie a scenario on a postcard. A shortlist will be selected by popular acclaim and a secret cabal of judges will select the winners.

Pelgrane Press are happy to provide prize support for this contest, which includes ephemera, a clue to the Darcy mystery and a $50 Pelgrane Press voucher, with two $25 runner-up prizes.

Send your post card to this address :
Postcard Competion
Innsmouth House
P.O. Box 315
SHIPLEY, BD18 9DB
United
Kingdom

The Rules:
- The scenario should fit on one side of a single postcard, no larger than A5 in size.
- The scenario should relate to the image on the front and contain no references to rules (so it is playable with any system).
- The front can contain minor annotations (such as dingbats or numbers) linked to writing on the back but not extra writing.
- The postcard doesn't have to contain the whole detailed scenario but should be enough for a Keeper to run the game.
- The closing date is Hallowe'en 2011. Any postcards received after that date will not be considered for a prize.

(Thanks to Dave L, for his card which inspired this competition, for Paul of Cthulhu for hosting the competition and Pelgrane Press for providing prize support)

dce
In celebration of H.P. Lovecraft's birthday and Summer (although, of course it is raining as I type this), I'm running a competition. The idea is simple: send Yoggie a scenario on a postcard.

This is an extremely cool idea for a competition ... and knowing how creative people on YSDC are, there will doubtless be some amazing entries.

Now if only I had enough free time to write something in a format that brief :-)

Dean (from Adelaide)

Paradroid

Very cool. Count me in. Luckily, I neglected to post that particular postcard with Castle Rieneck of CthulhuCon fame in front.

Sim88

Why wasn't this posted yesterday? I just used a perfect postcard for this... it is a drawing of a human skin, pinned up like a drapery with latin words written on it... Will have to find another one.

yockenthwaite

Ooh I happened to buy another postcard this morning on my way home. Now will I try to write a scenario, or just send my usual? :) Options. Oh and I presume if we have the whole of the side of the postcard to write on that includes where the address would usually go on one half of the clear side? So popping it in an envelope?

trevlix

So I'm fairly positive one can create their own postcards. Is that permissive for this contest?

PoC

Good questions!

I've pinged GBSteve for clarification. :)

GBSteve

I'm going to be strict. The postcard has to be stamped and addressed, no putting it in an envelope. Also designing your own postcard is not permitted. It has to be commercially available.

jabonko

I'll ask because I'm not confident the first postcard I find will be that "perfect one" and because others may have the same question:

How many submissions is each contestant allowed?

GBSteve

As many as you like although we might not read all of them if you send in more than 10. Also, each one should be a separate entry (even if a series of postcards would make for a nice way of presenting a scenario, but that's for another day).

cjearkham
a series of postcards would make for a nice way of presenting a scenario

That would be a postcard campaign, no?

trevlix

So I got one of the postcards I was going to use today and saw that it had already been written on, although not postmarked. The majority of the writing is in pencil so I should be able to remove it, but there is some that is in ink. Any thoughts on how I can safely remove the ink? I'd prefer not to use something like white out and am hoping that when I erase the pencil the ink will magically disappear too.

GBSteve

You could paste a piece of paper over the offending text if it's too big. I don't have a problem with alterations to the back.

Noble

Just to say what a great idea, and thanks for running it for the rest of us a competion :D

I have come across a number of postcards, and come up with a number of one-off games for the back. I will be sending them off as soon as I can. As a teaser one of the games is titled Mr Twinkle Toes!

PoC

We receive the first entry in the Postcard Scenario competition!

postcard-090.jpg

postcard-090a.jpg

1- Bohnberger's Discovery

The horrors of Tübingen are revealed in this first entry by wus. (A little German language skill may be required. ;))

yockenthwaite

Wow! That's impressive. Must get on with mine :) I now have the reference material I need to spark off ideas for my (not intentionally chosen for this competition) postcard. So just have to produce something! Well done Wolf-Ulrich for being so quick of the mark.

Gol-Goroth

Just finished my 1st one. It took a while to get the spacing all set up, but now that I have the format worked out I should be able to knock out the other two quite easily. I hope to get all three done this morning, and have them mailed out on Tuesday.

OK... It's a couple of day's later... I have all three of my entries ready for mailing. One quick trip to the post office and they are off.

trevlix

Just curious, but what size font is everyone using? I'm trying to find a balance between having the right size and too small to read.

GBSteve

The one that was sent in seems to manage this well. Check out Paul's postcard thread.

trevlix

Just sent mine in. Some fun facts I learned about sending postcards from the US to UK:

- Postcards must have 2 and 1/8 inches of space on the right-side for addressing.

- Postcards going from the US to the UK require $0.98 of stamps. Fortunately, you can buy a $0.98 stamp.

Gol-Goroth

Yeah, mine were the same... .98 cents. And each card was roughtly $1. Where did you guys score your cards?

trevlix
Yeah, mine were the same... .98 cents. And each card was roughtly $1. Where did you guys score your cards?

ebay. :)

GBSteve

I found my card on a stall in Covent Garden.

Kightofhagan

Mine came from a local country style Buffet/Hotel/Giftshop. Not a great selection of subjects, but it stretched my creativity.

yockenthwaite

Mine was bought in a sportswear shop in Dundee. I didn't even know about the competition then and bought it as a general postcard, but it will be good for the competition.

EDIT: Actually correction, it was a mill shop. So jumpers, outdoor clothing (that's where I'm getting muddled with sportswear), woolly scarves etc. They had a few postcards on a birly thing outside the door, and that's where I found mine.