Sign in to follow this  
erickdredd

Chaosium site insecure?

Radical Therapy

Thank you everyone for alerting the boards to this problem; I purchased a monograph from Chaosium recently and have just sent for a new card before any unsavory charges could be made.

Frank2769

I ordered via Paypal and had two unauthorized transactions since the purchase. I wrote to Charlie and they are looking into it. Has anyone else here contacted them directly besides me?

PoC

Were those two unauthorised PayPal transactions or two transactions dealing straight with your credit card?

yockenthwaite
I wrote to Charlie and they are looking into it. Has anyone else here contacted them directly besides me?

Lots of us have contacted them (see earlier posts in this thread). I emailed Charlie and Customer Services but haven't had any reply. I'm just glad they know about it.

Frank2769

They were unauthorized Paypal transactions and were not related to a credit card at all. It may be just a coincidence but I just wanted to chime in and see if anyone else had a similar problem. I have always used Paypal with Chaosium and never had a problem. I can't even say that it's their fault at all. In the meantime I scrubbed my pc clean and have an Elder Sign as my wallpaper to keep the Great Old Ones from messing with my limited finances.

cjearkham
They were unauthorized Paypal transactions and were not related to a credit card at all. It may be just a coincidence but I just wanted to chime in and see if anyone else had a similar problem.

FYI, I ordered on the 21st and paid with credit card via PayPal. No transactions since then.

Af

What does Chaosium have to say about this?

yockenthwaite
What does Chaosium have to say about this?

No idea. They haven't replied to my emails (of 30th November) at all. And sorry folks, but phoning up isn't an option for me, not just because I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

I'm really hoping they are investigating things, and fixing what appears to be a big security hole.

Af
No idea. They haven't replied to my emails (of 30th November) at all. And sorry folks, but phoning up isn't an option for me, not just because I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

I'm really hoping they are investigating things, and fixing what appears to be a big security hole.

I was hoping to buy some printed monographs, but since the site is probably insecure I may have to settle for some pdfs purchased elsewhere. I've e mailed Dustin. If I get any reply I'll post it here.

Af
...Leaving this issue to fester will just undermine confidence in their online store and force people to take their business elsewhere (Amazon.com).

I wish that Chaosium would sell printed monographs through Amazon.com and Amazon UK. I'd buy much more from them if they did.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

No response from them on the issue, but they delivered my order in record time. I am quite happy about that!

02fc5fd28e1eb69469d634002188bd8e.png

StephanieMcAlea

c'mon Chaos dudes! Confidence is the key to business! answer an e-mail!

lawrenson

Hi,

not sure how Paypal can have unauthorized transactions?

Did you set some invoices sent to you, to pay?

Cheers,

Karen

WinstonP

Has anyone with stolen card info tried calling Chaosium? What has been their response?

Tristan

Same issue here for an order done mid-September. I discovered one week later that that very same day, my card got charged by 600 euros by an online travel agency - I didn't connect both events then, since the fraud was from inside the EU, but looking at this thread, I guess it's impossible to doubt.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Any new incidents? I imagine that by this time, the credit card fraud investigators would have had time to figure out that there was a nexus of events after a transaction? My credit card company was good enough to credit me, but I also feel that Chaosium has to say something to its loyal customers. I don't expect a grovelly apology, but please guys, say something.

Gil_Trevizo
My credit card company was good enough to credit me, but I also feel that Chaosium has to say something to its loyal customers. I don't expect a grovelly apology, but please guys, say something.

Although I thankfully haven't (yet) been hit, I don't think there's anything that Chaosium could say that would motivate me to purchase from their website again. Based on so many accounts of false charges, there's no way I'm going risk using the site and really wish there was some way that I could scrub whatever information I've already given Chaosium in my transactions with them. Now, I am in the lucky spot that I live in the Bay Area, and I always see the Chaosium booth at three gaming conventions every year; so, I don't usually need the website to get monographs, which seems to be the only thing that Chaosium sells on their website that isn't available thru Amazon. That said, even if I were to move or there was some special purchase that could only be made through the website (i.e. a limited special version of CoC 7th edition), I don't think I could ever trust Chaosium seeing as how threadbare an operation it seems. I'd like to think Paypal transactions would be secure with them, but I just don't know.

yockenthwaite

I'd just like them to acknowledge if there is a problem, and let us know when it has been fixed. At the moment it's a case of silence, despite lots and lots of people reporting problems.

I can't buy from Chaosium directly, other than through mail order. And I buy a lot of PDFs, which sometimes are only available from Chaosium directly and not from RPGNow etc.

I would like to buy from them again. But having been stung once, and possibly through their website, I'm very wary.

GHill

When I saw this thread's start date, my first thought was I wonder how they resolved it? I'm rather surprised there hasn't been any kind of response from Chaosium.

[Edit] then immediately after posting I wondered whether any acknowledgement by Chaosium might be taken by the credit card companies as an admission.

As I understand it the Credit Card companies will always try to hang any fraud related losses on the retailer.

As such I suspect you probably shouldn't expect to hear anything from Chaosium.

jasonw1239

As a monograph author I am troubled by this whole situation.

The online shop is the only channel for sales of the monographs.

As buyer confidence evaporates it will have a series impact on monograph sales.

At the very least Chaosium should take steps to secure the site and make an announcement about actions they are taking to increase security of their ordering and checkout process.

yockenthwaite

Even if they won't admit anything that could lead to liability Chaosium need to reassure their customers to rebuild confidence. Saying nothing isn't a viable option IMHO.

trevlix

Guess what I got from today from a CC I used on Chaosium a few weeks ago? Yep, a fraud alert. :(

Xipuloxx
As a monograph author I am troubled by this whole situation.

The online shop is the only channel for sales of the monographs.

As buyer confidence evaporates it will have a series impact on monograph sales.

At the very least Chaosium should take steps to secure the site and make an announcement about actions they are taking to increase security of their ordering and checkout process.

Even if they won't admit anything that could lead to liability Chaosium need to reassure their customers to rebuild confidence. Saying nothing isn't a viable option IMHO.

I have to say, this is all very alarming to me. I've never bought anything from Chaosium's website, but I was planning to. Now? No chance! They really aren't doing themselves any favours by not publicly addressing this.

Perhaps those of you who've contacted them and received no reply should let them know about this thread. If they realise how bad it looks they might post here or something!

trevlix

I'll say that I did contact them and received a reply that they are working on the issue. I don't feel comfortable saying more than that, but suffice to say they are dealing with the issue.

sraymonds

Just going out and publicly stating that they are looking into the problem would go a long way to assuage the fears of potential customers. As it is right now, I’m checking my bank account every other day despite having used Paypal for my last few purchases.