Sign in to follow this  
DystopianCollective

WWII Call of Cthulhu Campaign

vonkeitz

Good points, it's all how the Keeper sets it up. But in a wartime situation, I still think it would be tough to avoid a small shoot-out escalating into a really big one. I just don't enjoy running those kinds of things, but I'll try to keep an open mind and look forward to seeing the supplement.

CuCuhulain

First off, I would second Gils background references, and his comment about Declare. There are tremendous number of options, from short in and out Special Ops raids through to longer espionage or garrison based campaigns. Either way there are a number of existing scenarios (up to MoN) that could be modified.

It is worth remembering that most soldiers spent large chunks of their service either out of the line or on quiet sectors, many with real CoC potential. The British were all over Africa, Asia and the Pacific. A lot of scenaros in East Africa could move to war time (WW1 as well as WW2) and draw in section or squad sized garrison units, for example. Americans ended up as small garrisons or look-outs on islands, or as landing parties. Germans had quiet wars in places like Norway and most of the time in occupied countries. The Russian partisan campaigns were often very isolated and up against often equally isolated German police and second line units

A classic setting has got to be North Africa, down in the deep Sahara (The English Patient?), miles from any help, weird pre-Egyptian sites etc - potential for BTMOM levels of isolation...

Also second the Nazi thread in Atrocity Archives, it has the potential to be a really dark campaign, especially if you take the Germans. Check out Aktion T4 and Aktion Reinhardt whose members really were fighting their own, terrible, secret 'war' answerable only to Reinhardt Heydrich and Himmler. Considering Himmler's obsession with the occult an equivalent or off-shoot operation would be a fearsome opponent even for German characters.

My personel favourites for obscure but remarkable settings are the Cockleshell Heroes (commandoes in kayaks - meeting the Deep Ones??) and society deb Ursula Graham Bower who studied and lived with the Naga tribesmen in Burma and led them against the Japanese in World War II, which is just crying out for an encounter with the Tcho-Tcho.

kin242

I found this book really useful when I was writing my scenario:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nazis-Occult-Forces-Unleashed-Third/dp/0785823085/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303454778&sr=8-1-fkmr0

I used Weird Wars II 2nd edition too and agree on that! Other sources- wikipedia, a european upbringing so I actually had history lessons after the age of 10, Delta Green, fiends of the western front (classic 2000AD strip), frequent trips to Bavaria and Northern Germany (on the ground location research rocks!)

This was very useful too as I used it as the finale location: http://www.amazon.com/History-Eagles-Nest-complete-Mountain/dp/3922590772

Syrinx

Where Condors Dare

Briefing transcript:

DELTA GREEN / EYES ONLY

DEPARTMENT OF WAR

OFFICE OF STRATEGIC SERVICES

Washington, D.C.

6 OCT 45

SUBJECT: Transcript of Mission Briefing, Operation CONDOR, 19 JAN 45

THE FOLLOWING IS A TRANSCRIPT OF THE MISSION BRIEFING GIVEN TO STRIKE FORCE JULIET, OPERATION CONDOR, ON 19 JAN 45 AT AAF BASE CERIGNOLA, ITALY.

COL. WESTBROOK: At ease. I apologize for bringing you in so soon after your last mission, but this comes from the top. Last November, Dr. Alexiy Semenovich Krylov fell into Kraut hands. He worked for GRU SV-8, our Soviet counterpart. He was investigating

documents left behind by retreating Nazis when he was caught in a counter-attack.

Through ULTRA intercepts we recently discovered that Dr. Krylov was taken to Nadabaum Castle, in the Bavarian Alps, in early December. We don't know what the Nazis are doing with him, but we can assume that it's not pleasant.

Nadabaum Castle is a Karotechia stronghold. We know little about it, except that the castle has been fortified and altered over the last three years. We can't bomb the castle because it is on the side of a narrow valley, with a convent and an orphanage below it.

The war will soon be over. We know it, and the Krauts know it. ULTRA intercepts suggest that the Karotechia will not go down without a fight. We fear that they may try some sort of "scorched earth" strategy in the dying days of the Reich.

Your mission is to infiltrate Nadabaum Castle, rescue Dr. Krylov, and uncover the Karotechia's plans. If possible, you are to destroy Nadabaum Castle, though getting out with Krylov and any information is your top priority.

You will fly out on the first clear night on board a B-24 Liberator from this air base. You will parachute into a relatively clear plateau five miles from the castle. You will enter the castle and execute your mission objectives.

After you complete your objectives, make your way down the slope to Nadabaum village. There you will find a boat left for you by Italian partisans working in the mountains. Take the boat up river to a nearby lake. Fire a red flare and a Catalina flying boat will pick you up.

Unfortunately, we don't have reinforcements to make up for casualties on your last mission. However, the Soviets are sending a GRU SV-8 operative to aid in the rescue of Dr. Krylov. Captain Ivanova Stepanovna Kovalenko is arriving this evening. She is one of

their top agents, fluent in German and knowledgeable in arcane lore. She will also act as your medic. If anyone has any objections to working with a woman, speak up now.

Good. I can't stress how important this mission is. The Karotechia are capable of anything. Now that the Krauts are cornered, they are more dangerous than ever.

Good luck, and Godspeed.

DELTA GREEN / EYES ONLY

Maybe worth reading and using for a one-shot?

/Dave

trevlix

Thats based off the movie Where Eagles Dare - an awesome movie and a must see for anyone doing any WWII scenario. I loosely based my scenario Where Byakhees Dare on it as well.

WiseWolf

Gil mentioned Godlike, and I keep reading on reviews that it's got an excellent timeline for WW2, and is filled of background info. Does anyone else has it? I've been tempted by Godlike and if I ever use a non-Cthulhu game with my friends, this might be it.

Pookie
Gill mentioned Godlike, and I keep reading on reviews that it's got an excellent timeline for WW2, and is filled of background info. Does anyone else has it? I've been tempted by Godlike and if I ever use a non-Cthulhu game with my friends, this might be it.

I have Godlike, and have reviewed most of the books -- currently reading Black Devils Brigade to review. Plus I have written the one scenario for it, which was fun to do because I asked myself what the weirdest thing you could see in Normandy on D-Day and answered it with, "An elephant!"

Godlike is fairly gritty and hard in terms of rules and its approach to both World War II and superheroes. The default setting casts the player characters as very low powered superheroes given commando training. So you might powers or talents such as having your lost arm replaced by an invisible telekinetic version, going to sleep and sending your bones off to fight for you, and being able to open any lock purely by pointing. Honestly, the best thing that you can do is go download the free scenarios and support for the game (available here) to get an idea.

WiseWolf
I have Godlike, and have reviewed most of the books

Heading to Rlyeh Reviews, then. Thanks, Pokie. On regards of support material for WW II campaign, how would you rate Godlike the core book? Taking under account that WW II aficionados like must people here, will only need to fill some gaps.

Pookie
Heading to Rlyeh Reviews, then. Thanks, Pokie. On regards of support material for WW II campaign, how would you rate Godlike the core book? Taking under account that WW II aficionados like must people here, will only need to fill some gaps.

Thanks, but most of my earlier Godlike appeared elsewhere, so I cannot post them there.

The rule book is fairly well detailed in terms of history, background, and equipment, clearly marking where the history diverges, and that rarely. The other book I would suggest looking at is Weird War II, which is for Savage Worlds, and so plugs into Realms of Cthulhu. It comes with a mini-campaign and is more of an overview than anything else because it tries to cover a lot of information.

malcojones
Thats based off the movie Where Eagles Dare - an awesome movie and a must see for anyone doing any WWII scenario. I loosely based my scenario Where Byakhees Dare on it as well.

Yes, that's in the DNA of Thracian Gold (in Shadows of War). Parachuting in behind enemy lines without knowing all the objectives is a good way to get anxiety kicking in even without the mythos elelments.

Best, malcojones.

Graham

If anyone is looking for a really obscure corner of the war, there is the final campaigns of the First Australian Army in the South-West Pacific.

Launched for reasons no one is entirely clear on, the operations on Bougainville (II Corps), New Britain (5th Division) & New Guinea (6th Division) saw Australian troops take on Japanese units that had by this point in the war decided to hunker down and wait for the general counter-offensive.

Conditions were harsh, supplies short and madness lurked around every corner.

A good summary reference can be found in the book "The Unnecessary War: Island Campaigns in the South-West Pacific 1944-45" by Peter Charlton.

Another can be found here: (Australia's War: The Last Battles)

The official history of the campaigns can be found at the Australian War Memorial Website in PDF form:

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/second_world_war/volume.asp?levelID=67909

SquibblyDibbly

World War Two is the one campaign setting I'd really like to see developed more than any other. Can I ask what is holding up the publishing of "Our Darkest Hour" ? The website only says that the material was being used elsewhere, but that was back in 2003 and nothing has appeared since.

Are contributions still needed for this sourcebook ? What would be more useful, rules and background material or scenarios ?

Agent_Bluescale

I've wanted to run a multi-agency game during the closing of WW2. Essentially the Allied Forces are moving across Europe into Berlin. Meanwhile, in secret, Pisces, Delta Green, M-Epic (I forget when they were formed) and GRU-SV8 meet. They agree to form their own alliance, one that is largely a secret from their superiors. They will follow along behind the German's wake and keep an eye out for any Karotechia experiments. Their mission is to find these labs, stockpiles and ritual sites and make sure that none of it falls into the wrong hands. Of course each group has their own agenda and the Karotechia refuse to go without a fight.

Gil_Trevizo

In 1997, I find out about Delta Green. I realize that WWII would make a great setting for a campaign, and start a website devoted to that, because that's what you do in the mid-90s. Shortly thereafter Dennis Detwiller announces Our Darkest Hour on the DGML. I shutter the website and wait for the book...

Much much later, a fan project called Kurotokage, a book on Japan for Delta Green, develops on Yahoogroups. I realize that something similar might be useful for research monkey-work on ODH, which already seems stuck in development hell. I bring it up with the Paganistas: John Tynes, Scott Glancy, and Dennis. Somehow, this changes from "research work" into "writing the book itself," but only as a fan project.

I create the DGWW2 yahoogroups to discuss the setting and a separate group to create material for ODH. Interested parties are recruited, an outline is written, which Scott looks over and okays, work is assigned, and... nothing. I keep developing material, doing research, etc. The vast majority of that work is on background material, which becomes dense.

Around the time between The Black Seal and Worlds of Cthulhu, Adam Crossingham and I make a more concentrated effort, but things peter out there too.

Last year, Shane Ivey contacts me about what's been written for ODH. I give him what I've got in terms of the outline and a rough draft for the OSS/Delta Green chapter. I keep working on stuff, with renewed effort.

Earlier this year, I talk to Scott Glancy about ODH. I share the rough draft of the OSS/Delta Green chapter with him. I keep working away.

As mentioned above, both Scott and Shane are interested in producing ODH. I've been told I'm not the only one working on it, and I've never worked on it in an official capacity (no contract has been signed or anything like that).

Delta Green is the best book ever written for Call of Cthulhu. Our Darkest Hour not only has to be as good, but as original and a fully-developed setting in its own right. I started out doing this as a research monkey, because that's my background (history degree), and I've had to develop whatever skills I have as a writer over the course of the project. It is and has been a very daunting task.

The subject itself is also vast. It took awhile to focus away from WWII as a whole to the sub-genre of espionage. I've also had to expand what I know to not only include the WWII period but the interwar period and beyond. Because the periods are much closer than the modern era, I've had to develop not only background for OSS/Delta Green, but also pre-war P Division, and the same goes for pre-war material on the Karotechia, Genyosha, PISCES, and SMERSH. When I spent (too much) time on developing a chronology, I went back as far as 1855 based on all the pre-war background. When I started all this, I hadn't even read all of Lovecraft's stories, and had to educate myself in the Mythos as well. I also wasn't a fully-experienced Keeper (I read Delta Green before I bought Call of Cthulhu), so my focus has been diverted by running games and campaigns.

I feel like there is now more momentum behind ODH than at any other point since I wrote that postscript in December 2003. I don't know everything that Scott and Shane are planning, so all I can speak to is what work I've done. There's a rough draft of the OSS/Delta Green chapter, and I've got a similar amount of material to form drafts for the Karotechia, PISCES, Genyosha, and SMERSH chapters. In terms of rules, that's ridiculously easy to develop and I've also got plenty of material there as well. As for scenarios, I've already developed and run WWII Delta Green scenarios, but that's never been my focus, as the outline was jam-packed as it is.

And that's all I know. I would contact Shane or Scott for more information.

SquibblyDibbly

Thanks for the update Gil - even if its not been published yet I for one appreciate anyone putting work into this project and I'd definitely buy any sourcebook released on the subject.

Cosmoline
I've wanted to run a multi-agency game during the closing of WW2. Essentially the Allied Forces are moving across Europe into Berlin

I like that idea. The end of the war, with the alliances shifting, millions of refugees, vast ruined cities and wasted countryside would be an ideal setting. IMHO *THE* ideal setting. Putting it in the midst of the war itself risks too much of a shift over to the war itself. Plus the good/bad lines are a little too clear. The potential for dramatic moral ambiguity increases, along with the mystery, as the war winds down. Perhaps more importantly you no longer have huge armies clashing, which are kind of attention hogs. On a practical level, calling in an airstrike or an artillery bombardment is no longer a viable option. The big guns are being mothballed and the bulk of the military forces are wrapping up. Even investigators in uniform with rank may find themselves on their own.

heresiarch

The NSA has declassified another volume of the Cryptologic History of the United States. This time it is series IV WW II Volume 3 or to give it its more useful subtitle German Clandestine Activities in South America in World War II written in 1989 by David P. Mowry.

As well as declassification stamps from 2009, it bears this wonderful legend:

This document is classified TOP SECRET UMBRA in its entirety and can not be used as a source for derivative classification decisions.

73 pages of anecdotes and photographs, that are just crying out to be incorporated as source material or inspiration into your WW II (and post WW II) campaigns. All your favourite tropes:

• Nazis in South America - check
  • secret stashes of stuff including diamonds (and needles, lots of needles) - check
  • Portable radios used by Nazi Agents - check
  • US military agents in Ecuador trying to track down the Nazi baddies - check

And the best part, the NSA have put the PDF on-line:

http://www.nsa.gov/public_info/_files/cryptologic_histories/german_clandestine_activities.pdf

nickedwardscru

I need to run a ww2 oneshot in a couple of weeks and am a bit stuck. There are a few variations on Where Eagles Dare involvig stopping a summoning which I'm not that excited about, Shadows of War doesn't seem that loved (but it would be good to hear from people who liked it) and I'm playing No Mans Land rpol so can't read it....and I dont have time to write anything.

So what I really would likes either pointers to ww2 scenarios or ideas about how to adapt existing scenaros to a ww2 setting...help gratefully received...

eternalchampion

Check this

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/docs/scenario-the-colony.pdf

Also, Shadows of war is a quite good collection. One of the scenarios is set during the Spanish Civil War though and another is not a WW2 scenario…wholly. The other two are the one-shot “goodbye Vienna” and another scenario set in the Balkans, which is not bad at all, but it will take more than one sessions.

There is also an adventure in “fearful passages” set in the 20’s I think somewhere in the desert and involves british colonial soldiers. That one could be easily converted to a WW2 one I think. I do not remember the title and have not played it, but I think it is a fairly simple and adventurous scenario.

nickedwardscru

I have just bought Shadows of War on pdf from Chaosium and I agree that it does seem pretty strong. The Balkans one and Spanish Civil War are particularly original I thought and I think i am going to adapt the latter into a post-Normandy invasion liberation-of-France setting. As its only a one shot I'm going to cut out most of the first section and cut to the carnage.

eternalchampion

The “Spanish” one will not look that original if you watch “Apocalypse now”, or if somebody knows the book “Heart of darkness”, so if you use it better check if any of the players knows the above.

nickedwardscru

Quite but in fact I like, with a one shot, having a fairly clear source...the email to set up the session was titled 'I wanted a mission and for my sins they gave me one. When it was over I never wanted another one...' so it's going to be pretty clear. A bit of background from early Delta Green mythology, a mission to "terminate the command" of a dg agent whose "methods have become unsound" and we are good to go

BaroqueEvilEye

I'll hold my hands up to being the author of " The Spanish One..." a couple of people have commented on it being based on existing material, which I do clearly acknowledge in the "References" section. All I can say is "it seemed like a good idea at the time" - Apocalypse Now is itself based on Heart of Darkness, so I've followed Coppola and put the mission somewhere and somewhen else. Hopefully there was enough additional material to make the setting and historical background interesting and enjoyable and plenty of Mythos based mayhem to keep the investigators occupied. I think nickedwards has the right approach - make the scenario what you want it to be -change names, locations, motivations, whatever, to make it run right for you and your group. I love my creation as a mother would a small child, but not so much that I couldn't stand to see it amended to make it enjoyable for another group to run. If people have made amendents let me know in the forums or PM me to let me know how it worked for you.

All the best

Rick

eternalchampion

I have played the Spanish adventure with only a few changes and it was quite enjoyable and the players would agree with that. The fact is that I had not seen the movie or read the book at the time, but at least two of the players had. Although they did like the whole thing, in certain encounters they said things like “oh yes, I remember this guy from…” and “oh, this is from…” and the like, and I was thinking “bloody hell I should have known that…”. That said, the adventure is interesting and well researched.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this