daedalus2309

Curse of the Yellow Sign Act III: Archimedes 7

jeffszusz
daedalus2309 said:
Sorry for a late reply, busy week.

Any way to be as clear as possible:

1. Oliver Price has no flashbacks. The scenario says, pretty clearly, that every character is supposed to have them. Please update this somewhere.

2. The mention of robots in the text once or twice without their actual inclusion in the map or stats seemed weird. This wasn't a huge deal.

3. What happens when/if the characters awaken other prisoners from cryosleep? I don't want to just make a corpse fall out of every one of the 64 additional chambers.

4. The playtest notes request should have been clear. For example, act 1 had had notes about how the captain tended to stay back, about how Gregor was usually zealous, how one character tried to modify his hands to fit a panel etc. These are the sort of things that are useful.

5. Notes on Archimedes would be VERY helpful. He's an evil computer, sure. But as my only method of interacting with the players I'd expect advice beyond he's nihilistic. What does he say to whom, for example.

6. My biggest problem, as mentioned by toombs: how do I get these guys to kill each other? Looks like I'm basically going to have to take my players (who are a remarkably cohesive bunch) aside after flashback three and tell them: you're crazy now and want to kill everyone. Any tips on how to carry this out without the feeling of railroading?

I don't want my money back. Someone once said a writer's best friend is his critic.

I don't know John's intentions when writing the scenario but here are some suggestions:

5. Sounds to me as though Archimedes should be played as a cross between an evil elder god and Paranoia's crazy Friend Computer.

6. Rather than tell them "you want to kill everyone", tell them each privately that, "You feel instinctively that these people aren't who they appear to be - and when they look at you, you can tell that they seem... hungry."

That will really fork with them.

The_Tatterdemalion_King
I don't want my money back. Someone once said a writer's best friend is his critic.

That person was not John Wick : P

plx l Wulfen
That person was not John Wick : P

heh, clearly not.

Uuklay

I played through Act 1 with my players, and we really enjoyed it. The tension between the characters really made it a fun night. I liked that I set up the scenario, told the players where they were and what was going on, and then just kind of shut up for a while. It honestly was really fun to to take the back seat for a change and just throw a wrench into the machine every now and then.

Having said that, I'd like to echo what others said about the openness of the game. There was a point, after I'd revealed most things to the players, that they didn't really know what to do. Most of the PCs were dead, but the surviving ones had to kind of make up reasons for their next moves. I ended up stepping in as the Man in Black a lot more than I wanted to.

I think what would help with that would be a list of possible events, or a probable layout of how the game might go. It was a really fun and really unique game night, but a little more direction would have been nice.

yellowsigh

also, any review that bothers to give something a 5.5 out of 5 is clearly biased in someway, and doesn't really help much either. You don't read reviews for a ridiculous level of praise. you read reviews to find out the facts of your chosen item, so you can better judge the potential purchase of said item.

Sorry, my bad.

I didn't copycheck the review when I sent it in, so where the overall rating should've been an average of a couple of five out of fives and a four and a half out of five, I changed a four to a five and missed the 'and a half'. Yes, I like the King in Yellow. But no, I'm not that zealous.

The last Act of the trilogy was a little bit of a let down. I loved the second Act as it was something similar to those King in Yellow stories I'd most loved elsewhere. Whilst I don't mind the sandbox nature of the Acts that much I felt a little let down by the lack of a fitting conclusion to the trilogy. Having run some Insylum before I've discovered that amnesiacs are not the most interesting characters to run with, even when tied in with the King in Yellow. I'll probably run it as a freeform scenario (or Cthulhu Dark) for some of my indie RPG pals, but I think fans of CoC and dicerolling would find little to get their teeth into.

Would have loved some big interaction with Carcosa, or the King, but it's all left to the players to provide the story, with the KiYisms being left for the Keeper to know about. I'd most likely give the final Act a three and a half or a four out of five, if I were to write a proper review.

Sorry John! :-/

spookymizu

So, I'm going to be running this scenario this weekend.  I have run the two previous acts to the great delight of my gaming crew.

Looking for some thoughts, ideas, and suggestions on how to run a few things on this open-ended space adventure.

I'm am fortunate enough to have an empty house to use for playing. Totally empty. The only furniture is one table.  It's going to be a lot of fun!

Thus far, I'm planning on using the Xmas lights on the floor to shape the hallways of the ship. I am thinking of having the group getting into hospital gowns and lay on the floor until the computer wakes them individually.

Things I'm wondering about:

*Did anybody come up with stats or descriptions of the three robots that awaken when Archie is reset?

*Anybody feel funny about the sanity stats of the characters once they revert to their original personalities? I was thinking about changing their sanity totals to zero or in the teens at the most, but just for their psychotic versions.

*On page 124 of the Kickstarter collection, it states that each character has five memories, but I'm only finding three. Did anybody add some memories?  Am I missing something here?

*I'm concerned about dressing in the Black outfit I used for the previous two acts. If I do, they won't trust Archie at all. I'm thinking of starting Archie very casually, maybe even wearing a Hawaiian shirt, and then slowly switching to the black formal outfit. How did you dress?

*In the course of one paragraph, the author says the vents are locked, but then says they are open when the characters awaken. How did you play this?

*Why are there ten bodies when there are only six crew members, with one still alive? Maybe Archie woke up some other members of the Cargo first?

What music did you use?  I am definitely going with the Wick mp3, but maybe augmenting it with some other pieces.

Any other suggestions on how to successfully run this scenario?

Thanks for the help.

Spookymizu

(edited for grammar, spelling, and clarification)

Merudo
On 15/11/2010 at 16:08, JohnWick said:

And to answer WiseWolf--you don't have to "change it a lot to make it work," but you do have a lot of improvising on your hands... no more than I would expect from any other scenario.

Hi @JohnWick! I'm considering buying your scenario, Archimedes 7. However, I'm a bit concerned because some aspects of the scenario seem unclear. Daedalus2309 made the following list:

Hide contents

1. Oliver Price has no flashbacks. The scenario says, pretty clearly, that every character is supposed to have them. Please update this somewhere.

2. The mention of robots in the text once or twice without their actual inclusion in the map or stats seemed weird. This wasn't a huge deal.

3. What happens when/if the characters awaken other prisoners from cryosleep? I don't want to just make a corpse fall out of every one of the 64 additional chambers.

4. The playtest notes request should have been clear. For example, act 1 had had notes about how the captain tended to stay back, about how Gregor was usually zealous, how one character tried to modify his hands to fit a panel etc. These are the sort of things that are useful.

5. Notes on Archimedes would be VERY helpful. He's an evil computer, sure. But as my only method of interacting with the players I'd expect advice beyond he's nihilistic. What does he say to whom, for example.

6. My biggest problem, as mentioned by toombs: how do I get these guys to kill each other? Looks like I'm basically going to have to take my players (who are a remarkably cohesive bunch) aside after flashback three and tell them: you're crazy now and want to kill everyone. Any tips on how to carry this out without the feeling of railroading?

Point #1 & #6 seem especially problematic to me. I would really appreciate if you could elaborate a bit on them.

Thanks!

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now