SimonRogers

Bookhounds Limited Edition Ephemera Thread

SimonRogers

When you've got your limited edition, this is the place to let us know your secret word, report your goodies, some of which may gives hints to the mysterious death of Augustus Darcy.

tutunaku

Does it come in a plastic zip bag? If so mine is a small aluminium square; the front has leaves and the back has what appear to be the letters D Y N.

Jeff_Campbell

My "Bookhounds of London" is inscribed 'ABOMINATION'. There are no letters on the back of my square talisman? "US' is written on the front of the manila envelope in pencil. Inside there is tourist souvenir from Pompei of 32 black and white photos on a long fold-out. A chapbook entitled, "Man in the Making; An Introduction to Anthropology" by R. R. Marett.There are two uninscribed postcards, one is a Christmas card image of a horse-drawn wagon bearing a man and sticks down a snowy road, apparently named, "Wonderful White Winter", and the other is a photo of six people standing in front of a brick building, and there is no description on the back, only the usual marking of where to put the address, communication, and stamp. There is an undecipherable pencil mark, which I interpret to be a price.

Jeff_Campbell

The 5-leafed sprig does seem to share a topology with the elder sign from Lovecraft's letters.

dougwinter

I have an Atlas of the world; part of a map of london from westminster down to clapham with strange circular patterns cut out of it; a receipt for dyeing silk from the Longfield Dyeworks dated Apr 8th 1932 and some coins: a 1916 british penny, a 1946 ha'penny, a 1925 Austrian 10 Groshen, a 1930 Austrian 2 Groshen, a 1926 british penny, a 1930 farthing and a coin I am unable to identify.

My secret word is INEXPLICABLE.

Here's the map with the cutouts:

IMG_20110707_133837.jpg

SimonRogers

@dougwinter "A 1946 ha'penny"?

Oops!

I mean, "A coin from the future? What can that signify?"

PoC

A set just arrived at Innsmouth House. (Click on the images to see larger versions.)

bookhounds-ltd-package.jpg

The package arrives.

bookhounds-ltd-stachel.jpg

Opening up the packaging reveals the satchel marked "Darcy".

bookhounds-ltd-stachel-contents.jpg

Opening the satchel.

bookhounds-ltd-contents-revealed.jpeg

Contents of the satchel.

bookhounds-ltd-named-edition.jpg

This name of this edition is: Chthonic.

bookhounds-ltd-ephemera.jpeg

A look at some of the ephemera.

dougwinter
@dougwinter "A 1946 ha'penny"?

Oops!

I mean, "A coin from the future? What can that signify?"

It gets even more mysterious all by itself! :D

PoC

A couple more photos.

bookhounds-ltd-small-items.jpeg

Some of the smaller ephemera: Coins (Austrian, 1925, 10 Groshcen | British Penny, 1913, | British Shilling, 1932 |Middle Eastern [Arabian?] coin)

Also a cloth-backed badge, which reads: "O YOU SONNS OF FURY, THE DOWGHTERS OF LUST".

bookhounds-ltd-bullseye-illo.jpeg

A close-up of one of the illustrations in The Bullseye, No. 58 vol. 2 (Week Ending February 27th, 1932)

The red book is: Manual of Map Reading, Photo Reading, and Field Sketching, 1929, HMSO, The War Office. Prior owner D. Young, Newton Stewart

SimonRogers

More unbagging with ephemera:

PoC
Here's the map with the cutouts:

IMG_20110707_133837.jpg

I wonder if the little "badge" I have (written upon a map background) would fit in one of those holes...?

bookhounds-ltd-small-items.jpeg

dougwinter
I wonder if the little "badge" I have (written upon a map background) would fit in one of those holes...?

Certainly looks like it...

tutunaku
DSCN5984.jpg

Krypter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1740[/ATTACH]

Opening the satchel.

Your satchel looks very angry indeed.

>This name of this edition is: Chthonic.

Did someone get a Tartarean or Erebusite edition?

tutunaku

Mine is ULULATING

Krypter
Mine is ULULATING

Sure, but what does it say on your frontispiece? :D

Bookman

AAAAARGH, lost my post just before posting it all. Starting again sucks...

HORRENDOUS!

No, no, not the pack. That is my word.

Small change: Belgium 50 cents 1923; Austrian Groschen 1925; English farthing 1943; English Ha'penny 1921; English pennies 1912, 1915.

CAMPBELL-EVERDEN, William Preston; Freemasonry and its Etiquette; London: A. Lewis, 13 Paternoster Row, E.C., 1932.

8vo, original blue cloth, upper board lettered in gilt and stamped centrally in blind with square and compass device, spine lettered in gilt at head and at foot with imprint; pp. vi, [2 (advertisement, verso blank)], 506, [1 ('Dates Mentioned in this Work'), 7 (advertisements)]; slight rubbing and bumping of extremities, nonetheless a very good, internally fresh copy; provenance: Foyles Bookshop (bookseller's ticket on upper pastedown).

Loosely inserted is a postcard depicting Egerton Park, Bexhill-on-Sea, postmarked 11th May 1935. Seemingly innocuous it does make reference to the sender (whose name is obscured at the bottom of the card) taking 'elecution lessons' ahead of 'next Sunday's ceremony'...sent to Mr and Mrs (?)Naderer.

Ahem, sorry, the bookseller in me taking over...it may be nothing to do with the mystery (although if it is let me be the first to shout 'It's the bloody Masons Lewis!') but I shall zip through it anyway in case there is clue there, likewise I shall check any details/names against the Liber Fumo and other people's clues. I have no idea what may or may not be significant yet.

Now for the meat:100_1366.jpg

A small circle of map which looks as if it would be cut from dougwinter's map (or one quite like it, vide infra). It bears the words Walham Green and if my learned colleagues would turn to their Bookhounds coloured map plates - specifically XIV Putney and Barnes - they can find my circle in 7P and a little of 8P at the top of Eel Brook Common.

I actually don't think this is from dougwinter's map. His map seems to be the right side of XV, going up the Clapham Park Road towards Lambeth Reach which splits over X and XI at the top of his map. You can see part of a circle at the top left which suggests there are more sections of map at least going South from there.

I did have a quick look for any close significance to the symbol or the circle. I thought the three points of the shape might be for Megapolisomancy but they do not appear to point to anything significant. I had a look for anything in the Liber Fumo. There is nothing in the circle but just up above in 9O on your map you will see '55'. This is The National Laboratory of Psychical Research run by Harry Price. It seems a little way away but it is only just up the Fulham Road from Walham Green station which is smack bang in the middle of my circle. Maybe the lady moving the glass is more than she seems? I shall read the rest of the book and see if anything else might fit. I shall also zip across the Bookhounds Sarf London entries in case anything leaps out at me.

Otherwise the symbol seems vaguely familiar but that could just be my brain playing tricks. I wonder whether it is which parts of the map that are cut out which give us the hint, the symbols upon them, or what the map is like when they are left. My initial vote is massive Megapolisomancy effect using all the spots. Or some of them. Or nothing to do with that at all...

Right, I am off to read the book and see what it says about his death. Maybe I'll re-read my O'Donnell as well...this is wicked, I've never been in at the very start of one of these things before.

Bookman

I wonder if there is a reason for the mis-spelling of 'sonns' and 'dowghters', like 'Juwes' in a certain famous London incident?

Bookman

Wait don't mind me: Check out Key 14.

Mulciber

"CYCLOPEAN"

Money Talks ?:

2 x 1915 Pennies

1 x 1917 Farthing

1 x Saudi Arabian coin which is "from the future" (1972 25 Halalas/ 1/4 Riyal minted in Lahore, Pakistan)

1 x 1913 Egyptian 5/10 Qirsh of Sultan Mehmed V

1 x (as yet unidentified) arabic coin.

Other Ephemera:

1933 November issue of "Boy's Own Paper"

"Criminology" by Horace Wyndham, No. 27 in Benn's Sixpenny Library series, pamphlet first published 1928. Has the letters B (long gap) and S in pencil at the top of the frontispiece and the words "Very Good", also in pencil written beneath the one word title "Criminology".

Two Hackney Carriage licences issued to Charles Gascoigne of Killamarsh, Derbyshire in 1921 and 1938.

Circle cut from map of London and decorated by being divided by two concentric silver circles, space between coloured blue, central circle coloured green. Central circle is further decorated with a gold circle with three spokes dividing the central portion into three equal parts, each part containing one of the letters D, E or S.

The map portion shows part of Putney Bridge and the nearby footbridge at the bottom if the piece is orientated North/South One of the spokes aligns with the footbridge and therefore making the spokes form a Y within the central circle with D in the Upper portion followed clockwise by E and S. The whole portion is centred where the spokes join at Putney Bridge Underground station and is linked to Bookman's circle by the Fulham Road and the District Line with only Parson's Green Underground between them.

mudshark_baby

Here's some pics of my contents

Sorry pics are not sharp as the iphone I have has a scratched camera. The map cutout says Shepherds Green as far as I can tell and the coins are 1 farthing 1925, 1 farthing 1939, 1 One Penny 1935, 1 Belgian 50 centime piece and 2 arabic coins I can't decipher.

The preview of the pics doesn't seem to come out, so not sure why... They are published to a completely public webpage...

Fixed image links! They needed the direct image URL to display rather than the encompassing web page URL. ~PoC

[Thanks for that GBSteve]

Cheers,

post-6500-137675613485_thumb.jpg

post-6500-137675613497_thumb.jpg

post-6500-137675613506_thumb.jpg

post-6500-137675613516_thumb.jpg

GBSteve

I see you have an expandable aluminium cup, as use in the trenches, as well as a receipt from Foyles bookshop and an early edition of Scientific American with an article on eugenics.

mudshark_baby

Yes, it certainly is groovy. The receipt is from 1931 and is for some technology book.

I see you have an expandable aluminium cup, as use in the trenches, as well as a receipt from Foyles bookshop and an early edition of Scientific American with an article on eugenics.

Bookman

There are some really cool bits of ephemera in these. Now comes the fun of working out how far the clues extend...Darcy and the man who published his book boths served in the trenches didn't they? I seem to recall from the intro they met at the Somme.

mudshark_baby: Do you know where your bit of London fits?

I had a thought about the Enochian Call on PoC's circle. It mentions that the Sonns sit on '24 seats'. I wonder if there will be 24 circles each representing an entity or power with the sigil appropriate to that power. Darcy says something in the first entry about agreeing with John Evelyn that there is power in spheres and paths across the city (like Fulham Road it seems). This slooks to be building to a map of spheres. If this is the case, is the use of a key simply the classic occultist syncretism mapping an existing ritual onto a different figure - i.e. using Enochian to summon Cthulhu mythos - or is it going to be actually linked to interpretation of the keys? I only ask because I don't know a vast amount about them but I came across one reference to the 14th Key which suggests it is linked to earthquakes mentioned in the 10th Key. The Golden Dawn did a lot of work with Enochian I think. Perhaps The Brotherhood (or their shadowy enemies) are looking to awaken a destructive power beneath London.

Or in other words, business as usual in the Mythos world...

Mulciber

Has anyone else encountered any personal serendipity, coincidence or conjunction with any of the ephemera they've received?

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now