Sign in to follow this  
MikeV

"Chthonian Stars" now "the Void"

WiseWolf
The Chthonian Stars PDF is available now at drivethrurpg, POD and POD+PDF bundle will be offered in a couple of weeks.

I will wait for The Void to be released. IMO Cthonian Stars is DOA with no future support. I rather wait for a product that will be continued with the new releases WildFire is offering.

Constantine
It'd be really wise to include, in all you adverts and promotional material, that this is Mongoose's Traveller, not a different version of it.

I say that because, when I went to your home page to look at the preview PDF it doesn't say which version it supports, and the sheer number of variations of Traveller nowadays is a bit overwhelming.

It could be ANY version of Traveller for all the purchasing audience knows.

I see your point, but I don't know if it's really needed. If your a big enough Traveller Grognard to think this is an issue you already know that it's for Mongoose Traveller. If your not a grognard then you'll most likely presume it's the current Traveller being printed by Mongoose Publishing.

Besides, other 3rd party publishers for Mongoose Traveller also just say "Traveller". It's the other editions that are labeled more (Classic, T4, Mega, etc); take a look at Drivethrurpg. Even FFE says "Classic Traveller" to identify the original game. Mongoose must get the privilege of just using "Traveller" because it's the current incarnation of the game.

Constantine
I will wait for The Void to be released. IMO Cthonian Stars is DOA with no future support. I rather wait for a product that will be continued with the new releases WildFire is offering.

I know how you feel, I'm on the fence on this one. I'll only pick-up the Void version if I like the system. If I don't like the Void system but I do like the setting, then I'd use the Traveller version of the first two books and convert the rest. Decisions, decisions...

StuartB

Coming in late to the discussion here, but as a huge fan of Alien, Pandorum and Dead Space, this is right up my alley.

I've played Traveller in the past as well as a host of other SF rpgs. None of them that great. I'll be very interested to see where this one goes. I think one important aspect of nailing this genre is developing and maintaining atmosphere (yes, even in a vacuum, lol). The images you've provided definitely seem to do justice to this idea. Can't wait to read some text.

Cheers! :)

Krypter

Not knowing anything about either Traveller or the new Wildfire system, I'm not sure which one to buy. Is the new system similar to Framewerk? Is Traveller a rules-heavy or rules-light system? I'm not very keen on buying 2 core books to play 1 game either...

ChrisMDorn

The system for The Void is a easy to play system that we believe can be picked up and played after maybe an hour of reading. It is a Attribute/Skills based system with some optional rules to on triggering skill bonuses.

Tigger_MK4

Rules mechanics aside (I'm unlikely to use either system)..

... is the setting/background content identical in both versions ?

Or does one have added material ?

WiseWolf
(I'm unlikely to use either system)..

Planning to stick to BRP? I'd probably do the same.

goret

I am a huge fan of Cthulhu Rising and am really looking forward to this.

Rules light sounds absolutely great.

I'm a bit worried when i read

It is a Attribute/Skills based system with some optional rules to on triggering skill bonuses.

Hope it's more like BRP where skills are pretty much independant from attributes or maybe Savage worlds where attributes determine how high you skill can be and not a "combine an attribute and a skill" for every Roll like WoD.

CAThompson

I've seen The Void up for discounted preorder at a few places already: Urban Collecter is one. Can't tell if that's the book or ebook, I'm still confused about that.

General_Tangent

A rule question, is this the same Traveler where one can die during Character Creation?

The death during character creation rule hasn't been part of Traveller since MegaTraveller appeared in the late 80s .

nerfherder
The death during character creation rule hasn't been part of Traveller since MegaTraveller appeared in the late 80s .

It's an optional rule in Mongoose Traveller.

General_Tangent

I bought the Chthonian Stars pdf a little while ago, my original idea was to use some of the books options in an ordinary Traveller game.

Nice interior layout, good writing, great artwork and it renders very well using Goodreader on an iPad. What the product could do with, is a decent set of bookmarks, it makes finding chapters and sections difficult.

Anyway, I'll no doubt pick it up and use it at some point.

General_Tangent
It's an optional rule in Mongoose Traveller.

True, but it's optional; if you use it then you may have to do without the optional character connections rule as well. What's the point of rationalising a characters connection to another PC during the creation process only to have the character die a term later?

Anyway, YMMV as usual.

WiseWolf

Any updates on The Void?

PoC

From the looks of posts on the CTech forums it appears the CthulhuTech and Void lines are being completed and coming to an end (at least in print format).

WiseWolf

Do you mean that they are going to be printed/published soon, or that they are going to stop publishing the material? I couldn't find any revelant information in their forums.

PoC
I hate to be the bearer of bad news however, Shadow War (the mini's game) is cancelled for now. The Shadow War RP that was supposed to be the continuation of the CTech setting albeit more focussed, is also cancelled for the time being.

Due to work schedules and the Sandstorm shenanigans Matthew and I have both mentioned to each other that it's time to move on. We need to finish the CTech core line and call it. The Void will do its run and that will be it from us. All future content will be provided by other creative teams or via fan generated content. I figured with all the silence around you that you all at least deserved to know some of the details.

Source:http://cthulhutech.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2924&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

WiseWolf

Thanks, Paul. This is a shame.

Krypter

Indeed, a shame. For all the flack C-tech takes its still one of the most imaginative RPGs I've seen on the market in years. The Void promised to do for Space Cthulhu what CthulhuTech did for Robotech Cthulhu. Even people who don't like the writing or setting of c-tech admit it really raised the bar on high quality art and design production values.

WiseWolf

Well, there is Chthonians Stars, but I don't know how easy will it be to translate into BRP. Anyone knows?

Ottomancer

This looks absolutely beautiful. Love the artwork. Very evocative. :-)

WiseWolf

Well, the guys from Wildfire just released the background stories that come in Chthonians Stars as a PDF of stories for The Void, so probably it is one of those "that is not dead which can eternal lie". It is available for free on RPGNow.

konsumterra

cthonian star realy beautiful and so is cthulhutech - so many good ideas to steal for my SF and even my superhero campagn even if i dont play them straight - very intersting marketing aproaches - yes i will buy book if i like pdf and i can stand touching the paperstock (some games turned me off from touch - sorry no explanation) - i have non-gamer sf art fan friends who admired these works for the art and design alone - wish you well whatever is next - i will come for ride

goret

It looks like we won't be seeing anything comming out in the near future...:(

Link

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this