Sign in to follow this  
Cthulhudude

Atomic Age Cthulhu - Call of Cthulhu in the 1950s - coming soon

Cthulhudude

Well I like them all, naturally. :) Forgotten Wars is sort of a tribute to my father who commanded a Sherman tank in the "forgotten war" known as Korea. His vaguely remembered stories about the horrors of the Korean conflict seemed like a good place to drop in a little Cthulhu Mythos. Besides, when do you ever get the chance to cruse around in a honest to goodness tank in CoC?

Fallingtower

I didn't know the Sherman's were used in Korea...I thought they were mothballed for the newer Peshings and Pattons.

I shall be picking this book up for sure....I've always wanted to mow down a human wave with a M4 equipped with a flamethrower.

Cthulhudude
I didn't know the Sherman's were used in Korea...I thought they were mothballed for the newer Peshings and Pattons.

Nope, the little steel workhorses kept going and going and going and... In fact here is a pic of one in action in Korea; http://www.americanmilitaryhistorymsw.com/blog/568491-the-american-theory-and-practice-of-war-iii/ Also note that caption that says: "It’s difficult to understand how a war that resulted in so many casualties was so easily forgotten, but that seems to be the case for the Korean War (June 1950-July 1953). Although the Koreans and Chinese suffered the most casualties, it is still important to remember that more than 36,000 Americans died and nearly 100,000 were wounded."

trevlix

Somehow, I _just_ noticed this: The Atomic Beast - a free PDF from Chaosium. Is this a preview of things to come?

Pookie
Somehow, I _just_ noticed this: The Atomic Beast - a free PDF from Chaosium. Is this a preview of things to come?

Thank you for pointing that out.

Cthulhudude

Since as far as I know no one who worked on this project has yet to to read it, I would have to say no. But it could be really cool, and as I've said many times over, I think the 50s is a great time for CoC investigation. So if this adds to the setting, so much the better.

StuartB

Going to be some huge interest in this!

And if 'This Village was Made for Us' is the sort of scenario I think it could be... it's going to be a corker! :D

ZodiaK

As for the 1950ies music, I had a thread in the german forum some years ago. It was part of some brainstorming about a 1950ies setting:

http://www.cthulhu-forum.de/thread.php?threadid=6889&boardid=14&sid=e78bb979796c8601ae2cc4e3d4e9def4&page=1

We might try something similar here. It was a kind of game (I would have to translate the rules) resulting in filling up a jukebox with authentic 1950ies singles.

ratspiral

Has anyone ran the Atomic Best adventure yet? I skimmed through it and I must say that I'm very excited about this era. It may sound pulpy, but I love the idea of Greasers taking on some Mi-Go (how much damage would a switch blade comb do?) ;)

svaragog

Looking forward to this book, will be a nice addition to my ever expanding Cthulhu collection.

Svaragog

konsumterra

as someone mentioned the monolith monsters - Kronos 1957 is good aetheist horror/sf - i also wondered if it inspired marvel comics galactus - a cold inevitable thing - with psychic thralls and madmen servants- not quite just an alien machine

looking fwd 2 this one

only a short hop to early 60s and Madmen style chainsmoking and drink driving

also inspired to steal from 4issue series of martian manhunter where aliens encourage suburban development to farm humans - even a few twilight zone/outer limits episodes

ZodiaK

Some years ago I used that great 1950ies moonshine-movie "Thunder Road" with Robert Mitchum as inspiration to create a boardgame.

(Movielink: http://www.imcdb.org/movie_52293-Thunder-Road.html)

In the game you would be one of several moonshiners in the 1950ies who buys and runs illegal distilleries and hires cars to smuggle your booze, dodging the cops, rivaling criminals and militant teetolars, while you can upgrade the cars and sabotage the competion. The game mechanism is rather simple. I copied the style and color of the graphics from authentic illustrations on our 1957 seeburg-jukebox. If you are interested to use the game somehow for the scenario, just send me a mail.

Moonshine01.jpg

Moonshine02.jpg

Cthulhudude

In an attempt to keep you all up to date on A.A.C., I just got a call today from Chaosium about art assignments. Hmm, I think that is the first time they have ever called me about anything. Anyway, art is starting to get done for this as we speak so it should be out soonish (I hope). Yay, can't wait to see it in the flesh...er...paper.

Cthulhudude

Hey everyone,

Got some art back for my scenario “Forgotten Wars†for the upcoming A.A.C. book. The illustration for the final showdown in the adventure is amazing! But as it’s from the climax of the scenario, I can’t show it to you. :( However, HERE is a little something from “Forgotten Wars†that shouldn’t give too much away. I hope. Isn’t this little fella a cutie? The very talented artist who did this is Alberto Bontempi.

Skyman

very nice...I feel that way in the morning too

Tigger_MK4
Posted today: http://www.chaosium.com/article.php?story_id=516

Teeheehee. I really can't wait for this.

Its certainly on my "to buy" list as well....

I notice that a certain notary of the community has ended up in a mi-go cylinder...at least thats what i conclude from his billing as "BRAIN Sammons"....

trevlix

Any updates on this?

Chad Out of Space

Need. This. Book.

JonHook
Need. This. Book.

Ditto.

Cthulhudude
Any updates on this?

I’ve seen some “final†proofs for the scenarios and the cover for this. I’ve heard from Charlie at Chaosium that this should be “coming soon†but exactly when that will be, I have no clue. Rest assured that when I get some concrete information I’ll share it here.

Cthulhudude
I notice that a certain notary of the community has ended up in a mi-go cylinder...at least thats what i conclude from his billing as "BRAIN Sammons"....

Compliment or Chaosium's usual high proofing standards? You decide.

Cthulhudude

For those who want more 1950s mythos horror, Chaosium will also be releasing a fiction anthology as a companion piece for the RPG book. If you like reading Lovecraftian stories as much as you like playing Lovecraftian games, you may want to check it out. It’s called (surprise, surprise) Atomic Age Cthulhu (with a subtitle to follow) and just check out this lineup.

“Bad Reception†by Jeffrey Thomas

“Fallout†by Sam Stone

“Little Curly†by Neil Baker

“It Came to Modesto†by Ed Erdelac

“The Romero Transference†by Josh Reynolds

“Within the Image of the Divine†by Bear Weiter

“Names on the Black List†by Robert Price

“Yellow is the Color of the Future†by Jason Andrew

“Eldritch Lunch†by Adam Bolivar

“The Terror That Came to Dounreay†by William Meikle

“Professor Patriot and the Doom that Came to Niceville†by Christine Morgan

“Fears Realized†by Tom Lynch

“Unamerican†by Cody Goodfellow

“The Preserved Ones†by Christopher M. Geeson

“Rose-Colored Glasses†by Michael Szymanski

“Day the Music Died†by Charles Christian

“Putnam’s Monster†by Scott T. Goudsward

“Operation Switch†by Peter Rawlik

“The End of the Golden Age†by Brian M. Sammons & Glynn Owen Barrass

trevlix

Seriously...just take my money now.

WiseWolf

I really look forward to the RPG release. Any ideas Cthulhudude? Has Chaosium come back to you on any ET?

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this