Sign in to follow this  
Cthulhudude

Atomic Age Cthulhu - Call of Cthulhu in the 1950s - coming soon

Chad Out of Space
Were the maps originally drawn in colour then printed in black and white? I just wondered if this might account for the darkness of tone?

That's what it looks like to me. I wouldn't place blame on the map creator.

dce

As someone who creates graphics almost exclusively in colour ... can I just say that there is no direct linkage between the source image being colour and the end result being dark or indistinct. Admittedly, there is an additional step of contrast and/or brightness tweaking that is needed to get good results when including colour pics in B&W layouts. I would hypothesize that, for Atomic-Age Cthulhu, this step could probably have gone better ...

Dean (from Adelaide)

Cthulhudude

At long last I got my contributor copies of this in. As far as the layout goes, maybe I just don’t have an eye for stuff like that, but I didn’t see anything wrong with it. OK, the title font for each scenario is a bit…wonky. But to me it’s perfectly serviceable and that’s all I want it be. But then I’m a writer, not an artist, so that could just me.

As for that art and the maps being too dark; sadly some of them really, really are. Some are so dark you can’t see anything of what’s going on and that is just inexcusable. For anyone with the book, turn to page 94. That’s just unforgivable. Why pay an artist to do something and then not show what they have done? Some pics are just dark blotches and that’s a shame, because I saw most of the art before it was in this book and they sure didn’t look like this. So that is my .02 on the final product, for whatever it is worth. Hopefully some bad artistic choices won’t keep people from pickup up what is otherwise a very cool book. But then I might be a bit biased about that. :)

Aquaranger

I just have to say that my group has been enjoying the scenarios from this book!

I posted earlier that I did not care for the layout...I don't but I'm the only one who sees it in the group...

The art is a shame....Cthulhudude said it best earlier.

But again right now I have to say the book is worth it for the scenarios. My players are loving the setting and scenarios (we've played 2 thus far.)

Cthulhudude
But again right now I have to say the book is worth it for the scenarios. My players are loving the setting and scenarios (we've played 2 thus far.)

I'm happy to hear that, Aquaranger. What scenarios have you run, if you don't mind me asking?

The_Tatterdemalion_King
I'll take boring Chaosium layout over "bugs and burn marks" any day...

Well, both can be messed up. One just has less of a margin of error...

That's what it looks like to me. I wouldn't place blame on the map creator.

At some point, "How is this going to be printed?" should have been asked.

Shrike
Atomic Age Cthulhu got a generally favorable review (including "buy it" recommendation) on the latest episode of the Miskatonic University Podcast.

Of course, this review didn't say one word about the layout issues that some readers and would-be purchasers have about this book. (I fall into this camp.) I really don't know how one can call a review of this book comprehensive without addressing this issue. I like the MUP podcast but having 2-3 people tell me that they liked most of the scenarios and recommend buying the book doesn't do much for me if they don't discuss the fact that the presentation of the book is dodgy to say the least or that some of the props and maps are murky to the point of being nigh-useless . . .

I sympathize with the writers who may well have done very good work on this book, but if the layout of the book is sufficiently poor that it significantly detracts from my reading experience, as it has in this instance, I'll give this one a pass and keep buying books in the Sans-Detour style.

Fallingtower

Chaosium reminds me of Palladium with the way they've been doing their books. Both seem stuck in the 1980's layout and design-wise. Standard black and white, perfect bound with decent covers...kinda antiquated seeming. This wouldn't be so bad if Chaosium was in Palladium's price range, about $10 cheaper.

I quit buying adventure books, for the most part, a long time ago so layout and art are a big motivator for inducing me to part with my ducats.

Let's sayeth....

Fer instance...

That I was just some fresh squeezed schmoe recently bitten by the gaming bug. Hearing about all this Cthulhu stuff I cruise up to my local hobby shop to look for a gaming product to spread the disease. I've got 40 bux in my pocket and laying in front of me are both Trail and Call of Cthulhu.

Who do you think has the edge...the shiny green, globulous edge??

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this