Sign in to follow this  
K_Peterson

[Campaign] Sunset at Sandy Gulch

K_Peterson

Hey there. I'm a long-time CoC fanatic, but infrequent poster on Yog Sothoth. I've got plans for an upcoming CoC campaign and thought I'd share my enthusiasm.

In January, I'm planning on running a Western CoC campaign, with the Worlds of Cthulhu adventure "Sunset at Sandy Gulch" as the intro. I've pulled together chargen, and alternate rules, material from prior issues of Worlds of Cthulhu, and the BRP supplement 'Devil's Gulch". (I also use a hybrid of CoC, BRP Gold Book, and MRQ2 rules... but that'd be the subject of another thread). I'll probably add a few more resources (possibly converted Deadlands adventures) to flesh the campaign out and provide more opportunity for adventures.

I'm rather excited because I haven't run a campaign in this kind of setting before. And really... who doesn't like Westerns? :) I've Keeper'd CoC campaigns in the Classic and Modern era, and I'm looking forward to branching out into other eras. I've already proposed the campaign to my players, and they're intrigued.

Speaking of my players: they're absolute CoC newbs. Their only introduction to CoC has been through the Pagan Publishing adventure "In Media Res"... which I ran for them a month ago. Otherwise, they aren't very familiar with the Mythos. Which should add to the element of surprise when they encounter Mythos entities.

Anyway, I've got some time to finalize house rules and tweak the setting. Once my group gets into chargen (January 3rd), I'll revisit this thread and post the characters and possibly throw in some session recaps.

David_Hallett

That's great! But I think this might be better placed in the "Other eras, Settings & Systems" forum

PoC

In theory I can see American Western as 'Gaslight' due to the period, but because it's such a distinct epoch I've moved it over to "Other... Settings". Judgement call, really. ~PoC

Cole

Would love to hear updates from the trail as this gets up and running. Have plans for a CoC / A&8 campaign along those lines some time in 2011 myself. Please keep us informed on how things work out.

KRoss

Anyone planning to start a new CoC campaign set in the Old West who might be interested in playtesting some new rules, settings, and adventures should drop me a PM. After years of planning and plotting, I'm currently working on such a project myself. I've barely gotten a start, but hope to have character creation (completely revamped) and new rules (lots of little things) done in the next week or so. Then it's on to voluminous historical and setting info, along with muchas aventuras.

Kevin Ross

eldritch gunslinger

K_Peterson

An update: Keeper'd the first session of my OWC (Old West Cthulhu) campaign last night. Managed to complete chargen and get about 2 hours in to a session. Overall, we got off to a great start with just a few minor issues (more about that in an upcoming post).

I'll post a chargen and (brief) session recap shortly, and provide some details on how I've cobbled together the setting and the rules that I'm utilizing.

Cole

Looking forward to hearing how things went. I've been doing loads of research and tinkering with some character gen and setting specific rules (combat, riding, etc.) myself. I've written 4 scenarios that are more one-offs than an ongoing campaign, but I feel like I want to give them a few nibbles before hooking them into a full on campaign.

We're looking to start up some time in late-January/early February.

K_Peterson

Ok. First a little fluff. Here are the Investigators:

Samuel Masters – private detective

Doc Withers – medical doctor

"Red" Vitroyaa – Romanian shootist

Mick Faraday – geological assayer/surveyor

Micah Smithson – preacher/occultist/exorcist

(I don't have their character sheets with me, so I'll post stats/exceptional skills at another time).

All of the characters are either working in - or traveling through, the small mining town of Rio Rosa when the campaign begins. Most of them also have ties to a wanted bandit by the name of "Crazy Eye" Pete.

A session log:

Town split between North Star mining facilities and the general town part.

Samuel Masters in town chasing "Crazy Eye Pete" who is a bandit, horse-thief gangster evil guy.

We're all in the saloon on Monday, 8/1/1880. The stage coach will be here at noon containing the company payroll and more bordello employees (woo hoo). This is the one day a month when the town becomes a place of revelry.

I check out the saloon, make sure that Crazy Eye Pete ain't around. If he was, I would

have to take him in.

Cowboy sent out of town as a runner. Dirty rough looking miners are getting angry.

People pointing at mining company managers. I sense labor difficulties. Some guys

around the manager holding shotguns. Something must be wrong with the payroll.

Scout returns to town. He's riding clumsily. Might be injured. He's been shot in the

shoulder. Doc Withers gets his stuff. Apparently, Crazy Eye Pete and his gang has

hijacked the stage coach. Well, got my horse and chased after Crazy Eye Pete. Red

Vitroya also went after him.

We are getting some nice rewards for taking back the stagecoach. Of course, I'm in it to

capture Crazy Eye Pete, but I'll take the free season at the bordello for rescuing the

dames. Got a critical success in rounding up a posse, but so far it's only the PCs. Oh

well. But we're getting the Doc, and Mick Faraday to come count the money once we

take it back from CEP.

We come upon the scene of the hijacking. Stagecoach is gone. Casualties: number of

dead horses and bodies. Doc checks for life. All women are gone. Number = 4 dead

bodies, but one is a youth. Red and I use our telescopes to search 14 miles away.

Headed to Cougar Canyon. Highly defensible. Could be a problem if Crazy Eye Pete's

gang is headed that way. We can potentially ambush them.

We are trying to head them off at the pass. But we can't shoot from horseback very well

and it's tough to hit them anyway.

Red shoots pretty good and hits the drivers. Stagecoach brought to a halt. Now it's a

sitting duck. Some hombre shot at me, so I shot him back for 9 damage. Doc Withers

tried to flank and then charge the stagecoach. He got himself shot with a .38 but only

took 6 damage. He's trying to strangle Pete but is supposed to open the doors so we

can shoot 'em. I have not shot twice and hit twice.

We captured a bandit. We also see a second dust cloud. Probably Pete and the

whores. Damnation. We missed 'em. Probably some bad juju. Bastards got away

from us. Bad guys headed towards Sandy Gulch. Can't beat 'em there. But we know

where they headed. To Sandy Gulch!

Sandy Gulch...

Before we actually go to Sandy Gulch, we are going to ambush the f*ckers who come

back to meet up with the stagecoach. Ambush: didn't happen. Off to Sandy Gulch

instead. Which has bad juju. Sh*t. Indian burial ground. Pictographs and animals and

stuff. Not good news. Probably Cthulu sh*t. Doc tries to check 'em out...

We hear a voice out of nowhere. "Whiteman, why you come this direction." We see an

old Indian Chief, fully dressed in Indian garb.

The log is rather steam-of-consciousness, and I've edited it for profanities. :)

For those familiar with "Sunset at Sandy Gulch" (from WoC6), you'll see that I'm running the adventure pretty close to the source material. I think that it serves as a good introduction to the campaign, and provides a good reason for the Investigators to form a posse and work together.

K_Peterson

I'm a bit of a lazy Keeper when it comes to throwing a campaign together, so I've stolen adventures shamelessly from a few sources. I'm using "Sunset at Sandy Gulch", of course, to provide the introduction and backbone for the campaign. From there, I'm planning to use the town provided in the BRP book "Devil's Gulch" as a larger town - which provides more shopping, and adventuring possibilities as well as access to railroad travel. The campaign takes place in a fairly desolate region, so there won't be much within a close riding distance beyond a few towns - many that are involved/situated in silver mining areas.

I've downloaded a few Deadlands pdfs that I'm going to use for adventure guidelines. I've already looked through "Adios-A-Migo", and I've determined that I'm going to have to edit the hell out of it to improve it (in my mind) and make it more applicable. Once my group gets to the conclusion of Sunset at Sandy Gulch, I'll start throwing some leads and rumors their way to lead to other investigations. (If there isn't a total party kill) :)

The entire campaign rests on the development of extensive Migo activity in the region. Otherworldy gates are being opened letting loose all kinds of monstrosities; normally-dormant mythos threats, like Sand Dwellers are awakening; and easily corrupted businessmen and outlaws are being used as pawns in the Migos' games.

K_Peterson

I've conglomerated rules from different sources to model Old West Cthulhu. BRP CoC acts as a framework, but I also include bits from WoC2 (with tweaks), and a little MRQII for alternate approaches to task resolution and chargen. (I was impressed with MRQII after running a sword & sorcery campaign with it 3 months ago, and I wanted to incorporate changes to initiative, base skill levels - and replace the Resistance Table with opposed skill checks).

I have a pdf of Gurps Old West that includes Old West incomes and equipment lists. It's proven to provide some good detail. (And allowed my players to penny pinch so that they can afford a Stetson hat). :)

The mix of rules proved to be a little unwieldy during the first session, but I think as we get more sessions in it will feel more comfortable, and there'll be less page-flipping between sources. My players were fine with the first session - no one had any complaints about delays to Keeper adjudication. As long as there is consistency in rulings I don't think there'll be any concerns.

Cole

Reading about someone thousands of miles away doing the same sort of research, rules blending, and creative work that I am working through is somehow comforting.

Your game sounds much more Mythos-prevalent than mine. Do you find your game is pulpier in tone than your Classic CoC games? Do you strive for more of a cinematic game (Tombstone, The Good, the Bad & the Ugly, etc) or a grittier, earthy game (Appaloosa, Deadwood, and such)? I am more in the latter camp.

Please keep posting updates here. These are like gold.

As far as other helpful materials, I use the Knuckledusters firearms and cowtown books, Coyote Trail, Aces & Eights, Dogs in the Vineyard (excellent inspiration/framework for writers), as well as the sources you've noted. My copy of Devil's Gulch is on the way from the UK and I can't wait.

K_Peterson

There's a little more pulp in this campaign than other CoC campaigns I've run. But, I keep it under some control. For example, I avoid a number of the over-the-top, "Wild West" rules used in WoC2 because I want the campaign to retain some believability.

I am a fan of a Masks of Nyarlathotep-style campaign, though, and prefer more of an adventurous romp than a game of antiquarians and their 90% Library Use skill.

I'm a huge fan of Deadwood, but I don't think I'm going to go to that extreme level of grittiness. Realistic, yes; but still adventurous. I am using a Fate point mechanic to limit total party kills, for instance.

Cole

We always use a home-brewed Fate Point mechanic, and I would say our games tend gritty.

There is some great stuff in WoC 2, but I agree that some elements do not work with games with a more serious tone.

Gol-Goroth

Sunset is really fun to run, I've run it several times. I have another western scenario written, currently unpublished, called "In Them Thar Hills". Hope to put that out one day. Anyhow, the GURPS Old West book is wonderful, as is the Idiots Guided to the Old West. Lastly, I gotta say that Crazy Eyed Pete is modled after my late Father-In-Law, may he rest in peace.

K_Peterson

I created my own character sheet for this campaign. Well, really, I captured portions from an official CoC sheet, contructed some tables, and formatted everything together. It gets the job done.

If you're familiar with MRQ2, you'll see its obvious influence, as I've broken skills into a few categories and have base skill level determined by a mix of 2 stats, or a single stat x2. (As much as I love the CoC system, I find base skill levels too arbitrary for my taste).

There are a few derived stats, on the sheet, that I've removed from the game. Tracking combat actions is fine in a cinematic Fantasy game, but not so much (for me) in this OW game. I also determined that Major Wounds (from BRP BGB) were a little too punishing - especially considering the amount of damage that firearms inflict).

Beyond this .doc, I print out page 2 of the WoC2 character sheet so that players can fill in fluff details.

CoCSheetOW.doc

themaninawhitecar

Well, now you all have done it! The theme song from "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" is stuck in my head!

Cole

Wow! This speaks volumes.

You've gone and make Perception a single skill, which I can appreciate. Personally, I went ahead and made it a completely separate characteristic. Originally, I tied Perception to Intelligence, but I just like the idea of playing someone who can process information magnificently and analyze and mentally tear through challenges . . . but who might not be physically attuned to the world around them. Likewise, I love the idea of a simple-minded person who is very observant, so I separate the two.

On these boards I have been outspoken about tying skills to Characteristics and love that (and how) you’ve done that! For a lot of knowledge skills, however, I see that you combine INT and EDU. This is something I’ve wrestled with in my own homebrewing, but ultimately I decided to go pure INT, because training/education will be reflected directly in the skill points spent in that field. This makes me wonder if your reason for going this route was a point-buy system . . . one where the total skill point pool is independent of EDU?

Do you find your starting Investigators are slightly more powerful than Classic CoC characters, in the way MRQII characters tend to be?

I have so many more questions, KP, but fine-point questions that come from a resounding approval of the direction you’ve taken. Terrific work and thread.

K_Peterson

I gave the players a flat pool of 350 skill points to spend, which is about the same as starting-RQII characters. And about 25 points shy of the skill points offered to CoC Investigators based on average INT and EDU stats. I did charge an 'entry cost' to 'buy' Advanced Skills (10 skill points), but beyond that there were no limitations to how points were spent.

Since I removed EDU from the skill point equation, I incorporated it into starting skill point values for the more "science-y educational" skills. Just something I played around with.

The investigators don't seem that much more powerful than CoC investigators. On the contrary, the players stressed about how to spend their skill points, considering that they felt compelled to pour points into weapon skills, quick draw, horse riding, and other genre skills. Much like in RQII and standard CoC, there never seems enough skill points to go around. The investigators have some strengths and weaknesses - only 2 of the 5 investigators are that competent in gunfights, while the rest are more focused on medicine, public speaking, or science skills.

Cole

I just thought by conglomerating certain skills they would generally have to buy separately, they would have more points to spend overall.

Quick Draw does tax shootists, and properly so IMO. It has a similar tax effect to Martial Arts, which strikes me as fair. I remember 1e Boot Hill had both a gun accuracy as well as gun speed number. IIRC, Aftermath did the same. It's been 25 years since i played either. Off to Google.

The importance of outdoors and survival skills could also keep players from creating superheroes. So, I think your system is sound. Fine points about skills, underlying Characteristics, etc are subjective and there's no single right way. Again, I think you've tinkered reasonably well and in keeping with the Western setting and slightly pulpy tone of game your group likes.

I'll definitely be following your campaign posts avidly in the future.

K_Peterson

Session #2 log:

Session 2 -- 1/3/11

Outside Rio Rosa pursuing Crazy Eye Pete. Just encountered an ancient Indian dude.

Indian guy is at the entrance to the Sandy Gulch. Entrance is small, with Indian markings up the entire sides of the walls.

Valley of Death & Madness -- Indian term. Taboo for them to enter. Home to foul beasts. Slayers of the Desert. As big as a large man and they worship a powerful dark spirit. Like men, but not men. Today favors the enemies of mankind.

Apparently, we can learn powers that are beyond the arrow and rifle. I will go and learn.

I engaged in a bizarre Indian ritual where I drank some kind of white alcoholic substance and put a pistol round in a magic pouch. It's just weird. Also, there was chanting. Hopefully, this will make me strong in spirit and able to shoot lightning from my eyes and fire from my arse!

Chant: Uh-muntu, chooha, negona tahoo.

On the way into Sandy Gulch/VDM, we stow our horses and Red scouts ahead. There's a shack. It's dilapidated.

Gunfight at the Dilapidated Shack!

0. Preacher gets shot and someone shoots right over my head and Red's head.

1. I was shot at. Poorly.

2. Preacher rode back to the Doc and gets treated. He has a bullet stuck in his body. Poor preacher.

3. I shoot and miss, he shoots and misses, Red finally shoots him. Then we go to the edge of the cliff with rifles to shoot a bandit hiding behind a big cactus.

4. He tries to shoot us. The fool. He missed.

5. Red and I shoot back. My gun jams, Red aims, and the bastard shot me! I Fate Pointed it. We continue to exchange shots.

6. Killed him.

Exploration continues. We find the shaft, a box of dynamite with a length of fuse. The shaft doesn't go too far. At the end of the canyon (Sandy Gulch) we find a giant boulder mostly blocking an entrance to a cave. Outside were 4 horses. We go inside and try not to die.

Inside the cavern, there's some crazy movement. It required Sanity checks. Damnation. Some kind of big horned toad monstrosity. They made the Sanity checks, but lost a point of Sanity each anyway. Hahahaha. Fortunately, I didn't see it. This is the source of the slight hissing noise. Great.

We come to the end of the passageway. Suddenly the floor declines to a 45 degree angle and we start sliding. I chant the Indian phrase and lightning erupts from my bag, which burns and I fall unconscious because I only have 8 magic points and I used 10 to go crazy lightning sh*t. Then there were rattlesnakes on soft sand. The other PCs fight them while I lay around sleeping peacefully. Awesome. The fight...oh yes, it's EPIC. Tough snakes. Preacher punches snakes. The things are frightening. Preacher gets poisoned. Uh oh. Considers using a Fate Point to avoid death. Peter helpfully adds, "It's rattlesnake venom, you'll be fine." How about "no."

I'm out for a couple of hours, but meanwhile both Preacher and Doc Withers survived their snake venom problem. They had to use Fate Points though.

Still unconscious, but we came out into a new valley (outside, not inside the cave). We're east or southeast of Sandy Gulch. Being dragged by a rope. Yay.

(Still being dragged around because still have no conscious control of body.)

But the lightning show from my chest (which left burn marks) was cool. Probably wasted that on a stupid fall, but there was really no way to know what would happen.

I'm awake! But Doc hears a hissing noise again. Great. There's a cave entrance to the cliff wall. Not good probably.

I feel exhausted. I have a bag-shaped hole in my shirt. Necklace is gone. Hissing noise is back and a flash of movement. Some crazy sh*t going down!

Demon toad-gods are here according to Casey.

MULTIPLE hissing noises. Not good.

I failed a sanity check and lost 6 sanity and went temporarily insane but Fate Pointed it to only 4 Sanity points.

Holy Smokes, we get assaulted by 7 demon toad men. Combat commences.

7. I take one down with 2 shots doing 13 and 16 damage respectively.

8. Doc gets smacked but only for 1 damage fortunately.

9. Red misses, and then hits for 12 damage with a Colt Peacemaker.

10. Mick gets missed twice, but since Red cheered that 1 was on him and 2 were on Mick, he gets hit. For 1 damage. Still, a lesson learned!

11. Combat continues with us trying to shoot them dead before they beat us down. So far so good.

12. Ha! Doc slams one in the face for 5 damage!

13. Sadly, Farraday misses twice.

14. Uh oh, Doc takes a smack. But it's ok. I, on the other hand, get whacked for 7 and it really, really hurts. Things are not looking good for Sam Masters.

15. I take my revenge, blowing away the one that hit me for 16 damage again in one shot. I got slashed.

16. Oh dear, Doc just fumbled his attack roll. And Doc has no Fate Points left. He did a damage to himself.

17. And now Farraday takes a shot for 7 damage, but Fate Points it and gets missed instead. Good Fate Point.

18. I finally miss. Damnation.

19. Preacher drops his rifle (yes, that's right) and bull rushes one of the smaller ones, trying to slam him into a stone slab. He dealt no damage though. Lame.

20. Doc gets hit by the huge one for 9 points. He's at -2 Hit Points, but is probably dead. The big one slashed open his chest and Doc starts pumping blood onto the ground at a most alarming rate.

21. I shoot it for 13 damage in revenge and it drops. Thanks to Doc punching him for 5 damage twice.

22. Preacher finally punches one for some damage.

23. Red continues to get attacked, but has been real lucky so far (used 1 Fate Point).

24. Preacher punches again.

25. Masters has dropped yet another toad demon (that makes 4 total).

26. Aaand Red finally hits one with a REAL gun (his rifle) and does 15 damage, taking him down.

27. I shoot him for 13 damage, but the bastard is still up.

28. Preacher punches him one last time for 4 damage, which knocks it over but then I shoot it again. Then Preacher comes over and shoots it once more.

29. And we all watch as Doc expires in a spreading pool of his own blood. And we yell "Dooooooooc!!"

We find a bunch of female outer wear. IT's all ripped up. Womenfolk must be naked in the cave. Not good for them. There's the smell of vomit and urine and we see saddlebags. Saddlebags are full of money. We found the payroll!

And then we hear a couple of blood-curdling screams.

K_Peterson

Session #2 consisted of a little investigation and a whole lot of combat. There was a gunfight between the PCs and a pair of outlaw riflemen; a struggle in a sandy pit with 6 rattlesnakes; and a mixture of close combat and gunfire between the PCs and a group of 7 Sand Dwellers. (The PCs bearing the guns, of course).

I actually took it easy on the Investigators, because I thought that I'd get a total party kill if I stuck with the adventure as written. I skipped an encounter with scorpions, reduced the number of outlaw riflemen, and dropped the number of Sand Dwellers in that specific conflict. I wanted to save a little 'drama' for the final encounter - to provide them with a challenge but not go overboard. I had 5 Investigators, but felt I still needed to scale things down some.

In the end, the Investigators were hard-pressed. Fate points were spent very freely - such that, not many Investigators have many Fate points remaining. Still, one Investigator was killed in the conflict with the Sand Dwellers. Sadly, the doctor!

Next session will bring this phase of the campaign to its conclusion. And it will be extremely challenging. They've got another group of Sand Dwellers to face, plus the outlaw, Crazy-Eyed Pete. Add on top of that a ritual to summon Arwassa, and we've got a serious recipe for Investigator death and insanity.

One of our Investigators is extremely solid in terms of Sanity - and he might be the only one that could survive the terror of confronting a Great Old One. I'm not so confident that the other Investigators won't go permanently insane after next session.

K_Peterson
Again, I think you've tinkered reasonably well and in keeping with the Western setting and slightly pulpy tone of game your group likes.

It's turned out fairly well so far, but I wouldn't have minded a little more time to work out the inconsistencies and solidify my house rules. I was expecting to have another 2 weeks of prep before the campaign started - but the prior GM's campaign ended quickly so I had to pull things together.

Cole

Having never read this scenario of Osk, I get a good picture of the delightful pulpy tone of the piece from your description. Sounds like a good time at the table from here.

Gol-Goroth
Having never read this scenario of Osk, I get a good picture of the delightful pulpy tone of the piece from your description. Sounds like a good time at the table from here.

It's a western... It's Call of Cthulhu... The bad guy is called "Crazy Eyed Pete"! Of Course it's pulpy. Pulpy with extra pulp! I came to the mythos via R.E. Howard and only found my way to Lovecraft later. The love of pulpy mythos never really left me.

K_Peterson

Session #3 Log

Session 3 -- 1/17/11

We just defeated a bunch of toadmen and found ripped up women's clothing at the entrance to the cave the toadmen came out of. He then heard screaming. We also found the entire payroll at the entrance of the cave.

We are now deciding whether to go in or leave and head back to town.

Everyone spent their Improvement Rolls.

We enter the cave with Red first, Sam second, Mick and Preacher. We follow the cave into a widening corridor and ends at a massive pit that just drops straight down. There is a spiral staircase with no railing going down. The whole area is dimly light ambiently. There is a barely audible drone coming from the pit.

Every so often, there is a high pitched scream echoing up through the pit. So naturally we go down the spiral staircase. Are we gullible, stupid PCs or what? We consider blowing up the pit with a large bundle of dynamite.

We feel like we could be sneaky. Casey sneaks critically. I sneak as well.

We go through some weird tiled passageways that create an illusion of a solar system with strange writings on it. Black slate material that can be scratched with a knife.

Droning and screaming coming from a large area in front of us. We come to the threshold and see a big chamber tiled with the same black rock with silver engravings that just seem to float in the air. Against the far wall is an altar of smooth polished black stone with 4 scantily clad women with blindfolds, but not gagged. They are yelling and screaming. Thrashing around in undergarments. Before the altar are a group of figures. Rather distracted--ceremony. More toadmen (7) of them. One is clad in a pale blue robe. And also Crazy Eye Pete. Low droning noise.

Time to go rifle hunting for toadmen (and Pete). With initiative, Red and Sam shoot and kill Pete from long range. Ha! Suck it, Pete. Micah hurls dynamite lit by Mick. Dynamite goes out. Then we attempt to shoot them before we die. Sadly, Red missed and I did piddly damage. Despite dynamite exploding and bullets hitting them, they don't fall. Dynamite takes out three, then it gets close combat-y. Micah's first shot with a rifle missed. We've missed 3 potential hits so far. Ooops. Micah finally nails one for 15 points. They are going down! Only two left plus the robed priest one. One fumbles while attacking Casey! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. THEY CONTINUE TO MISS! Red kills the one that fumbled. HA! KILLED THEM ALL!

The priest remains. [The Keeper] rolled so poorly. We actually killed all the toadmen and Pete. We approach the altar. Mick sticks dynamite in the priest's mouth, drags him away, and lights the fuse. Then he runs.

Before that happens, Pete gurgles out "it's too late." Then a rip in space-time opens up, filling the cave with foul-smelling (a gangrenous wound) mist. Inside, is a greenish, swirling terrain. This is bad.

Something has moved through the rift into the room. A bad, bad thing. 20 foot long tentacles is all I see, though it's attached to a ball with a neck. The neck has an orifice. There's no sound when it opens and closes the orifice. It floats into the room. It's a great old one. And I think that some of us go insane.

Sam is probably going insane...and we roll...aaaand I roll d100 for Sanity Loss. I get a 15. I'm not totally insane! 17 Sanity left. I release a torrent of babbling incoherent speech after dropping everything in my hands. But I'm not permanently insane. I'm totally batsh*t for SIX MONTHS. But I'll probably die.

The Great Old One hits a prostitute for 34 damage. She's pulped. Another prostitute goes insane. It kills another prostitute. It goes for Red and Micah. Hits both of them. Red evades. Micah fumbles his Evade. And Preacher takes 35 damage and is pulped.

GM: 2 (Micah and Sam)

Mick is in the tunnel. Red still has a chance of dying though! Revise that: Red is f*cked. Sam gets eaten. Because I'm insane. Red dodges again. Casey shoots it for 33 damage, but then takes 33 damage when it finally hits him. Epic death.

And then, in an amazing stroke of luck, Mick Farraday drops dynamite directly onto its head, killing it!!!! Mick escapes and regains his Sanity loss (of 1 point). Exactly 75 damage was dealt, the amount needed to drop it. It faded away back to its home dimension.

GO MICK! Mick escapes back to Sandy Gulch, where he receives the full reward for delivering the payroll.

3 PCs died. No hookers survived.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this