PoC

Site Upgrades

MrHandy

That explains why it was affecting me too. I often open multiple tabs on this site too.

PoC

Out of curiosity, does the site get enough traffic to need that sort of throttling, or is it just relative versus hardware limits?

We get a lot of traffic.

I have just dropped four figures on a new server configuration.

trevlix

We get a lot of traffic.

In the last 6 days, the site has passed about 90GB of traffic. About 3/4 is outbound traffic (people downloading files, images, etc.)

PoC

90 GB? Mere bagatelle!

The summer months are lighter and fortunately we're passing some of the strain over to Vimeo and SoundCloud these days as well.

PoC

We're now back (I think) after the server move. At some expense both root level server software and physical hardware have been updated

We're currently assessing any outstanding issues but *hopefully* we shouldn't need any more changes doing.

Thanks for your patience.

[Update: Apparently I lied. The web hosts didn't do all they were supposed to do. Waiting to hear back.]

PoC

We'll be offline again for a few hours tomorrow morning (Saturday, 1st August) as the server software upgrades that were missed yesterday are implemented.

PoC

OK, we're back.

Doing the usual round of checks, but that should be it .

[Update: Sorting out issues with image/uploads - should now be fixed.]

PoC

We should now be back to our usual running after a few weeks of up and down. In essence:

• The operating system, server and SQL software have had major upgrades.
  • We changed the database format to be more efficient.
  • We're now running on several multi-terabyte drives in a RAID 10 configuration.
  • The Yoggie coffers are now officially empty.

Much time, effort and a four-figure rebuild for what essentially looks like no change at all (except we may appear a little "zippier" than before), however it does mean we're still here and in a good position for any future front end upgrades in 2016.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding while getting all this sorted out (and also to @trevlix and @allicorn for their sterling work).

If you still find any outstanding issues, do let us know.

Thank you.

PoC

Yoggie's primary site software has had its life extended through 2016 which means we won't be forced to upgrade in the New Year. This allows us increased time to evaluate the maturity of the next platform (a good thing).

PoC

We've pencilled in the weekend of 2nd-3rd June for our next major site upgrade. Look out for confirmation nearer the time either here (or via @YSDC on Twitter).

Think of it as a "weekend off" for Olde Yoggie (though in reality, not, from a behind-the-scenes point of view). ;-)

PoC

Just a reminder that a site update/upgrade is planned for this weekend (2nd-3rd June).

Apologies for the inconvenience but it's essential work. When we're back new registrations should also be open again.

PoC

...aaand we're back.

Mostly. 😉

After an extended weekend away "Olde Yoggie" is open once again, this time running on our sixth generation of software since 1998. The upgrade has not been plain sailing (we're dealing with many years of multi-format content), but it's something we needed to do now, both for site security and for legal compliance. New software features have appeared and a few old ones have gone (we're working on rebuilding some of them). For ease I'll bullet point the main items:

• Trouble signing back in? Use the "Forgot your Password?" option in the login box to reset. Also try logging in on a different device (desktop/mobile) to see if that's an initial issue.
  • If you had a separate login username and display name - this has now been converted. Your Display Name is now your login.
  • Not receiving a password reset email? It goes to your account email address. Is that your current email address? Also check spam filters etc.
  • Currently inactive: The Keep, Players' Directory.
  • Everything SSL. Not just accounts and purchases - the entire site is now secured under https://...
  • New registrations are open again.
  • "Contact us" web form is also back.
  • We now accept Credit Cards, Apple Pay/Google Pay and PayPal.
  • The should be a much better "mobile" (phone/tablet) view of the web site.
  • You can now add cover photos to your profile. When people hover their mouse over your avatar they will see it.
  • Cookie info. bar appearing at bottom of site. Read and/or dismiss it.
  • If you can't access something you used to (e.g. you get a "permission denied") let me know. (There are a lot of settings on software this size.)
  • New Features: include "Drag 'n Drop" file attachment uploads and you can now simply type @PoC for example to mention/link to a profile. There's also an updated YSDC Patron subscription page if you fancy signing up. ;-)
  • Finding new content: is.... different... See the [Activity] tab at the top of the site. I'm looking into creating some sort of straightforward "New Posts" button as well. Meanwhile the [Activity] tab and its sub-menus cover quite a lot of ground (and the settings are customisable & saveable).

I would like to give a shoutout to my two fellow admins, @allicorn and @trevlix for their fantastic work these past few days. Without them I wouldn't be able to type this now. Thank you gentlemen!

We've still got some work to do, but we're open and still online some two decades on! We very much appreciate you staying with us, and making Yog-Sothoth what it is.

Thank you.

Paul

P.S. These are what the previous iterations of YSDC looked like over the past 20 years...

ysdc-web-page-collage-1998-2018.jpg

Robbie

Paul, an amazingly splendid update. Quite incredible, my sign up from fifteen years ago allowed me back in (with a password change).

I’m going to have a good look around in the morning.

numtini

Wonderful! I can get back to not working at work.

Shimmin Beg

At some point we should really crowdfund for you to write a history of Old Yoggie and its associated everythings. First actual play podcast, loads of podcasts in general, long-lived massive and incredibly polite forums, convention, things that happen because of people meeting here, Masks Companion, in-house publications... there's a lot going on here.

PoC
15 minutes ago, Robbie said:

Quite incredible, my sign up from fifteen years ago allowed me back in (with a password change).

Thank you @Robbie! (Robbie was the first YSDC coder and admin after me, having created (much better) incarnations of the Players' Directory and Collectors' Database than I did. ;-)

Good to see you my friend.

6 minutes ago, Shimmin Beg said:

... there's a lot going on here.

I am truly grateful I don't do this alone!

trevlix

AHHHH! The green!!! SAN loss 1d4/1d6!!!

andreroy

Hmm, every time I log off (or get logged off), it won't accept my password despite being correctly imputed. So need to change my password every time I want to log on.

Love the new look though.

dredstar

A small thing.

a very small thing.

Just spent half an hour updating my profile picture, as the profile page refuses to accept any JPG bigger than 100k. Even then, asks for me to crop it smaller anyway

Admittedly, my image software is older than this website...

Well, at least it's done, and I won't have to do it again....

carnage_lee

Nice job and great to see old Yoggie back with us!

PoC
8 hours ago, andreroy said:

Hmm, every time I log off (or get logged off), it won't accept my password despite being correctly imputed. So need to change my password every time I want to log on.

Hmm, indeed odd! We'll have a look - I don't know why it would do that. If you don't already use it there's the "Remember Me" checkbox on the sign-in page that may help temporarily? [Update - are you in a corporate/Uni environment? Sometimes the IP addresses from intranets can get confused.]

5 hours ago, dredstar said:

Just spent half an hour updating my profile picture, as the profile page refuses to accept any JPG bigger than 100k. Even then, asks for me to crop it smaller anyway

Admittedly, my image software is older than this website...

Well, at least it's done, and I won't have to do it again....

It looks to be a default software setting i'm glad you managed to wrangle it though!.

2 hours ago, carnage_lee said:

Nice job and great to see old Yoggie back with us!

Thanks Lee. There's still a lot to do, which will take a little while but we're getting on with it. ;-)

jorune

The site loads faster, well done to all who enabled this to happen.

FreddieF

New site looks great, Paul. No issues with logging in either (phew!).

yockenthwaite

I had to login afresh on my iPad this morning, but maybe I didn't tick "remember me" last night. Both my iPod touch and Mac Mini have stayed logged in so far.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now