Sign in to follow this  
tlynch999

Status Report: More Adventures in Arkham Country

tlynch999
I started plugging the handouts into the layout over the past couple of days.

Yes. Yes, he has. Badger has even sent me a draft layout of one of the scenarios. He has, in short, done a masterful job, and I'm getting very excited. To quote my partner in crime from our IM chat just now:

(8:36:45 AM) Osk: as a first glance and first impression...

(8:36:51 AM) Osk: wow

Oh, and the handouts? Remember, Badger is only seeing the black and white ones. I've seen the color ones....and....well....yeah....I can't say enough.

Mograg

Cool beans on all counts!

8)

- Brian C.

Dr_Locrian

Pre-Order clicked and done! Looking forward to this book, and it'll see use right away: we're in the middle of Wasted Youth, and we're moving on to Spirit of Industry and Malice Everlasting next.

tlynch999

So you have! The bank account and I thank you greatly!

And the book is getting closer to completion, folks! We have a few extra pieces of art we're dropping in, as Badger continues to slave away at the layout. We are also getting our ads together for the back of the book so we can continue to hawk our future wares, and those of our strategic partners.

Vyrus

Tom,

I've just preordered a copy! and really looking forward to it!

I recently bought a copy of New Tales of the Miskatonic Valley and was very impressed with the production quality. The scenarios are really great, and I can't wait to unleash them on my players.

You guys are doing a great job!

tlynch999
Tom,

I've just preordered a copy! and really looking forward to it!

Thank you thank you! I saw that!

I recently bought a copy of New Tales of the Miskatonic Valley and was very impressed with the production quality. The scenarios are really great, and I can't wait to unleash them on my players.

Thank you...that was a lot of fun to put together, and I learned an incredible amount under Doc's guiding hand.

You guys are doing a great job!

Wow...thanks. We work hard at it, and hope it shows. :oops:

In other news...do you know Christian? He's in Paris...about 35 minutes away from Poissy according to Google. He's and old friend of Doc's (and now Osk's friend and mine), a fan of MRP, and a long-time CoC player. Why do I feel like a match-maker all of a sudden?

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Just curious, but what software do you use to prepare a book like this?

tlynch999

Which part of the book? Which part of the process?

NTMV and Sorrows were laid out in Quark with maps drawn in Illustrator and Photoshop. More Adventures applied pretty much the Adobe Suite:

Layout - InDesign

Map Editing (tweaking Chaosium Maps) - Photoshop

Map Creation (Steff) - Illustrator

Cover Creation and Design - Photoshop (same w/ Sorrows...not sure on NTMV...Doc didn't say)

Does that help?

Badger

You ain't seen nuthin' yet. :twisted:

-=b

Badger

Which part of the book? Which part of the process?

<snip>

You forgot all the lovely (and not) text editors the various authors used. ;)

-=b

tlynch999

You ain't seen nuthin' yet. :twisted:

Yes...Badger has a point...we've upgraded since the first book.

1. We hired a cartographer...so the maps are NICE...not merely functional.

2. The HPLHS handouts will be *in* this book...not separate.

3. We have this layout guy doing some unexpected, cool stuff in the layout to make the book look slicker, but staying the spirit of the easy-to-read, easy-to-use books we like to make.

Oh and

You forgot all the lovely (and not) text editors the various authors used. ;)

Nope...I left those out deliberately. 8O We'll get better at cleaning it up before you get it...I swear.

Max_Writer

I like the idea of free pdfs of handouts personally.

StephanieMcAlea
Map Creation (Steff) - Illustrator

I LIVE by Adobe Illustrator CS3. I can't imagine drawing in anything else (other than with my own hands.)

Vyrus
I like the idea of free pdfs of handouts personally

Although its good to have a copy of the handouts in the book I invariably need to print them out and so not wanting to damage my precious book, it's great to have the pdfs.

I love the idea of HPLS handouts. I have their CD with all their great handout goodness and love making the passports, etc as surprises for my players.

My next project is a small cardboard theatre with cardboard cutout characters to represent the play at the start of Tatters of the King!

In other news...do you know Christian?

I don't but will try to remedy that...

Badger
I like the idea of free pdfs of handouts personally.

I hear ya, but when Tom says "There are about forty (yes...40) handouts, and color ones and customizable ones will be well worth your while.", understand that that's a LOT of handouts to have the HPLHS crank out. If we were talking 5 or 10, sure, but i think it's reasonable ask for a little something to offset the cost of so many.

Trust me. It'll be worth it.

-=b

Vyrus

ooops I wrote too quickly for my brain to catch up.

What I meant to say was;

Actually although I prefer free pdf handouts to no pdf handouts, I think the extra cost of buying HPLS handouts is well worth it.

I generally end up taking pdf handouts and working on them to make them look like real newspaper clippings, or old parchment, etc, so to have that hard work performed by HPLS is definately worth paying for. (Especially as they'll do a lot more professional work than me!)

tlynch999
Trust me. It'll be worth it.

Thanks, Badger...I appreciate that, Sir.

And Vyrus,

...I prefer free pdf handouts to no pdf handouts, I think the extra cost of buying HPLS handouts is well worth it.

Yes. Yes it will.

What's that?

You want a peak?

You want to see what they're like?

Heh-heh. Oooookay!

Here they are (no, this isn't all 40):

MAiACpropsArraySm.jpg

NOW, keep in mind...those are pictures in grayscale. The ones Andrew made are in full, eye-popping, tear-inducing color. And the bank-breaker price? They're planning on asking for $3.95. Think you can pony up for that one? :-)

StephanieMcAlea

oh wow.. ooh. seriously... my artsy side is now going to stalk the HPLHS.

Max_Writer

Yeah - $4 will make it worth it. Is this going to be available by Origins or Gen Con?

Vyrus

Holey moley they are niiice! even in greyscale!

Gol-Goroth

Tom and I were just talking seriously about this.

We are going to do our very best to have this our by Origins... That's our target.

sda

We are going to do our very best to have this our by Origins... That's our target.

When is that, exactly?

WinstonP

When is that, exactly?

June 23 through June 27

(he posts staring at the calendar waiting and hoping...)

Max_Writer

Are you guys going to be there? If so, stop by the Kenzerco booth - I'll be working there.

tlynch999

Are you guys going to be there? If so, stop by the Kenzerco booth - I'll be working there.

Osk will be there, working with the TerrorWerks crew. I'm going to miss this one.