Sign in to follow this  
Cthulhudude

Atomic Age Cthulhu - Call of Cthulhu in the 1950s - coming soon

Cthulhudude

At last I’ve been given the nod from the powers that be to announce ATOMIC AGE CTHULHU, a book about Call of Cthulhu role-playing in the 1950s and I’m really psyched for this book for a number of reasons. First and foremost is that I love the massive amount of fear and paranoia lying just below the “everything is wonderful here†façade of the 1950s and it always seemed to me to be the perfect time to set a CoC game. More to the point, this book looks to be killer. It has a sourcebook filled with a bunch of 50s background info, new skills, and new investigator types. There are seven wonderfully varied scenarios by a great collection of authors that CoC fans are sure to recognize. And to end things right, there are over twenty sinister seeds to help Keepers looking to run an extended 1950s CoC game.

I'll be sharing more information, like a Table of Contents, release date, and anything else that comes my way when I can. Until then, YAY and get ready for some cool 1950s Cthulhu action.

Danharms

Congratulations!

And who be the powers that be?

Pookie

Excellent. I have been looking forward to this.

Cthulhudude
Congratulations!

And who be the powers that be?

Chaosium.

WiseWolf

Congrats! Source books are always helpful, specially in this era where there are some scenarios already.

GBSteve

Sounds good to me too. Bill White has been doing some good 50s scenarios for Trail of Cthulhu and I think it's a dreamy epoch to explore.

thewoozle

Can you tell us if Roswell 1947 (et.al.) is included? The Grays might make an interesting new race... Hmm, wouldn't wanna get involved in a war over Yuggoth.

MikeC

There is a non-Lovecraftian 50s horror scenario in the new BRP monograph BLOOD & Badges if any of you can't wait for this book (which I am looking forward to).

MikeC

MikeC
Can you tell us if Roswell 1947 (et.al.) is included? The Grays might make an interesting new race... Hmm, wouldn't wanna get involved in a war over Yuggoth.

Have you not read DELTA GREEN?

Though of course an alternate take would be interesting.

MikeC

Golgothmog

This does sound cool... the 50's are a great bastion of weirdness and paranoia.

I might find it hard to keep a straight face though... and keep out the giant atomic mutants.

Cthulhudude
Can you tell us if Roswell 1947 (et.al.) is included?

UFO lore is covered but I won't (can't) speak on the scenarios just yet. However as MikeC said, Delta Green has taken up that ball up and ran with it pretty far and very well. So if that's what you're looking for, I'd suggest starting there. But yeah, you can't have the 50s without little green men. Or the red menace. Or the threat of nuclear annihilation. Or good old Rock n' Roll. Or sci-fi flicks. Or...well I could go on and on, but I'll leave the rest for the book. :)

Cthulhudude
This does sound cool... the 50's are a great bastion of weirdness and paranoia.

Yes, yes it is.

I might find it hard to keep a straight face though... and keep out the giant atomic mutants.

Who says you've got to keep them out? THEM is one of my favorite 50s flicks and I'd love to run an investigators vs. giant ants one shot.

Gil_Trevizo

Honestly, I hope it goes beyond just giant mutated insects and lizards a la Them or Godzilla. When I think of the '50s, I think of film noir, repression, and consumerism. Giant monsters in black-&-white is one part of it, but the dark nihilistic postwar landscape of James Ellroy or Jim Thompson is another part I'd be more interested in exploring.

Tuoni

and can we have some of those cool 1950s shiny metal jetfighters. Ive always thought it would be cool to do a scenario involving those 1950s long range nuclear bombers that both the USA and the USSR always had flying 24/7 above the arctic circle. they flew for hours over the icecap, loaded up with nukes, and would occasionally bump into fighterplanes from the other side, sent to intercept them, they would wave and take photos of each other and then carry on

plans like these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-95

and these:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-102_Delta_Dagger

trevlix

Very cool! There are too few 50s scifi/horror games out there. Really looking forward to this.

Xipuloxx

This sounds very cool and interesting. Looking forward to it!

Of course, the UK in the 50s was very, very different from America. I assume, though, that the book will be US-centric? Not that I mind, I'm just curious. To be honest, I imagine just covering the US would be a big enough task.

Cthulhudude
Honestly, I hope it goes beyond just giant mutated insects and lizards a la Them or Godzilla. When I think of the '50s, I think of film noir, repression, and consumerism. Giant monsters in black-&-white is one part of it, but the dark nihilistic postwar landscape of James Ellroy or Jim Thompson is another part I'd be more interested in exploring.

Then you should be very happy with the book. Honestly, as much as I love the giant bug movies, none of the scenarios cover them, much to my sadness. :( That doesn't mean one of them might not be a mythos take on a 50s sci-fi flick. :) As far as noir, repression, and consumerism let me see....ah yeah, check, check and check.

Gil_Trevizo
As far as noir, repression, and consumerism let me see....ah yeah, check, check and check.

Awesome. I'll be looking forward to it then.

Cthulhudude
Of course, the UK in the 50s was very, very different from America. I assume, though, that the book will be US-centric? Not that I mind, I'm just curious. To be honest, I imagine just covering the US would be a big enough task.

Yes, while there are some info, links, and suggestions to CoC 50s goodness all over the world, the book does focus solidly on America of the 50s as that was the "golden age" we were most interested in tarnishing. That's not to say that all adventures are set there, but that's all I can say about that for now. But who knows, if Cthulhu adventuring in the atomic age seems popular, there just might be other books set in that decade. Europe at the start of the escalating Cold War seems like a great playground to explore.

And yes, covering the US in the 50s was a daunting enough task.

Cole

Congratulations! Very fun setting to be explored.

JonHook

I can't wait! :)

MikeC
This sounds very cool and interesting. Looking forward to it!

To be fair, though, QUATERMASS AND THE PIT could be the blueprint to how to do a CoC adventure, so there is that.

MikeC, or, come to think of it, MANOS THE HANDS OF FATE.

KRoss
To be fair, though, QUATERMASS AND THE PIT could be the blueprint to how to do a CoC adventure, so there is that.

MikeC, or, come to think of it, MANOS THE HANDS OF FATE.

I worship at the altar of Quatermass, and Q and the P, or Five Million Years to Earth, as it was originally known in the US, is my god.

Ain't seen Manos, but from what I hear, yer on yer own there, mate.

KAR

big Nigel Kneale fan

The_Tatterdemalion_King

I actually have a rough adventure outline based on Manos, heh...

MikeC
I worship at the altar of Quatermass, and Q and the P, or Five Million Years to Earth, as it was originally known in the US, is my god.

Ain't seen Manos, but from what I hear, yer on yer own there, mate.

KAR

big Nigel Kneale fan

If you must watch MANOS, do find the MST3K version.

But, I am still of the opinion that the basic scenario and the ending of the movie as is prove that if it had been handled by a competant auteur it could have been an effecitve horror fillm.

MikeC, thE MASteR woUlD nOt ApprOvE of combaT-bAsEd RPgS.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this