Sign in to follow this  
Cthulhudude

Atomic Age Cthulhu - Call of Cthulhu in the 1950s - coming soon

Cthulhudude
If you must watch MANOS, do find the MST3K version.

I could not agree more. Not only is that the only way to stomach that film, it is (IMHO) one of the best MST3Ks ever.

thE MASteR woUlD nOt ApprOvE of combaT-bAsEd RPgS.

Testify, Torgo, testify!

Xipuloxx

Ah, Quatermass and the Pit. Wonderful. All three original Quatermass stories are great, actually. And a strong influence on my other main fandom, Doctor Who.

If you've only seen the movie version of Q&TP, though, it's worth seeing the original TV version -- nearly twice the length, but never drags. Much creepier than the film, and quite wonderful.

Also worth checking out is Hammer's film "X the Unknown", which they wanted to make as a Quatermass movie, but Nigel Kneale refused permission for the character to be used.

I've never seen Manos, but its reputation precedes it! 8-O

Badger

Ain't seen Manos, but from what I hear, yer on yer own there, mate.

Oh, you're missing out on an absolute classic.

And C-Dude, this is wonderful news. Not only for the book itself, but that i'm extremely happy that you're back to writing again; your presence has been missed.

-=badger

HomoLupusDomesticus
This does sound cool... the 50's are a great bastion of weirdness and paranoia.

I might find it hard to keep a straight face though... and keep out the giant atomic mutants.

Same here. Which is why if I pick this up I may not use it for Mythos stuff. I'm a great fan of 50s sci-fi/horror and have probably seen most of the classics. One of my favourites that's not mentioned so often would be The Monolith Monsters (1957).

Cthulhudude
And C-Dude, this is wonderful news. Not only for the book itself, but that i'm extremely happy that you're back to writing again; your presence has been missed.

Aw-shucks, thanks, Badger. *blush*

Cthulhudude
One of my favourites that's not mentioned so often would be The Monolith Monsters (1957).

Yes, a great gem of a movie. Ranks up there with the Quatermass stuff, of which I'm such a fan of, that when I started my movie review column over at the Innsmouth Free Press, Quatermass and the Pit was the first film I covered. And while it's not a 50s flick, but a 60s flick, another of my forgotten favorites is Island of Terror. The one where Peter Cushing is on an island is overrun by a bunch of slithering, tentacled Silicates that munch on people's bones. Always loved that movie.

As for the mythos and the 1950s, to me they have always seemed like chocolate and peanut butter, that is two great tastes that go great together, but you mileage may vary and all that. Regardless, the scenarios in this book run the gambit from non-mythos, to tinged with the mythos, to very mythos-centric, so there should be a little something to please everybody and anybody in it.

piousagustus

So is this ever coming out?

The_Tatterdemalion_King

Dude, it was just announced less than a month ago.

Pookie
So is this ever coming out?

Yes. But only when it is ready.

tlynch999
Dude, it was just announced less than a month ago.

Exactly. Chaosium's been doing pretty well, lately, so let's give them a bit of time. I have high hopes for their current lineup of upcoming releases.

Cthulhudude
Yes. But only when it is ready.

What he said. But seriously, just talked to Charlie about this one today and it is progressing. Don't know how fast, but at least it is moving forward. Oh and expect a ToC soon (like maybe within a week).

tlynch999
What he said. But seriously, just talked to Charlie about this one today and it is progressing. Don't know how fast, but at least it is moving forward. Oh and expect a ToC soon (like maybe within a week).

Sweet! Nice job keeping tabs on the project, Brian. And thanks for keeping the rest of us posted. Way cool. :)

Cthulhudude

Hey one & all.

I got the ok from Chaosium to announce the ToC for the upcoming Atomic Age Cthulhu. Ladies and gentlemen, your authors in alphabetical order.

The 1950s Source Book was penned by Matt Sanborn

There will be 7 scenarios in the book

This Village was Made for Us by Christopher Smith Adair

L.A. Diabolical by Brian Courtemanche

Destroying Paradise, Hawai’ian Style by Michael Dziesinski

High Octane by Tom Lynch

The Return of Old Reliable by Oscar Rios

Forgotten Wars by Brian M. Sammons

TV Casualty by Matt Sanborn

Last but not least, a whole bunch of sinister seeds to help Keepers create their own 50s Cthulhu adventures by diverse hands.

It looks like a killer book. I hope you all will like it when it comes out sometime soon-ish. More on Atomic Age Cthulhu when I can share it.

Edit: and how perfect is it that this is my 1000th post on YSDC? :)

WiseWolf
It looks like a killer book.

More like a weapon of mass destruction book full of awesomeness madness.

bastthecatgoddess

This will be awesome!

Cthulhudude

I'm hoping it will, Bast.

dce

This book sounds really interesting, and the calibre of writers makes me hopeful that this will be a neat take on Cthulhu set in the relatively-unexplored "Atomic Age" -- I'm particularly stoked to see a couple of the the MRP heavies represented.

In anticipation of the forthcoming Fifties-style Cthulhu Goodness, I have mocked up a quick "Atomic Age" character sheet, over in this thread: http://www.yog-sothoth.com/threads/21236-Reborn-1950-s-Character-Sheet. I really need to get out more :-)

Dean (from Adelaide).

AkronTony

This is very cool. I am glad someone finally is doing 1950s. I wrote and ran a 1950's scenario at Cthulhu Tourney at Gen Con a few years back (maybe 5 - time flies when you're in a MiGo brain canister). It started with a couple rival hot rod gangs it is will be interesting to see how the 1950s weapons work in your book. Can not wait to get a hand on the book.

Tony

Badger

Wow, i didn't know there were so many heavy hitters besides yourself doing this book, Brian! Looks amazing already!

-=b

Cthulhudude

Tonyfr, don''t worry, we've got hot rods covered. And while we didn't devote a chapter to 50s weapons or anything, you will find more than a fare share in here. Especially in my scenario, which has a bunch of new toys to play with.

Badger, well what did you think? I only work with the best. :)

Cthulhudude

***an AAC update***

Well I sent the last thing I had to do for Atomic Age Cthulhu, an intro, to Chaosium. The book is now completely out of my hands and into the tentacles of the publisher. No firm word on when it will come out, but I've been told that probably before the end of the year. Well I cross my fingers and hope that turns out to be the case. In the mean time, I thought I'd share the little teaser taglines I did for each scenario to give you all some idea on what you can expect, scenario-wise, when the book comes out. Oh and just FYI, this may not be the order in which the scenarios appear in the final book.

This Village was Made for Us – in a closed community devoted to exploring the new found wonders of the atomic age, alien horrors conduct their own experiments and our wellbeing does not factor into their calculations.

T.V. Casualty – Television: newfangled technological wonder, or dreaded idiot box looking to enslave us all? Could the answer to both questions be yes?

The Return of Old Reliable – The space race, still in its infancy, gives birth to a world-threatening horror no one could have seen coming.

Forgotten Wars – The Korean “conflict”, never formally classified as a war, and yet technically still underway today, pales in comparison to the aeons long battle between two ancient enemies, and a US Army tank crew gets caught in the middle.

High Octane – slick hotrods, dirty and dangerous bikers, a commie plot, and a once slumbering menace starting to stir, will the investigators be able to keep the lid on this pressure cooker or are things going to blow as the fear continues to mount?

L.A. Diabolical – It’s Tinsel Town and the rich and famous want to dabble with the chic side of darkness for kicks, but when something from the darkness starts playing with them, the fun quickly ends.

Destroying Paradise, Hawaiian Style – blue skies, loud shirts, surfing and a king of rock n’ roll making a movie, what could possible go wrong? Well when the horrors of the Cthulhu Mythos combine with the horror of nuclear weapons, what do you think?

trevlix

Ya....I so can't wait for this to be published. Hurry up Chaosium!!!

WiseWolf

Good stuff, looking forward to get his on my hands. Finally Chaosium does something worth investing in :) (in the last couple of years)

Gil_Trevizo

Forgotten Wars and L.A. Diabolical sound interesting.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this