Sign in to follow this  
MikeV

"Chthonian Stars" now "the Void"

SunlessNick

However, I find apples and oranges very easy to compare. :)

Dr_Henry_Jones
The form factor of the book has changed. Instead of a traditional 8 1/2 x 11 this will be a pocket-sized 6" x 9" book. The page count will be somewhere over the 400 mark. There were a couple reasons we went this route but the biggest one is one that will benefit customers - the price. The core book (which is still full color, full bleed) will retail at $29.95. Not bad for a core book.

I will buy this game no matter what because it's right up my alley, but I don't like pocket-sized books at all. Is there a chance that someday, the books will be available at the "traditional size", maybe through some POD service or something?

Tigger_MK4
I will buy this game no matter what because it's right up my alley, but I don't like pocket-sized books at all. Is there a chance that someday, the books will be available at the "traditional size", maybe through some POD service or something?

I'm with Dr Jones, here- I'll buy it anyway but traditional size would have been far nicer.

Oh well, I'm really looking forward to seeing it either way !

Wildfire_Robert

There are a number of reasons for the smaller format - mostly dealing with marketing and manufacturing issues (it is why we can do it for only $30.00). Odds are there will not be a full-sized version as it would require new art graphic art assets though there will be an electronic version where the form factor will not be an issue. They layout and presentation is being done with the form factor in mind and I can tell you the book looks great even at the smaller size.

nerfherder
There are a number of reasons for the smaller format - mostly dealing with marketing and manufacturing issues (it is why we can do it for only $30.00). Odds are there will not be a full-sized version as it would require new art graphic art assets though there will be an electronic version where the form factor will not be an issue.

Ooh, are you talking Kindle (or other e-reader) format?

MikeV
Ooh, are you talking Kindle (or other e-reader) format?

One of the things we're keeping our eye on is e-reader and tablets when it comes to format. I can tell you that the pocket size book is done for portability purposes. I can guarantee you that it will read and look good in that format as well. :) In the mean time I figured you guys might be interested in seeing some more art. Here's the sprint shuttle, mi-go, and a deep one/human hybrid.

We'll post mechanics details soon.

5591938399_df776ebd83_z.jpg5591938497_b36af5a1d9_z.jpg

5591938797_dd412c2356_b.jpg

WiseWolf

The art is really impresive. It is perfect for the setting. Why are there deepones in space?

EDIT: I am just curious, I never thought of deep ones in space, I wonder how you managed that part of the Mythos.

Question, are you going to do a pre-order with a free pdf of kindle version? :)

nerfherder
One of the things we're keeping our eye on is e-reader and tablets when it comes to format. I can tell you that the pocket size book is done for portability purposes. I can guarantee you that it will read and look good in that format as well. :) In the mean time I figured you guys might be interested in seeing some more art. Here's the sprint shuttle, mi-go, and a deep one/human hybrid.

We'll post mechanics details soon.

The more I see and hear about this, the more interested I'm getting. I'm looking for a sci-fi game to run, and I love Cthulhu. Can't wait to read reviews.

Wildfire_Robert

The Deep Ones are from the oceans of Neptune. The planet itself held some surprises when man finally reached it.

MikeV
The more I see and hear about this, the more interested I'm getting. I'm looking for a sci-fi game to run, and I love Cthulhu. Can't wait to read reviews.

You wont actually have to wait to read reviews. Since the entire setting is creative commons you'll be able to download the pdf for free and judge for yourself whether you want to invest in a hard copy. :)

WiseWolf
Since the entire setting is creative commons you'll be able to download the pdf for free and judge for yourself whether you want to invest in a hard copy. :)

Amazing, how do you actually recover investment? With the hardcopy sells only?

Tigger_MK4

Great artwork.

In one word....

WANT !

Wildfire_Robert
Amazing, how do you actually recover investment? With the hardcopy sells only?

Actually, both that and electronic sales. Market data has proven that people who like the product will often buy it even if they already have a free copy. It is the only way to ensure the stuff they like keeps coming out.

nerfherder
Actually, both that and electronic sales. Market data has proven that people who like the product will often buy it even if they already have a free copy. It is the only way to ensure the stuff they like keeps coming out.

Cool!

It worked with me for OpenQuest. I downloaded the free PDF, liked it, and bought the softback from Lulu.

Can't wait for the free PDF of the Void.

Tigger_MK4

I'm certainly like that, at least with larger books.

I find PDFs a bit cumbersome to have once they're over a certain size (I dont own a kindle or ipad) so if I like a product I'll get the dead tree variety as well (budget allowing)...

Krypter

I love the look and of course the production values of Wildfire are great. Deep Ones on Neptune! Lovecraft would have loved it.

Being a huge fan of the Alien/Aliens movies and having enjoyed Pandorum/Event Horizon etc. this will make a great setting for sci-fi Cthulhu mystery/horror/investigation games. Ghost stories in space, if you will.

You may want to consider creating some unique environmental or setting mechanics that reflect on the particular problems found in space. How would ancient, moldy tomes fare in microgravity or deep space, for example? Is there an interplanetary Internet or does transmission time-lag reduce it to short burst communications only?

Small request: please proofread and edit your manuscripts thoroughly, the CthulhuTech supplements after Vade Mecum suffered from a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes. Just saying.

nickedwardscru

Does anyone have any news on The Void - there doesnt seem to be anything to buy yet?

JonHook
Does anyone have any news on The Void - there doesnt seem to be anything to buy yet?

I think I read that it won't be available until June or July as a PDF. My hope is that it'll also be an in-print book then too.

Constantine

I haven't seen or heard anything. I posted a query on rpg.net and got someone from the company referring me to the company forum. I went to the forum and there's no news. I put my money up in the Eldritch Skies Kickstarter (

) and I want to snag a copy of this too - I'm hoping to put together a Cthulhu/sci-fi setting using these books and Cthulhu Rising.

KaLaila

Old info with release dates.

Press Release

Chthonian Stars Set For Release!

Fans have been eagerly awaiting the release of Chthonian Stars: the Cthulhu Saga I, an original Lovecraftian sci-fi/horror setting for the classic Traveller roleplaying game. This project was to be published by Mongoose Publishing, though developed by WildFire, the team that created the award-winning CthulhuTech. Over the last month, these two companies have agreed to part ways.

There's good news for Traveller fans, however, as WildFire will be releasing both the Chthonian Stars Core Setting and the Horrors of the Void monster books as PDF's on DriveThru RPG – with the option for physical copies through OneBookShelf's new print-on-demand program. The Core Setting is scheduled to be released in April 2011, as originally planned, with Horrors of the Void following in June 2011.

On the other hand, WildFire will be taking Chthonian Stars in its own new direction, starting in June 2011. Through their partnership with Sandstorm Productions, WildFire will be re-tooling the product for proprietary release. The brand new Chthonian Stars will likely see a name change, and be home to a brand new system. The entire product will have a focus on accessibility, making it easy for new players to pick up and play the game.

The new Chthonian Stars Core Book will be available as a complete roleplaying book in June 2011, through standard distribution and retail. The revised Horrors of the Void monster book will be available as the first supplement in September. The rest of the line will follow in 2012, starting in January.

Details about these books final sizes, page counts, and price points will be available as they are solicited.

Christopher Dorn

Writer - The Void/Cthulhu Tech

Wildfire LLC

CAThompson

This looks really cool and the art is beautiful. I am looking forward to the .pdf. Also I just wanted to chime in with my love for the "hard" sci-fi settings.

A rule question, is this the same Traveler where one can die during Character Creation? And how easy would it be to get someone who hasn't played a rpg before up to speed for it?

MikeV

The core book for Chthonian Stars requires the traveller core book to run. With those game mechanics you can go the traditional route and use the old character generation rules if you chose. For The Void it has it's own game system. The difference between the 2 versions is that The Void is in 6" x 9" format, has additional art, different cover, added adventures, and is ready to play out of the box without any additional books. The promise of the game is that you can sit down with your gaming group and be playing within an hour of purchase. In addition it's also going to be creative commons where Chthonian Stars is not. I hope that answers some of your questions. :)

ogrepuppy
The core book for Chthonian Stars requires the traveller core book to run.

It'd be really wise to include, in all you adverts and promotional material, that this is Mongoose's Traveller, not a different version of it.

I say that because, when I went to your home page to look at the preview PDF it doesn't say which version it supports, and the sheer number of variations of Traveller nowadays is a bit overwhelming.

It could be ANY version of Traveller for all the purchasing audience knows.

Constantine

The Chthonian Stars PDF is available now at drivethrurpg, POD and POD+PDF bundle will be offered in a couple of weeks.

christian

I have great difficult with rules so if this a rules light or rules easy system, I'm sold ;-)

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this