Sign in to follow this  
StuartB

Shadows Over Scotland - Update

Tigger_MK4

Congratulations ! Well deserved too.

WiseWolf

Congratulations, Stuart! I am glad that your hard work is paying of in every possible way.

StephanieMcAlea

Just ordered this book from Amazon... looking forward to it.

I also have received the Avalon sourcebook. I'd have previously thought it impossible to put me off a book with one paragraph.

StuartB

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated!

I just found an interesting article on RPGGeek where an intrepid Belgian Keeper, Wouter Dhondt, has transported The Forbidden Isle scenario from Shadows Over Scotland to an island just off Kingsport. He's provided a great little write-up of the action as well. You can find it here, if interested: http://rpggeek.com/thread/743014/arkham-detective-tales-chapter-1-the-forbidden-isl

LoneKharnivore
I also have received the Avalon sourcebook. I'd have previously thought it impossible to put me off a book with one paragraph.

At the risk of derailing the thread, may I ask for expansion? I received Avalon for Christmas and thought it was quite good...

StephanieMcAlea
At the risk of derailing the thread, may I ask for expansion? I received Avalon for Christmas and thought it was quite good...

I'm sure it's a good book.. and it's my own hang up... but as someone who has a decent amount of knowledge regarding the Arthurian Cycle, the paragraph dealing with 'Arthur' annoyed me a little.

SPOILER:

Making 'Arthur' as a deep one hybrid is not only a missed opportunity in mythos terms IN MY VIEW, Lloigr especially as they are 'underground dragons' (sort of)), Serpent Men, Hyperborean, ets wouldve making more sense, but as a possible christian war leader he fought pagan Saxons. This could've made an interesting plot point as a mythos subverted Saxon leader (maybe influenced by Nodens/Wotan) attacked the people of 'Arthur' (or Owain), Britain's first anti-mythos 'investigator'. There are plenty of useable examples in the literature. The giant Ysbaddaden could've been a gug, hunting horrors as dragons, Afanc as deep ones, the st mary star on shiled being an elder sign. Anyway, like i say, its my hang up and I haven't really dug much into the rest of the book as my reading list is HUGE. But it has made me pause.. PLEASE make your own mind as I'm sure it's a trifling matter. :)

I received the Scotland book today. Wow. 'Tis a thing of beauty!

LoneKharnivore
I'm sure it's a good book.. and it's my own hang up... but as someone who has a decent amount of knowledge regarding the Arthurian Cycle, the paragraph dealing with 'Arthur' annoyed me a little.

Anyway, like i say, its my hang up and I haven't really dug much into the rest of the book as my reading list is HUGE. But it has made me pause.. PLEASE make your own mind as I'm sure it's a trifling matter. :)

I know what you mean, I've been reading into and around the Arthurian legends since I was a kid and it didn't immediately sit right with me, but as I prefer the historical Arthur and in the book

he rejected his heritage

I can live with it. It's totally irrelevant to the rest of the book anyway; I do recommend a second look (when you're less burdened, of course!) ;)

Anyway, back to SOS; I can't wait to get it!

StuartB
Anyway, back to SOS; I can't wait to get it!

Let me know what you think when you get it, LK. Cheers!

StuartB

I just had a blast reading through this German review of Shadows Over Scotland using Google Translate. Unfortunately, my own knowledge of German was not up to the challenge. I believe this is the first non-English review I've received and I can't thank T. Roach enough for his kind words.

http://roachware.blogspot.com/2011/12/schafsmagen-und-dudelsacke.html

For those of you wondering, Shafsmagen und Dudelsäcke translates to Sheep's Stomach and Bagpipes! I must now refrain from walking around the house intoning Dudelsäcke ad nauseum.

The gist of it comes across in the final paragraph through Google-speak as follows:

"Who would not want to scratch around with his Cthulhu investigators once in Scotland, with an excellent book Shadows over Scotland, which not only adventure but also the special feeling of Scotland are to teach well."

Vielen Dank für die ausgezeichnete Rezension, Herr Roach!

StuartB

This just in: Shadows Over Scotland has been shortlisted for the Best Roleplaying Supplement in The 38th Annual Origins Awards.

http://gama.org/OriginsAwards/tabid/2720/Default.aspx

I remember as a wee lad seeing the Origin and GAMA adverts in Dragon Magazine and in the TSR box sets that I bought. So this is a massive (and wonderfully nostalgic) thrill for me!

StuartB
This just in: Shadows Over Scotland has been shortlisted for the Best Roleplaying Supplement in The 38th Annual Origins Awards.

http://gama.org/OriginsAwards/tabid/2720/Default.aspx

I remember as a wee lad seeing the Origin and GAMA adverts in Dragon Magazine and in the TSR box sets that I bought. So this is a massive (and wonderfully nostalgic) thrill for me!

And, I've just learned that Cthulhu Britannica: Shadows Over Scotland was won the 2012 Origins Award for Best Roleplaying Supplement!

Wow. Truly honoured.

Noble

Well done that man! A truly grand book for a grand place, we look forward to the next award you pick up for what ever flows from you pen next!

Cthimothy

Indeed! I've already said it, but congratulations, Stuart. Thoroughly deserved.

rylehNC
Well done that man! A truly grand book for a grand place, we look forward to the next award you pick up for what ever flows from you pen next!

No kidding, quill to the grindstone Boon!

WiseWolf
And, I've just learned that Cthulhu Britannica: Shadows Over Scotland was won the 2012 Origins Award for Best Roleplaying Supplement!

This is the result of hardwork, love and brains. I am glad for you Stuart, and for all our community. I think this will have a possitive impact on the attention that Call of Cthulhu receives in general.

StuartB
No kidding, quill to the grindstone Boon!

Yes, Sir! I'm on it! :)

StuartB

Honoured to have now received the 2012 Gold ENnie award for Best Setting for Cthulhu Britannica: Shadows Over Scotland! Amazing.

On top of the Origins Award, this certainly makes my year! Thanks to everyone who voted--you people rock!--and thanks to all the Yoggies who have been so supportive.

And now, back to writing!

WinstonP
Honoured to have now received the 2012 Gold ENnie award for Best Setting for Cthulhu Britannica: Shadows Over Scotland! Amazing.

On top of the Origins Award, this certainly makes my year! Thanks to everyone who voted--you people rock!--and thanks to all the Yoggies who have been so supportive.

And now, back to writing!

Congratulations Stuart :)

So... What are​ you working on? Care to give a hint?

StuartB

I'm reanimating something people might have thought long dead...

Emrys
I'm reanimating something people might have thought long dead...

He's a sorceror! Burn him! Burn him!

mpw6

This looks like it could be really cool.

Having just swum Loch Ness to raise some cash for our Lovecraftian play 'Drowning Rock' I can confirm there is certainly Cthonic wildlife up there:

195960_10151007424940079_414804675_n.jpg

StuartB
He's a sorceror! Burn him! Burn him!

LOL! Well, there's me busted. My secret is out.