Sign in to follow this  
Cthulhudude

Atomic Age Cthulhu - Call of Cthulhu in the 1950s - coming soon

dce
Dean your sheet is a beautiful thing (I use both your invictus and classic sheets), now if only there were a dark ages and a tudor one...that would indeed be handy ;)

Thanks Hal ... without giving away too much, there are a couple of other of my sheet designs that are out there with publishers. Neither of them cover the Dark Ages or Tudor England -- the closest is the Colonial Lovecraft Country sheet (which is perhaps the most detailed design I have done yet).

I did think for a while about how I would attack a Dark Ages sheet ... I think I ended up concluding I would probably need to do two different sheets: one with a Monastic look to it (maybe inspired by illuminated manuscripts, however that might work) and another one with a more runic Viking look. Suffice to say I haven't yet done either. But maybe one day :-)

Dean (from Adelaide)

piousagustus

So when will a review of this be up? I really want to get it but I can't justify the expense without getting more information.

KneelBeforeZod

I would love to order this and terror from the skies, but the Chaosium site keeps reverting to the wrong shipping address no matter what I do, including trying different browsers.

Cthulhudude

Maybe try calling and complaining, or at the very least, let them know that something is hinky with their online system. I'm not saying that anything will come from it, like them fixing it, but at least someone there should be able to take your order down or at the very least make sure your books get sent to the right address. I mean, it's not too far out of the realm of possibilities to expect a company to do that, right? Anyway, it's just a thought. You can find their phone number on the contact us page of their website.

skaye
So when will a review of this be up? I really want to get it but I can't justify the expense without getting more information.

With the proviso that it will be some time before I actually run any of the scenarios, and scenarios often differ in play from how they read, I'll try to have something up this weekend.

Cthulhudude

Here is the first review of Atomic Age Cthulhu that I have seen. It is very long and detailed, but it sums up with this statement: “Atomic Age Cthulhu is an exceptionally well done piece.†That always puts a smile on my face. :)

But if I could critique the critic for the second, while he liked my scenario, he wonders why I used a Sherman tank and not a bigger "more common" one. I beleive someone else asked that same question here some months back. Well for two reasons. First, my dad was a tank commander in the Korean war and he commanded a Sherman. Second, while bigger and "better" tanks were available (The Pershing didn't have a long life as it was both under powered and mechanically unreliable) the Sherman was still the backbone of the US/UN armor at the time. Now that's a minor thing, I admit it, and one I really don't give a wit about in the grand scheme of things, but as someone who also does his fair share of reviews, if you are going to specifically call out something to criticize in a review, then you had better have your facts straight. Oh well, that nitpick aside, he really likes the book and that’s all that matters.

http://diehardgamefan.com/2013/02/22/tabletop-review-atomic-age-cthulhu-call-of-cthulhu/

Skyman

IMO That (reviewer's)observation sounded a bit (wiki) nit pick about the tank and didn't make much sense at first but I think, in the end (after closer reading), the intent was to advocate for the investigators to have either a newer model tank or add weapons to the M4 because whatevar you cooked up in that scenario is fricken off the SCALE! You know if the keeper gives you a tank (any type) at the beginning of a CoC scenario you are pretty much being handed the coffin in which your characters are going to lay to rest/permanently go insane in...just sayin' (captain obvious here). OMG on just that (scary) implication alone makes me curious what is going on in that scenario.

Cthulhudude

Very bad things, Skyman, very bad things. :)

rylehNC
But if I could critique the critic for the second, while he liked my scenario, he wonders why I used a Sherman tank and not a bigger "more common" one. I beleive someone else asked that same question here some months back. Well for two reasons. First, my dad was a tank commander in the Korean war and he commanded a Sherman.

This is a good thing to note in designer's notes, if there was such a place for them.

thewoozle

Picked up a copy of Atomic Age and I have to say the writing is really impressive and the speculation was right about the FORGOTTEN WARS and LA DIABOLICAL looking really good. I liked the line "Should the Tankers have to leave the Sherman, they have the following equipment". I can see THAT debate taking players at least an hour... All of the stories feel just like watching an old 'B' movie on late-night TV. The artwork is also top-notch and also keeps a very 'noir' feel to it.

High Octane might actually be the most fun to play, with 1950's 'greasers' versus the reptile people... though it's hard to beat Gordo the psychic space monkey!

The book is very much more about B-movies than 'nuclear horrors'. I was delighted to see the 'UFO-lore' skill added :razz:. My only nit-pick though is that the 1950s specific information isn't all in the 1950s sourcebook chapter, but that's not such a big deal. I'm hoping that the mythical 7th edition book will include it as an 'era'. I was kinda surprised that the book was very light on atomic bomb effects (though the list of ordinance was interesting reading). That's understandable though because like Cthulhu, an atomic bomb would rarely actually enter the game.

Closing my book, I noticed one last thing... I love the way the writers are listed on the cover, very chic. I think David Mitchell deserves special credit for his most excellent layout and period-esque look-and-feel

Cthulhudude

David Mitchel was an ace. Easily the best person I have ever worked with from the Chaosium side of things in all my years of doing CoC stuff. So much so that when I sent in the last book I oversaw (Doors to Darkness) I asked for him to be put in charge of bringing that baby out. Sadly, ho no longer works for Chaosium. That is a damn travesty.

trevlix

I finally picked up the book yesterday and am slowly working my way through it (starting with the 50s info first). So far, I'm really enjoying it.

One question - it looks as if the resources in the back of the book were cut off? Am I wrong on that? It starts with part of a website and has no movie references, which it appears it should. (I know there are movie's in the informational section.)

Cthulhudude
One question - it looks as if the resources in the back of the book were cut off? Am I wrong on that? It starts with part of a website and has no movie references, which it appears it should. (I know there are movie's in the informational section.)

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about, because I have yet to get my contributor copies. :( But as soon as I do, I'll take a look and let you know.

dce
I finally picked up the book yesterday and am slowly working my way through it (starting with the 50s info first). So far, I'm really enjoying it.

Well my dead-tree copy arrived yesterday (here in Australia) ... ah, the benefits of NOT getting a contributor copy :0)

I can see what you mean Trevlix ... the very last page (p224) is titled "Recommended Websites, Movies and Books about the decade" but only contains lists of Websites and Books. If it's any consolation I checked the PDF version and it's exactly the same.

Can I conjecture that the list of 1950s movies was moved -- perhaps to become the "Notable Sci-Fi Movies of the Fifties" box on p195? I guess even then the heading on p224 should have been updated to remove the reference to movies. But I'm only guessing ...

Dean (from Adelaide)

trevlix

dce I am guessing you are correct, but it looks like the first website is cut off too.

I'm nitpicking here of course, so far I'm loving the book.

Gol-Goroth
... though it's hard to beat Gordo the psychic space monkey!

THANK YOU! Sheesh, at least somebody out there liked poor little Gordo.

Cthulhudude

For those interested, there is a very good doc about the hell that was the “police action†of the Korean War on NetFlix right now. It’s called Chosin and I highly recommend it if anyone wishes to run anything set during this forgotten war.

vonkeitz

I'll have to pick it up. I love the 1950s era for Cthulhu, and My "Gathering of Minds" adventure takes place in 1950 and is probably my best... I ran it at GenCon in 2007. I wish I knew about the project sooner and could have tried to get onboard. I'm a writer-editor by profession.

Pookie

Esdevium Games has it listed on its latest release sheet and so it will be out next week.

ShadowDenizen

Been a good week for the Mythos here in the Boston & Cambridge, MA [uSA]!

Between [PLUG!] Pandemonium Games and Compleat Strategist, I picked up not only "Tales of the Sleepless City", but also "Folklore", "Bumps in the Night' (Not sure how that was on shelves; I historically NEVER see Pagan stuff in this area for some reason!), "Out of Space" [the ToC scneario complilation), and Yes, "Atomic Age Cthulhu."

I'm eagerly awaiting tearing into it, but I think AAC will have to take pride-of-place as last in line, and most looked-forward to...

Aquaranger

Well I have a physical copy in my hands and I honestly think its a mixed bag. I haven't read through everything, but it does seem like the scenarios are pretty interesting and will be fun to get to the table, but my big gripe is the layout. Here's a couple quick complaints: The font selected for the headings looks pretty bad, almost as if it was something printed off a dot matrix printer. Perhaps this was some sort of attempt to look period... Second a lot of the maps are very dark, to the point you can't even read them. I'm not sure what they are going to look like after another round of copying. The last page of recommended websites, books and such is just plain sloppy. I would have to wonder if this is old version that somehow made it to the printer. I mean come on, who needs a amazon link that takes up 5 lines of text? Why don't you just give me the title of the book. Also is it really necessary to put "Wikipedia" as a place to find information?

These points aside I'm still excited by the book, but at that price point look what I can get from other publishers. Sloppy sloppy sloppy. Also as I'm flipping through it again I found a piece of art that you can't even make out whats going on in the picture. pg. 94

Cthulhudude

I STILL have yet to get my copies (grumble, grumble) so I cannot speak to how the layout or maps look. As for last that page of recommended websites or whatever, that is something someone on Chaosium's end added. Not that doing something like that isn't a good idea, I just wish they had run it by me first, or at least let me know about it. It was not in the final draft I sent to them and I'm curious to see it because someone else said that it looked cut off or half finished. Still, I'm happy you seem to like the actual written content of the book.

JonHook

I'm currently reading through the book in order to do a spoiler-free review on the Miskatonic University Podcast. Hopefully sometime soon. I am slow and befuddled, so I got that holding me back. :)

Aquaranger
Still, I'm happy you seem to like the actual written content of the book.

You are correct. While I haven't read everything, what I have read has been very good, and I am itching to get some atomic cthulhu on the table. Any failings thus far are from the production end, and perhaps the printers.

dce
THANK YOU! Sheesh, at least somebody out there liked poor little Gordo.

GORDO ROCKS! Finally a CoC villain who has some real brains :-)

[you can see how far my reading of Atomic Age has progressed to date ... but all of the scenarios I've read so far have been pretty solid]

Dean (from Adelaide)

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this