Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

'Spell' cast by thieves

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Cultists at work? ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Spell' cast by thieves

By VINITHA VISWANATH

Published: 2 August 2004

AN Indian jeweller claims he was hypnotised by three mysterious women, who tricked him into handing over BD580 in cash.

Abdul Hameed, 46, says he was counting out change for the women when they began making strange actions with their hands.

He claims he became suddenly depressed, but says he can't remember what happened next.

The last thing he recalls is watching them leave the shop, but it was only later when he thought about the strange encounter that he realised what had happened.

"I was in the shop with a colleague, while our boss was sitting at the main counter about 20 metres away," said Mr Hameed, who spoke to the GDN on condition that the shop would not be named.

"Three women, who spoke with Saudi accents, came in wearing abayas and veils and asked for change for BD60.

"I took money from the cash box to give the change while my colleague was standing next to me.

"One woman asked him to show her some watches and he took her to the section where watches are kept."

However, when Mr Hameed started counting out the change, he said the two remaining women told him they wanted it in smaller denominations.

"I had a cash bundle with BD880 of various denominations," said Mr Hameed.

"They kept on pulling the rubber band on the bundle and were doing various actions with their hands.

"All of a sudden I had a feeling of depression and did not know what to do.

"Then I saw them leaving. After a while I started to think of what had happened."

Mr Hameed says his boss witnessed the whole incident, but did not realise what was happening because the women had their backs to him.

"Since they were standing in front of me he could not see me," said Mr Hameed.

Mr Hameed says it was a short while afterwards, when he was thinking about what had happened, that he decided to count the money in the bundle.

When he did so he found it contained just BD300.

"I informed my boss and we all ran out to the other shops in the complex to look for the three women," said Mr Hameed. "But we were unlucky."

Mr Hameed said it was impossible to identify the women in the crowd because their faces were covered. "So we informed the police."

Mr Hameed, from Kerala, has worked for the same company for 18 years, but says this is the first time such an incident has happened. Police are investigating.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FGFY's Conversion-o-meter as of August 3, 2004

580 Bahraini Dinar = 1,541.94 US Dollar

580 Bahraini Dinar = 843.603 British Pound

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=88277&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=27135

The_Usernameless_Horror

That sound like scopalamine poisoning. This substance leaves victims extremely open to suggestion and suppresses memories of their actions under the drug. It features commonly in organised crimes and urban myths.

Cthulhudude

Or they could have been using a Hand of Glory. Thieves with access to the black arts would love to have one of those, maybe these women did? 8)

Thorulfr
Or they could have been using a Hand of Glory. Thieves with access to the black arts would love to have one of those, maybe these women did? 8)

The Hand of Glory was the left hand of a hung criminal, severed while still on the gibbet. It was dried and preserved in an elaborate ritual, and candles put on the fingers and thumb (or between the fingers, depending on the source). The candles are supposed to be made from baby's fat, and the wicks from the braided hair of the hung felon. (DAMN that must smell rank while burning!)

The story goes that when the hand is set upright and the candles lit with certain incantations, the dwellers in the house will remain asleep, allowing the thieves to ransack the place at leisure.

What these women pulled sounds like scopalamine, allright.

(The boss was 20 meters away? Wow, that is a huge shop)

For what it's worth, the classic "Short change" flim-flam works like this:

Grifter walks up to the counter with a small purchase, usually slightly less than a dollar (pack of gum, or condoms, back when a 3-pack was less than a buck). The cahsier rings up the purchase and the grifter pulls out a 20-dollar bill. The cashier takes it, counts out the change, and when the grifter gets it, he immediately counts it out again ("17, 18, 19, and 27 cents..") He then smoothly takes the 10-dollar bill and puts it in his pocket, and then (A-ha!) finds some change. Quickly, he pulls out the change, and counts it up to 20 ("let's see..that's 19.27, 28, 29, 30, and 70 cents makes 20). He pushes the money back to the cashier who hopefully is flustered enough to give back the 20. The grifter walks off, taking the gum/condoms, and a 10 dollar profit.

It is supposed to work best when the cashier is really harried but there is not a lot of people around to witness. It also helps if the grifter is large and threatening and the cashier is nervous and wants it over as fast as possible. Alternatively, the grifter issweet and innocent and slightly daffy, counting out the change several times and forgetting his place and starting over (makes the 'forgotten change in the pocket' all the more plausible.)

Use this for your petty conman NPCs.

(And no, I've never used this - I have a lot of friends who work in retail. One friend had this skinny, pimple-faced kid try to pull it on him - my friend just laughed in the kid's face.)

The_Usernameless_Horror

My friend has a book called '100 ways to win a tenner' which lists hundreds of cons, rigged bets etc. that you can use. It sounds like the book which is most likely to get you beaten up, but could be very useful for conmen NPCs.