William-Tobey

Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land (Mobile Game)

PoC

The generous folks at Red Wasp Design (based out of Bristol, UK) will be doing a little sponsorship with us for the forthcoming game.

I also found out that the lead designer, Tomas Rawlings wrote the 2007 MULA monograph Dark Mirror, so already quite a history of Cthulhu love from their team.

Looks like the game's due out on both Apple and Android platforms.

JonHook

Is this game out yet? I just upgraded to an Android Incredible 2, and I looked for this game in my apps store, but it wasn't listed.

PoC

It's not out yet. You can check out Red Wasp Design's site blog to see what they're currently up to.

Pookie

Red Wasp Design, the producer of Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land just put up a

Tomas Rawlings

It's been a lot of work to get this far, but thanks to the power of kinematoscopes and the tubes of the interweb, we can bring you images of the game so far...

callofcthulhu_wl_rwd_04.png

Captain Hill faces off against the Dark Young.

callofcthulhu_wl_rwd_02.png

The investigators are surrounded by cultists and the undead.

callofcthulhu_wl_rwd_03.png

A player unit shoots at an attacking German soldier.

callofcthulhu_wl_rwd_06.png

Electronic character sheet.

More here....

Thanks.

PoC

Looks very nice indeed!

I've merged the threads to prevent split conversations about this topic.

Q-man

That does look really good. Can't wait to start blasting tentacles and undead.

WiseWolf

This looks really good.

StephanieMcAlea

will this be on Android?

Pookie

will this be on Android?

I hope so. My partner has just got used to my owning an Android tablet. Not sure that she would be happy if I had to buy an iPad, even if it was for review purposes.

GadZookFilms

I just got it today. The interface is a little clunky on my iPhone 4s (I have difficulty choosing characters, sometimes I have to tap multiple times in several places before it recognizes who I'm trying to select) but it's otherwise pretty entertaining. And hard. I haven't made it past the first level even. :) I'd imagine an iPad version would be a nice way to play as the graphics are quite nice. Anyway, anyone else had a chance to play with it yet?

Noble

I have it, I am liking it but it is a bit difficult to use the touch screen controls at times, on top of that one level has a big bug, but that will be fixed. At £3 its a really good game and if you can just pick it up!

jhorner

But really hard on the iPhone. I bet the iPad version kicks ass

Finn123

Seems well done. Very nice on the iPad. Some bugs as other have noticed. Lacks a bit of documentation. I'm only partway through the second scenario (of how many?) and it doesn't feel like CoC . . . yet at least. Hoping it gets weird soon. :)

Right now, I could recommend it for CoC fans but I've been burned before with CoC apps.

I'm more optimistic with this one though . . .

GadZookFilms

Yeah, I played Necronomicon as well. It took me a while to get the hang of it but I never felt like I was getting anywhere with it. Either extremely hard or there was a component missing. Or I just sucked at it. :)

I made it past the first battle in The Wasted Land last night and there's some character customization that was on more familiar CoC territory for me, but still not so much with the Mi-Gos and Shoggoths or loss of sanity. But looks like it's coming in later levels.

Paddurz

Not sure I think the Cthulhu Mythos feeling is there, it feels more like a shoot em up game so far. The update that some minutes ago did not impress as the game now crashes, which it did not do before the update. Mixed feelings, not that great is my summary at the moment but I've only played it a little (on an iPad2).

PoC

It seems the 1.2 update fixes many of the issues some people were experiencing.

According to Chaosium's web site an Android version is in the works, too.

Karloff
Ephemera, in which I ramble on a bit about this latest game from Red Wasp.

Nvision

I really want to like this game, getting both a decent strategy title and one steeped in the Mythos is a huge deal. However, even after the recent update, there are a lot of bits that make it feel like a pre-release beta. Controls are still hit and miss. Many times attempting to tap/hold to attack an enemy simply selects them (which seems to have no real purpose), or sends the character on a romp across the battlefield. Making purchases in the store is also a bit of a muddle. Another thing which really irks me, especially for a story-driven game, are the number of errors in the text. Things like "21th," "no time to loose," and even misspelling main character names really does the narrative a disservice.

These should be simple matters to iron out, so I'm hoping they get addressed in future updates. The art direction is very good, gameplay is pretty solid, and the story is reminiscent of my first foray into the RPG proper. This has the potential to be a fantastic game.

cpt_machine

Here is my review of the game, sorry its squashed because its been a while since I did some video editing.

[video=youtube_share;-r4BoC7T6v0]

Debauchery

Just finished playing this on the iPhone 4. Yes, some issues selecting characters with my brutish hands but I must say that it was fantastic to have Cthulhu based content in my current environment; a security posting out on a dusty road in the desert. The enemy attacks with machine guns did almost cause total SAN loss for the paramedic in the adjoining room...hehe.

I really liked the 'chanting/speech' of the 'Cthulhoids' in the final stage; very eerie.

Debauchery

On this note, does anyone know where I can source the speech of the 'Cthulhoids' from the last stage of the game? It would be a welcome addition to my sound archives.