PoC

Some Forum Re-organisation

StephanieMcAlea

I still think we should have a 'In Memorium' section. That way we can say a little about Doc and HPL and one or two others. Doesn't have to be prominent. A little gallery of loved Cthulumni who have passed beyond the veil of sleep. I am primarily think of Doc Herber and Badgers above post when I say this...

PoC

Regarding tributes to the likes of HPL and Doc Herber then a dedicated article may serve a better purpose than a stickied thread (which tend to suffer from "sticky blindness" after a short time).

Links to such articles in your signature are a great way of keeping access to that information (and those memories) current.

trevlix

In the Yoggie chat last night someone asked about something which I thought sounded good. Are there any plugins which would automatically extract an entire thread into a PDF? I think for instances like the 'In Memorium' threads, that would be perfect.

allicorn

If there aren't, I'm fairly sure I could put one together.

Alli

Badger
Regarding tributes to the likes of HPL and Doc Herber then a dedicated article may serve a better purpose than a stickied thread (which tend to suffer from "sticky blindness" after a short time).

Links to such articles in your signature are a great way of keeping access to that information (and those memories) current.

So until someone writes up these dedicated articles, the now non-sticky posts are just going to fall by the wayside? That's really upsetting to me, to be perfectly honest.

-=badger

Afraid of the dark

Any chance of that tome seeker as a stickie, as that was REALLY useful, and finding it now is no where near as easy. Someone put a lot of work into that (very appreciated by me) and it seems a shame for it to be hidden away.

PoC

A new edition of the Tome Seeker is being worked on, in the meantime you can download an offline version via my previous post in this thread:

Tome Seeker files.

PoC

For the New Year we'll be looking into some further forum re-organisation/merging to reduce the (rather hefty) number of forum areas we currently have (c. 20) and to tighten up scrolling page length. Mostly based on traffic.

Under consideration:

• Merge Convention News & Tournament Talk with Meetings & Greetings -> Conventions, Meetings & Greetings forum [prefix tag: Convention] - Done
  • Move Publishers forum into a renamed forum area with Book of Dark Wisdom and Unfilmable forums - > Mythos Media & Publishers (forum area) -Done
  • Merging of Gaslight with Classic [prefix tag for Gaslight] - Done
  • Merge Lovecraftian Live Action with Cthulhu Electric Card Board Club [prefix tag: Live Action] - Done
  • Merge Yog Radio & Site News forums [prefix tag: Site News] - or - move Yog Radio forum over to Mythos Media & Publishers forum area - Done

Nothing is set in stone but fewer, more active forums are generally better and help other forum areas overall.

[updated]

ElijahWhateley

I like the sound of most of those changes, except for combining the Electric Card Board Club with Live Action. Those are two very different subjects, and if I'm curious about one I'm usually not simultaneously curious about the other. Also, given the very slow rate of Live Action posts, they would get buried under ECBC posts, making the title even more misleading.

PoC

"Live Action" can be considered to fall under the "Not Tabletop RPG" category (which is a part of what CECBC is). With "Live Action" having so few posts it's one of the main reasons for its proposed amalgamation.

The title (and description) would be updated to reflect any such change.

Tigger_MK4

Fair nuff. My suggestion would be that mythos media is the better area of the two for yog radio, given its not just the bradford group that post audios there ?

GothicPrincess1974

Hiya,

I'm the managing editor at Stardust Publications and I've been trying to post some notices about our recent releases in the Publishers forum, but I keep getting a message telling me something about a Thread Prefix that I need to add or something like that. What do I need to do to post our notices?

PoC

Currently the Publishers forum is for specific Cthulhu publishers who have a direct arrangement with us and used to have full forums (e.g. Cubicle 7, Pagan, TUO etc. - as seen on the prefix list).

For other commercial announcements please use the Arkham Market Square forum. There are [Press Release]/ [sell] prefixes there that may be of use?

Cheers!

PoC

A little more re-organisation, which I anticipate will be the last for some time.

• "The Game" forum has been renamed "General Discussion" - as that's what the descriptor has said for a long time anyway.
  • The Yog Radio forum has been renamed to the more general "Mythophonia" to help emphasise that's it's not just about YSDC audio.
  • The Publishers' forum has been amalgamated into Arkham Market Square due to the longstanding very light traffic of the Publishers' forum itself. This solves a few issues including where new/alternate publishers should post (e.g. when talking about fundraisers) and makes Arkham Market Square the default forum for all commercially related discussion. A series of prefix tags mean that threads for relevant publishers and commercial subjects can easily be distinguished via the filter option at the bottom of the page.
  • A trial [spoilers] prefix tag has been added to the "General Discussion" forum for those wishing to label an entire thread that way. Using the text-specific Spoiler forum code in your posts may still be the best way.

I'm hoping all this will give us a suitable balance between subject traffic, information and number of forums.

WiseWolf

Thanks, Paul. The changes make sense.

PoC

Every so often I revisit the forum organisation to see if it can be made more efficient in line with current use.

In this case a few modifications:

• The Trail of Cthulhu forum has been moved into the re-named "Call of Cthulhu & Trail of Cthulhu" forum area (so it's no longer a separate forum area of "1" - we have a few of those).
  • The "Mythophonia" forum has been folded into "Unshowable" to boost the activity of each. A set of new thread tags have been added [Film], [TV], [Music], [Theatre] etc. to help identify relevant threads.
  • Cthulhu Antiquita has been folded into the previous Gaslight & Jazz Age forum, now renamed: Ancient, Gaslight & Jazz Age. i.e. covering all the main historically specific periods of play.

The overall effect of this helps reduce scrolling on the main forum page, providing a slightly less daunting number of forum areas.

[updated]

PoC

Historically, Modern & Contemporary has always been one of the more lightly trafficked areas, so for 2017 it's been folded into the main era-specific forum which has now been re-named "Common Eras of Play" [though I suspect there may be a better name for it].

I've added a Modern tag to all relevant posts going back at least three years so they are easily identifiable (more topics will be tagged as and when they pop up on the radar).

This means that currently under the Cthulhu & Lovecraftian Games section we have:

Cthulhu General

General discussion about Cthulhu RPGs. For period specific topics, see the relevant forum.

Common Eras of Play
Covering common historical periods in Cthulhu games such as Ancient, Gaslight, Jazz Age, World War and Modern.

Other Settings
For Dreamlands, futuristic, fantasy, Pulp and other settings and different eras of play.

Trail of Cthulhu
Gumshoe Cthulhu RPG.

Cthulhu Electric Card Board Live
For discussion of all other kinds of tabletop, electronic & LARP games using Lovecraft or the Cthulhu Mythos as a basis

Essentially it's the folding in of one sub-forum to provide a general game discussion forum and a period specific one (+ "other"). ;-)